Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Running Thread

Started by Pulled(PP)pork, July 31, 2013, 06:18:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Pulled(PP)pork

I've got pretty weak ankles, so I stick to firm surfaces unless a vehicle forces me off the road

PP

hawgrunner

RazrRila99

I normally run on the "bike lanes" in my neighborhood.  Just a bit better on the asphalt than the concrete sidewalks.  Im starting to go for a walk or a wog in the evenings when I get bored. 

Speaking of using tracks etc - do you use the local high school track?  Wouldnt they keep those locked up pretty tight?  Ive seen people running stadium stairs etc.  Id love to start doing that a time or two a week.  Just dont know where to find open stadiums. 

hawgrunner

For me I run at the local Cal State San Marcos Track.

Libertarian Hog

After more than 50 years of running, I recently switched to walking.  My goal is to maintain good health.  It is not a slowdown because I was running about as slow as I walk.  Walking seems to put less stress on my ankles.  I don't seem to be getting the ankle soreness I got when I was running.
Question with boldness even the existence of a God, for if there be one, he must more approve the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear. - Thomas Jeffersxon

panhandlepig

Quote from: Libertarian Hog on June 14, 2014, 07:42:39 pm
After more than 50 years of running, I recently switched to walking.  My goal is to maintain good health.  It is not a slowdown because I was running about as slow as I walk.  Walking seems to put less stress on my ankles.  I don't seem to be getting the ankle soreness I got when I was running.

Hip replacement surgery put an end to my running days a few years ago. It was probably the best thing to happen to me in my early 50s.. Walking is a good thing. Slowing down is not a bad thing as long as you keep moving.

hawgrunner

Delicious~Dreams

I read an article on Jon Sutherland set a world record by running everyday since 1969.   That's Amazing....and to think I struggle somedays....makes me weak.   Something to aspire to!   

The cool breeze here for July has been very nice and easier to breathe.   I'm finally finding what works and what doesn't as a new runner.  It's kinda weird how you will notice things such as preferring water or what clothes or shoes feels best....little things add up.   

Tom in Fort Worth

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_1/hot-weather-running.shtml

This article definitely puts running in the summers into perspective. I just came off training for and completing my 3rd full marathon in late April.  I took a couple weeks off and signed up for a half in Tupelo MS at the end of August.  4 weeks into training and my time is getting slower and slower. I typically train at an 8.5(ish) and now I'm lingering around 9.5 sometimes higher. I can tell each long run gets worse if I don't get it in before 7am.  I'm sure I cant be the only person experiencing this. This is the first time I've trained in the middle of the grueling summer.

Question, how the heck to I get back to my normal pace?

Tripod1

Normal pace will resume with cooler temps and lower humidity.  Those in the know on running tell me you just maintain during the hot humid days of summer,

Pulled(PP)pork

I feel bad, I created this thread and haven't ran in a month or so.....what a maroon.

PP

kingofdequeen

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on July 09, 2014, 07:45:34 am
I feel bad, I created this thread and haven't ran in a month or so.....what a maroon.

PP

turrble. 

getting fired up for full m00n 25k this weekend.  gettin ma drunk on in the woods.

Delicious~Dreams

It should be fun!   Watch for Snakes!!

DLUXHOG

Quote from: WPS Texan on July 08, 2014, 08:19:12 pm
http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_1/hot-weather-running.shtml

This article definitely puts running in the summers into perspective. I just came off training for and completing my 3rd full marathon in late April.  I took a couple weeks off and signed up for a half in Tupelo MS at the end of August.  4 weeks into training and my time is getting slower and slower. I typically train at an 8.5(ish) and now I'm lingering around 9.5 sometimes higher. I can tell each long run gets worse if I don't get it in before 7am.  I'm sure I cant be the only person experiencing this. This is the first time I've trained in the middle of the grueling summer.

Question, how the heck to I get back to my normal pace?

I think in the summer, the air is heavier and more full of H2O than O2...  This simply could be the issue, especially in the Deep South where humidity is especially high during the Summer...
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Coondog Hog

I'm in my 3rd week of training for the Winslow Half in September and my pace sucks compared to last winter.  Training in the cold for the Hogeye and now this has led me to the realization that I must have some self loathing issues to overcome.  I will say its pretty rewarding to know you prepared in the most extreme seasons Arkansas has to offer though.
'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.'
  - Ronald Reagan

'If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -
-Ronald Reagan
Quote from: mmhogs17 on March 08, 2011, 11:02:18 pm
I've had alot of things in and out of my butt, but never Monkeys..

hawgrunner

Just keep pushing you'll get there.

Tom in Fort Worth

I am in the same boat. I think (hope) that by running in this horrible heat will better prepare me by my race in late August.  My time on long runs have been consistently slower by 1mm.  One thing I started doing last week is doing my tempo runs and my speed intervals on the treadmill. The rest of the runs, I just get them done fast or slow.

