Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Offensive line rotation this year

Started by Piglet Dispersion Syndrome, August 25, 2015, 08:59:32 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Piglet Dispersion Syndrome

Haven't heard this discussed this year, but I remember last year early in the season (after Auburn loss specifically), the coaches were concerned that some of our O line got gassed and played too many plays. I believe it was Smothers maybe that the coaches wanted Ragnow to replace after so many plays. Second half of Auburn we couldn't run the ball.  May also have pertained to Skipper, I can't remember.

As the year went on, the first team seemed to stay intact with not much rotation. Any word on whether any on the second unit will be called on in the game plan to play early to keep fresh legs on the line? If so, who is the most likely 2nd unit guy ready to play, or you might say, who is the first teamer  most likley to not make it all game?

Biggus Piggus

The offensive line is in better physical condition now. And it is different. The starters in game 1 last season were (left to right) Skipper | Charpentier | Smothers | Kirkland | Cook.

Starters now are Kirkland | Tretola | Smothers | Ragnow | Skipper.

Now here comes my wild-ass opinion, based on my personal analysis of all available info.

Kirkland is at LT because he is better at the run-blocking aspects of LT than Skipper is. Is Kirkland any better at pass protection? He might not be as good. Kirkland is going to have to work his ass off to keep from being moitalized by the SEC's elite pass rushers.

I would not be surprised one bit if we got to midseason and saw Ragnow and Kirkland flip-flop. I bet they already regret not putting Ragnow at left tackle. Is Ragnow the physical prototype of a left tackle? No less than Kirkland is. Ragnow is progressing faster than anybody else on the line. They should make the move today. They won't.

Kirkland is the big power blocker Bielema wants at left tackle. He wants to overpower SEC run defenses. I'm beginning to suspect that Bielema has some philosophical tendencies that are suboptimal. We thought two years of running into the pile stemmed from risk aversion. No. Bielema wants his team to have the ability to plow through an SEC defense, even when there are two dozen easier ways to get to the end zone.

To Bielema, it's not always about just getting to the end zone. It is about breaking the opponent's spirit. What if it does not break? What if you keep failing in the red zone?

The second-team offensive line consists of Gibson | Allen | Rogers | Danenhauer | Wallace. Next up are Jalen Merrick and Colton Jackson. Those are good players to be third team.

The Hogs would prefer to redshirt Allen, Rogers, Merrick and Jackson. Don't see how they can afford to redshirt all of them. Danenhauer can fill in at guard or tackle, and Wallace is an obvious next in line, but they probably need another backup guard and somebody ready to play center.

Not having to open the season at hot and humid Auburn will make it easier for Arkansas to manage its Oline depth chart. They won't be rotating in an entire second unit. How many will play is a very good question.

And let's not pretend UTEP is Missouri State. Arkansas won't be able to sub freely throughout the game.
[CENSORED]!

ifghog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 25, 2015, 09:25:43 am
The offensive line is in better physical condition now. And it is different. The starters in game 1 last season were (left to right) Skipper | Charpentier | Smothers | Kirkland | Cook.

Now here comes my wild-ass opinion, based on my personal analysis of all available info.

Kirkland is at LT because he is better at the run-blocking aspects of LT than Skipper is. Is Kirkland any better at pass protection? He might not be as good. Kirkland is going to have to work his ass off to keep from being moitalized by the SEC's elite pass rushers.

I would not be surprised one bit if we got to midseason and saw Ragnow and Kirkland flip-flop. I bet they already regret not putting Ragnow at left tackle. Is Ragnow the physical prototype of a left tackle? No less than Kirkland is. Ragnow is progressing faster than anybody else on the line. They should make the move today. They won't.

Kirkland is the big power blocker Bielema wants at left tackle. He wants to overpower SEC run defenses. I'm beginning to suspect that Bielema has some philosophical tendencies that are suboptimal. We thought two years of running into the pile stemmed from risk aversion. No. Bielema wants his team to have the ability to plow through an SEC defense, even when there are two dozen easier ways to get to the end zone.

To Bielema, it's not always about just getting to the end zone. It is about breaking the opponent's spirit. What if it does not break? What if you keep failing in the red zone?

The second-team offensive line consists of Gibson | Allen | Rogers | Danenhauer | Wallace. Next up are Jalen Merrick and Colton Jackson. Those are good players to be third team.

The Hogs would prefer to redshirt Allen, Rogers, Merrick and Jackson. Don't see how they can afford to redshirt all of them. Danenhauer can fill in at guard or tackle, and Wallace is an obvious next in line, but they probably need another backup guard and somebody ready to play center.

