Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bringing home venison for Thanksgiving

Started by jbcarol, November 19, 2017, 06:44:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

QuoteFor hunters who hope to add a venison roast to the turkey on the table this week, now is the time. With some freezing nights arriving just in time for the opening of the general gun season, the whitetails should be on the move ...
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

woodrow hog call

They were not on the move Sat in the 30 to 40 MPH winds, at least not where I was hunting. I would rather of had 20 degrees and no wind than sitting through that stuff.

Does anybody think the first phase of the breeding has died down? Driving to work it looked more like the deer were back to their normal feeding patterns.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

Ragnar Hogbrok

My brother bagged a seven point this Thanksgiving morning. In and out of the woods in 30 minutes.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

195bc

My 15-yr-old tagged this decent deer Thanksgiving afternoon west of Ft. Smith.

HogBreath

Quote from: 195bc on November 25, 2017, 12:24:19 pm

Decent deer my foot...that's a hoss and a half right there...a great buck.  Congrats to your son.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

woodrow hog call

Quote from: 195bc on November 25, 2017, 12:24:19 pm

Really nice buck congrats to your son, and to you, that's memory for life right there.

195bc

The rest of the season is another story. My 12-yr-old son shot a big deer on Oklahoma's opening day a week and half ago. The deer was facing us at 50 yards and looking right as, so I told him to shoot it right in the middle of the chest/neck. I was a little worried because he uses a .223, but the kids have killed a lot of deer with that caliber, and we've found every deer they've shot. But this one was a fairly big-bodied deer, and the shot placement made me nervous. He shot, the deer gave a huge leg kick and ran off hunched down, all the signs of a great shot (and the kid is a dead-eye, so I had little doubt the shot wasn't good). We never found that deer. Poor kid was devastated. Hell, I was sick. I was fairly certain that deer was dead somewhere. Well last night, we were in the same stand and that buck showed up. Unfortunately, he had broken off one side since opening day. We put the thing on the ground this time with a broadside shot. And guess what, it had a hole right in the middle of its neck. That shot was actually right where I told him to aim, but it barely missed every vital component in its neck. Taxidermist is looking at replicating the broken side, and we're also going to look for it. We have trail cam shots, so  we can show him exactly what it looked it when he shot it the first time. Big deer, 12 inch G2s, 9 inch G3s, long main beams that nearly touched at the tips, live weight was just over 200 lbs. You can see in one of the pics the festering wound on the neck where he was originally hit.

woodrow hog call

Quote from: 195bc on November 29, 2017, 10:55:34 am
The rest of the season is another story. My 12-yr-old son shot a big deer on Oklahoma's opening day a week and half ago. The deer was facing us at 50 yards and looking right as, so I told him to shoot it right in the middle of the chest/neck. I was a little worried because he uses a .223, but the kids have killed a lot of deer with that caliber, and we've found every deer they've shot. But this one was a fairly big-bodied deer, and the shot placement made me nervous. He shot, the deer gave a huge leg kick and ran off hunched down, all the signs of a great shot (and the kid is a dead-eye, so I had little doubt the shot wasn't good). We never found that deer. Poor kid was devastated. Hell, I was sick. I was fairly certain that deer was dead somewhere. Well last night, we were in the same stand and that buck showed up. Unfortunately, he had broken off one side since opening day. We put the thing on the ground this time with a broadside shot. And guess what, it had a hole right in the middle of its neck. That shot was actually right where I told him to aim, but it barely missed every vital component in its neck. Taxidermist is looking at replicating the broken side, and we're also going to look for it. We have trail cam shots, so  we can show him exactly what it looked it when he shot it the first time. Big deer, 12 inch G2s, 9 inch G3s, long main beams that nearly touched at the tips, live weight was just over 200 lbs. You can see in one of the pics the festering wound on the neck where he was originally hit.

Wow both of those are nice bucks. So glad the young son got another chance, that is a horrible feeling to not find one. Was the antler broken off at the base, or from the skull like it was shed?

Good job on your part as dad, putting your boys in position on those deer. Were you in a ground blind with the 12 year old?

DeltaBoy

Good looking boys with those Bucks. 
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

195bc

Quote from: woodrow hog call on November 29, 2017, 12:25:19 pm

Wow both of those are nice bucks. So glad the young son got another chance, that is a horrible feeling to not find one. Was the antler broken off at the base, or from the skull like it was shed?

Good job on your part as dad, putting your boys in position on those deer. Were you in a ground blind with the 12 year old?

The antler was broken above the pedicle/skull. There was still about an inch of shattered bone left. And right behind that base, the deer's hide was ripped to the skull. Looked apparent that another buck was able to get a tine(s), probably brow tine, around that base and torque it just right to break it. Thing is, there was some decent mass around the base (more than 5-inch circumference) so the force to break that beam had to be incredible. Now that I'm done guiding the kids for the year, maybe I can find the buck that did it and tag one myself. 

I was in a double ladder stand with the 12-year-old when we got the 8-pt, same stand for both encounters.

woodrow hog call

Yeah hopefully you do get the one that was bad enough to break that off, takes a considerable amount of force to do that.

I have been looking at the double ladder stands for getting the grandsons started, that's why I was asking, I have always used a climber but if I can one of them to sit with me I will gladly go to a ladder stand.