Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I'm finished with Jerry and Garrett

Started by EastexHawg, January 01, 2017, 05:37:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

EastexHawg

What they did today is to me inexcusable.  They proved they would rather lose the game than take a chance on Romo getting some playing time and looking good.

Who the hell rests the backup QB, especially when he hasn't played a snap all year?  Who are they going to play if Dak goes down in the playoffs, Sanchez?

All Jerry's mouth running about how they wanted to go into the playoffs on a roll was pure BS.  It was more important to them to lose that game with Sanchez, an abortion of an NFL QB, than get the backup some time and ready if needed.  They couldn't risk him throwing for 350 and 4 TDs.

Dirty.  Classless, especially after the class Romo has shown this season.  If Dak tears an ACL and Garrett tries to put him in, if I were Tony I would tell him to stick it and ask why he doesn't put Sanchez in.

Dr. Starcs

Have no problem with it.

Romo and playing and getting hurt totally loses his value in the offseason.

My question is will they bring romo back next year?  Sanchez is absolutely not a viable backup.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on January 01, 2017, 05:40:09 pm
Have no problem with it.

Romo and playing and getting hurt totally loses his value in the offseason.

My question is will they bring romo back next year?  Sanchez is absolutely not a viable backup.

They are willing to not only throw away this game but risk the postseason, meaning getting the backup snaps when he hasn't gotten one all year, so they can...what? Protect him from injury?  Who has ever, in your days of watching football, sat the backup and played a hapless 3rd stringer?

What the hell are they getting Sanchez ready for?

Not to mention the fact that Jerry is a liar.  Within the last couple of days he vehemently said they learned from 2007, when they blew off the last game after clinching, and were flat for and lost their first round game.

No, this was about ensuring that Romo didn't go off and have a big game...which, by the way, would have only increased his marketability.  The accepted narrative can't be risked.

After all Romo has given Jerry and that franchise it was totally classless.

Dr. Starcs

Easttex, I really felt like they should've played Romo last week in Dallas.

I do feel he deserved that and the fans did too. But I still don't blame them for protecting him today, especially with Tyron and Leary out and a questionable Philly team that broke his collarbone last year.

It was a great drive today by him!

EastexHawg

You could tell in his post game remarks that he was not happy.  I don't blame him.  The whole situation has been botched and shameful.  First they said they weren't going to play him at all, which was ludicrous, then they announced both he and Sanchez would play. 

The fact remains no team "protects" its backup QB by activating a loser who hasn't even been active, especially when the backup hasn't gotten a single snap all year.

This was just a dirty way of treating a long time player who has done nothing to deserve it.  I can't help but hope it comes back to bite Jerry and his puppet coach in the butt.

Dillar Dog

So you're a Romo fan but not a cowboys fan.

Interesting.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Dillar Dog on January 02, 2017, 12:08:04 am

Interesting.

I was a Cowboys fan before you were born.  Did you ever root for Don Meredith, Don Perkins, and Lance Rentzel when they were wearing helmets with stars on them?

I can just spot dirty, classless behavior regardless of who I'm rooting for.  This is an example.

The Cowboys gained a whopping 170 yards in the game.  81 of them came on the six plays Romo played.  I know the Cowboys didn't need to win the game, but is there some reason why it was good and necessary to lose it in hapless fashion with the pathetic third teamer?

I already asked, but I'll ask you.  How many times have you ever seen a team "rest" the backup QB, especially when he hasn't gotten a snap all season?

This should take a while.

EastexHawg

I wish I could go back to my days of youth and innocence, when I just blindly cheered for whoever and whatever "my" team did.  Unfortunately, now I can see a little deeper into what is going on and I can't unsee what I can see happening.

The more I learn about the inner workings of sports the less I like them.  The politics involved are sickening.

Michaelt

I admit I wasn't crazy about all the talk of who plays, who doesn't, but I get it...if Romo plays more yesterday and gets injured, then Sanchez is the sure backup going into the playoffs. Romo didn't have anything to prove. What he did on the drive he was in showed that he isn't rusty, he still has the throws, and he's up to speed.

The coaches and organization should have handled last week much better than they did, I agree with that.