Boll Hawg

I've got my annual PT test this Saturday.  I've done a TON of speedwork here recently and have shaved over a minute off my mile time.  My goal is a 13 minute flat 1.5 mile.  I'll ace the sit-ups/push-ups.  It's sad that my PT test hinges on an abdominal circumference measurement.     
Father, Husband, Teacher, Veteran

kingofdequeen

Quote from: Boll Hawg on July 30, 2014, 11:28:26 am
I've got my annual PT test this Saturday.  I've done a TON of speedwork here recently and have shaved over a minute off my mile time.  My goal is a 13 minute flat 1.5 mile.  I'll ace the sit-ups/push-ups.  It's sad that my PT test hinges on an abdominal circumference measurement.     

Tom in Fort Worth

Along with football season, running season is approaching quickly.  I the next few weeks I will choose a marathon to train for sometime between December and March.  The last 2 years I have began my training at the beginning of Football season. I love waking up early on Saturday morning and getting a long run in and then spend the rest of the day on the couch watching football with friends, with ZERO guilt.  Any of you got your eyes on any marathons this year? If so which one?

Coondog Hog

My plan is to run the full at the Hogeye in march next year.
'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.'
  - Ronald Reagan

'If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -
-Ronald Reagan

Tripod1

Quote from: HOGS DON'T YIELD on August 18, 2014, 09:42:06 am
Along with football season, running season is approaching quickly.  I the next few weeks I will choose a marathon to train for sometime between December and March.  The last 2 years I have began my training at the beginning of Football season. I love waking up early on Saturday morning and getting a long run in and then spend the rest of the day on the couch watching football with friends, with ZERO guilt.  Any of you got your eyes on any marathons this year? If so which one?
I am doing the 3 bridges Marathon December 27.  Been a few years since I've done a marathon due to Achilles surgery.  It will be a slow one for sure but at 64 years of age most things are slower these days.

Tai_Mai_Shu

Quote from: Tripod1 on August 19, 2014, 06:38:01 am
I am doing the 3 bridges Marathon December 27.  Been a few years since I've done a marathon due to Achilles surgery.  It will be a slow one for sure but at 64 years of age most things are slower these days.

Good to see you running again. I'm about to do my second Conquer The Gauntlet next month.

hawgrunner

Quote from: Coondog Hog on August 18, 2014, 08:19:20 pm
My plan is to run the full at the Hogeye in march next year.

I would like to come back and do that some day.

hog.goblin

Tom in Fort Worth

Quote from: Tripod1 on August 19, 2014, 06:38:01 am

That looks like an awesome race. Especially because its in late December. I live in TX and I go visit my family in the Ozarks for Christmas. That would be perfect. I going to look into this race.

Also, Running at 64 after any surgery is Beast Mode!

hawgrunner

What happened to the "War Eagle Trail runs" and "Hillbilly Half A Hunnerd"?

Tripod1

Quote from: HOGS DON'T YIELD on August 19, 2014, 08:29:47 pm
That looks like an awesome race. Especially because its in late December. I live in TX and I go visit my family in the Ozarks for Christmas. That would be perfect. I going to look into this race.

Also, Running at 64 after any surgery is Beast Mode!
The race is closed but you can be put on a waiting list.  That's how I got in.  That's a great option too because you just sign up and don't have to commit any dollars until they contact you to say you are in!

Tom in Fort Worth

Awesome, thanks for the info.

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: Boll Hawg on July 30, 2014, 11:28:26 am

If you're in the Army, your PT test and your height/weight/body fat composition tests are two different things.  Yes, you're height and weight go on your PT card, but AR 600-9 governs your weight and body fat while your PT test is governed by AR 350-1 and FM 21-20.

If you're not in the Army and your service does include your circumference measurement in your PT test, then that sucks.  Physical fitness does not necessarily equal slim and tall.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

Ragnar Hogbrok

Going to brag for a bit.  I ran my first mile since my shoulder surgery yesterday.  Woke up this morning with a bad case of DOMS.  I'm getting old.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.

Boll Hawg

Quote from: The Chief on August 21, 2014, 12:34:59 pm
If you're in the Army, your PT test and your height/weight/body fat composition tests are two different things.  Yes, you're height and weight go on your PT card, but AR 600-9 governs your weight and body fat while your PT test is governed by AR 350-1 and FM 21-20.

If you're not in the Army and your service does include your circumference measurement in your PT test, then that sucks.  Physical fitness does not necessarily equal slim and tall.

I'm in the Air Guard.  I passed the test with the smallest abdominal circumference I've ever had.  It all depends on who tapes you and where they decided to do it at.  Our abdominal circumference score is worth twice as many points as push-ups/sit-ups.  It's really dumb. 

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: Boll Hawg on August 22, 2014, 08:51:01 am
I'm in the Air Guard.  I passed the test with the smallest abdominal circumference I've ever had.  It all depends on who tapes you and where they decided to do it at.  Our abdominal circumference score is worth twice as many points as push-ups/sit-ups.  It's really dumb. 

Wow. That's ridiculous. You're correct about it still depending on who tapes you. The Army tapes your neck then your waste the times. I've never seen the same measurement twice.  Anyway, they then take those measurements and do some very suspect math to determine your body fat comp. It's not accurate at all and rewards guys that have large necks.

Boll Hawg

For my last few PT tests for the Air Force, my waist has been documented as 34, 36, 37.5, and 34.5.  I've stayed at a constant 185lbs.  It's the human error element.

