Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SERENGETI

Started by songofthesword, August 12, 2017, 06:42:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

songofthesword

baffert has another one

bet heavy in the best pal

userpick

Baffert needs his next shipment of goods to come in.

HogFanInBryant

For your defense SOS...something was not right with this horse.  I watched the race twice and he didn't look right.

songofthesword

well he's 2 2YO's sometimes act like 2Yos and i hate trip handicapping but that was one of the worst trips i've ever seen broke slow, sped up , he finsihed strong.   he's a good horse

something about that track or baffert and that track ain't adding up right now

songofthesword

at this point i am a heavy bet against arrogate in teh pacific classic

songofthesword

there's basically only 3 weeks 'elleft in the meet so you can't tell now and he 's not going to not run arrogate there that' swhere the breedres cup is this year

but baffert has a history with this darn at del mar now that i think about it. this is why it pays to watch horse racing all day everyday lol

a little known (now at least) horse named maimonides half brother to

- el corredor
- roman ruler (yeah that roman ruler)
- spun silver 

maimonides being by vindication who at the time was a new stallion being a 2YO champ by seattle slew was hot stuff.  dude sole for like 5 billion dollars or something lol . i forgot the number but it was HIGH.  like not 1 million. like 5 million or something like that. 

so he was sold to that dude who owns pharoah.  sent to baffert who of course is a socal guy. he was tearing up the track and everyone was waiting on him to make his debut at del mar, but del mar's  track was darn for some reason that summer  horses were breaking down on it and he  (baffert) wasn't winning and he got into a big public argument at clockers corner with the track maintenance dude and said Frank this i'm taking maimonides to saratoga

and that's exactly what he did.  and maimonides won by daylight.  11-15 lengths.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9IvbSf1xY4

but the only reason he did that instead of wait until del mar was over was bedcuase he knew BC that year was at monmouth. 

my working theory, with arrogate, with this serengeti is that they just dont' like the track or baffert doesn't like it or some combination of the two

HogFanInBryant

If you go back and look at the history of Del Mar, horses either love the track or hate it...rarely much in the middle.  I have read that the reason is that the sand and clay mix used on it is like trying to run on a memory foam mattress...who knows?

songofthesword

It's the same reason they pulled the polytrsck up

Del Mar is literally right next door to the ocean.  The air- atmosphere is different and  messes with the makeup

userpick

I think Baffert has a special case of something in his barn he only brings out every now and then. Mor Spirit definitely got it last time

HogFanInBryant

Quote from: songofthesword on August 13, 2017, 12:37:42 pm
It's the same reason they pulled the polytrsck up

Del Mar is literally right next door to the ocean.  The air- atmosphere is different and  messes with the makeup

Hate to sound like a freaking scientist lol but you are absolutely right...anything that salt touches it changes!  I am surprised there aren't more 45-1 shots winning maiden races at Del Mar.  You can have a terd that loves the track and a talented young one who hates it...the terd wins at Del Mar more times than any other place.  Same thing with that crappy inner dirt course at Aqueduct!

songofthesword

man the first year they put polytrack in at del mar. i'm like the onlyo person on earth that misses polytrack becuase i realized early on each polytrack was different it's not like dirt.

i'm goign to tell you how good a summer i had lol. I hit student council in the pac classic lol. over lava man.

literally all yoyu had to do was go back and find horses who ran at del mar over that track and hit the money and it was like high way robbery and no one seemed to get it

HogFanInBryant

Quote from: songofthesword on August 13, 2017, 06:53:03 pm
man the first year they put polytrack in at del mar. i'm like the onlyo person on earth that misses polytrack becuase i realized early on each polytrack was different it's not like dirt.

i'm goign to tell you how good a summer i had lol. I hit student council in the pac classic lol. over lava man.

literally all yoyu had to do was go back and find horses who ran at del mar over that track and hit the money and it was like high way robbery and no one seemed to get it

I killed it one meet at Keeneland when they had poly track.  I basically looked for recent turf success and horses bred to run on turf and they all clicked on that poly track.  I hit a horse once who shipped in from Fairground and had just won a maiden claimer on the turf, went off at over 30-1 and wired them in a mile allowance race on the poly track and nobody every got close to him.  I felt guilty cashing the ticket lol! 

heavylifting

Quote from: HogFanInBryant on August 13, 2017, 06:47:53 pm
Same thing with that crappy inner dirt course at Aqueduct!
I think about a month ago I read on Paulick Report that NYRA is doing away with the inner dirt track at the Big A. Going to restore to turf; until they went to winter racing there in the 1970s, Aqueduct had two turf courses, just like Belmont and Saratoga.

Supposedly the reason is that they might redo Belmont Park, which would mean that track would be closed for a few years like it was in the 1960s (63-67, I think) and, thus, all downstate racing would be at Aqueduct during the interim.

But that's another topic and something I don't really want to think about right now. Not to mention the fact that when I started following racing -- in 1970 -- the new Belmont Park was only 2 years old. Now, supposedly, it's outdated. Like me, I suppose.

HogFanInBryant

Quote from: heavylifting on August 15, 2017, 11:09:18 pm
I think about a month ago I read on Paulick Report that NYRA is doing away with the inner dirt track at the Big A. Going to restore to turf; until they went to winter racing there in the 1970s, Aqueduct had two turf courses, just like Belmont and Saratoga.

Supposedly the reason is that they might redo Belmont Park, which would mean that track would be closed for a few years like it was in the 1960s (63-67, I think) and, thus, all downstate racing would be at Aqueduct during the interim.

But that's another topic and something I don't really want to think about right now. Not to mention the fact that when I started following racing -- in 1970 -- the new Belmont Park was only 2 years old. Now, supposedly, it's outdated. Like me, I suppose.

I went to Belmont 3 years ago in June.  It looked like it had been kept up very nicely.  I mean you could tell a few things were old, but for the most part it appeared to be in great shape.  Now...the big A is a dump from what I've been told.  I wonder if they will be able to keep it open honestly unless NYRA can be profitable for longer than a year or 2.  When NYRA loses...they lose BIG time!