Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

University of Arkansas, Fayetteville

Started by Hogopolis, August 19, 2017, 02:28:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

arkmark

I can bite on the former editor explanation.  Sound like new editor trying to put his or her mark on what they produce.  However, throwing out an alternative, maybe the paper and/or the UA were talked to by the business and chamber of commerce types who wanted Fayetteville included  to push the  Fayetteville tie in to the flagship university as part of their branding ideas.  If you have the big school and all that it offers it does tend to  set you  apart from everyone else in the competition for growth of the community.  Just need to make sure people know it and don't forget it.  The  paper would not want to alienate the business community and the $$$ they put into advertising.  Another guess.

ImHogginIt

oldfart

Quote from: popcornhog on August 20, 2017, 12:25:38 am
And that's because the flagship UC is in Berkeley.

Typically the flagship is referred to Ux but you'll hear folks say UC Berkeley sometimes or UT Austin or UT Knoxville, etc.

i rhink the difference there is that there are several "main" campuses in the University of California system.  UCLA has probably been the best known for many years and was set apart because of that.. Cal berkely is normallly known as Cal.  most of the others do include the name of the location... UC Davis, UC santa cruz, etc.. 

PonderinHog

21chill

This goes way above Wally. Look no further than the largest investment banking firm off Wall St for your answer, partially motivated by potential upstart UALR football program.

PorkSoda

I can see why instate readers might want to know which UoA they are reading about.

Universities

University of Arkansas at Little Rock
University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences
University of Arkansas at Monticello
University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff
University of Arkansas at Fort Smith

Two-Year Colleges

Phillips Community College of the University of Arkansas
University of Arkansas Community College at Hope
University of Arkansas Community College at Batesville
Cossatot Community College of the University of Arkansas
University of Arkansas Community College at Morrilton
University of Arkansas Community College at Rich Mountain
University of Arkansas Pulaski Technical College
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

ImHogginIt

PorkSoda

"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

younghog

Quote from: ImHogginIt on August 19, 2017, 05:12:47 pm
I've been here 15 years and UT means UT down in Austin. When they mean the one here they say UT DALLAS.

Well I've been here since 94.. and the Ticket and that other station.. Say as I said.. Guess you forgot UT Arlington..
GO HOGS

ImHogginIt

Quote from: younghog on August 20, 2017, 06:28:16 pm
Well I've been here since 94.. and the Ticket and that other station.. Say as I said.. Guess you forgot UT Arlington..

Virtually everyone I know says UT Arlington and UT Dallas. When they say just UT everyone knows they mean Austin

Porked Tongue

Quote from: PorkSoda on August 20, 2017, 06:20:13 pm
I can see why instate readers might want to know which UoA they are reading about.

Universities

Two-Year Colleges

On the flipside, maybe those others need distinguished because they are NOT the main one.
Coke is Coke.  You label Diet Coke and Cherry Coke.

ricepig

Quote from: 21chill on August 20, 2017, 06:18:11 pm
This goes way above Wally. Look no further than the largest investment banking firm off Wall St for your answer, partially motivated by potential upstart UALR football program.

Do what?? If Stephens wishes to fund a football program at UALR, no one can stop him. I can't see how he would benefit in any way with demanding that Fayetteville be inserted in any article concerning the University of Arkansas.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Porked Tongue on August 20, 2017, 07:06:31 pm
On the flipside, maybe those others need distinguished because they are NOT the main one.
Coke is Coke.  You label Diet Coke and Cherry Coke.
the point is, if they are already in the habit of listing the campus, then they are likely just continuing that practice even when reporting about the main campus.

I'm not sure why people are so insecure about this.  are they secretly afraid the razorbacks are viewed as a directional school?

ricepig

Quote from: PorkSoda on August 20, 2017, 07:17:56 pm
the point is, if they are already in the habit of listing the campus, then they are likely just continuing that practice even when reporting about the main campus.

I'm not sure why people are so insecure about this.  are they secretly afraid the razorbacks are viewed as a directional school?

No, the point is it's never been called this in the paper since 1871, so why start now? I'm sure there's been an occasional listing like that, but in general terms, it hasn't.

Porked Tongue

Quote from: PorkSoda on August 20, 2017, 07:17:56 pm

Troll all you want.

Someone has arbitrarily decided to change the name.  A sole entity with an agenda.  The UA doesn't call itself that and to date no other form of media has taken up the quagmire.