Not having to open the season at hot and humid Auburn will make it easier for Arkansas to manage its Oline depth chart. They won't be rotating in an entire second unit. How many will play is a very good question.

And let's not pretend UTEP is Missouri State. Arkansas won't be able to sub freely throughout the game.
Great post...I def could see that scenario. I am hoping Wallace becomes our next big time LT.

MS_HogFan

Biggus Thanks for the info. I really enjoy your posts. I always have to look up at least one word from your posts. You are helping me grow my vocabulary. What does "moitalized" mean?
SOOIE

PonderinHog

Quote from: MS_HogFan on August 25, 2015, 09:54:19 am
Biggus Thanks for the info. I really enjoy your posts. I always have to look up at least one word from your posts. You are helping me grow my vocabulary. What does "moitalized" mean?
http://cheezburger.com/3696231168

Poker_hog

Skipper wastes a lot of energy running and cleaning up piles.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

Uncommon

+1 about Ragnow and Kirkland possibly switching.  That has crossed my mind some as well.  I guess to keep all the freshman redshirted, this would be the 2nd string offensive line if we're winning by a lot (think Nicholls State or UAB type score):
LT Johnny Gibson - has already redshirted and is 2nd string LT
LG Reeve Koehler - redshirt sophomore that could fill in for junk time
C Marcus Danenhauer - 5th year senior that Pittman says can play all 5 spots
RG Austin Beck - 5th year senior that could fill in for junk time
RT Brian Wallace - has already redshirted and is 2nd string RT

robs4516

Quote from: Poker_hog on August 25, 2015, 10:03:06 am

I think there's a new rule this season that you can't pull people off piles. Let's hope Skipper has been coached to not do that. That should help with his stamina ;)
First of all, I didn't start it...
Second of all, they were all still alive when I walked out

Styflin

I would also add that Wallace might not be progressing as fast as they had hoped. The general consensus is that you want your best OL at the LT position and Biggus is absolutely correct here. Tackle has been a problem for a long time for us. This will be the third LT to start in as many seasons. It's not as if BB was left with a lot of talent at that position. We are working on it.

Simply put, we are not where we need to be on the offensive line just yet. I think it will take another two classes before we get where coach wants us. Losing out on Weathersby last recruiting class hurt. We need a minimum of 5 OL in this next class.

One last thing to note here regarding Kirkland, they just mentioned that SP has altered his technique and it seems to be helping. This is a little concerning to me. I would have hoped that would have been worked out already. Gibson has been impressing at the Tackle position and might get a look there before Ragnow would.

Coach said that Rogers will travel and they will do whatever it takes to Redshirt him. Ragnow was even mentioned moving to center if needed (might never make it to LT) and Rogers being used in a catastrophic situation.

Josh Allen will more than likely play and provide depth.

Merrick will Redshirt along with Jackson IMO.

Wallace will get plenty of opportunities to get on the field this season.

Offensive line is still a work in progress. Losing JWill is going to hurt in the grand scheme of things. We will be forced to throw the ball a little more than we anticipated. That leads to more interceptions (as we have already seen in practices) and the offensive line pass protecting more. We have already struggled a little in that regard. We will get there though. I am actually thankful for the way the season opens up this year. Hopefully we get some things ironed out.

The_Iceman

Two Options if we have to move Kirkland:

Wallace | Tretola | Ragnow | Kirkland | Skipper

or

Ragnow | Tretola | Smothers | Kirkland | Skipper

TechHog

I've questioned Kirk's feet for LT since they moved him over there.  Ragnow move makes sense in my mind.  Don't sleep on Gibson either.

Sir Oinksalot

...good posts above, yes, as I understand what Coach B. will do if Smothers must come out
is slide Ragnow over to center and bring in Allen for Ragnow. He hopes to redshirt Rogers.
Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...

bigdaddyhawg

Well, I guess this is a sign of the apocalypse ... but it seems we are now questioning the personnel decisions of our OL coach, who most agree is the finest in the nation.  Wow.

I'll admit I'm no OL expert in the least, but I am pretty sure there are very real, tangible reasons they moved Kirkland to LT, and from what I've read and seen they seem pretty satisfied with him over there.  The deal that was brought out this week about Sam tweaking his stance to help him in pass blocking is what coaches do -- it's what they are getting paid to do.  Do you guys think a coach gets his unit together, all lined out, and then takes a vacation?  Come on.  That is nothing more than "coaching 'em up".  It shouldn't be looked at as a bad thing, but just the opposite.  NOW is the time to get the kinks worked out, not the in the second half of the ULM game (historical reference).

