Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I have a question

Started by jackflash, July 28, 2017, 07:17:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jackflash

Is Arkansas biggest need in football  still Linebackers

HOGINTENNESSEE

We have no idea. It appears Ramsey, Greenlaw and Harris can play. Everything else is TBD

bennyl08

Biggest needs in recruiting boils down to 2 things.

First, bodies. How many people do you lose at the position in the next two years? You need to at least have the number of bodies needed.

Two, quality of bodies. How many of those losses are starters needing to be replaced? How many starters do you want to replace because they aren't good enough? Building quality of depth, etc...

Safety is probably one of the bigger needs. We lose Coley and Liddell this year and Ramirez and Miller next year. Similarly, the CB position loses Toliver and KR3 this year and Pulley next year (if not this year). That is 6 starters over the next two years that we lose. We signed some talented players this year, but we will need to follow that up with some more.

On the DL, we'll need to get another big guy to play the NG, but other than that, we don't lose a whole lot over the next two years.

We are actually pretty good at LB. Obviously we need to sign some LB's each year, but we lose Eugene this year, and Greenlaw and Ramsey next year. Other than, just a couple of depth players. We don't have to go heavy on this position, just be sure to sign at least 5 guys over the next 2 recruiting cycles.

OL is easily the biggest group need after DB's and probably even bigger. This year, we can basically field a full 3-deep without any repetitions using only scholarship players, much less the walkons. Over the next 2 years, we lose 9 bodies, 8 scholarship players, and 5 current/recent starters and Rogers will very likely start next season making 6 starters lost over 2 years. That is almost an entire 2 deep of the OL that we lose over the next 2 years so recruiting more OL is an absolute must.

Definitely need some more RB's, Williams gave us some depth, but only for this year. So, we need to sign 2-3 more quality backs next year.

We are pretty good at TE and WR. Sure, we need to continue to sign some more, but we don't need to focus heavily.

TL;DR: No, we are quite good at the LB spot in terms of depth over the next 2 years and talent. DB and OL is where we really need help on. OL loses essentially the entire 2 deep the next 2 seasons, DB's lose 6 starters.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Pork Ranger

I think for Bielema to be successful he needs a top notch OL. I think a quality OL should be the biggest emphasis every year

Mike_e

I'm not going to quote Benny because that just makes these threads too long but yeah, what he said.

We are usually able to get starters that can play with most anybody but our problem has been getting backups that weren't able to keep up.  This seems to be changing for the better.

So, what we really need is to keep on keepin on and not let any position group fall behind. 

This of course is the whole point of building it the 'right' way.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!