Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How are programs like Okla St, OU, West Va, and TCU

Started by HognotinMemphis, January 23, 2018, 11:19:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HognotinMemphis

consistently out-recruiting and out-playing and out-ranking Arkansas?

If anyone SHOULD be able to bring Arkansas back to being nationally competitive, especially in what has been a weak SEC for past few years (maybe not so much this season), it would be a guy who was with Arkansas from 1985 to 2002: Mike Anderson. Has Arkansas even been in the final top 25 poll any year that Anderson has been the HC? Made the NCAAT 2 times in 6 years as a middling to low seed. 2-2 record in NCAAT.

Year 7 looks like yet another year of running in place: .500 in conference, give or take a game, which is a backslide from last year even though we start 4 seniors and have a fantastic freshman who contributes much. Another year of being unranked. Probably another year of not making the NCAAT.

At what point does this new AD look at Anderson and ignore the BS about the incoming class (it's always the next recruiting class that is going to make a long time head coach suddenly better than he has EVER been at coaching and winning) and realize this is as good as it is going to get with this guy so do I fire him now or let him run in place for another 3 or 4 years at pay of approx $3 million per season?
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Atlhogfan1

TCU - Was able to hire a top level coach because he played there.  A shame what happened to Jaylen Fisher.  Enjoyed watching him play this season.  No idea what their recruiting is shaping up to be going forward.

WV - Same as TCU.  The thing I think about when watching WV is this is similar to the defenses we were sold we were getting with Anderson.  Watching WV on offense can be painful. 

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

elksnort

Mike Anderson is a good coach. I don't think he is a VERY good coach though. When he gets the kind of players for his system (which I often wonder what it is), his teams can play very well. The word 'can' is important. We have seen what his team is capable of doing this season and last. But we have also seen how horrible they can play too.

After the 7 seasons, the should be no more acceptable excuses. In my opinion, if this team does not make the the NCAAt, then I would hope that Hunter Yurachek would replace him.

Whether any of this will happen, I don't know. But as a fan, I am fatigued of the radical inconsistency.

southeasthog

Quote from: HoginMemphis on January 23, 2018, 11:19:06 am

Has Arkansas even been in the final top 25 poll any year that Anderson has been the HC?

Once. 2015. Finished at ranked #21. Highest ranking in the AP at Arkansas is 18.

ShadowHawg

Most people even in this forum had this team winning 21-23 games and getting in the tourney.

They are on pace to do just that and whiners are acting like things have fallen over a cliff.

Supposedly Hoston sucked and was a terrible loss yet they curb stomped Wichita St on the road.

Ok St benefits from being in the highly overrated Big XII. That conference has a long track record of poor tournament performances but it doesn't stop their teams from being overrated every year.

The claim is they are the best conference again this year. So much so that TCU losing 5 of their last 8 has left them in the top 25.

Apples and oranges

BannerMountainMan

"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on January 23, 2018, 01:55:33 pm
Oklahoma st hasn't won a tourney game since 2009
People see what they want to see. If they don't, they'll use a different metric.

elksnort

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on January 23, 2018, 02:21:15 pm
People see what they want to see. If they don't, they'll use a different metric.
Agree with seeing what you want to see.
Here is what I see, make it to the NCAAt or get a different coach.

20gauge

As far as the metrics go that's on both sides of the coin. It's all in how you interpret the data.

What matters is if we are willing to accept it.

1highhog

Quote from: elksnort on January 23, 2018, 11:52:13 am
Mike Anderson is a good coach. I don't think he is a VERY good coach though. When he gets the kind of players for his system (which I often wonder what it is), his teams can play very well. The word 'can' is important. We have seen what his team is capable of doing this season and last. But we have also seen how horrible they can play too.

After the 7 seasons, the should be no more acceptable excuses. In my opinion, if this team does not make the the NCAAt, then I would hope that Hunter Yurachek would replace him.

