Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

"The identity theft of Mitch Mustain"

Started by Headhog32, August 19, 2017, 12:37:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Headhog32

this is an awesome documentary. whats yalls thoughts on the kid

Captain Morgan

August 19, 2017, 12:44:10 pm #1 Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 03:20:02 pm by Captain Morgan
Quote from: Headhog32 on August 19, 2017, 12:37:22 pm
this is an awesome documentary. whats yalls thoughts on the kid

Gus Malzahn pimped recruits to get into the coaching ranks. Mitch was a victim of those circumstances :puke:

younghog

Quote from: Captain Morgan on August 19, 2017, 12:44:10 pm
Gus Malzahn pimped recruits to get into the coaching ranks. Mitch was a victim of those curcunatances :puke:

Exactly

GUS=JOKE

GO HOGS

Headhog32

KlubhouseKonnected

Mitch got jobbed, too much pressure, too much hype, overhyped, had a high school coach that used him and a childish college coach who saw that use as a threat and took it like Mitch did him a personal disservice.

There you go. TLDR: Mitch was a good kid that got done over wrong but he was never going to be a football god.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on August 19, 2017, 12:52:39 pm
Mitch got jobbed, too much pressure, too much hype, overhyped, had a high school coach that used him and a childish college coach who saw that use as a threat and took it like Mitch did him a personal disservice.

There you go. TLDR: Mitch was a good kid that got done over wrong but he was never going to be a football god.
He had the talent to be very good. His best games were his first two or three before Nutt started putting the squeeze on him. Honestly when you consider that he was a true freshmen and he had the head coach and several of his lackey's on the team harassing him I don't know how he performed as well as he did.

If he had gone to Tennessee, where David Cutcliff was the QBs coach, there's no telling how good he would have been. Cutcliff understood the kid, liked him and recruited the hell out of him. He was maybe the best QB coach in the country. But Mitch wouldn't even talk to him because as a Hog fan he could not stand Tennessee, especially after what happened in 98.

Headhog32

if Gus wasn't such a joke he would have actually stood up for Mitch instead of throwing him out to the wolves

It is my opinion that Malzahn was told he would run the offense and he therefore, passed that info on to the recruits he knew would help the University win games and therefore help him along the way.  Malzahn was jobbed by Nutt, Mitch was jobbed by Nutt.  I believe if Nutt could have been happy climbing onto the bandstand, shaking hands, kissing babies and BSing with the uppercrust, he could have found himself being considered a great HC.

Nutt was/is a small time Trump.  It was all about him or nothing.  So we got nothing, basically.  And against what most on Hogville think, I believe 3 or 4 years working for Malzahn as OC, Mitch Mustain would have made a starter in the NFL.  While Nutt was getting his riches from ignorant University Management at 2 different schools, Mitch was being cheated out of future riches by the lout.  I will add that Mitch made a huge mistake transferring to USC.  Had the gone to Tulsa, I believe his trip to the NFL was still very likely.  And while many on here blame Malzahn for leaving Arkansas, honestly, what would you have done facing the exact same set of circumstances he faced working for Nutt.  He wasn't running the offense, he was being demoted by Nutt hiring another OC in as Co-offensive coordinators and it was clear that Nutt would never allow any coach under him to do well enough to have folks thinking more about that coach than the HC.  In addition, I believe even if Malzahn had stayed and accepted Nutt's operation, the recruits would have left anyway, especially Mustain.  Mustain's ego alone and belief that he was a great prospect standing on the sidelines at Arkansas wasn't what he planned to do.  Nutt would never have played the Kid, period. And the longer he was sidelined, the worse he would have gotten until Nutt's evaluation would have proven true.

clutch

Quote from: 12247 on August 19, 2017, 01:30:06 pm
It is my opinion that Malzahn was told he would run the offense and he therefore, passed that info on to the recruits he knew would help the University win games and therefore help him along the way.  Malzahn was jobbed by Nutt, Mitch was jobbed by Nutt.  I believe if Nutt could have been happy climbing onto the bandstand, shaking hands, kissing babies and BSing with the uppercrust, he could have found himself being considered a great HC.

Nutt was/is a small time Trump.  It was all about him or nothing.  So we got nothing, basically.  And against what most on Hogville think, I believe 3 or 4 years working for Malzahn as OC, Mitch Mustain would have made a starter in the NFL.  While Nutt was getting his riches from ignorant University Management at 2 different schools, Mitch was being cheated out of future riches by the lout.  I will add that Mitch made a huge mistake transferring to USC.  Had the gone to Tulsa, I believe his trip to the NFL was still very likely.  And while many on here blame Malzahn for leaving Arkansas, honestly, what would you have done facing the exact same set of circumstances he faced working for Nutt.  He wasn't running the offense, he was being demoted by Nutt hiring another OC in as Co-offensive coordinators and it was clear that Nutt would never allow any coach under him to do well enough to have folks thinking more about that coach than the HC.  In addition, I believe even if Malzahn had stayed and accepted Nutt's operation, the recruits would have left anyway, especially Mustain.  Mustain's ego alone and belief that he was a great prospect standing on the sidelines at Arkansas wasn't what he planned to do.  Nutt would never have played the Kid, period. And the longer he was sidelined, the worse he would have gotten until Nutt's evaluation would have proven true.