Also sucks that they only give us 1 minute for sit-ups, very short rest, and then another minute for push-ups.  You've got to crank them suckers out to pass!   

Delicious~Dreams

I'm thinking about signing up for Fort Smith's "True Grit" Marathon.   

It's the first wk in Feb.   Plenty of time to train...also, the RussVegas Half is approaching soon. 

Tai_Mai_Shu

I did Conquer the Gauntlet for the second year. It was fun. Stairway to Heaven kicked my butt at the end.

Coondog Hog

I ran the Winslow half a couple of weeks ago.  I'm feeling pretty stoked about what I can do when I have the free time to get ready.  I've trained for 2 half's in the last 12 months and ran through January and February and ran through July and August.  If  I can train in the elements in those months I can train whenever I want to.
  - Ronald Reagan

-Ronald Reagan

Tom in Fort Worth

Running season is back!! Starting a new schedule this week after a month off. I needed the time off but now I'm ready to get back at it. Started today and it felt great!  Any of you doing one in December? If so which one? Looking for ideas.. Anywhere in AR, TX, or OK.

Delicious~Dreams

True Grit Marathon in Fort Smith is coming up in Feb!

I only ran a little over 1000 miles for this past year....I need a new goal....any suggestions? :)

ms_hog

Question about increasing miles: I've only been running about 2.5 to 2.7, 2 to 3 days/week and try to run a 5K, once a month, except for January. I've set a goal to run my first 10K in May. What advice do you have for someone looking to increase their miles to get closer to running the 10K?

Coondog Hog

Quote from: ms_hog on January 12, 2015, 10:16:15 pm
Question about increasing miles: I've only been running about 2.5 to 2.7, 2 to 3 days/week and try to run a 5K, once a month, except for January. I've set a goal to run my first 10K in May. What advice do you have for someone looking to increase their miles to get closer to running the 10K?
Every Saturday ad a mile to your run and every three weeks add a mile to your shortest mid week run till you get to where you want to be.  If you can run 2.5 miles in three to 4 weeks you could run 6 or 7 miles. Just add a little at your own pace.
  - Ronald Reagan

-Ronald Reagan

Coondog Hog

Quote from: Delicious~Dreams on January 12, 2015, 01:58:43 pm
True Grit Marathon in Fort Smith is coming up in Feb!

I only ran a little over 1000 miles for this past year....I need a new goal....any suggestions? :)

You kicked ass.  I came in a little under 600 for the year. Off to a good start for 2015 if I can keep the colds and sniffles at bay.  It was 14 degrees when I started my 10 mile run Saturday.  The last two weeks here has been brutal.
  - Ronald Reagan

-Ronald Reagan

Delicious~Dreams

Quote from: Coondog Hog on January 12, 2015, 10:35:17 pm
You kicked ass.  I came in a little under 600 for the year. Off to a good start for 2015 if I can keep the colds and sniffles at bay.  It was 14 degrees when I started my 10 mile run Saturday.  The last two weeks here has been brutal.
Thats good mileage!   And Thanks, I haven't been off to a very good start this year.    I ran the other morning and it was 12 degrees but I only ran a short 4.   I need to pick up the pace but just don't seem to want to get out and run.   It's only my second year of running.    Do you have a certain number of miles you have to get for the week or do you run whatever you want? 

Coondog Hog

I've been halfway following a marathon rookie training program right now but I'm only running 3 days a week instead of 4.  With work and the kids it's all I can squeeze in.  I've progressed well ought to keep fifinishing my long runs every week so far so I guess I'm doing enough.
  - Ronald Reagan

-Ronald Reagan

hawgrunner

Your hip and core need to be strong... check out the link it has a lot of great information

http://home.trainingpeaks.com/blog/article/7-hip-and-core-exercises-for-endurance-athletes

Coondog Hog

Anybody running the full marathon at the Hogeye?  Look for me at the back of the pack.
  - Ronald Reagan

-Ronald Reagan

1990sHogBallChild

Has anyone else on here broke their fibula? It happened 3 days ago and curious to know how quickly I can be back to jogging. Even if its just starting at a mile or 2...

1990sHogBallChild

Quote from: Coondog Hog on February 23, 2015, 09:09:39 pm
Anybody running the full marathon at the Hogeye?  Look for me at the back of the pack.

I have 2 brothers running it. One about a 3:15 and the other looking to break the 4 hour barrier.... will this be your first marathon?

Coondog Hog

Yes it will be my first.  I ran the half there last year and had a good time.  I will be quite a bit slower than your brothers. I just want to finish in under 6 hrs. LOL
  - Ronald Reagan

-Ronald Reagan

1990sHogBallChild

Quote from: Coondog Hog on February 25, 2015, 10:38:56 pm
Yes it will be my first.  I ran the half there last year and had a good time.  I will be quite a bit slower than your brothers. I just want to finish in under 6 hrs. LOL

Thats great though. I am telling you I will never forget my first ever. If you are anything like me you will be giddy those last few miles knowing you are about to complete your first and that feeling lasted the rest of the day after my first. Good luck to you that day!!