Whether any of this will happen, I don't know. But as a fan, I am fatigued of the radical inconsistency.

As I expected from the beginning and was against hiring Mike, I knew hiring him was going to cost us big in the end, and it has and will continue to.   We have been also rans for going on 7 years under Anderson, and we can't fire him as anyone with half a lick of sense should have realized from the beginning.   We are stuck with Mike until he retires, my as well sit back and enjoy it since at least 90% of you were in favor of him being hired.  Mike tries to run the same type of system that Nolan did back in the early 90's, the game has changed but Mike hasn't changed anything about his approach to the game.  Take the full court press he runs every game week in and out, how many times does it work in a game against favorable competition?  It doesn't, we see teams with lesser talent streaking through it like a fart through cotton.  Mike surrounds himself with assistant coaches that are familiar and played for Nolan, normally a coach wants his assistants to be well versed in his coaching philosophy so that's normal, but the thing is is that some of these guys only know that one philosophy, we need better experience in our assistant coaches as well.

HogimusMaximus

But at least they make it there year in year out.  Get better Hogs.

Atlhogfan1

Ok St hasn't been anything special or even really relevant since Eddie.

Kruger has had wild up and down swings.  Too much of a mixed bag.  I think HiM was a little desperate and reached on this thread. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

26.2Hog

They won tourney games in 2013, 2014, and 2015.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 23, 2018, 03:19:43 pm
Ok St hasn't been anything special or even really relevant since Eddie.

Kruger has had wild up and down swings.  Too much of a mixed bag.  I think HiM was a little desperate and reached on this thread.
Everyone replied about the same 1 of the 4 I listed. Forget Okla St. What about OU? What about TCU? What about West Va? Am I reaching with those 3 too? Those 3 have such a wonderful basketball tradition...many Sweet 16's, Elite 8's, FF's, a couple of NC games, multiple conf championships over the past 40 yrs, right?
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

hogwood

Quote from: HoginMemphis on January 23, 2018, 11:19:06 am
consistently out-recruiting and out-playing and out-ranking Arkansas?

If anyone SHOULD be able to bring Arkansas back to being nationally competitive, especially in what has been a weak SEC for past few years (maybe not so much this season), it would be a guy who was with Arkansas from 1985 to 2002: Mike Anderson. Has Arkansas even been in the final top 25 poll any year that Anderson has been the HC? Made the NCAAT 2 times in 6 years as a middling to low seed. 2-2 record in NCAAT.

Year 7 looks like yet another year of running in place: .500 in conference, give or take a game, which is a backslide from last year even though we start 4 seniors and have a fantastic freshman who contributes much. Another year of being unranked. Probably another year of not making the NCAAT.

At what point does this new AD look at Anderson and ignore the BS about the incoming class (it's always the next recruiting class that is going to make a long time head coach suddenly better than he has EVER been at coaching and winning) and realize this is as good as it is going to get with this guy so do I fire him now or let him run in place for another 3 or 4 years at pay of approx $3 million per season?

Except the only program out performing us consistently since CMA got here is WVU. TCU no. This is the first year they have been good in a long time. OKST, yeah if you want to count all their sketchy recruiting they just got busted for and all the disappointing seasons under Ford. OU - has had recent success but they were not consistently this good until Buddy Hiekd was a junior so like the last 4 years...

HawgsPolo

Go Cubs Go!!!!!

Occams Razorback

I lived in Morgantown in 1992 - we got to go to several WVU games and had a great time - their fans were very enthusiastic - I told some that they had a great thing going - one fellow asked where I was from then and scoffed when he heard I was from Arkansas (WVU was like in the Metro Conference or maybe the Big East back then) - he was laughing because he said the Mountaineers were Podunk City compared to Arkansas and weren't anywhere near our level - this was after we joined the SEC and others respected where we were - in the upper echelon of college basketball - we were an established PROGRAM - not just a decent team now and again - what a flip flop we've done
If it makes crumbs, it's probably not good for you.