My diploma has it right.  I call it by the right name.  No one I know uses it.  People who work for the paper don't use it.  Books don't reference it that way.  Old stories about past events and games involving the University don't reference it that way.

Me?  I don't like it but it's not taking air from my life.  It just helps me see how friggin petty some parts of media has become.  The DemRag has just decided to tear down a statue that doesn't offend anyone.  They are cowards.

Back to your fun.

Ragnar Hogbrok

At least our school isn't the poorly named "University of Maryland University College."  It really exists.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

ImHogginIt

Quote from: ricepig on August 20, 2017, 07:22:27 pm
No, the point is it's never been called this in the paper since 1871, so why start now? I'm sure there's been an occasional listing like that, but in general terms, it hasn't.

Exactly. And some of us want to know who connected with the paper made the decision to add it to the copy their sports reporters turn in for print and what is their agenda for doing so.

21chill

Nothing more than someone with an agenda taking a shot at the UofA. Every other explanation
is just a smokescreen

NotSoFastMyFriend

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 19, 2017, 05:03:44 pm
It's another crappy-minded move by the losers in charge of the Democrat-Gazette. They keep the Fayetteville vs. Little Rock war alive.

This times a thousand. It's a passive-aggressive, coward snitch move. Their way of trying to detach the UofA from the "rest of the state" by pulling the heartstrings of a large portion of their readership that have an unhealthy disdain for NWA. Transparently childish for anyone with half a brain.

PonderinHog

Quote from: ImHogginIt on August 20, 2017, 06:54:26 pm
Virtually everyone I know says UT Arlington and UT Dallas. When they say just UT everyone knows they mean Austin
Aggies call it Texas University.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Three and Snout on August 20, 2017, 01:20:54 am
Seems like a reasonable explanation.  There are several UA system campuses.

He doesn't write about UT in Texas or UM in Michigan, so he likely knows as much about that as you do.  Not enough people statewide care about what is happening at ASU-Newport.

This is a good point.  It shouldn't be necessary when your readership is almost exclusively instate and/or an Arkansas native.

Wally isn't the only one doing it. It's the ADG as a whole. The ADG Sports section includes articles about these schools. And yet, they do not refer to them in the same manner they do the UofA, Fayetteville.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

21chill

Quote from: NotSoFastMyFriend on August 20, 2017, 08:14:43 pm
This times a thousand. It's a passive-aggressive, coward snitch move. Their way of trying to detach the UofA from the "rest of the state" by pulling the heartstrings of a large portion of their readership that have an unhealthy disdain for NWA. Transparently childish for anyone with half a brain.

I know quite a few people that have already or will be cancelling their subscriptions over this very reason. 

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: PonderinHog on August 20, 2017, 09:22:17 am
It's the first letter, you idiots!

They obviously didn't have WR Glenn for 7th grade geography.

ricepig

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on August 20, 2017, 09:03:28 pm
They obviously didn't have WR Glenn for 7th grade geography.

"Momma come and get your child".

(notOM)Rebel123

gangstaback

Quote from: AP85 on August 19, 2017, 09:57:34 pm
You people are big babies. Good grief.

Agreed. Plenty of examples of major universities who survive this "shaming" and don't sulk about it every off season.

I actually enjoy them calling it Fayetteville so I don't have to defend the rest of the state all at once.

This and when people try to call it THE university of arkansas (sad copy) OR the U of A (confused with alabama).

VBCHog

Fire Wally Hall, Fire Wally Hall, Fire Wally Hall!

sowmonella

Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Seebs

Quote from: Seebs on August 19, 2017, 10:03:09 pm
You want to complain? This is the brainchild of David Bailey at the Demozette and it has everything to do with UALR being called Little Rock now.

If this cat is not a the biggest crescent dork in the tool box I do not know who is.

http://www.arkansasonline.com/staff/david-bailey/

I will state it again. This is the guy, David Bailey, Not Wally Hall. Wally has been spineless and without power for as long as Oompa Loompas roamed Wonkaville. It is directly from him. He's been with the paper since 1993 and became Managing editor a few years ago and looks like your typical paste eater.  If it bothers you do not buy the paper - that is the only way you get it changed. Wally is as toothless as a newborn and smells similarly. I've never witnessed someone coast on more mediocrity since a Dane Cook concert.