Hearing God's voice means not listening to the noise of the world around us.

Dillar Dog

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 02, 2017, 08:30:20 am
I was a Cowboys fan before you were born.  Did you ever root for Don Meredith, Don Perkins, and Lance Rentzel when they were wearing helmets with stars on them?

I can just spot dirty, classless behavior regardless of who I'm rooting for.  This is an example.

The Cowboys gained a whopping 170 yards in the game.  81 of them came on the six plays Romo played.  I know the Cowboys didn't need to win the game, but is there some reason why it was good and necessary to lose it in hapless fashion with the pathetic third teamer?

I already asked, but I'll ask you.  How many times have you ever seen a team "rest" the backup QB, especially when he hasn't gotten a snap all season?

Your hero may not be with them next year so you'll be fine.

Michaelt

Quote from: Dillar Dog on January 02, 2017, 12:08:04 am

Interesting.

I wasn't exactly pleased with the last weeks happenings and how things transpired concerning Romo.

Does that make me a Romo fan and not a Cowboys fan as well?

Michaelt

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 02, 2017, 08:30:20 am

Rentzel? Didn't think you were THAT old... :)

EastexHawg

Quote from: Dillar Dog on January 02, 2017, 10:57:55 am
Your hero may not be with them next year so you'll be fine.

Nice dodge.  I knew you wouldn't be able to come up with an answer on the resting the backup thing, so it's expected.

cosmodrum

They dont need to rest Romo, but it's like the dude has osteoporosis.
Go away, batin'

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Michaelt on January 02, 2017, 12:04:48 pm
Rentzel? Didn't think you were THAT old... :)

Hope he wasn't cheering Rentzel when he was exposing himself and getting arrested for it...

Seriously, while the PR might have been bungled, the Cowboys did what was best for the team - short term and long term - yesterday.  Short term in keeping key players healthy for the playoffs.  Long term in keeping Romo viable as a valuable trade commodity.  Sanchez won't be the back up next year.  They'll pick up someone in the offseason or next preseason; a veteran who gets capped out by another team but still has some tread on the tires.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

TomasPistola

After watching all the starting QB's go down last week, I don't blame them for keeping Both Dak and Tony off the field. Who cares what happens to Sanchez?
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

Dr. Starcs

Romo is under contract next year. I'd bring him back unless the buying price is just too good to pass up.

pigture perfect

Coming from the biggest Ant-cowboys fan,  I don't think it's a bad move. You have a rookie starter. His light switch could go off just as quickly as it came on. You need to have a healthy 2nd option. Romo is a veteran who's seen almost everything. He doesn't need to take snaps just for sake of cause. A younger qb might. The boys didn't need to win this game bad enough to risk options A and B.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

bennyl08

Romo has spent more hours watching NFL film than probably everybody on this board combined, including Eastex. He's given more to the cowboys than anybody posting here as well.

He is very valuable to the team. You complain that he wasn't given enough snaps in the game? What more does he have to prove? He came out, he executed very well, as your own posts even admit to. What does he gain by playing?

Best case scenario, he gets a similar level of experience that he would get in a preseason game playing with backups. That wouldn't prepare him for a regular season matchup vs the browns, much less a divisional playoff game. Further, that is one of the biggest advantages of having a veteran qb. He's taken so many snaps, made so many reads of the defenses, and delivered so many throws that making sure he isn't rusty isn't a big issue. The biggest issue would be timing with his receivers. That isn't built over the course of one week 17 game.

Worst case scenario, Philly has injured him before.

So, he stands getting hurt if he does play. He comes no closer to being prepared for a playoff game than he got in the preseason by playing. He did play and demonstrated to the coaches that against this opponent, he is still sharp. He wasn't going to get any sharper by continuing. Further, a lot of teams bypass their backup qb for the third string in situations like this. Typically, it is because the third stringer will be a rookie or young player who they want to see play now that nothing is on the line rather than protecting their backup. However, they know what their backup can do and they aren't afraid of their backup's sharpness.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Dr. Starcs

You better rethink your position benny. (You agree with me lol)

EastexHawg

There has never in the history of football been a team that refused to give its backup QB snaps because they were afraid he would get hurt.  Starter?  Yes.  Backup?  That's ridiculous and you all know it.