26.2Hog

Quote from: 26.2Hog on January 23, 2018, 03:28:30 pm
They won tourney games in 2013, 2014, and 2015.

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on January 23, 2018, 04:00:09 pm
Wrong

Sports Reference says they won a tourney game in '13, '14, and '15. 

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/oklahoma-state/

After checking other sites, I believe they got it wrong.  I stand corrected.

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: 26.2Hog on January 23, 2018, 04:33:55 pm
Sports Reference says they won a tourney game in '13, '14, and '15. 

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/oklahoma-state/

After checking other sites, I believe they got it wrong.  I stand corrected.
we should start doing that..oh wait we actually have won a games 2 out of the last 3 years and you keep doing that and you'll find yourself further
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

BannerMountainMan

Also we just signed Oklahomas top player! Keyshawn!!

bkjbearcat

Quote from: elksnort on January 23, 2018, 11:52:13 am

If your in a Mid-Major MA is the right coach for you. Not a Power five school. Right now I think MA would have trouble with the American, Big East and MW. He was a nostalgia act that has run it's corse.
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

sadhogfan

Quote from: ShadowHawg on January 23, 2018, 12:24:17 pm
Most people even in this forum had this team winning 21-23 games and getting in the tourney.

They are on pace to do just that and whiners are acting like things have fallen over a cliff.

HogimusMaximus

rude1

Making the tourney should be a requirement to continue on. No coach should be allowed to stay here with 2 tourney visits in 7 seasons. CMA has struggled with roster his whole time here, and this current roster short comings are a direct reflection of that. Needs to win now to continue to show he has this program on steady ground.

HawgsPolo

Quote from: rude1 on January 24, 2018, 05:12:51 pm
Making the tourney should be a requirement to continue on. No coach should be allowed to stay here with 2 tourney visits in 7 seasons. CMA has struggled with roster his whole time here, and this current roster short comings are a direct reflection of that. Needs to win now to continue to show he has this program on steady ground.

I guess you forgot what JL said. The count didn't start until year 4
Go Cubs Go!!!!!

mykidsdad

Quote from: rude1 on January 24, 2018, 05:12:51 pm

except for it is 2 in 6 years and the first 2 were rebuilding (you forget to mention that), and 2 of 3 last 3 years and soon to be 3-4. if you are going to be obtuse, then at least be correct and get your facts straight! FAKE FAN!

Oklahawg

Thread has a troll-ish feel to it.

Exhibit A: beat OU this year on a neutral court. That looks pretty impressive right now

Exhibit B: TCU's extensive inclusion in "sleeper Sweet 16" lists over the past decade. Or not.

West Virginia was able to find their own Bobby Petrino, a largely unhireable coach at many schools despite his impressive coaching skills.

OU gets credit for the Buddy Hield and having a very underrated coach.

In terms of raw coaching prowess, Huggins and Krueger trump Anderson. They are pretty solid coaches so that is no crime. Anderson is not a world-beater, but he is solid. He would benefit greatly from the SEC returning to its normal "fair to middling" overall skillset.

Note that the SEC is slated to get 8 teams in the Dance and the Big 12 5-6. Seems we fair okay.

I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Oklahawg on January 24, 2018, 06:58:58 pm
Thread has a troll-ish feel to it.

Exhibit A: beat OU this year on a neutral court. That looks pretty impressive right now

Exhibit B: TCU's extensive inclusion in "sleeper Sweet 16" lists over the past decade. Or not.

West Virginia was able to find their own Bobby Petrino, a largely unhireable coach at many schools despite his impressive coaching skills.

OU gets credit for the Buddy Hield and having a very underrated coach.

In terms of raw coaching prowess, Huggins and Krueger trump Anderson. They are pretty solid coaches so that is no crime. Anderson is not a world-beater, but he is solid. He would benefit greatly from the SEC returning to its normal "fair to middling" overall skillset.

