Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

CBB's answer about receivers at the LR Td club presser

Started by arlhog, August 24, 2015, 09:57:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: arlhog on August 24, 2015, 09:57:01 pm
Anyone besides me get the "not so warm fuzzy" feeling about his answer when asked about receivers that can stretch the field?  It's not rocket surgery.  The better, faster receivers you have, the more the defense has to keep players back.  If you can't stretch the field, they can play closer to the line.  You can run the ball all day long, but as long as you have the deep threat the defense has to respect it.  Henry is an elite TE, Hatcher is a solid receiver, and Reed is a possibility but an unknown at this level.   Maybe it's just me but I didn't really like the answer at all.

He said that the Receivers and the other players around BA were the best since he has been here. He also said that in the past it might have been more difficult to feel confident that catches were going to be made when the ball was delivered to a receiver. He also went on to talk about the fact that Reed could not only stretch the field, but that he was a valuable receiver in patterns over the middle. And the bottom line was that they wanted to extend drives and convert. I didn't take his remark about needing 3 yards for a 1st down to mean that we are always going to run it in the those situations as much as he was just presenting the facts, if you need 3 yards to convert and sustain a drive, you don't need to be worried about being able to throw it 50 yards downfield at that particular moment. That doesn't prevent us however, from running play action in that situation and hitting a quick slant for 10-15 yards.
Go Hogs Go!

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on August 25, 2015, 09:51:36 am
Maybe the term is appropriate, rocket science would be building the rocket(it's already built), rocket surgery would be repairing or tweaking the rocket.  Isn't that what we want done with our passing offense?

Understood. Then the phrase would be brain surgery.  ;)
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

scruf

Quote from: ricepig on August 25, 2015, 04:47:37 pm
He met the press either before, or after it. There was a link on that on here somewhere.

Here:

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=596910.0
Thanks ricepig! After listening to his answer about receivers stretching the field it was very clear to me that he was addressing philosophy more than strategy. His statement was that he's not trying to play fast and trick anybody but that if it was 3rd and 4 then they needed 5 yards. He added that Dominique Reed will bring a deep threat to the passing game as well as be able to go over the middle and that the overall talent at WR had increased. I think that if anyone found anything negative in his response then they are either completely unfamiliar with his philosophy or they just don't like it.

buffaload

Quote from: greasy_corner on August 25, 2015, 08:01:07 am
That was the best part of the post.  Coach Ford would be proud.

"I don't read no books."

Bigdavis

Quote from: scruf on August 25, 2015, 05:46:52 pm
Thanks ricepig! After listening to his answer about receivers stretching the field it was very clear to me that he was addressing philosophy more than strategy. His statement was that he's not trying to play fast and trick anybody but that if it was 3rd and 4 then they needed 5 yards. He added that Dominique Reed will bring a deep threat to the passing game as well as be able to go over the middle and that the overall talent at WR had increased. I think that if anyone found anything negative in his response then they are either completely unfamiliar with his philosophy or they just don't like it.

Exactly. What gave the OP the not so fuzzy feeling was the comment about how this offense is more methodical and doesn't have a necessity to be quick strike if we need 4 yards the goal is to get at least 5. He did say several nice things about the passing game and in other quotes this offseason he's said that he thinks we will be a much more of a big play offense than we have been. This gnashing of teeth is ridiculous. 

scruf

Quote from: Bigdavis on August 25, 2015, 05:58:19 pm
Exactly. What gave the OP the not so fuzzy feeling was the comment about how this offense is more methodical and doesn't have a necessity to be quick strike if we need 4 yards the goal is to get at least 5. He did say several nice things about the passing game and in other quotes this offseason he's said that he thinks we will be a much more of a big play offense than we have been. This gnashing of teeth is ridiculous. 
Yeah, kind of what I was thinking. I'm ready to watch some football.

Cinco de Hogo

I could give my opinion but instead I'll just ask about inside the four yd line?

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: ChitownHawg on August 25, 2015, 05:35:42 pm
Understood. Then the phrase would be brain surgery.  ;)

Ok I'll buy brain surgery on a rocket.

ChitownHawg

PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

ALLVOL

For those of us not there lol. Can someone tell us the question and his response?

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: JaxFlaRazorback on August 25, 2015, 05:10:10 pm
Coach Royal said, "Three things can happen when you pass, and two of them are bad."
so not true, though. What is so bad about an incomplete pass? live to fight another day. And the 'one' good thing about a pass is it scores touchdowns.

All that said, I'm a ground and pound guy so, carry on coach B!
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

ChitownHawg

Quote from: ALLVOL on August 25, 2015, 06:52:30 pm
For those of us not there lol. Can someone tell us the question and his response?

Link to the video is in this thread.

razorbackkid

I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

BirmingHam

hawgwash

Quote from: JaxFlaRazorback on August 25, 2015, 05:10:10 pm
Coach Royal said, "Three things can happen when you pass, and two of them are bad."
I remember one play in 1969 where I wish he would have called for a running play.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: arlhog on August 24, 2015, 09:57:01 pm
Anyone besides me get the "not so warm fuzzy" feeling about his answer when asked about receivers that can stretch the field?  It's not rocket surgery.  The better, faster receivers you have, the more the defense has to keep players back.  If you can't stretch the field, they can play closer to the line.  You can run the ball all day long, but as long as you have the deep threat the defense has to respect it.  Henry is an elite TE, Hatcher is a solid receiver, and Reed is a possibility but an unknown at this level.   Maybe it's just me but I didn't really like the answer at all.

You might be reaching just a little bit.  ???
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: Cure on August 25, 2015, 08:52:19 am
Bielema will throw the ball if he has receivers, he's shown that plenty of times before.

An old coach, who was known for running the ball, said "When I have one guy that can throw it well, along with a couple of guys that can catch it well, you'll see us throw more."