I think Mitch may have been able to develop into an NFL talent under some other coach, such as Cutcliffe, but I'm not sure I'm with you on the staying under Gus for 3-4 years scenario. Gus hasn't developed any QB into an NFL QB. He coached Cam Newton, but Newton was already developed. He's been almost Nutt-like in the QB development column so far. He got good results out of Marshal, but I contribute that to Marshal just being a freak athlete. He was never a true QB.

Back to the topic though, I said may have been able to be and NFL talent when I was talking about Mustain. I'm not sure if he would have or not. Would have been interesting to see. I think he definitely needed the right coach for him. He needed some work to get there. You'd have to think he got some pretty good QB coaching when he transferred to USC. He never could crack to ranks and get the game reps though.

3kgthog

Irwin had a great point in that movie. Look what that team did with all that turmoil and immaturity (mostly the adults). Imagine what they could've done as a united team.

I guess that fits Arkansas history, though. We've squandered immeasurable amounts of talent just in the last 15 years. What a waste.

Letsroll1200

Mitch transferred to USC after his freshman season. Mitch had a great opportunity to become a NFL QB. He was at one of the best if not the best program at that time.

Talented high school QB but didn't make a impact in the college game. He's not the first or the last.

Hogs run wild

where's that dead horse, it needs a beating.
We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us.

Headhog32

Quote from: clutch on August 19, 2017, 01:52:08 pm
I think Mitch may have been able to develop into an NFL talent under some other coach, such as Cutcliffe, but I'm not sure I'm with you on the staying under Gus for 3-4 years scenario. Gus hasn't developed any QB into an NFL QB. He coached Cam Newton, but Newton was already developed. He's been almost Nutt-like in the QB development column so far. He got good results out of Marshal, but I contribute that to Marshal just being a freak athlete. He was never a true QB.

Back to the topic though, I said may have been able to be and NFL talent when I was talking about Mustain. I'm not sure if he would have or not. Would have been interesting to see. I think he definitely needed the right coach for him. He needed some work to get there. You'd have to think he got some pretty good QB coaching when he transferred to USC. He never could crack to ranks and get the game reps though.
if he would have stayed at Arkansas for petrino to coach him who knows what could have happened

cosmodrum

Quote from: Headhog32 on August 19, 2017, 02:27:25 pm
if he would have stayed at Arkansas for petrino to coach him who knows what could have happened

Would've been fine in college, but I don't think he would've been a successful NFL QB because of Petrino. Petrino has yet to send a QB to the pros that became successful (as HC, anyway).
Go away, batin'

JIHawg

There's a special room in Hell waiting on Hootie for what he did to Mitch.

Captain Morgan

Quote from: MCOOK74 on August 19, 2017, 03:26:51 pm
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.- Great quote! I don't know about Nutt but there just may be a special place in hell for a few others that have played this dirty game with young men full of hope and a great future. Sin is sin but a continuation of sin for the benefit of a career is wrong and destroys lives.

Gus is a joke
He pimped recruits on his way into a power 5 job
Bought An NFL MVP from JUCO
:puke: :puke: :puke:

Dark Helmet Hog

Mustain did not have an "ego" as you put it. He was a good kid. He had confidence but not ego. The problems that followed him to USC were a result of the lies told by Nutt and his ilk. Ironically, I think Nutt would have tried his best with Mustain had he remained at the Arkansas. He would not have stayed on the sideline after Malzahn was gone.

Malzahn used every one of those Springdale kids as a stepping stone and he revealed his true character when he did nothing but keep his mouth shut in the whole mess. Oh, he had a lot of minions stirring the pot in the background too but ultimately chose self preservation over doing the right thing by a group of kids. Promises were made to those kids and their families. Not just typical recruiting type promises. He used his personal relationship with these kids and their families and then screwed them over. Malzahn and Nutt may be on the same moral ground in all this.

Hawgphat

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on August 19, 2017, 02:07:43 pm
Mitch transferred to USC after his freshman season. Mitch had a great opportunity to become a NFL QB. He was at one of the best if not the best program at that time.

Talented high school QB but didn't make a impact in the college game. He's not the first or the last.
THIS! - - - IN SPADES!!!!!

I'm not dumping on Mitch, - - but he had plenty of opportunity to distinguish himself by showcasing his talents at one of the most prestigious college football programs in the nation after leaving Arkansas.

"Mama" did not help his cause at Fayetteville.

GuvHog

When Mitch first announced that he was considering transferring, Gus gave Mitch a long spill about loyalty and why he should stay at the U of A. Then after talking Mitch into staying, Gus jumped ship and left for Tulsa. Gus was dirty too.

