Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

247 rankings

Started by Trey1981, August 04, 2017, 11:12:57 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Trey1981

Was just scanning through our commit list and noticed that 247 has 3 of our guys ranked at 70 (Gatlin, Jones and Nichols).  How is that possible?  All 3 have decent offer lists. May not be 4 star recruits but I've never seen a ranking below 70.  Is this right?

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Trey1981 on August 04, 2017, 11:12:57 am
Was just scanning through our commit list and noticed that 247 has 3 of our guys ranked at 70 (Gatlin, Jones and Nichols).  How is that possible?  All 3 have decent offer lists. May not be 4 star recruits but I've never seen a ranking below 70.  Is this right?
It means they haven't been fully evaluated yet.
All Gas, No Brakes!

ricepig

247 bought Scout and supposedly there was some "screw up" in the rankings/system, time will tell. The players aren't any different today than they were before the change, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Trey1981

Completely understand that the players are no different.  It was just curious to me that they were evaluated at such a low level.  Makes sense that there could be a glitch in the system.

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: ricepig on August 04, 2017, 11:40:27 am
247 bought Scout and supposedly there was some "screw up" in the rankings/system, time will tell. The players aren't any different today than they were before the change, so I wouldn't worry about it.
I didn't know that. So does this mean that there will be three rankings now, or will Scout still be its own service?
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

Tyro3

You people and your ranking mania, I have been a Hog fan for probably longer than some of you have been alive (77) my criteria is can he play, sign him up, we have had some people walk on and turn out to be outstanding, one who's life was cut tragically short as one example, give it a rest and your life will be ultimately more peaceful.

HogFoo

i was just wondering about the diffference in the rankings myself.  Scout has us at like #18 i believe after the addition of Wren.    247 still has us at like #43 or #44, and Rivals had us at like 50ish.   Something isnt right there.  Now, we were one of just like 6 teams with 11 or fewer (before wren).  and , i just had looked yesterday at Scout and 247, who both had added Wren.  we didnt really move up at all on 247.   and like i said, we were 18# on scout.   which, we were one of 3 teams with 12 or fewer recruits to be #18 or above.  i think USC and some other 'name' school had like 10 , 11 or 12.     i know scout just adds up their scores basically is how they come up with their rankings.  for shiz and giggles, i added Nick Fulwider and Luke Ford into our recruits, because Scout has a calculater for adding or subtracting a recruit and giving you an instant ranking.  By adding both of those 2 guys, just barely moved us up a spot to #17 i believe it was.    Anyways, i think we have a great class. Short on numbers, but a great class. 
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

HogFoo

Quote from: Tyro3 on August 04, 2017, 05:41:07 pm
You people and your ranking mania, I have been a Hog fan for probably longer than some of you have been alive (77) my criteria is can he play, sign him up, we have had some people walk on and turn out to be outstanding, one who's life was cut tragically short as one example, give it a rest and your life will be ultimately more peaceful.
i dont think folks are looking at it at life or death.  To me, its really just about killing time until the sports dead period is done. haha..  Lots go into rankings.. especially with rivals.  which states buy the most subscriptions, usually get a lot of 'highly recruited' players.   which schools a player signs with also has as much to do with how the rankings of that player goes as well.. to me its just all fun.  nothing serious about it..  well that is unless we happent to get a top 5 class one day!  lol  haha
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

PorkRinds

How'd the view from that had high horse?

Tyro3

Quote from: PorkRinds on August 05, 2017, 10:02:44 am
How'd the view from that had high horse?

I am looking at a horses rear end.

PorkRinds

Tyro3

Quote from: PorkRinds on August 05, 2017, 11:06:24 am
I bet you are.

Kind of surprised that you would admit that!

hawganatic

Well, most players that fit your criteria are usually ranked higher than the ones that can't.  For us that don't know the game on a granular enough level to fully evaluate talent (99% of the people on this board, including you) that's what we can look at.

And then there's the fact that nobody on this board actually has the power to "sign him up."  That's for the coaches to do, and they're pretty good at what they do...

Tyro3

Quote from: hawganatic on August 05, 2017, 01:30:02 pm
Well, most players that fit your criteria are usually ranked higher than the ones that can't.  For us that don't know the game on a granular enough level to fully evaluate talent (99% of the people on this board, including you) that's what we can look at.

And then there's the fact that nobody on this board actually has the power to "sign him up."  That's for the coaches to do, and they're pretty good at what they do...

I freely admit I don't have the expertise to judge football talent, there are some on this board that think we should be able to recruit with the elites and that is never going to happen. I just enjoy watching the Hogs play, and don't get warped out of shape when we lose (not that I am happy with that) but to each his own. have a good one (meant sincerely)

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: Tyro3 on August 05, 2017, 12:47:18 pm

Kind of surprised that you would admit that!

Given your age this is a suprisingly juvenile exchange.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

Tyro3

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on August 05, 2017, 03:08:06 pm
Given your age this is a suprisingly juvenile exchange.

So wise one, is this the best you can do, I know who you are.