We've got more talent on our OL than we've had in forever.  We've got the best OL coach known to man.  And we've got a HC who knows how to use those guys.

Have at least a little confidence guys.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: MS_HogFan on August 25, 2015, 09:54:19 am

That's a word that dates back to Saturday morning cartoons and Marvel Comics.
[CENSORED]!

Hogzilla Killa

Quote from: The_Iceman on August 25, 2015, 10:15:52 am
Two Options if we have to move Kirkland:

Wallace | Tretola | Ragnow | Kirkland | Skipper

or

Ragnow | Tretola | Smothers | Kirkland | Skipper

Option 1 would have been my ideal scenario for this year but maybe the coaches felt like they would have been wasting Ragnow by playing him at center. I guess it's a good thing to have some quality, veteran depth at different positions across the line. I'd rather have 5th year seniors than freshman backing up the line.

Theolesnort

The running game with Kody Walker is going to be much better than most on here think. The young man has a serious feint, wiggle or what ever you want to call it to run up the middle but change it by pushing off on one of his legs very quickly and attacking the edge. He has a real talent for it. Running behind Kirkland, Skipper and the tight ends sealing off the linebackers will make it very effective. He showed those moves over and over in the Spring game. I can't wait to see it in a for real game.I can't say where Kirlland will play in the NFL but he is where he is for us for a reason.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

presidenthog

I'm sorry but you are wrong. they moved Kirkland because "he was our best pass pro guy" I think he was just slightly better at pass pro than skipper and skipper's natural spot is RT. we just don't have a true LT.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: presidenthog on August 25, 2015, 12:13:25 pm
I'm sorry but you are wrong. they moved Kirkland because "he was our best pass pro guy" I think he was just slightly better at pass pro than skipper and skipper's natural spot is RT. we just don't have a true LT.
I am 100% agreement with you on this! skipper was an issue in pass pro at LT that is why the move was made, pretty sure CBB said it in kinder terms. IMO if they trusted Wallace he would be the LT, but they don't so here we are. Ragnow can play anywhere IMO.

hawginbigd1

To OP it won't be as big an issue because we don't play Auburn right out of the gate in a 100 degree temps.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: presidenthog on August 25, 2015, 12:13:25 pm

You can believe that if you want to.
[CENSORED]!

presidenthog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 25, 2015, 01:00:39 pm
You can believe that if you want to.
I got all of that directly from CBB amd CSP. so you can continue to believe whatever you want but I'll believe what the coaches have said.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on August 25, 2015, 12:50:09 pm
I am 100% agreement with you on this! skipper was an issue in pass pro at LT that is why the move was made, pretty sure CBB said it in kinder terms. IMO if they trusted Wallace he would be the LT, but they don't so here we are. Ragnow can play anywhere IMO.

This is my personal belief, but I think part of the reason they moved Skipper was to reduce the officiating focus on him, because it's seemed they have a hard on for that guy.  I just think BB hopes he may become a little more "invisible" on the right side.  Hopefully, it works all the way around.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

BPsTheMan

Left Tackle needs to be the best athlete to protect the backside of a right handed QB

Brandon is right handed, Kirkland gets the nod over Skipper on athleticism

hammer66

Quote from: Styflin on August 25, 2015, 10:14:36 am
I would also add that Wallace might not be progressing as fast as they had hoped. The general consensus is that you want your best OL at the LT position and Biggus is absolutely correct here. Tackle has been a problem for a long time for us. This will be the third LT to start in as many seasons. It's not as if BB was left with a lot of talent at that position. We are working on it.

Simply put, we are not where we need to be on the offensive line just yet. I think it will take another two classes before we get where coach wants us. Losing out on Weathersby last recruiting class hurt. We need a minimum of 5 OL in this next class.

One last thing to note here regarding Kirkland, they just mentioned that SP has altered his technique and it seems to be helping. This is a little concerning to me. I would have hoped that would have been worked out already. Gibson has been impressing at the Tackle position and might get a look there before Ragnow would.

Coach said that Rogers will travel and they will do whatever it takes to Redshirt him. Ragnow was even mentioned moving to center if needed (might never make it to LT) and Rogers being used in a catastrophic situation.

Josh Allen will more than likely play and provide depth.

Merrick will Redshirt along with Jackson IMO.