This wasn't about keeping Romo healthy.  It was about not giving him a chance to have a big game, maybe even put up numbers better than any game Dak has had this year, and avoid people questioning whether Dak was the superhero who caused this team to have the best record in the NFL or a piece of an extremely talented team.

You can argue that if you want, but deep down you know the "keep both QBs healthy for the playoffs" story is BS.

Richard_white

Actually Romo stated in a interview today that he wanted to play one/two series. 

Hogarusa

Silly thread and opinion. You have Sanchez, play him in the meaningless week 17 game. Romo is ready to go in case Dak goes down in the playoffs. Really simple
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

EastexHawg

If the Cowboys were afraid more than one series was too risky, why did Dak play the entire first quarter?  There is no sensible explanation other than Jerry told Garrett not to let Romo play.  They didn't intend to give him any snaps at all, but apparently relented because that seemed silly.  They probably didn't think he would come in and march the team downfield as if he had never left.  When he did Jerry probably almost vapor locked and got word to Garrett to get him out immediately.

As for what Romo wanted, listen to that press conference.  He repeatedly said "no comment" to questions about his playing time as well as saying more than once something about "if you're good enough to get to play." Besides that, just listen to the tone of his voice.  If you have ever heard him talk you know he wasn't happy.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Hogarusa on January 02, 2017, 06:36:52 pm
Silly thread and opinion. You have Sanchez, play him in the meaningless week 17 game. Romo is ready to go in case Dak goes down in the playoffs. Really simple

Okay, Mr. Simple, I'll give you a shot.  Name a team that has ever refused to play its backup QB because they are afraid he will be injured.  That's why you have a backup.

Dr. Starcs

Jerry must've really screwed ole easttex in the oil business.

Dillar Dog

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 02, 2017, 02:26:06 pm
Nice dodge.  I knew you wouldn't be able to come up with an answer on the resting the backup thing, so it's expected.

That was my answer.  I didn't read the rest of that garbage.

Good luck to you and your new team.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on January 02, 2017, 07:01:53 pm
Jerry must've really screwed ole easttex in the oil business.

Keep riding that "Jerry knows how to run a football team" train.  How's it been working for all of us for the last two decades? 

The essence of football is competitors and competition.  It's not being scared and making sure the narrative you want to push is maintained by quelling competition.  It's also not based on screwing over a long time loyal team leader who still commands a lot of respect on that team.

Dak is going to be your starter going forward?  Okay.  But screwing over Romo with some BS explanation that you are saving him for the playoffs?  Transparent and chicken shirt.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 01, 2017, 05:37:36 pm
What they did today is to me inexcusable.  They proved they would rather lose the game than take a chance on Romo getting some playing time and looking good.

Who the hell rests the backup QB, especially when he hasn't played a snap all year?  Who are they going to play if Dak goes down in the playoffs, Sanchez?

All Jerry's mouth running about how they wanted to go into the playoffs on a roll was pure BS.  It was more important to them to lose that game with Sanchez, an abortion of an NFL QB, than get the backup some time and ready if needed.  They couldn't risk him throwing for 350 and 4 TDs.

Dirty.  Classless, especially after the class Romo has shown this season.  If Dak tears an ACL and Garrett tries to put him in, if I were Tony I would tell him to stick it and ask why he doesn't put Sanchez in.

ROFL
[CENSORED]!

Dr. Starcs

What do you mean "all of us" easttex?  Thought you were done. Who's your new team?

EastexHawg

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on January 02, 2017, 09:37:15 pm
What do you mean "all of us" easttex?  Thought you were done. Who's your new team?

I've been watching Jerry's incompetence as a GM along with everyone else since he fired the man who got him his championships, Jimmy Johnson.  How about you? 

EastexHawg

QuoteDak Prescott started and played two series for the 'Boys before getting pulled for Romo, who played for one series before third-stringer Mark Sanchez came in to finish out the game. It all begs the simple question: "Why?"

