Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

University of Arkansas, Fayetteville

Started by Hogopolis, August 19, 2017, 02:28:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogopolis

I read a lot of articles from numerous college teams and no one outside of Arkansas sports media refers to a power 5 conference team as university of _____, (city).   what is the problem with the journalist in our state??   It annoys the crap fire out of me!!  Texas media don't say the university of Texas, Austin.   OU media don't say OU, Norman.  It's time this practice stops!!! 

Headhog32

yeah it make me mad too. makes you think that there is another university that is worth being talked about.

Ragnar Hogbrok

There is UALR.  A lot of people think the flagship university is in the capital city. So, the distinction probably aids in that regard.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

Three and Snout

Quote from: The Chief on August 19, 2017, 02:47:34 pm
There is UALR.  A lot of people think the flagship university is in the capital city. So, the distinction probably aids in that regard.

Only those not from Arkansas.  Which is why it is curious that the ADG has started designating the U of A's location when their readers are almost all instate or from Arkansas.

grayhawg

UALR and UAPB both have been in the NCAA Basketball Tourney and UAFS is a top 25 division II school in Basketball as well. Possibly the reason for saying UA Fayetteville.

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: Three and Snout on August 19, 2017, 02:52:45 pm
Only those not from Arkansas.  Which is why it is curious that the ADG has started designating the U of A's location when their readers are almost all instate or from Arkansas.

I'm not a media person, but perhaps for those who read the paper who aren't from Arkansas or if their articles happen to get syndicated regionally/nationally in other papers?
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.

ricepig

Quote from: The Chief on August 19, 2017, 03:16:30 pm
I'm not a media person, but perhaps for those who read the paper who aren't from Arkansas or if their articles happen to get syndicated regionally/nationally in other papers?

It's an editorial decision by the ADG, numerous of their writers have said they have no control over it. If they leave out "Fayetteville" after the University of Arkansas, the copy editor will make sure it is included.

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: ricepig on August 19, 2017, 03:21:03 pm
It's an editorial decision by the ADG, numerous of their writers have said they have no control over it. If they leave out "Fayetteville" after the University of Arkansas, the copy editor will make sure it is included.

Makes sense as I'm sure they are thinking bigger than just the state.

Sivad

There is UALR.  A lot of people think the flagship university is in the capital city.
I seriously doubt that.
And nobody thinks about UALR.

ricepig

Quote from: The Chief on August 19, 2017, 03:25:25 pm
Makes sense as I'm sure they are thinking bigger than just the state.

Doubtful, I would suspect their out of state subscription numbers aren't anything great. I also doubt very many of their sports articles get picked up by other newspapers. If an out of state newspaper wants an Arkansas take on something going on in the state, they'll use the AP article.

Hogwild

Quote from: Hogopolis on August 19, 2017, 02:28:32 pm
I read a lot of articles from numerous college teams and no one outside of Arkansas sports media refers to a power 5 conference team as university of _____, (city).   what is the problem with the journalist in our state??   

The only one I can think of is  University of California Los Angles.

HamSammich

So we are UAF ? Cool. Doesn't bother me if we are winning.

AirWarren

Quote from: HamSammich on August 19, 2017, 03:54:15 pm
So we are UAF ? Cool. Doesn't bother me if we are winning.

Nothing wrong with being considered UAF.

ricepig

Quote from: AP85 on August 19, 2017, 04:06:32 pm
Nothing wrong with being considered UAF.

University of Alaska, Fairbanks?? I don't think it's a big deal but when the include it three paragraphs into a story when they've already mentioned Razorbacks or Hogs, it's a little redundant.

bennyl08

Quote from: ricepig on August 19, 2017, 04:11:32 pm
University of Alaska, Fairbanks?? I don't think it's a big deal but when the include it three paragraphs into a story when they've already mentioned Razorbacks or Hogs, it's a little redundant.

