Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Times here in Arkansas sure have changed.

Started by Virgil, March 01, 2018, 12:11:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Virgil

8 in state offers to this point and non of them have committed to the Hogs.  I remember when those kids would commit right on the spot.  I guess the blame is all the tv coverage which exposes too many teams.  These kids just don't bleed razorback red like they used too. 
It's not what you push but what pushes you!!

razorpimp

The world is a smaller place now, you can be fans of any school easily and still watch them all the time!

31to6

Quote from: Virgil on March 01, 2018, 12:11:21 pm
8 in state offers to this point and non of them have committed to the Hogs.  I remember when those kids would commit right on the spot.  I guess the blame is all the tv coverage which exposes too many teams.  These kids just don't bleed razorback red like they used too. 
New staff making new connections. They were almost 100% focused on 2018 until just recently.

Too early to be too worried.

Hoggish1

I liked the world when we had black and white TV better.... LMAO

31to6

Quote from: Hoggish1 on March 01, 2018, 12:35:25 pm
The internet was better before web browsers too...

NoogaHog

Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

Bubba's Bruisers

Creating a winning-tradition type program will change that.  These kids have grown up seeing mostly mediocrity come out of Fayetteville.  A nationally irrelevant program.  They are talented enough to garner lots of attention from actual winning programs.  They have real options.  Those types usually require more convincing. 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

razorbacker3

Most kids are told to make your official visits. That way they can see places they wouldn't normally, be treated like a BMOC, and get lots of free stuff just for visiting. Recruiting is much more competitive than it use to be.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: razorbacker3 on March 01, 2018, 01:10:58 pm
Most kids are told to make your official visits. That way they can see places they wouldn't normally, be treated like a BMOC, and get lots of free stuff just for visiting. Recruiting is much more competitive than it use to be.
Not only that, but unless you are a blue chip, most offers stop coming in after you commit. Who doesn't want more schools to offer you a full scholarship? It makes you feel good about yourself. The only thing that matters is who signs with Arkansas in February.
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Smashmouth2004

These kids want to see how many offers they can get. It's a contest with them!

East TN HAWG

I just don't see this as an Arkansas thing.  I believe it is happening everywhere not named Alabama. 

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: razorbacker3 on March 01, 2018, 01:10:58 pm

So we wouldn't take a commit prior to the kid taking official visits?
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Vantage 8 dude

In the end all that matters is WHERE they commit. Not necessarily when.

Snout team

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on March 01, 2018, 03:39:33 pm
In the end all that matters is WHERE they commit. Not necessarily when.

True to some degree.  But teams who have been poor recruiting schools and have turned it around usually started by getting a few highly rated kids to commit early and those kids enticed others to join.  It is not our only hope of having a strong class but it sure would help. 

That said, I am still hopeful that the best players from this instate class will end up being hogs.
The scout team (snout team) is an important part of the team although it gets little credit.

ChicoHog

March 01, 2018, 11:34:11 pm #14 Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 12:04:37 am by ChicoHog
Quote from: East TN HAWG on March 01, 2018, 02:43:28 pm
I just don't see this as an Arkansas thing.  I believe it is happening everywhere not named Alabama. 
Actually a lot of Alabama kids also get offers from Auburn because the state is split.  Ohio is a good example as Ohio St is the only power 5 school in the state and they produce a lot of talent.  They rarely lose a kid that they offer.  This year they actually lost a top 5 star O-lineman to Clemson.  Great to see Urban Liar get rejected by an in-state kid!

#1 STUNNA

Dont plan on the top recruits making a decision anytime soon.

Richard Davenport

I think a lot of has to do that kids never have to walk 10 miles barefooted in a foot of snow. JK of course. Different times.

DeltaBoy

I remember when a kid from Pine Bluff went to OU back in the 1980's we all about had a stroke .  I remember boys saying they would walk to the hill barefooted with a full seabag to just wear the red and play for the Hogs.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

sickboy

I do think the internet and sports broadcast 24/7 has really changed the landscape of college athletics in particular. It used to be that you were only exposed to teams outside your state or area once in a blue moon. Now, I can watch every Boise State game if I wanted. I remember in the 90's feeling like the only consciousness I had of Boise State was Houston Nutt... which was a local connection.

The world is transforming from a world where we live in small tribes and exchange values and traditions from the people around us, to one big tribe where we can pick and choose who we want in our own tribe.

Pig in the Pokey

::)
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Hoggish1 on March 01, 2018, 12:35:25 pm

You're gonna get old one of these days, if you're lucky... ;)
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Richard Davenport on March 02, 2018, 09:34:32 am
I think a lot of has to do that kids never have to walk 10 miles barefooted in a foot of snow. JK of course. Different times.

Now they take a bus even if the school is only a block away and if there is even a 5% chance of snow they close the school for three days.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

ChicoHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 02, 2018, 02:30:04 pm
Now they take a bus even if the school is only a block away and if there is even a 5% chance of snow they close the school for three days.
LOL!!  Welcome to the PC world we now live in! 

RockyMtnHog

Quote from: sickboy on March 02, 2018, 11:32:03 am
I do think the internet and sports broadcast 24/7 has really changed the landscape of college athletics in particular. It used to be that you were only exposed to teams outside your state or area once in a blue moon. Now, I can watch every Boise State game if I wanted. I remember in the 90's feeling like the only consciousness I had of Boise State was Houston Nutt... which was a local connection.

The world is transforming from a world where we live in small tribes and exchange values and traditions from the people around us, to one big tribe where we can pick and choose who we want in our own tribe.

and how many "Likes" that they can get from a school on Twitter.
"On the Eighth Day, God created the Razorbacks!"