Tony was kinda, pretty OK, at least as much as you can tell from a four-pass, six-play, two-minute drive thats biggest moment was a 29-yard pass interference. Romo was 3-for-4 for 29 yards and had that long PI set up a 3-yard touchdown pass. If you'd closed your eyes you could have imagined it was 2014, with Romo marching down the field against an overmatched NFC East opponent. And since it's no longer December, Romo's success was extra realistic.

Let's think this through from the point of Jason Garrett (or the puppeteer deftly manipulating his strings). You put in Dak Prescott for two series. The benefit of this is what, exactly? The upside is nil. There's zippy chance that Prescott taking 15 snaps on Jan. 1 without his fellow rookie Ezekiel Elliott in the backfield will have any bearing on how Prescott will play on Jan. 15 in his playoff debut in a divisional playoff game at Jerry World. If you want to play your guys, play them. Other than injury risk (which is a big other, to be sure) there seems to be zero correlation between playing hard through Week 17 and playoff success just as there's none between resting players and having that same success. It's all situational. But this wishy-washy two-possession nonsense that's clearly a "don't get hurt, don't get hurt, don't get hurt" situation can only be a detriment.

Tony Romo will be Dak Prescott's backup in the playoffs. Romo will be somewhere else besides Dallas in 2017. Which of these facts was more important in deciding how Dallas would use Romo in Week 17?

If you want to give Romo some reps before he potentially has to come in and take snaps for a dinged-up Prescott or, worst-case scenario (best-case scenario for some) has to fully take over for a seriously injured Prescott, then great. But what's the point of one possession? This isn't the first preseason game for a guy building his way toward Week 1. Romo is theoretically game rusty. If the Cowboys think there's a chance he will need to play in two or three weeks, don't you want him to play a little, take a hit or two and be as prepared as you can get him outside of taking some first-team reps in practice?

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/gallery/tony-romo-play-one-series-dallas-cowboys-010117

Dr. Starcs

You act as though I've been a Jerry defender for life.

Lol.

Show me the posts for that...

bennyl08

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 02, 2017, 11:16:06 pm

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/gallery/tony-romo-play-one-series-dallas-cowboys-010117

Great link, though it literally makes the argument against what you are claiming. Yes, after missing all of the regular season (and most of the preseason for that matter), Romo was, and I'm quoting your article here, theoretically game rusty. However, he comes in during his series, shows what a veteran should be able to do and that is not be rusty despite missing extended playing time.

What I find hilarious is that your first bolded part explains exactly why it doesn't make sense to keep playing Romo. There is no upside. The only downside to not playing Romo at all is because he might have been rusty. When he came in, he showed that he wasn't, so he sits. Romo is a better qb than McGloin, Savage/Osweiller, Moore, and IMO Eli and Smith. You have a backup qb superior to 5/12 teams in the playoffs. That's extremely valuable. Why? Two of those teams lost their starter (though even with their regular starters, Romo >>> Tannehill which isn't saying much and is at worst on par with Carr). If any qb gets injured, Dallas is in the best position. Chiefs, Pats, and Seahawks would be the only others who might win one game sans their starter simply due to minimal reliance on the qb or that good of a surrounding cast.

If you had a LT that would be the starter for half the other teams in the playoffs as your backup, you wouldn't risk him to injury in a meaningless game other than to give him a series or two. If they are incredibly sharp that first series, you pull them then because they've shown there is no rust. You won't knock off any extra rust by keeping them in longer. You only risk injuring them. Same is true for a designated pass rusher. Say they were injured the whole season like Romo, but have 10 years in the league and you have them as a backup rusher you may only rotate in on occasion to keep them fresh. If they play 10 snaps in that week 17 game and get 5 qbh's, yeah, you take them out because they know the NFL game, any rust has clearly been knocked off. As your article again states, the upside to keeping them in is nil.

As for Romo and his future prospects, you really think one more quarter of play or two was going to be the difference b/w a team trading for him or not? The guy has a decade of tape already. They know what he can do when he's healthy. There are going to be 2 things the team looking to get him will care about. How healthy is he and salary cap hit. His play in a game with less meaning than a preseason game isn't going to answer their questions. Whether he plays 100 snaps or 1, they are going to have their own doctors examine him, do their own drills with him, and so on. The only question left would be his mental game. He showed maximum sharpness on his drive out there. He's shown time and time again his ability to come back after injuries (only thing he hasn't shown is the ability to not get injured).