Wallace will get plenty of opportunities to get on the field this season.

Offensive line is still a work in progress. Losing JWill is going to hurt in the grand scheme of things. We will be forced to throw the ball a little more than we anticipated. That leads to more interceptions (as we have already seen in practices) and the offensive line pass protecting more. We have already struggled a little in that regard. We will get there though. I am actually thankful for the way the season opens up this year. Hopefully we get some things ironed out.

We certainly didn't struggle with our pass pro last year. We gave up very few sacks last year based on sacks per attempt which is apples to apples with any team.
CBB & CSP have both said that DK is the best pass pro blocker on the team, which is why they moved him to LT.
Anyway, I wouldn't worry too much about the oline, we will be special there this year if we can avoid injuries

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: hammer66 on August 25, 2015, 02:05:43 pm
We certainly didn't struggle with our pass pro last year. We gave up very few sacks last year based on sacks per attempt which is apples to apples with any team.

What????  No way!!!

Because I've read on here a million times (a lot, right??!!) that Brandon Allen is constantly running for his life and NEVER has any time to pass, what with every single defensive lineman in his lap 0.01 seconds after he receives the snap!!

So, surely your stats are not correct. But even if they are, the stat of sacks per pass attempt must be completely misleading!!

Explain yourself!!

Biggus Piggus

Sacks per attempt does not tell you how much of your incompletion % was the QB throwing away the football.
[CENSORED]!

sowmonella

Denver has great mobility and quick feet for a guy his size. He'll be great by conference play. :razorback:
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Styflin

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 25, 2015, 04:02:15 pm
Sacks per attempt does not tell you how much of your incompletion % was the QB throwing away the football.

This

Hog Fan from Camden

Quote from: Poker_hog on August 25, 2015, 10:03:06 am
I hate when he does this! 

rzrbackramsfan

I've always heard Kirkland is great at pass pro and whole they haven't gave him glowing reviews it seems to be going to plan with him at LT. 

hawginbigd1

All I will say is watch last years games, I bet you in all 13 games we don't have more than 20 straight drop back plays all season in definite passing downs. That is not about the offense, that is about the OL.

Bigdavis

To hear Sam Pittman talk Kirkland is amazing at everything. I don't know why so many people are concerned about Kirkland.

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on August 25, 2015, 11:09:47 am
Well, I guess this is a sign of the apocalypse ... but it seems we are now questioning the personnel decisions of our OL coach, who most agree is the finest in the nation.  Wow.

I'll admit I'm no OL expert in the least, but I am pretty sure there are very real, tangible reasons they moved Kirkland to LT, and from what I've read and seen they seem pretty satisfied with him over there.  The deal that was brought out this week about Sam tweaking his stance to help him in pass blocking is what coaches do -- it's what they are getting paid to do.  Do you guys think a coach gets his unit together, all lined out, and then takes a vacation?  Come on.  That is nothing more than "coaching 'em up".  It shouldn't be looked at as a bad thing, but just the opposite.  NOW is the time to get the kinks worked out, not the in the second half of the ULM game (historical reference).

We've got more talent on our OL than we've had in forever.  We've got the best OL coach known to man.  And we've got a HC who knows how to use those guys.

Have at least a little confidence guys.

This

hammer66

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on August 25, 2015, 05:44:04 pm
All I will say is watch last years games, I bet you in all 13 games we don't have more than 20 straight drop back plays all season in definite passing downs. That is not about the offense, that is about the OL.

First, I did watch every game last year, most multiple times, and we had way more than 20 drop back passes throughout the year, this is a silly statement.
Secondly, there are many reasons why a team would protect their QB with roll outs and such. Receivers not getting separation is a very common reason why it's done.
Lastly, I can understand people being Devils advocates but to pick holes at the hog oline just baffles me. I would be willing to bet 95% of the coaches in div 1 would trade their oline for ours.