David Bailey would love to hear from you - not Wally  - he does what he's told.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on August 20, 2017, 08:26:41 am
Ah....the pen is mightier than the sword! I don't think he dislikes the Hogs at all, I just know that he holds grudges and uses his column to take "jabs" at those he feels wronged him, without worrying about a retort. Do you read the ADG daily?

Nope. I don't need to. I'll just call him or text him.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: bphi11ips on August 20, 2017, 09:16:13 am
I read the ADG/WholeHogSports every day.  It's the best place to find thorough info on the Hogs in one stop.  Just finished an article on Frank Broyles and shared it with my family.  Looking forward to watching the celebration of his life later today at the link provided.

I didn't care much for Wally Hall when he started out as a young journalist at the Democrat back when it was a yellow afternoon rag.  If the Gazette reported the sky was blue, the Democrat would claim it was green.  Pumping the ASU Indians was part of its strategy to provide an alternative to the Gazette.  In keeping with its National Inquirer tone, Wally came across as anti-Razorbacks.  He was just doing his job.

Over the years I've gotten to know Wally a bit.  He's a good guy who loves the Hogs  and Arkansas.  It's good to hear the Arkansas, Fayetteville policy isn't his idea.  I'm going to email him and tell him how annoying it is and hope anyone who feels the way I do will, too.  He'll pay attention and hopefully his boss will, too.

Good post. If there is one thing some might not know about Wally is his attention span. He notices a lot of things others don't and rarely forgets things. He will sometimes use those later when there isn't a lot going on for his column.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

younghog

Quote from: ImHogginIt on August 20, 2017, 06:54:26 pm

Maybe you should read my initial post..

"Actually in Texas if they start out with "University" they do say "of Texas, Austin" just saying living here in DFW. Now if they say UT its understood here.
Modify message "

~GO HOGS

GO HOGS

RazorRunner

Been a Razorback fan for 50+ years. As a 10 year old I had no trouble knowing who was being talked about when a sports conversation mentioned "Arkansas" or "the Razorbacks". I've lived in 2 SEC states in addition to Arkansas and when their fans or sports writers mention "Arkansas" or "the Arkansas game", no one there needs any additional explanation. The past few days' ADG articles on the death of Frank Broyles and his life keep mentioning the "University of Arkansas, Fayetteville"--What an insult to his legacy. 

ricepig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on August 21, 2017, 07:44:12 am
Nope. I don't need to. I'll just call him or text him.

Like that is suppose to impress me, lol.

humphrey

Quote from: PorkSoda on August 20, 2017, 06:20:13 pm

Universities

Two-Year Colleges

^^^^^^^^^^^^^  I think this has more to do with it than any newspaper editor.

The University of Arkansas System (uasys.edu) is the body that heads up all these different campuses (or, is it campi?).  It seems like it was a marketing thing that began around 2000 or so with the purpose of tying the various units together.  It seems to me like it was leveraging the brand of UAF to support the smaller, lesser-known places like UALR, UAFS, and the like.  I bet there's a bunch of specifics, too, about where money goes, ownership of resources, and all that stuff.

I think the newspapers refer to the flagship as "University of Arkansas, Fayetteville" because that is how the university refers to itself in all its communication and that, in turn, probably came down in a marketing directive from the UA System.

I wouldn't give a newspaper editor that much credit for changing things.

J-Five

Why does this bother so many people?  It's one extra word...seriously?  Does reading one more word give some folks a headache or something?  I don't understand the outrage...
"If the person you're criticizing is doing it better than you are, close your mouth"

RME

Quote from: The Chief on August 20, 2017, 07:25:39 pm
At least our school isn't the poorly named "University of Maryland University College."  It really exists.

Just imagine if we were similar in name to Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis. This board's collective head would explode.

Inhogswetrust

GunnerHawg70

Quote from: Sivad on August 19, 2017, 03:34:01 pm
I seriously doubt that.
And nobody thinks about UALR.
I thought UALR is contemplating of fielding a football program?!?!  Just wondering since nobody thinks of them...LOL ;)

bollweevil

The reference irritates me as well. But I'm wondering . . . does the ADG refer to ASU as Arkansas State University, Jonesboro? I haven't seen it. After all, ASU also has campuses in Newport and Beebe.  If they don't then someone at the ADG upper management definitely has an axe to grind with the UA.

humphrey

I'm not sure how ADG refers to them, but the Arkansas State University System and ASU both on their websites refer to the school as ASU and ASU-Jonesboro.

cityhog

UT - Arlington
UT - El Paso
UT - San Antonio
UTennessee - Martin
UC - San Diego

just off the top of my head

Three and Snout

Quote from: humphrey on August 21, 2017, 09:59:17 am
I think the newspapers refer to the flagship as "University of Arkansas, Fayetteville" because that is how the university refers to itself in all its communication and that, in turn, probably came down in a marketing directive from the UA System.

