Started by grayhawg, May 31, 2017, 09:24:10 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hog.goblin

Only ESPN would layoff an NFL Hall of Famer

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hog.goblin on June 01, 2017, 08:51:20 pm
Only ESPN would layoff an NFL Hall of Famer

That's why it's called a BUSINESS.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

hog.goblin

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 04, 2017, 07:09:18 am
That's why it's called a BUSINESS.

Most businesses don't layoff the majority of their income producing talent.  ESPN is assuming their name will generate the revenue.  I think they are mistaken.

Or they could be throwing in the towel - knowing that they are losing subscribers no matter what and trying to have minimal overhead.  That leaves them little opportunity going forward to adjust to new technologies or trends.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: hog.goblin on June 04, 2017, 07:58:34 am
Most businesses don't layoff the majority of their income producing talent.  ESPN is assuming their name will generate the revenue.  I think they are mistaken.

Or they could be throwing in the towel - knowing that they are losing subscribers no matter what and trying to have minimal overhead.  That leaves them little opportunity going forward to adjust to new technologies or trends.

Walmart lays off people all the time.  Maybe espn is doing things with less people and getting rid of their higher paid people that they can get someone cheaper to replace them. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

hog.goblin

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on June 04, 2017, 10:05:13 am
Walmart lays off people all the time.  Maybe espn is doing things with less people and getting rid of their higher paid people that they can get someone cheaper to replace them. 

Most large companies layoff people all the time.  Rarely do they layoff the a large percentage of their most visible product.

I guess you could say it's like Wal-Mart closing its most unprofitable stores.

If so you could make the argument ESPN is less like the Wal-mart of media and becoming more like the K-Mart.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hog.goblin on June 04, 2017, 07:58:34 am

How do you know those getting laid off are big time income producers? Besides IF their pay is to much then the ratio to what income they produce to the pay they receive might be counter productive. especially IF the income can be produced by a cheaper alternative. Overhead minimizing is a valid strategy for any company not bringing in enough revenue. If there is one truth about a job and a specific person having it is that NOBODY is irreplaceable.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

hog.goblin

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 04, 2017, 11:52:10 am
How do you know those getting laid off are big time income producers? Besides IF their pay is to much then the ratio to what income they produce to the pay they receive might be counter productive. especially IF the income can be produced by a cheaper alternative. Overhead minimizing is a valid strategy for any company not bringing in enough revenue. If there is one truth about a job and a specific person having it is that NOBODY is irreplaceable.

I'm not really disagreeing with any of this.  As an employer I particularly believe that no one is irreplaceable.

But TV is a little different in that key employees are far more visible (and therefore impactful).

Maybe Clayton was a high paid employee.  Something tells me he wasn't, relative to those on the air more.  They keep a clown like Smith but can HOFer Clayton.  Sadly Smith probably drives more viewership and therefore ad dollars.

Honestly that probably matches where our culture is headed: form over substance, rash opinion over real journalism.

I can't remember the last time I watched sportscenter.  It was must see TV for me 2 to 3 times a day 20 years ago.

I find the topic of ESPN very interesting.  Will they go the way of MTV or find away to successfully reinvent themselves?

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: sevenof400 on June 05, 2017, 04:38:02 pm
As an aside, I cannot believe ESPN has the chutzpah to continue the Insider subscription option.
Who the hell is left at ESPN that truly has a voice (or information) anyone would want to pay to read?

Duh..
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

ricepig

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.