So, can you tell me what was there to be gained by playing him the rest of the game, or any longer than he did play for that matter? For the cowboy's sake, there was no rust left to be knocked off by keeping him in longer. Teams already have a lot of tape on him. An extra few quarters of play compared to a decade of play isn't going to change their overall views on how much they want him, nor will it change that they are going to do their own physical checks on him to determine health and what he can do post-injury. Especially given how he did play, his stock wasn't going to go any higher keeping him in longer that game. Team isn't helped out any. Romo's future paychecks isn't helped out any by keeping him in longer. What was there to gain?
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

bennyl08

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on January 02, 2017, 06:11:17 pm
You better rethink your position benny. (You agree with me lol)

You must feel good finally being on the right side of a debate.  8)

holeinthewall

The only reason Romo played was to prove he can still throw after all his injuries. Now he and the class clown Jones will get together and discuss where he will accept a trade to.  This just maximizes his value to Cleveland, Denver, Jax or somewhere else willing to give up picks for him.

EastexHawg

Quote from: holeinthewall on January 03, 2017, 06:44:46 am
The only reason Romo played was to prove he can still throw after all his injuries. Now he and the class clown Jones will get together and discuss where he will accept a trade to.  This just maximizes his value to Cleveland, Denver, Jax or somewhere else willing to give up picks for him.

No, playing six snaps and throwing four passes doesn't maximize his value.  Playing the rest of the game and playing well would have maximized his value.

Romo is still under contract with the Cowboys this year.  He is the backup QB this year.  If Dak breaks the index finger of his throwing hand in the first quarter of game one Dallas is going to turn to a QB who has taken six snaps all season and say, "Go out there and win it for us, Tony!  Sure, we tried our best to keep you from playing when every team in the history of football would have had you play in that last game, but we need you now so this is different!"

It's just a crappy way to treat a guy who has given you everything he's had for ten years.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 03, 2017, 09:24:21 am
It's just a crappy way to treat a guy who has given you everything he's had for ten years.

As I recall he was giving some of it to Jessica Simpson in Cabo the week before a playoff game a few years ago...
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 03, 2017, 09:32:49 am
As I recall he was giving some of it to Jessica Simpson in Cabo the week before a playoff game a few years ago...

Wasn't Jason Witten with him?  And wasn't it during the bye week, not the week of the game itself?  I would guess playing with a punctured lung may have come close to making up for that.

EastexHawg

Quote from: bennyl08 on January 03, 2017, 12:25:52 am
Great link, though it literally makes the argument against what you are claiming. Yes, after missing all of the regular season (and most of the preseason for that matter), Romo was, and I'm quoting your article here, theoretically game rusty. However, he comes in during his series, shows what a veteran should be able to do and that is not be rusty despite missing extended playing time.

What I find hilarious is that your first bolded part explains exactly why it doesn't make sense to keep playing Romo. There is no upside. The only downside to not playing Romo at all is because he might have been rusty. When he came in, he showed that he wasn't, so he sits.

Did you even read the article?  The article didn't explain why it didn't make sense to play Romo, it questioned why...if injury is such a concern...they played Zak at all.  Romo is the backup QB.  Why do some of you keep making the injury argument as if he is the starter?  No team refuses to play its backup because they are afraid he will get hurt.  No team protects TWO QBs.  They protect the starter.  That's it.  And you all know that.  You're arguing something you know isn't true.  Why?  I can't answer that. 

As for "he played one series and that is enough to be sure he is ready"...really?  One series is enough for any player, especially a QB, to be fully prepared and game ready?  Let's say Romo leaves and the Cowboys sign a new QB to back up Zak next year.  Are you going to say, "One series in the next to last preseason game should be enough.  He's ready to play if needed.  Now let's play the third teamer the rest of the preseason so he doesn't get hurt!"  That's ridiculous and every one of you making this argument knows it.  And...in that case we would be talking about getting him reps for the regular season, not a playoff game.

