Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2017 Rules and Race Format

Started by Buff, January 23, 2017, 06:44:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Buff

Racinray

I'm still on the fence. NASCAR has to do something to try to get people to watch it on TV and put butts in the seats at the tracks.

ImHogginIt

ImHogginIt

Quote from: Racinray on January 23, 2017, 07:14:18 pm
I'm still on the fence. NASCAR has to do something to try to get people to watch it on TV and put butts in the seats at the tracks.

I think it will help a good amount but all the mile and a half tracks plus Pocono, Mich and Indy will still be fairly boring.

McKdaddy

I like the general concept and crux of what nascar is trying to do.  Now, to try to learn the new points system.....

http://www.espn.com/racing/nascar/story/_/id/18541250/nascar-new-points-system-work-backfire
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

holeinthewall

Quote from: McKdaddy on January 23, 2017, 10:30:41 pm
I like the general concept and crux of what nascar is trying to do. Now, to try to learn the new points system.....

http://www.espn.com/racing/nascar/story/_/id/18541250/nascar-new-points-system-work-backfire

Exactly and for fans new to the sport it will be as confusing as hell.  It will take watching a race and seeing the points to get a full grasp. 

If I read it correctly it will now be possible to win the championship without being the highest placing car at Homestead?   Or did I read that incorrectly?

riccoar

So is it similar to the heat races that Xfinity was using last season?

holeinthewall

I like the idea I don't see the need at restrictor plate tracks and at road courses it is going to cause numerous wrecks on the restarts.

I do like the new rule limiting replacement of body panels. A car 120 laps down doesn't need to be on the track with 5 to go dropping debris.

Racinray

and Danica maybe without a sponsor.

riccoar

Quote from: Racinray on January 24, 2017, 07:22:07 pm
and Danica maybe without a sponsor.
Danica has name appeal, like Junior, and can sell some schit with her name and other assets.  I'm sure she will be OK.  Now, she does need to start putting up consistency.  NASCAR has not been kind to open wheel crossovers.

riccoar

Oh, another tidbit.  Looks like NASCAR is possibly looking at adding a road course to the Chase.  Dinger tested the road course at Charlotte.  NASCAR was involved in the test.

Nice.

http://www.jayski.com/news/tracks/story/_/page/charlotte-motor-speedway

Road course race at Charlotte? UPDATE: Could a road course race be in Charlotte Motor Speedway's future? Last Friday, AJ Allmendinger tested on what was roughly a 2.3-mile circuit similar to Daytona International Speedway that incorporates both the infield in Turns 1 and 2 and the regular 1.5-mile oval according to multiple sources. The test was a collaboration between Charlotte Motor Speedway and NASCAR. Sources said Charlotte could incorporate the road course as early as the All-Star Race, which is scheduled for May 20. It's more likely the road course would be used for the fall Chase race on Oct. 7. Fans have been clamoring for a road course in NASCAR's playoffs and Charlotte could offer the perfect solution. Certainly, if the Charlotte plan comes to fruition, transitioning to a road course could be an option at other facilities. Indianapolis Motor Speedway and Kansas Speedway, for instance, already feature road courses as part of their landscape. (Motorsport)(1-20-2017)

UPDATE: A.J. Allmendinger was asked about the test during Tuesday's media events:
"Here's the deal... I don't know what's going to happen. I thought it was a lot of fun and I enjoyed it. You can bring something new to the schedule and something new if it was done. I'm all for it. I'm probably biased toward that. It's kind of like the new format. Change can be good and it can be a little scary. We have to see how it plays out. But could it be successful? I think it would be a fantastic race and something the fans could truly enjoy." (Chevy PR)(1-24-2017)

holeinthewall

Saw that last week wish they would do this for the Daytona summer race.

TheRazorback500

According to an article in the state paper today, most of the drivers really like it. Jamie McMurray actually got PO'd at the negativity of some fans' comments.

From what I gathered it would make for 2 "heats" of about 25% each and a final "main" event of about 50% of the race distance. I guess a 400 mile race would have approximately two 100-mile segments followed by a 200 mile finish, with points awarded for each stage.

I think it'll just add more commercials..  :(
Do you wanna get Rocked?

str8volfan

you had to know that Danicas "sex" appeal would eventually run out. Shes gonna have to prove she can stay on talent eventually. That time is now.

ImHogginIt

Quote from: str8volfan on January 25, 2017, 08:17:27 pm
you had to know that Danicas "sex" appeal would eventually run out. Shes gonna have to prove she can stay on talent eventually. That time is now.

Evan female fans have taken to making fun of her the past year or two

riccoar

Quote from: TheRazorback500 on January 25, 2017, 06:09:01 pm
According to an article in the state paper today, most of the drivers really like it. Jamie McMurray actually got PO'd at the negativity of some fans' comments.

From what I gathered it would make for 2 "heats" of about 25% each and a final "main" event of about 50% of the race distance. I guess a 400 mile race would have approximately two 100-mile segments followed by a 200 mile finish, with points awarded for each stage.

I think it'll just add more commercials..  :(
So then they will do what Xfinity did last year.  That will allow teams to really adjust on cars for the main event.  Maybe we won't see any more races with only single digit cars on the lead lap.

BDSCT51

Quote from: Racinray on January 23, 2017, 07:14:18 pm

I agree with being on the fence about the changes. We'll see. I'll give it a chance for sure!

I think reducing the number of races and shortening the season would be a good start. The season is just too long and also needs some variety in the tracks. I think adding another road course or two, Road America and/or COTA (Indy?), would generate some new/different fans. Of course, getting existing promoters to give up a date would be a real issue.

Why not make the Indy weekend a road course/oval doubleheader? Road course on Saturday and main event on Sunday? Why not share a weekend with the Indy cars at an oval, Texas/California/Chicago, with one group on Saturday and the other on Sunday? Alternate them the next year. Same thing could go for a road course. Heck why not have a "SUPER WEEKEND" at COTA with F1, Indy, and NASCAR running on consecutive days, again alternating days when who runs when in following years. Hmmmmm........................... maybe each series could have two "guest slots" for drivers from the other series to participate. Who wouldn't love to see Lewis Hamilton muscle a Cup car around with the big boys. Who wouldn't love to see Joey Logano and Graham Rahal wheeling an F1 car with the spoiled brats.

Yea, I could get some butts in the seats!

All this is the rambling of an old perverted lunatic and motorsports fan/race car driver. Absorb it at your own peril!
Bleeding Razorback Red

holeinthewall

Quote from: BDSCT51 on January 26, 2017, 11:12:31 am
I agree with being on the fence about the changes. We'll see. I'll give it a chance for sure!

I think reducing the number of races and shortening the season would be a good start. The season is just too long and also needs some variety in the tracks. I think adding another road course or two, Road America and/or COTA (Indy?), would generate some new/different fans. Of course, getting existing promoters to give up a date would be a real issue.

Why not make the Indy weekend a road course/oval doubleheader? Road course on Saturday and main event on Sunday? Why not share a weekend with the Indy cars at an oval, Texas/California/Chicago, with one group on Saturday and the other on Sunday? Alternate them the next year. Same thing could go for a road course. Heck why not have a "SUPER WEEKEND" at COTA with F1, Indy, and NASCAR running on consecutive days, again alternating days when who runs when in following years. Hmmmmm........................... maybe each series could have two "guest slots" for drivers from the other series to participate. Who wouldn't love to see Lewis Hamilton muscle a Cup car around with the big boys. Who wouldn't love to see Joey Logano and Graham Rahal wheeling an F1 car with the spoiled brats.

Yea, I could get some butts in the seats!

All this is the rambling of an old perverted lunatic and motorsports fan/race car driver. Absorb it at your own peril!

I have said same thing   Daytona could be a doubleheader weekend. As well as Indy.   

TheRazorback500

Quote from: riccoar on January 26, 2017, 06:49:02 am
So then they will do what Xfinity did last year.  That will allow teams to really adjust on cars for the main event.  Maybe we won't see any more races with only single digit cars on the lead lap.
I was wondering how the field would be lined up at the beginning of the second and third segments. It wasn't mentioned in the article I read, and I wasn't able to catch any Xfinity races last year.
Do you wanna get Rocked?