That's what I always think of with UAF. However, they also think it should just be University of Alaska. They are the flagship university of their state as well. There is UA-Anchorage, but that was until recently just a 2 year college and it has done nothing but lose money as a 4-year university which is straining UAF which is bleeding money to Anchorage.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Earl

I hate it. Why not just Razorbacks or Arkansas Razorbacks. I think most people could figure out who they are talking about.

bphi11ips

It just started and is absolutely unnecessary and annoying.  If it is an editorial policy applied to all sections of the ADG it needs to be eliminated from sports-related content.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

ImHogginIt

Quote from: ricepig on August 19, 2017, 03:21:03 pm

So we need to organize a boycott of the Demozette eh ?  >:(

Wonder who made the editorial decision

Biggus Piggus

I read a lot of articles from numerous college teams and no one outside of Arkansas sports media refers to a power 5 conference team as university of _____, (city).   what is the problem with the journalist in our state??   It annoys the crap fire out of me!!  Texas media don't say the university of Texas, Austin.   OU media don't say OU, Norman.  It's time this practice stops!!! 

It's another crappy-minded move by the losers in charge of the Democrat-Gazette. They keep the Fayetteville vs. Little Rock war alive.
[CENSORED]!

ricepig

Quote from: ImHogginIt on August 19, 2017, 05:00:38 pm

Editor??

Most have quit them a while ago. I'm not sure they care about subscribers calling in and bitching.

It's so dumb and distracting. and as said above to do it after referring. To the team as the razorbacks is so dumb. Does someone reading an article about the Arkansas Razorbacks not know what university it means?

Biggus Piggus

A lot of people think the flagship university is in the capital city.

It's not in Arkansas, Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Mississippi, or Missouri. This is hard?
[CENSORED]!

younghog

Actually in Texas if they start out with "University" they do say "of Texas, Austin" just saying living here in DFW. Now if they say UT its understood here.
GO HOGS

ImHogginIt

Quote from: ricepig on August 19, 2017, 05:04:51 pm
Editor??

Most have quit them a while ago. I'm not sure they care about subscribers calling in and bitching.

Their advertisers would mind if they catch hell for advertising with them because of it. By the posts already in this thread we can tell it is a hot button for Hog fans

ImHogginIt

Quote from: younghog on August 19, 2017, 05:09:20 pm
Actually in Texas if they start out with "University" they do say "of Texas, Austin" just saying living here in DFW. Now if they say UT its understood here.

I've been here 15 years and UT means UT down in Austin. When they mean the one here they say UT DALLAS.

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 19, 2017, 05:06:49 pm
It's not in Arkansas, Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Mississippi, or Missouri. This is hard?

Living in three other SEC states and North Carolina over the last 15 years, I've listened to local sports call-in shows and spoken to people who are from all over the U.S. (Army life).  The astute football fan, especially SEC fan, knows it's in Fayetteville.  A large portion of the casual fans or non-SEC fans seem to think Little Rock is where the U of A is located, especially when a game is in War Memorial in LR.  I actually had one guy from Alabama (where I now live) tell me he tried calling UALR for tickets a couple of years ago.

So, for some, apparently it's not common knowledge.  Most out-of-staters that have never been to or driven through Arkansas would have trouble naming another city in Arkansas that's not Little Rock.  From my experience, anyway.

ricepig

Quote from: The Chief on August 19, 2017, 05:15:12 pm
Living in three other SEC states and North Carolina over the last 15 years, I've listened to local sports call-in shows and spoken to people who are from all over the U.S. (Army life).  The astute football fan, especially SEC fan, knows it's in Fayetteville.  A large portion of the casual fans or non-SEC fans seem to think Little Rock is where the U of A is located, especially when a game is in War Memorial in LR.  I actually had one guy from Alabama (where I now live) tell me he tried calling UALR for tickets a couple of years ago.

So, for some, apparently it's not common knowledge.  Most out-of-staters that have never been to or driven through Arkansas would have trouble naming another city in Arkansas that's not Little Rock.  From my experience, anyway.

Guy from Alabama, explains a lot......

JJHog

It's the UofA that is doing this not the paper.
" Think Right, Do Right"

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: ricepig on August 19, 2017, 05:16:02 pm
Guy from Alabama, explains a lot......

Haha, true.  I was actually going to say something like that.

HogHomer

Quote from: JJHog on August 19, 2017, 05:16:15 pm
If this is true then why are they not changing any of their own postings, signs, commercials to UofA, Fayetteville?

ricepig

Quote from: JJHog on August 19, 2017, 05:16:15 pm

Uh, no. The guys who write for the ADG say otherwise.

woodhog14

FANONTHEHILL

Just call the subscription department and tell them to cancel your subscription. When they asked why you're canceling, say "University of Arkansas - Fayetteville".  I did it weeks ago and don't miss it a bit.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

VBCHog

I can tell you all why it says University of Arkansas, Fayetteville. Wally Hall is secretly an Arkansas State fan and tries every jab he can get at the U of A. I hate how he does the sports edition.

sowmonella

Another stupid decision by ADG upper management. Above Wally Hall level.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

VBCHog

August 19, 2017, 08:05:42 pm #35 Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 11:13:27 pm by VBCHog
Last time I checked Wally Small was the sports editor.

East Clintwood

Quote from: sowmonella on August 19, 2017, 07:26:25 pm
Another stupid decision by ADG upper management. Above Wally Hall level.

It doesn't take much at all to be above little Wally's level.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

texas tush hog

Quote from: ImHogginIt on August 19, 2017, 05:00:38 pm

Wally Hall.

JJHog

An email from the adg says it's the u of a, not them
" Think Right, Do Right"

ricepig

Quote from: JJHog on August 19, 2017, 08:39:08 pm
An email from the adg says it's the u of a, not them

Well, Jimmy Carter, Dudley Dawson and others who write for Wholehog say they do not include it in their articles and it is inserted by a copy editor. None of them say that the University asked them to include it. I'll trust the guys who write the articles and are against it over an email from those responsible for it from the ADG.

Who is the email from?

Porked Tongue

The editors are reacting to something the UA does when referencing to themselves as the flagship. .  It is only the ArDem that is doing it and the UA doesn't refer to it themselves.

ArDem just has a burr up their butt and lightly treads around explanations when prompted.  Each sports writer that is under their wing are innocent bystanders.

It appears some of the writers are doing all they can to write their script in such a way it doesn't need the stupid add on edit.

bythelake

I cancelled my subscription for UAF reference.  Sales person calls me on a regular basis.  He said that Wally hall was the culprit. 

I think it is his response to the WMS issue.  He hates that UA is pulling out.

Porked Tongue

Wally has stayed mostly silent.  It is his job to use his otherwise normally wasted space column to step right into it with his paper's reasoning.

But he scared.

Probably about to cancel mine as well.  They recently jacked my "never go up rate" by $4.50/month.  It's not the money, it's the point.

oldfart

Quote from: ImHogginIt on August 19, 2017, 05:12:47 pm
I've been here 15 years and UT means UT down in Austin. When they mean the one here they say UT DALLAS.
well for me it means University of Tennessee.... of course i graduated there ...many years ago before it became UTK  :(

AirWarren

Seebs

You want to complain? This is the brainchild of David Bailey at the Demozette and it has everything to do with UALR being called Little Rock now.

If this cat is not a the biggest cresent dork in the tool box I do not know who is.

http://www.arkansasonline.com/staff/david-bailey/

To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

swineology

It's the paper which I quit reading years ago.

RIP Arkansas Gazette!

PorkSoda

Quote from: Seebs on August 19, 2017, 10:03:09 pm
You want to complain? This is the brainchild of David Bailey at the Demozette and it has everything to do with UALR being called Little Rock now.

If this cat is not a the biggest cresent dork in the tool box I do not know who is.

http://www.arkansasonline.com/staff/david-bailey/

what is a cresent dork and why is it in a tool box and what does it have to do with cats?
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Seebs

Quote from: PorkSoda on August 19, 2017, 10:21:38 pm
what is a cresent dork and why is it in a tool box and what does it have to do with cats?
It is a Theodore Geisel type of thing that is lost on many not from the University of Arkansas at Fayetteville Arkansas in Fayetteville, Arkansas.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

N HOG

I am not sure for the reason, but it is the stupidest thing I've ever seeneed.

Highly annoying.