Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

State set to fire baseball coach Andy Cannizaro

Started by jbcarol, February 20, 2018, 05:48:44 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

AL.com sports‏Verified account @aldotcomSports

Mississippi State set to fire baseball coach Andy Cannizaro, reports say

QuoteState will announce the firing of baseball coach Andy Cannizaro on Tuesday, according to reports late Monday by 247 Sports and WCBI-TV.

Cannizaro's dismissal comes after just three games in the 2018 season, and is reportedly with cause. The school has neither confirmed the firing nor given a reason for the move.

39-year-old Cannizaro, a former major-league infielder and LSU assistant coach, took over at Mississippi State in 2017 after longtime baseball coach John Cohen moved up to athletics director. Cannizaro led the Bulldogs to a 40-27 record and an NCAA Super Regional berth in his first season on the job.

Mississippi State pitching coach Gary Henderson -- a former Kentucky head coach -- is expected to take over as interim coach.

Bulldogs (0-3) was swept [sic] at Southern Miss to open the season...
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Will Sammon‏Verified account @WillSammon

interestingly, couple player families I spoke to said the same things: all they know is they play JSU Wednesday and need to get their first win.

QuoteThe school hasn't confirmed the dismissal, but it is expected to happen on Tuesday morning. 247Sports.com first reported the story, and WCBI has confirmed it.

247 reported Cannizaro's dismissal will be with cause.

As of earlier tonight, players had not been notified of the move, sources said.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

AL.com sports
‏Verified account @aldotcomSports

Mississippi State baseball coach Andy Cannizaro resigned due to extramarital affair

QuoteFormer Mississippi State baseball coach Andy Cannizaro resigned due to an extramarital affair, according to an ESPN report.

Appearing on "Outside the Lines" Thursday, ESPN's Ryan McGee told host Bob Ley that Cannizaro had been conducting an affair with "an employee within the athletic department."

39-year-old Cannizaro resigned abruptly on Tuesday after coaching the Bulldogs in their season-opening series at Southern Miss over the weekend. In a statement issued by the school, Cannizaro admitted making "poor decisions" and asked for forgiveness, but did not cite a specific reason for his departure.

"I had a wonderful opportunity at Mississippi State, but unfortunately I made some poor decisions," Cannizaro said. "I hope Mississippi State University and all of the fans and people affected will one day forgive me."