Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Athlon's Top Offensive Lines

Started by hogcard1964, August 27, 2015, 08:52:24 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogcard1964

Looking Good.  I dig the term "mauling".

The Razorbacks return four starters from the nation's largest offensive line. This unit cleared the way for rushers to average 5.1 yards per carry and allowed only 14 sacks in 2014. All five projected starters for 2015 weigh over 300 pounds, with converted guard Denver Kirkland slated to anchor the line at left tackle. Kirkland and Dan Skipper are among the SEC's best up front, and the tackle duo will have plenty of support from the starters on the interior. Sebastian Tretola is a mauling 322-pound guard, and senior Mitch Smothers enters 2015 with 21 career starts. Sophomore Frank Ragnow is the only new starter for this unit.

Not sure about Baylor and USC.

1. Georgia

2. Michigan St.

3. Ohio St.

4. Baylor

5. Arkansas

6. Auburn

7. LSU

8. Alabama

9. USC

10. TCU

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/college-football-s-top-30-offensive-lines-for-2015-155514210.html

razorbackkid

Five of the 8 top OL's, according to this report, from the SEC.  Big boy football is alive and well.
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

hogcard1964

Quote from: razorbackkid on August 27, 2015, 09:05:18 am
Five of the 8 top OL's, according to this report, from the SEC.  Big boy football is alive and well.

+1000

I think we've made the transition from a "skill" conference to simply a big powerful, smack you in the mouth conference.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: hogcard1964 on August 27, 2015, 08:52:24 am
Looking Good.  I dig the term "mauling".

The Razorbacks return four starters from the nation's largest offensive line. This unit cleared the way for rushers to average 5.1 yards per carry and allowed only 14 sacks in 2014. All five projected starters for 2015 weigh over 300 pounds, with converted guard Denver Kirkland slated to anchor the line at left tackle. Kirkland and Dan Skipper are among the SEC's best up front, and the tackle duo will have plenty of support from the starters on the interior. Sebastian Tretola is a mauling 322-pound guard, and senior Mitch Smothers enters 2015 with 21 career starts. Sophomore Frank Ragnow is the only new starter for this unit.

Not sure about Baylor and USC.

1. Georgia

2. Michigan St.

3. Ohio St.

4. Baylor

5. Arkansas

6. Auburn

7. LSU

8. Alabama

9. USC

10. TCU

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/college-football-s-top-30-offensive-lines-for-2015-155514210.html

IMO the biggest story out of this list is that Alabama's OL is ranked FIFTH in the SEC!!

I'll bet it's bet close to ten years since their OL wasn't ranked first or second in the SEC.

Last year their OL was not up to par, and their running game suffered.  I know most everyone hates on Kiffin, and I enjoy ragging on him as well, but I think he had little choice but to throw it as much as he did.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

razorbackkid

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on August 27, 2015, 09:39:47 am
IMO the biggest story out of this list is that Alabama's OL is ranked FIFTH in the SEC!!

I'll bet it's bet close to ten years since their OL wasn't ranked first or second in the SEC.

Last year their OL was not up to par, and their running game suffered.  I know most everyone hates on Kiffin, and I enjoy ragging on him as well, but I think he had little choice but to throw it as much as he did.
Good point.  Getting the ball to Amari Cooper was critical for Bama last year.  This year with no Cooper, no Yeldon and a subpar line (for Alabama standards) and with no experienced quarterback, Alabama may not be as formidable as in years past. 

I heard Vegas sees Alabama as the most overvalued team in the top 10.
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

hogcard1964

Quote from: razorbackkid on August 27, 2015, 09:59:11 am
Good point.  Getting the ball to Amari Cooper was critical for Bama last year.  This year with no Cooper, no Yeldon and a subpar line (for Alabama standards) and with no experienced quarterback, Alabama may not be as formidable as in years past. 

How do you think they'll do against Wisconsin in their opener?  Vegas only has them as 10 point favs.

razorbackkid

Quote from: hogcard1964 on August 27, 2015, 10:11:44 am
How do you think they'll do against Wisconsin in their opener?  Vegas only has them as 10 point favs.

I'd take the 10 points.  I don't see Wisconsin scoring much on Bama's D, likewise I don't see Bama's offense scoring much either.  Bama's D will most likely win the game for them.

DeltaBoy

Love those big ole boys on the Line. 
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: razorbackkid on August 27, 2015, 09:59:11 am

Okay, here's the recurring dream I've been having.  It involves:

1-Beating the holy crap out of the Aggies, and when I say holy crap, I mean to embarrass their sorry rear ends to the point it destroys the rest of their season!!

2-Beating the snot out of Auburn and send Gus back to the prettiest little town on the plains full of criminals and rapists with a permanent scowl on his stupid face!!

3-Finally, FINALLY putting the better team on the field at Bama and just dominating/controlling the entire game, start to finish, and make them cry out "no mas" before we walk off that stupid field, completely shutting down and demoralizing 100,000+ fans to the point where the sales of new TV sets in Alabama set all time records!!

BTW, this dream come true is on my bucket list!!
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

razorbackkid

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on August 27, 2015, 11:04:06 am

1-Beating the holy crap out of the Aggies, and when I say holy crap, I mean to embarrass their sorry rear ends to the point it destroys the rest of their season!!

2-Beating the snot out of Auburn and send Gus back to the prettiest little town on the plains full of criminals and rapists with a permanent scowl on his stupid face!!

3-Finally, FINALLY putting the better team on the field at Bama and just dominating/controlling the entire game, start to finish, and make them cry out "no mas" before we walk off that stupid field, completely shutting down and demoralizing 100,000+ fans to the point where the sales of new TV sets in Alabama set all time records!!

presidenthog

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on August 27, 2015, 11:04:06 am

You seriously dream about razorback football?? you are so freaking lucky... I dream about stupid stuff like my old home or the occasional I'm sleeping with someone who isn't my significant other... sooo lame...

GoHogs1091

Georgia lost their Offensive Line Coach, Will Friend.  It will be difficult for their new OL Coach, Rob Sale, to be as good as Will Friend.

presidenthog

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on August 27, 2015, 11:36:52 am
Georgia lost their Offensive Line Coach, Will Friend.  It will be difficult for their new OL Coach, Rob Sale, to be as good as Will Friend.
is he in the brent Venable's coaching tree?