By the way, the guy that Hooty was bringing in as CO-OC after the 2006 season was the guy Mitch wanted as his QB coach but he wouldn't come without at least a CO-OC title.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Dark Helmet Hog

Quote from: Hawgphat on August 19, 2017, 03:49:20 pm
"Mama" did not help his cause at Fayetteville.

Every time someone throws a phrase like this out, it proves they have no idea what they are talking about. It only proves that Nutt's lies were effective and how easy it is to repeat them with no actual facts.

wildhogman

I wont dispute the ego part as I do not know Mustain. He seemed a decent kid. But the question I have is, why after all these years has St Gus still NOT stood up for those kids and told what was really going on. I'll hang up and listen

GuvHog

Quote from: Dark Helmet Hog on August 19, 2017, 05:16:54 pm
Every time someone throws a phrase like this out, it proves they have no idea what they are talking about. It only proves that Nutt's lies were effective and how easy it is to repeat them with no actual facts.

Mitch's mother was very vocal during the year he spent at Arkansas and that didn't come from Hooty. She despised Gus just as much as she despised Hooty.

GuvHog

Quote from: wildhogman on August 19, 2017, 05:24:53 pm
I wont dispute the ego part as I do not know Mustain. He seemed a decent kid. But the question I have is, why after all these years has St Gus still NOT stood up for those kids and told what was really going on. I'll hang up and listen

Because Gus had blood on his hands too and he doesn't want to be exposed.

Dark Helmet Hog

Quote from: GuvHog on August 19, 2017, 05:25:23 pm
Mitch's mother was very vocal during the year he spent at Arkansas and that didn't come from Hooty. She despised Gus just as much as she despised Hooty.

Point proven. Unbelievable.

GuvHog

Quote from: Dark Helmet Hog on August 19, 2017, 05:29:03 pm
Point proven. Unbelievable.

I just said that didn't come from Hooty. Learn to comprehend.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: Mike Irwin on August 19, 2017, 01:14:47 pm
He had the talent to be very good. His best games were his first two or three before Nutt started putting the squeeze on him. Honestly when you consider that he was a true freshmen and he had the head coach and several of his lackey's on the team harassing him I don't know how he performed as well as he did.

If he had gone to Tennessee, where David Cutcliff was the QBs coach, there's no telling how good he would have been. Cutcliff understood the kid, liked him and recruited the hell out of him. He was maybe the best QB coach in the country. But Mitch wouldn't even talk to him because as a Hog fan he could not stand Tennessee, especially after what happened in 98.

Mike we have gone through this time and again brother. We always come out basically saying the same thing but with different "what ifs"

In fact I specifically considered our last conversation on this topic when I responded to The post. I think it's fair, let's not pick nits. 
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

Dark Helmet Hog

August 20, 2017, 01:54:58 am #27 Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 08:52:29 am by Dark Helmet Hog
Quote from: GuvHog on August 19, 2017, 05:30:45 pm
I just said that didn't come from Hooty. Learn to comprehend.

Comprehend? Well ok then. lol

GuvHog

Quote from: Dark Helmet Hog on August 20, 2017, 01:54:58 am
Comprehend? Well ok then. lol

My point is she posted her displeasure on Hogville several times that year. I don't blame her for being displeased.

majestic

Quote from: GuvHog on August 20, 2017, 12:38:17 pm
My point is she posted her displeasure on Hogville several times that year. I don't blame her for being displeased.
No she didn't.
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

goodguytex

There was a whole lot of using and abusing going on... On the backs of young kids, all to advance careers. Nutt used, malzahn used. Both very guilty. At least Nutt will never coach again. Same thing needs to happen to malzahn. And his time is coming.

GuvHog

Quote from: majestic on August 20, 2017, 12:47:51 pm
No she didn't.

Yes she did. I remember it well. That (2006) was my first year as a member of Hogville (I had lurked for a year before joining).

majestic

Quote from: GuvHog on August 21, 2017, 08:55:27 am
Yes she did. I remember it well. That (2006) was my first year as a member of Hogville (I had lurked for a year before joining).
Beck did not post anything negative on HV during the time her son was here. You are making stuff up again.
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

Mike Irwin

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on August 19, 2017, 11:04:20 pm
Mike we have gone through this time and again brother. We always come out basically saying the same thing but with different "what ifs"

In fact I specifically considered our last conversation on this topic when I responded to The post. I think it's fair, let's not pick nits.
I don't consider it nit picking to disagree with you. That kid had talent. It was never more apparent than in the Vanderbilt game that year. But from that point on he basically was treated like the enemy.

USC was probably the worst place he could have gone after leaving Arkansas. Pete Carroll didn't harass him but considered him the odd man out from the beginning. I got that from one of LA's top sportcasters who worked for me in the late 80's. He said a quiet, conservative kid from Arkansas was not going to start for USC at QB.

Mitch made bad decisions twice. Kind of like marrying the wrong woman twice. But he's okay with it. He doesn't have much use for football these days anyway. I don't blame him.