Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Track open for Workouts?

Started by HawgWild, January 04, 2018, 11:52:12 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HawgWild

Haven't heard anything about this. Been pretty cold so far this week. Have any days been missed because the track was frozen?

TIA

hogoffate

no workouts so far this week other than 12/31

HawgWild

I bet everyone has a case of barn fever. One week until opening day!

kingoftherapids

they are stir crazy. they should be able to work tomorrow later in the morning.

cbhawg03

Quote from: kingoftherapids on January 04, 2018, 07:36:00 pm
they are stir crazy. they should be able to work tomorrow later in the morning.

Couple questions

Guess on how many actually missed a work?

Can you list the horses that run opening weekend that missed a work?

kingoftherapids

It was a Dang Calvary charge on the track this morning. I think every horse got out and stretched their legs.  Not many full blown works today when I was there.  I maybe saw 5 or 6 that I would classify as getting down and dirty.   Talked to moquett and a jockey agent and they said entries opening weekend shouldn't be affected that much. I would have thought otherwise. The next couple days will be huge. One went down this morning that I saw and I honestly thought the horse was dead.  The horse in front suddenly stopped and turned sideways and the filly behind her tboned the sideways stopped horse. Didn't move for a while then when the trailer pulls up she went to her feet and walked onto the trailer.  She is extremely sore and I went by the barn to give her some lovin tonight.  She wasn't even interested in food.  That's saying a lot.  She was going to run opening weekend but that will be delayed most likely. 

hogoffate

"The next couple days will be huge."
I agree completely.  I remember in Dave Litfin's book, he said in the winter, sometimes the thing to do is find the horse that's still "in shape".  It could be a factor on opening weekend. 

Assmussen and a couple of others have horses that train in Louisiana and run at OP.  They might be worth a long look opening weekend if they are entered and haven't missed any time training.