Note that the SEC is slated to get 8 teams in the Dance and the Big 12 5-6. Seems we fair okay.
Slated? what does that mean? I do not feel that is a certainty at this point.

Mjs84

Any way you want to slice it, the bottom line is this,
MIKE ANDERSON HASN'T DONE A GOOD JOB.  It's been a disappointing 7 years.  MA obviously has some mental block that keeps him from winning on the road with his teams.  I don't see that trend ending anytime soon, no matter what recruits happen to be enlisted.  I don't care if someone wants to argue his first 5 years were rebuilding or he had to get the right players or made the tourney 2 times in 3 years.  It's all hogwash when you look at his entire body of work here.  Every season he is in danger of repeating the same mistakes of last year.  It's the same conversation every time.  If he's here for 15 years and can't win road games he will be remembered as a failure.   He's definitely not going anywhere this year.  However, the rest of the nation would enjoy the spectacle of seeing Arkansas fire both its football & basketball coaches along with the Athletic director in the same respective seasons.  Hell, I get a kick out of it just thinking about it.

ShadowHawg

We won over 50% of our road games just last season. That is outstanding in today's college basketball.

PonderinHog

Quote from: ShadowHawg on January 25, 2018, 05:31:17 am
We won over 50% of our road games just last season. That is outstanding in today's college basketball.
Fake news!

pignatious

Excuse time is over for Mike. Year 7 he should be having this program humming along and in the tournament on the regular. He either gets in and wins a game or he should be done. End of story. Move on to someone else who can get us back where we should be...2nd to 3rd best program in the SEC.
Freedom is never free.

tomw

anderson said in an interview recently that they are still rebuilding...what? after 7 years they are rebuilding?? has had plenty of time to rebuild and have it a good program..mediocre coach and mediocre team struggling to beat mediocre sec teams...hogs are just a couple plays of being 0 for in sec play...time for a change

The_Iceman

Oklahoma is doing good right now because they had a really strong in state class and didn't lose those best players to Kentucky, Florida, and heck even Minnesota. Really an Arkansas model, just not failing at it like we did.

Oklahoma States two 4-stars in their 2017 class are from Florida. Before that, it was Texas and OK recruits.

However, Look at the 2017 and 2018 recruiting classes for LSU right now. They are recruiting 4 and 5 stars NATIONALLY.

Auburn went to Connecticut for 5-star Herron, and mostly went to Georgia and Alabama for the rest.

What Mike needs to do is continuing doing what he has done from 2016 to 2018: land the in state players, and recruit Oklahoma and Texas hard. That needs to be the focus. Then fill in the gaps with JUCOs and maybe a few kids from Louisana, Alabama, and Missouri.

If Mike can consistently keep his recruiting classes between 20 and 30 every year, we will be in good shape as a program. But, you absolutely can't have back to back years like 2014 and 2015. That sets the program back and will create logjam classes by having to fill too many gaps with JUCOs.

Beaverfever

If will wade is getting blue chip players from the Northeast legitimately then he is one of the best recruiters in the country.  That's a big if. 

Hoggish1

Quote from: Oklahawg on January 24, 2018, 06:58:58 pm

Unfortunately that is not going to happen...  So, the mighty Arkansas has settled for solid?

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: pignatious on January 25, 2018, 07:57:57 am
Excuse time is over for Mike. Year 7 he should be having this program humming along and in the tournament on the regular. He either gets in and wins a game or he should be done. End of story. Move on to someone else who can get us back where we should be...2nd to 3rd best program in the SEC.
Sutton and Richardson at season 7 had accomplished great things. This guy has done nothing in conference and won a couple of 1st rd games in NCAAT. That is his entire body of work in 7 seasons. Very mediocre at best.

twistitup

Mediocre...maybe

BUT we are on track to meet expectations.