Uh...no.

DEVIL DOG HOG

Today, on Facebook, I saw two different post calling UT-Austin.
"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: humphrey on August 21, 2017, 04:44:42 pm
I'm not sure how ADG refers to them, but the Arkansas State University System and ASU both on their websites refer to the school as ASU and ASU-Jonesboro.

From Saturday's Ark-Dem Gazette:

Democrat-Gazette file photo
Friday was a mock game day in Jonesboro, but the team meal was very real.
Senior defensive end Ja'Von Rolland-Jones scarfed down the brisket, chicken and salad around 4 p.m., three hours before the team met at Centennial Bank Stadium at Arkansas State University for a three-quarter speed scrimmage in helmets, shirts and shorts.
ASU Coach Blake Anderson scheduled the day as a rehearsal for the Red Wolves' season opener at Nebraska, with the team following a schedule similar to what it will on Sept. 2 in Lincoln, Neb.
There was a team breakfast, followed by a gap of time, similar to what the players will experience when going back to their hotel rooms, attending position meetings and a stretching session on the field.
One hiccup for ASU was that Rolland-Jones scrimmaged with a defensive line that lost a key member Tuesday when tackle Dee Liner suffered a groin injury in a noncontact drill.
Liner, 6-3, 325 pounds, accounted for 8.5 tackles for loss last season, fourth most among ASU players. Anderson said Liner will be out two to six weeks.
The Red Wolves led the nation last season averaging 9.7 tackles for loss per game.
"It's fortunate that it's not a season-ending injury ... and it's unfortunate we don't have Dee," said Rolland-Jones, last season's Sun Belt Player of the Year who recorded 13.5 sacks and 30.5 tackles for loss. "He's a guy who's been here for the team. We want Dee, and more than likely we'll get him back."
Liner was ASU's first major injury loss suffered in camp, but the defense already lost senior linebacker Khari Lain to a season-long suspension on July 31.
Lain, who led the team with 81 losses in 2016, was suspended for not meeting an NCAA policy during the team's appearance in the 2016 Cure Bowl.
The losses of Lain and Liner will put ASU's defensive line depth to a test early in a season during which Anderson has placed an emphasis on the Red Wolves winning a game against a Power 5 opponent for the first time in his now four-year tenure.
Anderson's teams have been outscored 208-79 in five Power 5 games since 2014, including a 51-14 loss to Auburn last season when the Red Wolves gave up 706 total yards — the most by a defense under Anderson.
Rolland-Jones said defensive line coach Brian Early has stressed the importance of everybody pitching in, especially junior tackle Donovan Ransom.
"And honestly, that's made Ransom go a little harder," Rolland-Jones said.
Ransom recorded two tackles for loss and a sack in 12 games as a reserve last season.
Rolland-Jones described Ransom, 6-1, 304 pounds, as "a short guy with leverage" who will battle with sophomore Javier Carbonell (6-2, 297) to fill Liner's absence.
Liner was one of five ASU defenders who were named to the All-Sun Belt Conference preseason team, and a core group remains: Rolland-Jones, senior linebacker Kyle Wilson and defensive backs junior Justin Clifton and senior Blaise Taylor.
Rolland-Jones said he remains confident as the defense enters the final day of fall camp this morning.
"I feel like I've made some strides in some areas," Rolland-Jones said. "I feel like it's been the best fall camp since I've been here."

AirWarren

Quote from: DEVIL DOG HOG on August 21, 2017, 05:59:17 pm
Today, on Facebook, I saw two different post calling UT-Austin.

UT Austin.
UA Fayetteville.

See no issue with it.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: AP85 on August 21, 2017, 09:34:21 pm
UT Austin.
UA Fayetteville.

See no issue with it.

The question is, why the Dem-Gaz only does this for the University of Arkansas?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: tusksincolorado on August 20, 2017, 11:43:50 am
Sunday comics.....

When I need to read comics, I simply come on here...........................

tusksincolorado

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on August 22, 2017, 06:58:53 am
When I need to read comics, I simply come on here...........................

There's no color pictures....I have to have color pictures!
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.