Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Way, way, way, way too early 2018 hog draft projections

Started by bennyl08, February 10, 2017, 07:30:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bennyl08

Normally would put something like this in MMQB but with the combine for this year's draft not even happening yet, too early for that. I'm just curious to look at what we have and see what the potential is.

Austin Allen: basically a lock to be drafted. Not going to be a high round pick, but if he doesn't regress and especially if he improves, could be as early as the 3rd round if he improves on the first half of last season.

Coley: Don't think he has the athleticism to play at the next level but easily be an UDFA.

Cornelius: basicall;y a lock to be drafted. Where is the question for him. There's always such a high amount of talented receivers each year, you have to get into the really subtle differences to really separate them out.

Eugene: If he builds on what he did last year, he could be drafted. He played very well last season after Greenlaw went down. A full season and he could be a late round pick. He has the athleticism.

Jackson: Players as big as he is are rare as it is. That big with as quick of a first step as he has even really rare. However, he needs to find a way to take his physical tools and put it all together in a consistent product on the field. If he does that, he could be a pretty high pick (talking rounds 2-3). Even if he doesn't, he has a solid chance to be a late round pick if nothing else.

Liddell: Like Coley I don't think he has NFL level athleticism. Also like Coley, I expect he'd get in as an udfa for a while.

Ragnow: Early favorite to be the first hog drafted.

Ramirez: I think he is at worst a dark horse candidate to be our starting LT. His JUCO tape showed a great blend of quickness and power and technique. Coaches were pretty high on him in the summer, but injuries kept him out of the lineup. If he doesn't start, he could still get in as an UDFA (think cam jefferson transfer a few years back who actually made a roster for a short spell). If he starts, he could become a late round pick.

Raulerson/Malone: Could get UDFA calls, Raulerson more likely than Malone, but don't think they have as good a chance to make a practice squad like Ramirez.

Richardson III: I honestly don't know enough about his athleticism to comment on that aspect. I could see him being like Gatson who made a practice squad and stayed in the NFL for a couple of seasons. Walk-ons who make it to their senior year typically have something special about them.

Roesler: He'll need a big year and IMO will be behind Taylor and Ramsey and could be passed by Fisher. However, there's been a lot of talent at DE in front of him, so he could be better than given credit for. Just haven't seen much from him to date.

Toliver: Wouldn't say he's a lock to be drafted, but I'd be surprised if he wasn't. Easily our most underrated player on defense.

Juniors who could declare early:

RW3: 3rd year RB who led the SEC in the regular season as a sophomore. Already had one injury scare in college. I'd say he's a strong candidate to leave early.

The only other guy who at this early is a threat to leave early is Ryan Pulley. If he has another season like last year, he may leave early.

Players who if they left early could get drafted at least late: Froholdt, Greenlaw, Ramirez, Ramsey, Rogers, Taylor, Tutt, Wallace, O'Grady, Pettway, Smith. Froholdt would have 3 years of extensive playing time, 2 years starting on the OL, though would still be too raw to go very early in the draft IMO. Greenlaw has been solid, but don't think he's been good enough to warrant leaving as a junior unless he has a spaight-like season. Ramirez I think has the combine numbers for it, but only will have 2 years with the first year still learning a lot and making some mistakes. Would be best served by having 2 years of good play rather than just 1 next year. Ramsey would have the athleticism but has a lot more to prove. Rogers I think has the physical tools and this would be based on him starting as a C for some reason next season. Would be a terrible decision for a 1-year OL player. Taylor-see Ramsey, same for Tutt. Wallace would have 2 years starting at that point. Has the physical ability I think. O'Grady would be like a less experience Engram. Similar skill set and style and would probably get picked up next year if he builds off this year, but not as early as he could be. Pettway has absolutely ideal size and speed but would need more than 1 year. Same for Smith.

Overall, I think we are extremely likely to have 4 players drafted (assuming RW3 declares) with another 4 players that are dependent on building on last year (Eugene, Jackson), starting this year (Ramirez), or proving at the combine they are fast enough (Toliver).
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse