Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Reality has finally set in for me on hog football

Started by houstonoutgusin, December 09, 2017, 11:17:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

houstonoutgusin

I have lived in NWA all my life, attending hog football games since I could walk. I graduated from the UofA. I have always seen our program as being on the verge of being elite.

For whatever reason, this morning reality came for a visit and I can see our program as outsiders must see it.

Like many of you I had high hopes for a big name AD and an even bigger name coach.

The reality - we hired some AD from Houston and doubled his salary. Hope he works out but may be in over his head as this is a huge promotion for him. It is a gamble hire. I bet most had to google his name to even see who he was.

Then we hired a HC. I was underwhelmed.  Again, not a big name hire but someone with upside. I hope he works out but this is another gamble hire.

This is where reality set in - the best we could do is some AD from Houston and a risky head coach hire. I sincerely want both to work out and think there is a chance that will happen, but we are definitely "that" program. A program that can not attract big names. A program that has to settle for up and comers and hope the gamble pays off. A program that has to do more with less.

I had us up on a pedestal way too long and finally realize where we are. Hope we can climb back up from here.

farmhawg

From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

thebignasty

Is Florida elite?

For every Spurrier or Urban they've got Mcelwains an d Zooks littered throughout.  Coach hiring is a risky business unto itself. 

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: houstonoutgusin on December 09, 2017, 11:17:34 am
I have lived in NWA all my life, attending hog football games since I could walk. I graduated from the UofA. I have always seen our program as being on the verge of being elite.

For whatever reason, this morning reality came for a visit and I can see our program as outsiders must see it.

Like many of you I had high hopes for a big name AD and an even bigger name coach.

The reality - we hired some AD from Houston and doubled his salary. Hope he works out but may be in over his head as this is a huge promotion for him. It is a gamble hire. I bet most had to google his name to even see who he was.

Then we hired a HC. I was underwhelmed.  Again, not a big name hire but someone with upside. I hope he works out but this is another gamble hire.

This is where reality set in - the best we could do is some AD from Houston and a risky head coach hire. I sincerely want both to work out and think there is a chance that will happen, but we are definitely "that" program. A program that can not attract big names. A program that has to settle for up and comers and hope the gamble pays off. A program that has to do more with less.

I had us up on a pedestal way too long and finally realize where we are. Hope we can climb back up from here.

Too bad you won't be with us, but .  .  .  Bye.

HawgNthaWater

do yourself a favor and get out some. you're too close and it's causing a bias you can't over come. things aren't as the appear in your head.
"Listen old man, it's 4th and 1. Either stand up and watch, or just imagine the sh*t like you did during the golden era of radio!"

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: HawgNthaWater on December 09, 2017, 11:22:10 am
do yourself a favor and get out some. you're too close and it's causing a bias you can't over come. things aren't as the appear in your head.

He's first and foremost a Gus fan.  Note his name.

Hogtrillian

Bobby Petrino was an 'elite' coach. Bret Bielema was considered a good coach. There were 10 FBS openings this round of the carousel, and our administration tried their best to lure a good coach (I would not call Malzahn elite yet) but ultimately we were just getting played. I think Morris has the potential to be an elite coach, at least a very good coach and that's what our administration saw in him and honestly I think it was the best possible hire.

farmhawg

From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

sowmonella

I would suggest you stay away from Razorback message boards and find yourself a team to support.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

greasy_corner

Your moniker says it all.  Must be tough having your hero show his true colors.

Deuce Pigelow

Weve won 1 national champ, 53 yers ago. And even that one is debated. We havent won a conference champ in almost 30 years. The ONLY thing weve won in the last 50 years is the 77 Orange Bowl. Our state produces 5 D1 recruits a year. What is it about our job that makes our fans think we are "elite"??

jimmur74

No good Troll. Good Riddance

Farmer Hogget

Last time Arkansas hired the coach of a Power 5 school who had just won 3 conference championships in a row.  Unprecedented in modern college football.  How did that work out exactly?

colbs

How many programs are hiring proven coaches these days?  Honestly not many.  LSU-Orgeon(never has had success as a HC), Auburn-Malzhan(when hired had only 1 year HC experience), Alabama-Saban(Home run, proven HC), MSU-Moorhead(1st HC job), Ole Miss-Luke(was interim but promoted to HC), A&M-Fisher(proven HC but paid a ton for him), Missouri-Odum(first time HC when hired), Kentucky-Stoops(first time HC when hired), Florida-Mullen(great hire, proven HC), Tenner-Pruitt(First time HC), Georgia-Smart(was a first time HC when hired), Vandy-Mason(First time HC when hired), Scar-Muschamp(unsuccessful HC when hired).

So 3 schools out of 14 hires are a HC from another P5 school or NFL team that had proven success.  All other hires were coordinators or HC from non-P5 schools. 

redeye

Quote from: HawgNthaWater on December 09, 2017, 11:22:10 am

Yep, this should be good for him.

houstonoutgusin

Some people are just dumb. I am not a troll. The name I picked was from when Houston was here. I am no longer a Gus fan. I am a Razorback fan and always will be. Just saying we are not elite. Our recent hires prove that. I also stated that I hope these hires work out and believe there is a chance of that happening. Read the whole thing before bashing. Geez. Some of you need a dose of reality. How many of you had to google CCM when he was announced?  Proves my point.

wachhog

We "attracted" two big names n recent times. One turned the program around immediately and the other set the program back YEARS. we can thank Long and White for the state of our football rogram today.

searkhogfan

kp72204

What's the last program to become powerhouse w/o built in recruiting base? Nebraska once was but couldn't sustain it. Kansas had 1 good year but In a weak (down) conference. I suppose you could say Boise  St, but they used trick plays ( very entertaining) to beat good teams. When it was time for bcs rankings their schedule hurt them. Bottom line: until football becomes religion in this state, we're at right about where you think we're at. There is hope though, can't ever lose that!

Vantage 8 dude

Well just because YOU didn't approve doesn't necessarily make either hire a bad one. How about letting both do their jobs a year or so before laying out the pity party ??? :o >:(

FrJoseph

AR has won 3 meaningful games since the 1960s.

The 1976 Colton Bowl over a good SEC team (Georgia)
The 1978 Orange Bowl
The LSU game that sent AR to its first BSC Bowl game. (And gave that one away in typical AR fashion)

I don't really get the "football tradition" thing. It is entertaining (sometimes) with some
Good seasons littered about here and there. Look at the really Elite Coaches and the circumstances they left in. AR has had 3. (Nutt wasn't one of them 😎😎) Since 1976. All 3 were knocking on the door of making AR elite and then was removed. I'm not very good at math, but that is a long time.

Fr Joe
You made us for yourself oh God, and are hearts are restless until they rest in you.

searkhogfan

DeltaBoy

We made several coaching hires that crippled us.
Lou over Jimmy Johnson
Ken Hatfield over Jimmy
Hiring HDN over Tubberville
Hiring Smile.
Hiring Bret B
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.