presidenthog

Quote from: hammer66 on August 25, 2015, 07:06:25 pm
First, I did watch every game last year, most multiple times, and we had way more than 20 drop back passes throughout the year, this is a silly statement.
Secondly, there are many reasons why a team would protect their QB with roll outs and such. Receivers not getting separation is a very common reason why it's done.
Lastly, I can understand people being Devils advocates but to pick holes at the hog oline just baffles me. I would be willing to bet 95% of the coaches in div 1 would trade their oline for ours.
here is the deal. I'm not buying all of the hype around our o line. I think k they are good but I still believe there is things they need to improve upon. there is definitely stats out there to suggest they weren't the best they could be and I still worry about us in certain situations. Mike Irwin has some questions about our tackles. they will be good, but as good as the hype? I'm not sure because the hype is HUGE! this isn't nay saying against us. just saying we could do some things better, like pass pro, or run blocking in short yardage.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: presidenthog on August 25, 2015, 07:56:56 pm
here is the deal. I'm not buying all of the hype around our o line. I think k they are good but I still believe there is things they need to improve upon. there is definitely stats out there to suggest they weren't the best they could be and I still worry about us in certain situations. Mike Irwin has some questions about our tackles. they will be good, but as good as the hype? I'm not sure because the hype is HUGE! this isn't nay saying against us. just saying we could do some things better, like pass pro, or run blocking in short yardage.

All of this speculation will be answered shortly.
Go Hogs Go!

bennyl08

Quote from: presidenthog on August 25, 2015, 07:56:56 pm

You are always your own worst critic. The best lines in the history of the game have some things that they can improve on as well. Our line isn't going to be perfect in passing situations and we won't be able to convert every 3rd/4th and short. However, I'd venture a guess that our OL will still operate better than most others in the country.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

supersaint

Quote from: Bigdavis on August 25, 2015, 05:52:38 pm
To hear Sam Pittman talk Kirkland is amazing at everything. I don't know why so many people are concerned about Kirkland.

This
Because someone made a video.
There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: hammer66 on August 25, 2015, 07:06:25 pm
Clearly you are doing it wrong! Definite passing situations are 2nd and 8+ and 3rd and 5 +, we almost always moved the pocket. You are like the rest of the WR nay-Sayers that don't understand what you are watching. You move the pocket and take away half the field it becomes much easier to cover. All of those throw aways are from flooding half the field and having coverage on top and underneath receivers, doesn't have anything to do with receiver and separation abilities. Point is our OL struggled in pass pro particularly at LT. There were many deficiencies in our passing game the least of which had to do with the WR position.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Hog Fan from Camden on August 25, 2015, 04:42:15 pm
I hate when he does this!

No way, give me 5 more 6'9 monsters cleaning up piles and see who wants to screw with your QB and RB.  These guys can protect your QB from everything except someone blowing up his truck. 

presidenthog

Quote from: bennyl08 on August 25, 2015, 08:48:29 pm
You are always your own worst critic. The best lines in the history of the game have some things that they can improve on as well. Our line isn't going to be perfect in passing situations and we won't be able to convert every 3rd/4th and short. However, I'd venture a guess that our OL will still operate better than most others in the country.
I'm not being my own worst critic. look I just believe that the truth is usually between where your highest hopes are and where your worst fears are. I am just telling everyone to not think we are going to be the end all be all at oline. we will be good as long as the coaches we have are here. not everything is black and white. I have, and rightfully so, some reservations about our oline. I feel I'm a pretty realistic person.

hammer66

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on August 25, 2015, 10:21:13 pm
Clearly you are doing it wrong! Definite passing situations are 2nd and 8+ and 3rd and 5 +, we almost always moved the pocket. You are like the rest of the WR nay-Sayers that don't understand what you are watching. You move the pocket and take away half the field it becomes much easier to cover. All of those throw aways are from flooding half the field and having coverage on top and underneath receivers, doesn't have anything to do with receiver and separation abilities. Point is our OL struggled in pass pro particularly at LT. There were many deficiencies in our passing game the least of which had to do with the WR position.

Ever heard of Richard Sherman. How many NFL teams game plan to stay away from his side of the field. I didn't say anything derogatory concerning our WR's, you won't ever see me posting anything negative about our players. I wear Razorback glasses 24/7.
I was merely stating that there r many reasons for offenses to game plan which protects the QB that have nothing to do with an olines blocking ability.
Sam Pittman thinks we have a great oline, I just watched the interview with him and he thinks DK might be the best LT in college, so it looks like your fears of having an issue at that position can be put to rest.

And no I didn't break down each play from each game and determine what a passing down is. A passing down is definitely not determined by a certain down and distance, many coaches believe 2nd and short is better suited for a pass than a run. A passing down is mostly determined by what the defense is lined up in.

bennyl08

Quote from: presidenthog on August 25, 2015, 10:55:27 pm
I'm not being my own worst critic. look I just believe that the truth is usually between where your highest hopes are and where your worst fears are. I am just telling everyone to not think we are going to be the end all be all at oline. we will be good as long as the coaches we have are here. not everything is black and white. I have, and rightfully so, some reservations about our oline. I feel I'm a pretty realistic person.