Jerry, the master of player personnel moves, comes up with a plan and everyone on this board goes all in on it being the only way to go.  Why?  Because Jerry has such a tremendous record as a "football guy"?  Because you have always hated Romo anyway so any way they treat him is fine with you, in fact the worse the better? 

bennyl08

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 03, 2017, 12:12:35 pm
Did you even read the article?  The article didn't explain why it didn't make sense to play Romo, it questioned why...if injury is such a concern...they played Zak at all.  Romo is the backup QB.  Why do some of you keep making the injury argument as if he is the starter?  No team refuses to play its backup because they are afraid he will get hurt.  No team protects TWO QBs.  They protect the starter.  That's it.  And you all know that.  You're arguing something you know isn't true.  Why?  I can't answer that. 

Why did they play Prescott? That answer is easy. To keep giving him continuity. Romo could have not taken a snap in 2 years and he is going to have less rust than the Rookie who has started every single game this season. Dak needs more live action reps than Romo. How many teams going into the playoffs have ever been in the situation that the Cowyboy's are in?

Why do you hate Romo so much? That you think he is worth so little to the team? Given that he is better than half the starting qb's in the rest of the playoffs, that makes him extremely valuable. Honestly, too valuable to be a backup and that's why they AREN't simply treating him as a backup. He is a lot more valuable than many of the starters on the Cowboy's team for the playoffs. Further, they can't afford to keep him at a 10M+ dollar backup next season. Playing him longer than needed to show he isn't rusty only risks injury which makes him a lot more expensive if they have to cut him.

And you know that.  You're arguing something you know isn't true.  Why?  I can't answer that.

QuoteAs for "he played one series and that is enough to be sure he is ready"...really?  One series is enough for any player, especially a QB, to be fully prepared and game ready?  Let's say Romo leaves and the Cowboys sign a new QB to back up Zak next year.  Are you going to say, "One series in the next to last preseason game should be enough.  He's ready to play if needed.  Now let's play the third teamer the rest of the preseason so he doesn't get hurt!"  That's ridiculous and every one of you making this argument knows it.  And...in that case we would be talking about getting him reps for the regular season, not a playoff game.

Apples and oranges. That qb would be new to the team. That new player wouldn't have more experience with the center and OL than the starter (Romo does), wouldn't have spent more hours throwing to the WR's/TE's than the starter (Romo does), wouldn't have more hours in this specific offense than the starter (Romo does). Lets say Brady goes down next season and god forbid somehow the backup unseats Brady as the starter. How much from Brady are you really going to need to see. Be honest. He comes back in the final game of the regular season, disects the defense as masterfully as he has done pre-injury, are you really going to be like, "I don't know, maybe Brady has completely lost it..."? Well, maybe you would do that, but nobody with any sense as it relates to qb's in the NFL would.

Romo has an extensive injury history. You are trying to sell Romo and go into the playoffs with as strong of a team as you can. Romo hasn't just played one series. He has weeks of being in practice. He has decade of starting experience. Mentally, he's more ready than Dak is. The only things you have to worry about is physically. That you can see in practice. The only thing the live game experience gets you is can you trust your body (assuming it is fully healed which they would have already determined) when somebody is coming after you and trying to hurt you. You don't want to actually lose somebody as incredibly valuable to the team as Romo currently is to injury. That puts you in a position of terrible depth in the playoffs at the position, and makes him extremely hard to sell after the post-season. Most any other team? Their backup could have both arms ripped off and honestly, they aren't going to be in any worse of a position signing an old vet off of FA than they currently are. Their backup isn't worth much to the team, doesn't have hardly any experience with the starters. The only value of the backup is that they should know the offense, though they have almost no in game experience. The vet will have seen similar offenses before, and will have a lot of in game experience to lean on as well, and has pretty much as much chemistry with the starters as the injured backup.

QuoteJerry, the master of player personnel moves, comes up with a plan and everyone on this board goes all in on it being the only way to go.  Why?  Because Jerry has such a tremendous record as a "football guy"?  Because you have always hated Romo anyway so any way they treat him is fine with you, in fact the worse the better?