Are you and the pork friends?

Pig in the Pokey

Scout has us top 20, at #19. Last year we were 2.96 average star for a #27 rating. This year we are at 3.33 average star. It's gonna be ok.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Trey1981

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on August 10, 2017, 02:52:04 pm
Scout has us top 20, at #19. Last year we were 2.96 average star for a #27 rating. This year we are at 3.33 average star. It's gonna be ok.

I think people are confused about what I was asking here.  To recap, 247 had 3 of our guys ranked at 70. I had never seen an SEC recruit (let alone an Arkansas recruit) ranked that low.  A couple of kind posters mentioned that there was a potential glitch in the 247 system due to the recent merger with Scout.  This turned out to be the case.  For example, Ford is now ranked 88 at 247.

To clarify and build on my initial post, I am not overly concerned about rankings. At the end of the year, we will probably end up with a class similar to those we have had in the past 5 years. I was simply curious. That is all.

jackflash

I don't pay to much attention to 247 rankings

Ham Ham Pigelow

History overwhelmingly says recruiting rankings are directly correlated to program success.  People should pay MORE attention to ratings in my opinion. 

NotSoFastMyFriend

Quote from: Ham Ham Pigelow on August 11, 2017, 08:56:38 am
History overwhelmingly says recruiting rankings are directly correlated to program success.  People should pay MORE attention to ratings in my opinion.
Correlation but not causation. Just because it hasn't happened yet (a team with classes outside the "top ten" winning a title) doesn't mean it can't or won't happen. It means that teams with higher-rated classes have better odds of winning titles.

There have been quite a few teams that have strung together back to back elite classes (Texas, Florida, Georgia, Ole Miss, etc) and haven't sniffed the title game in the last few years. For every team that finished in the top ten in recruiting there are nine other teams in the top ten that didn't get it done. There are no guarantees.

HogFoo

Quote from: Ham Ham Pigelow on August 11, 2017, 08:56:38 am
while I do tend to agree, there is still some variables that have nothing to do with the kids being ranked.  Like with rivals.  They'll usually give higher rankings to kids in states that sell more subscriptions to their magazines.  To me, the most accurate is probably 247. Don't they take all the rankings and give an average from that?   

While I don't think rankings matter as much as some, I do agree that if you have a consensus 5* that there is more of a chance that that player will be a bit than a miss.  But really, the biggest difference in being a 5* vs a 4 or even a 3* is just that the kid was more physically ready coming out of HS.  It really means nothing once the kid gets to college.  How many times do we see the kid that's a 3* get to college and then matures, adds the bulk, adds the strength and speed and the 5* does the opposite. Doesn't work hard doesn't try to get any better just tries to use natural ability?  Look at NFL rosters, there are more 3* than any others.

Rankings are just the topping on the cupcake.  Yes, it's nice when u see a top ranked class.  But it really doesn't mean much.  Just what, a year or 2 ago. Maybe last year's class.  We had what I'm some services, we had like 5 or 6 4* and then we had like 8 or 9 3* guys that were ranked so high they could have easily been 4* guys.  Just imagine if they had been, on paper ranked 4*  we'd probably would have had a top 5 crootin' class. But we didn't.  Think it finished top 30.  But, is anyone really gonna be mad about it?  I'd hope not.

It's just like the class we have. Now.  Scout has us at like 18 or 19 now.  We were at 17 but we have limited schoolies this year.  It's a great class. If we can finish with Fulwider, Beal or even Ford, or Ezkuna , or a few others. It'll be great! Numbers wise, it'll probably be ranked around 30.  Simply cuz we had less players.  But it's a great class!  I'm excited about it. 
I'm also excited about the 19' class!  That class has quite a few highly ranked instate  players.

They have the #1 TE, Hudson Henry, the #5 WR Treylon, a top #40 WR, JJ. Also like the #6 OL, and another, can't think of his name.  But then also we add the #7 QB commit Ty Evans.  If we can get all those guys instate, that'd be awesome!  Hopefully the hogs can have a great year as I'm expecting, and then build off the uptrend in momentum to just get better and better. 
Like I heard Mike Irwin say, I believe the road or process for Bielema is slower than Petrini, but once you get to the top, it's more sustainable.  All we have to do is look at Wisconsin. Heck, some think they could be in it for a NC!  Bielema built it. And it's a strong!  I really believe that he will get us to the next level here as well!  All you complainers just need to relax.  We're headed in the right direction!

Richard Davenport

Not here to debate the rankings, but some have expressed concern about Noah, Isaiah and Luke getting offers.

They were all offered after showing their ability at camp. There's not a better way to evaluate than in a camp setting.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Richard Davenport on August 12, 2017, 01:19:41 pm
Not here to debate the rankings, but some have expressed concern about Noah, Isaiah and Luke getting offers.

They were all offered after showing their ability at camp. There's not a better way to evaluate than in a camp setting.

Sure, but that's little to do with rankings regardless of ones opinion of rankings.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

presidenthog

I have 0 concerns over Nichols getting an offer. Dude is a stud.