Either expectations are too low or we are just finding something to be unhappy about

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

RazorWhacker

The biggest frustration with Mike Anderson for me are 1) the continuing lack of focus on a couple of fundamentals that could've made the difference in a couple of losses becoming wins. Blocking out and rebounding therefore limiting the opponent's second chance baskets and free throw shooting percentage. 2) His teams continue to have a lack of focus and effort in road games, like they are already defeated when the leave NWA.

We've seen the potential in a couple of stretches over the last couple of years but they are always followed by stretches of disappointing performances. It gets tiring and I'm ready for him to change that or for us to change coaches. IMO, this should be the year he makes a deep tournament run, or he should move on.

ParkerSchnabel

Quote from: ShadowHawg on January 23, 2018, 12:24:17 pm

Supposedly Hoston sucked and was a terrible loss yet they curb stomped Wichita St on the road.

Ok St benefits from being in the highly overrated Big XII. That conference has a long track record of poor tournament performances but it doesn't stop their teams from being overrated every year.

The claim is they are the best conference again this year. So much so that TCU losing 5 of their last 8 has left them in the top 25.

Apples and oranges

Logic don't go around here law dog... Ca-peesh ?

Razorback de Nosferatu

Anderson's inconsistency is the main problem.

It's one thing to lose some games because the league is better and a player or two has an off day.  It's another to sleepwalk out of the gate for what seems like a month's worth of games, having to repeatedly dig yourself out of 15-20 point deficits, frequently against equal or lesser teams. 

This in the same year in which you beat Oklahoma.  When you came into SEC play sitting pretty, arguably underrated, with a fantastic RPI.

The SEC is better this year.  But there's no excuse to see this talented, veteran "fastest 40" team looking like they're chugging NyQuil, digging frequently insurmountable holes as they stand around lifelessly on offense, waiting on one guy to sink low percentage jump shots as the shot clock is expiring. 

Had the Hogs shown up and blasted Mississippi State and LSU like they should have, we probably wouldn't be having this discussion.  Nobody expected Arkansas to go undefeated in conference play.  But a month's worth of what appears to be slow motion hero ball with several inexplicable blowout losses has folks rightfully concerned.

Sometimes it's not that you lose, it's how you lose.  In both wins and losses, this hasn't looked anything like "fastest 40" basketball since SEC play started.

bkjbearcat

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 26, 2018, 07:17:26 am
Coaching.....................

And recruiting.....some coaches will do whatever it takes to get top talent. Others just act shocked when said talent goes to KY or Miss. St. Guess which one MA is.
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

HawgsPolo

Go Cubs Go!!!!!

King Kong

January 27, 2018, 12:10:21 pm #45 Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 12:52:42 pm by King Kong
When the conference is down (or RPI is down he because they played easy schedules)  it's actually harder to make the tournament. Wins mean less

If the league had a better RPI MA's year 3 team would have made the tournament.

And I disagree that all the teams listed are consistently out recruiting, playing and ranking Arkansas. But the OP isn't known for making good posts

TCU hasn't made the Tournament since 1998. We beat OU this year and they didn't make the tournament last year. Did go to the Final 4 the year before that. OSU hasn't have much better success than us over the last few years.

WV's doing well. But Huggins has been there a long time and has had non tournament seasons and losing seasons. Not a prefect ride

Tortfeasor

What I don't understand is our press. When we do it, why we do it, and how it leads to wide opens baskets for opponents. The last few years WV's press has been much more effective than ours. Why can we not adapt and run it different?

bkjbearcat

Quote from: Tortfeasor on January 27, 2018, 01:42:00 pm
What I don't understand is our press. When we do it, why we do it, and how it leads to wide opens baskets for opponents. The last few years WV's press has been much more effective than ours. Why can we not adapt and run it different?

Coaching.........

razorhead94

And..........all 4 of these teams lost to SEC teams this weekend.  BUMP
"Primetime is whenever we play" - Jack Kenley 2019 OmaHogs

Wooderson

Quote from: Tortfeasor on January 27, 2018, 01:42:00 pm

How did it look to you against OSU?
Give me liberty, or give me death!