Seriously, check my post history on Romo. Heck, clearly I value him more than you do. So, if I have "always hated Romo anways", there must not be a word in the whole english language capable of describing how much you despise him. Or... maybe you have no clue what others think despite their being ample evidence in this forum to the contrary.

You are literally on here claiming that Romo is no more valuable to the Cowboys than Dan freaking Orlovsky is to the Lions and claiming that everybody but you is treating Romo poorly. Simultaneously, when the cowboys do protect him like they would if he was the starter, you are upset because they aren't treating him like a has been or never was qb.

EastexHawg

Quote from: bennyl08 on January 03, 2017, 03:02:04 pm
Why did they play Prescott? That answer is easy. To keep giving him continuity. Romo could have not taken a snap in 2 years and he is going to have less rust than the Rookie who has started every single game this season. Dak needs more live action reps than Romo. How many teams going into the playoffs have ever been in the situation that the Cowyboy's are in?

Why do you hate Romo so much? That you think he is worth so little to the team? Given that he is better than half the starting qb's in the rest of the playoffs, that makes him extremely valuable. Honestly, too valuable to be a backup and that's why they AREN't simply treating him as a backup. He is a lot more valuable than many of the starters on the Cowboy's team for the playoffs. Further, they can't afford to keep him at a 10M+ dollar backup next season. Playing him longer than needed to show he isn't rusty only risks injury which makes him a lot more expensive if they have to cut him.

And you know that.  You're arguing something you know isn't true.  Why?  I can't answer that.

Apples and oranges. That qb would be new to the team. That new player wouldn't have more experience with the center and OL than the starter (Romo does), wouldn't have spent more hours throwing to the WR's/TE's than the starter (Romo does), wouldn't have more hours in this specific offense than the starter (Romo does). Lets say Brady goes down next season and god forbid somehow the backup unseats Brady as the starter. How much from Brady are you really going to need to see. Be honest. He comes back in the final game of the regular season, disects the defense as masterfully as he has done pre-injury, are you really going to be like, "I don't know, maybe Brady has completely lost it..."? Well, maybe you would do that, but nobody with any sense as it relates to qb's in the NFL would.

Romo has an extensive injury history. You are trying to sell Romo and go into the playoffs with as strong of a team as you can. Romo hasn't just played one series. He has weeks of being in practice. He has decade of starting experience. Mentally, he's more ready than Dak is. The only things you have to worry about is physically. That you can see in practice. The only thing the live game experience gets you is can you trust your body (assuming it is fully healed which they would have already determined) when somebody is coming after you and trying to hurt you. You don't want to actually lose somebody as incredibly valuable to the team as Romo currently is to injury. That puts you in a position of terrible depth in the playoffs at the position, and makes him extremely hard to sell after the post-season. Most any other team? Their backup could have both arms ripped off and honestly, they aren't going to be in any worse of a position signing an old vet off of FA than they currently are. Their backup isn't worth much to the team, doesn't have hardly any experience with the starters. The only value of the backup is that they should know the offense, though they have almost no in game experience. The vet will have seen similar offenses before, and will have a lot of in game experience to lean on as well, and has pretty much as much chemistry with the starters as the injured backup.

Seriously, check my post history on Romo. Heck, clearly I value him more than you do. So, if I have "always hated Romo anways", there must not be a word in the whole english language capable of describing how much you despise him. Or... maybe you have no clue what others think despite their being ample evidence in this forum to the contrary.

You are literally on here claiming that Romo is no more valuable to the Cowboys than Dan freaking Orlovsky is to the Lions and claiming that everybody but you is treating Romo poorly. Simultaneously, when the cowboys do protect him like they would if he was the starter, you are upset because they aren't treating him like a has been or never was qb.

Romo has played less than four games in two years.  He has never played a single snap in an NFL game with Ezekiel Elliott, for instance.  Until Saturday afternoon he hadn't taken a regular season snap in over 13 months.  It has been that long since the played with Dez Bryant and Jason Witten.  You act as if he has been playing regularly all along.

I'm treating Romo badly?  Ridiculous, but typical of you.  Romo is a football player.  Football players play football.  He clearly wants to play.  Let me get this straight.  Romo is so valuable to the Cowboys that...that...they never play him.  Not one snap for the first six weeks that he was medically cleared to play, then a total of six snaps in a game in which the starters were being rested.  How can a football player be any more valuable than that? 

