Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pawhuska, OK Mercantile

Started by GusMcRae, April 20, 2017, 02:06:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

GusMcRae

My wife has been wanting to go to the Pioneer Woman's Mercantile in Pawhuska, OK, ever since it opened.  Flew her up there yesterday.  I called the number for the airport, which is the City of Pawhuska.  Very small country airport, no approach plates, no AWOS, 3200' strip, have few tiedowns and a handful of hangars, but no courtesy car.  Lady at the City said that we could call the police department and they would send an officer out to pick us up and drop us off where we needed to go.  Same drill for the ride back out to the airport.

I landed and after the main wheels touched I started easing the nosewheel down and it immediately felt rough.  I pulled back on the yoke to keep the nosewheel off the ground and told my wife it felt like we had a flat.  Came to a full stop on the runway, got out and looked and we did in fact have a flat on the nosewheel. 
Had my wife sit on the horizontal stabilizer while I pushed the plane off the runway.  Meanwhile an aerial spray business owner and one of his crew had seen us arrive and appeared to be having trouble, so they drove down to help us.  We got the front tire off, back to their hangar, broke the tire down and found a small split in the tube.  They took us into Pawhuska and we dropped the tube off at a tire place to have it patched. 
Kevin Brown and his crew of Bluestem Aerial Sprayers, LLC could not have been nicer to us.  Told us they would pick up the repaired tube after they were through eating lunch, and go put the tire back together and put the reassembled tire back on the plane for us while we enjoyed our day in Pawhuska.  And they did exactly that.  Kevin also offered to come pick us back up when we were through, but we felt like he had already gone way out of his way to help us, so we just took advantage of the Pawhuska City offer to have a Police Officer take us back out to the airport. 
Kevin would not accept any sort of reimbursement for their help. 
Another example of the wonderful people of the aviation community. 
If any of your wives are fans of the Pioneer Woman, you can make her a happy girl if you take her up there and let her shop around in the Mercantile while you go stand in line to get seated at the restaurant.  They say the line at lunch time is the worst, and having to wait for over an hour is pretty common.   

It ain't dieing I'm talking about Woodrow,,,, It's living!

Being a pilot isn't all seat-of-the-pants flying and glory. It's self- discipline, practice, study, analysis and preparation. It's precision. If you can't keep the gauges where you want them with everything free and easy, how can you keep them there when everything goes wrong?

theFlyingHog

Having driven AMA-LIT two days ago, I hate OK. But I'll keep that in mind. Small town folks are the best. Glad your flat worked out fine! Different timing could have made that a real pain

bvillepig

Gus.  Great job. Glad to see a post

Where are you Gotcha ?

Oklahawg

P-town has enough stuff to occupy you for two days (not just the Mercantile).

The tribal museum is cool, the Tallgrass Prairie Preserve is right there (and about 20 minutes down the road is Woolaroc, where Frank Phillips, founder of Phillips Petroleum, used to entertain guests from around the world). Lots of western and native history.

Need to visit again soon myself. Alas, I'll drive not fly.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

flagstaffhog

Good people doing good things just seem to show up.

Go HOGS Go!
Go HOGS Go!