What I am saying is, think about what the hype is actually saying. Saying that we will have one of the best OLs in the country isn't saying we will push the defense 3 yards back on every run play or that Brandon won't face any pressure. Everybody should have some reservations about the OL because there is always something we can improve on. I can say that we have a top 5 OL in college football and say that we will probably get stuffed at the goal line during the season and that BA will have at least one game where he gets sacked 3 times.

That is where being your own worst critic comes into play. We had trouble converting short yardage plays last year. That is absolutely true. However, all 120 of so teams also had trouble. Our low sacks given up rate is unquestionably tied to BAs completion percentage with many would be sacks resulting instead in safe incompletions. However, every team in the country had their qb pressured during the season. Will we have THE best OL? Doubtful. UGAs and Ohio States will probably be superior. Will there be 10 offensive lines that are better than ours? I doubt it. I agree, not everything is black and white. You can be near the top and still have major weaknesses to overcome. There are reservations about Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, and Andrew Luck. It doesn't mean the hype train is wrong and that those aren't some of the best qbs in the game right. All of them have lots of room to improve, but being less than perfect doesn't mean you aren't still the best.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

presidenthog

Quote from: bennyl08 on August 25, 2015, 11:25:20 pm
What I am saying is, think about what the hype is actually saying. Saying that we will have one of the best OLs in the country isn't saying we will push the defense 3 yards back on every run play or that Brandon won't face any pressure. Everybody should have some reservations about the OL because there is always something we can improve on. I can say that we have a top 5 OL in college football and say that we will probably get stuffed at the goal line during the season and that BA will have at least one game where he gets sacked 3 times.

That is where being your own worst critic comes into play. We had trouble converting short yardage plays last year. That is absolutely true. However, all 120 of so teams also had trouble. Our low sacks given up rate is unquestionably tied to BAs completion percentage with many would be sacks resulting instead in safe incompletions. However, every team in the country had their qb pressured during the season. Will we have THE best OL? Doubtful. UGAs and Ohio States will probably be superior. Will there be 10 offensive lines that are better than ours? I doubt it. I agree, not everything is black and white. You can be near the top and still have major weaknesses to overcome. There are reservations about Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, and Andrew Luck. It doesn't mean the hype train is wrong and that those aren't some of the best qbs in the game right. All of them have lots of room to improve, but being less than perfect doesn't mean you aren't still the best.
I think we are saying the same thing. are we a top 10 oline. yes. are we a top 5? maybe. we have to answer some questions to get there. I think we have the potential. I'm just not ready to anoint us just yet.

bennyl08

Quote from: presidenthog on August 25, 2015, 11:34:52 pm
I think we are saying the same thing. are we a top 10 oline. yes. are we a top 5? maybe. we have to answer some questions to get there. I think we have the potential. I'm just not ready to anoint us just yet.

Okay. I think top 10 OL is pretty hype worthy. You also have the issue of different flavored OL's. Our OL would be very poor at running an Oregon style offense and vice versa. They have a very good line for what they, but how does one compare the two?

CFB_Fanatic

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on August 25, 2015, 10:21:13 pm

Boom. Nailed it. Been saying this for weeks. Hopefully the pass pro imporves this year, and if they do so will the Win column.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Bigdavis on August 25, 2015, 05:52:38 pm

Because sometimes you have to read between the lines.
[CENSORED]!

lefty08

Kirkland got beat on an inside move during the scrimmage, and has reportedly struggled on inside moves during the fall. Its nothing to worry about imo, he will get that problem solved. Lucky for us BA can move around better than a lot of QBs, the kicker is having a place to go with the ball when that happens.  There are many more things to worry about than Kirkland getting beat by one of our rush ends
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Biggus Piggus

A Sam Pittman quote from Dudley Dawson's story today on Hawgs Illustrated:

Question was whether the offensive line would be better this season vs. last season.

"That's the plan. Obviously we want to be better than we have ever been. If we can or not, we will still have to wait and see. Certainly we have worked hard and are talented. We will have to see if we can play together well and see things before they happen, and if we do then I think we will be a good line. If we can't, than I think we will be average or below average. It just depends on if we see things or not."

OK.
[CENSORED]!

HoopS

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 26, 2015, 06:30:59 am
I understand that but he also said he thought he could make it in the league at LT. That's a pretty substantial statement.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 26, 2015, 06:30:59 am

Reading between the lines without a license is verboten on Hogville.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.