Dak, who had taken ever snap this year before Sunday, needed to play because he needs continuity.  Romo, who hadn't played in a regular season game since November of 2015, needed to not play because he was clearly sharp and ready to go.  Do you realize how ridiculous your argument is?

Dr. Starcs

Easttex, you do know the starting qb is Dak, not Zak right?

:)

EastexHawg

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on January 03, 2017, 03:46:58 pm
Easttex, you do know the starting qb is Dak, not Zak right?

:)

Not sure I follow.

EastexHawg

Okay, if you are talking Arkansas football circa 2001...I was right then, too.

Dr. Starcs

Lol. Just giving you a hard time. One of your previous posts mentioned "Zak" a couple of times.

Hawg414

i get where eastex is coming from.  can smell what he is stepping in.  but i think it boils down to just a plain ol business decision.  its safe to say it is highly unlikely Romo will be in Dallas next year as a $17mm backup.  and as it is, he is currently a fairly high commodity based on his previous play.

had Romo played, neither scenario was good for Dallas.  if he goes out and plays well, and then Dallas loses in the playoffs with Dak, Jones and Garret get second guessed until they are dead.  if he goes out and flops, suddenly he just lost a ton of value in offseason trades.

as a business decision.. with the franchise's interests in mind.. it actually went picture perfect for them.  he "only" played one series, therefore no one can second guess them too much for playing Dak.. based on the way Dak and the team has performed all year.  at the same time, he played one series about as effortlessly as he can.. showing to all who may be interested that he is just fine and there is little to no rust. 

i see him in denver next year... and denver automatically being a SB contender.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Hawg414 on January 04, 2017, 04:00:21 am
i get where eastex is coming from.  can smell what he is stepping in.  but i think it boils down to just a plain ol business decision.  its safe to say it is highly unlikely Romo will be in Dallas next year as a $17mm backup.  and as it is, he is currently a fairly high commodity based on his previous play.

had Romo played, neither scenario was good for Dallas.  if he goes out and plays well, and then Dallas loses in the playoffs with Dak, Jones and Garret get second guessed until they are dead.  if he goes out and flops, suddenly he just lost a ton of value in offseason trades.

as a business decision.. with the franchise's interests in mind.. it actually went picture perfect for them.  he "only" played one series, therefore no one can second guess them too much for playing Dak.. based on the way Dak and the team has performed all year.  at the same time, he played one series about as effortlessly as he can.. showing to all who may be interested that he is just fine and there is little to no rust. 

i see him in denver next year... and denver automatically being a SB contender.

In other words, Jerry and Garrett are using a guy who has given them everything he had, on some terrible teams with terrible offensive lines that couldn't protect him and terrible defenses that required him to put up big numbers of points week after week, like he is a piece of meat.

I can't disagree with anything you say.

Richard_white

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 04, 2017, 03:24:36 pm
In other words, Jerry and Garrett are using a guy who has given them everything he had, on some terrible teams with terrible offensive lines that couldn't protect him and terrible defenses that required him to put up big numbers of points week after week, like he is a piece of meat.

I can't disagree with anything you say.

It was Romo who only wanted to play one/two series.  He even stated it in an interview.  Now he never said that he pulled himself out of the game or the coaches kept him out but he said only one/two series.

You want to say it's a business decision, I agree.  But it was a mutual business decision.  Romo knows he isn't going to start next year, nor is Dallas going to pay him that money to be a backup.  It was a good decision by both parties. 

EastexHawg

Quote from: Richard_white on January 04, 2017, 03:31:13 pm
It was Romo who only wanted to play one/two series.  He even stated it in an interview. 
Sorry, but that's simply not true, at least not right after the game when what had just happened was fresh on his mind.  If that was what he wanted he would have said so.  Instead, he basically said "no comment" to repeated questions about it, saying something about not wanting to get into "existential" discussions and that doing so wouldn't be beneficial to the team.

We were driving across Colorado listening to the Cowboys radio network and listened to the entire press conference.  It was obvious he wasn't happy though he tried to sidestep the questions.