#5 Michigan State

#6 Auburn
#9 UGA
#14 LSU
#17 Ole Miss
#24 Mizzou
#25 Tenn

Bacon_Bitz

Miss St and A&M first two out. A&M will definitely be ranked for our game if they beat Az St

Pig in the Pokey

Exactly what I guessed!! I would have flipped us and Ole Miss, though.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Hog N Bama

Let the climb begin! Go Hogs! :razorback:

Phil D

Going to be a fun ride this year fellas. Woo Pig!! :razorback:
GO HOGS!!!!!!

870hogfan

lahawg1

I still don't understand the LSWho and Ole Piss ranking...baffling

McKdaddy

Lsu will miss Chavis. He's been the glue to their success.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

ChiTown27

Eleven SEC schools ranked above Texas. 😁
"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul
can always depend on the support of Paul."

George Bernard Shaw

Hog N Bama

Quote from: McKdaddy on August 23, 2015, 01:27:58 pm
Lsu will miss Chavis. He's been the glue to their success.
bbbbbbut but they have Les!  :puke: Thank goodness!

scruf

The entire SEC-W makes up 25% of the Top 27.

McKdaddy

Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

Hog N Bama

ZERO

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on August 23, 2015, 01:27:02 pm
Yeah, Ole miss? That's crazy.

Ole Miss has improved every year under Freeze. I think they're going to be good this year again, too.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

scruf

Quote from: 870hogfan on August 23, 2015, 01:24:10 pm
Auburn is overrated.
Their fall from the Top 25 will be fun to watch but they probably won't be ranked when Arkansas beats them down on October 24th and that...that is no fun.

Cinco de Hogo

PonderinHog

scruf

go hogues

Quote from: lahawg1 on August 23, 2015, 01:24:12 pm
I still don't understand the Ole Piss ranking...baffling
But, but, they have the Grove, Square and four recruits from two years ago!! How dare you question the decisions of the AP!
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

Hog N Bama

Quote from: go hogues on August 23, 2015, 02:12:04 pm
But, but, they have the Grove, Square and four recruits from two years ago!! How dare you question the decisions of the AP!
30-0 :razorback:

mhsbc59

I have changed my sig line of over 4 years that was never a problem until May 5 ,2011

WarPig88

ricepig

About right to start the season, and we'll have plenty of opportunities to improve on it.

Atlhogfan1

Great news!  Like seeing the program regaining respect.  I think we may finish in the top 25 but won't be surprised to see us moving up and down quite a bit given our away from home schedule.  Depends on how much emphasis voters put on record and who you play.  The polls have always been based too much on record IMO. 

I get it with LSU.  They are loaded with talent.  One of their issues has been talent leaving early for the NFL.  It goes to show you how well they can recruit for them to still be where they are after the talent they have lost.  Just in the 2014 class they signed the #1 RB and WR.  I don't see them taking much of a step back defensively either.  It is what others outside the SEC don't get or don't want to get.  A team like LSU may end up with 3 or 4 losses.  But they are deep in talent. 

OM is loaded too with their starters if they can find a qb.  I still see their downfall being lack of a running game in Freeze Ball and lack of depth will again catch up to them later in the season.

A&M should be ranked.  I don't know about Mizzou.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Hogwild

Quote from: lahawg1 on August 23, 2015, 01:24:12 pm
I still don't understand the LSWho and Ole Piss ranking...baffling

Of the 22 players selected 1st team All-SEC offense & defense, 7 are from LSU & Ole Miss. If either get a QB they would be serious contenders for the conference title. 

Razorback_Mack

GuvHog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on August 23, 2015, 03:37:10 pm
Great news!  Like seeing the program regaining respect.  I think we may finish in the top 25 but won't be surprised to see us moving up and down quite a bit given our away from home schedule.  Depends on how much emphasis voters put on record and who you play.  The polls have always been based too much on record IMO. 

I get it with LSU.  They are loaded with talent.  One of their issues has been talent leaving early for the NFL.  It goes to show you how well they can recruit for them to still be where they are after the talent they have lost.  Just in the 2014 class they signed the #1 RB and WR.  I don't see them taking much of a step back defensively either.  It is what others outside the SEC don't get or don't want to get.  A team like LSU may end up with 3 or 4 losses.  But they are deep in talent. 

OM is loaded too with their starters if they can find a qb.  I still see their downfall being lack of a running game in Freeze Ball and lack of depth will again catch up to them later in the season.

A&M should be ranked.  I don't know about Mizzou.

LSU's new DC is not close to being on the same plateau with Chavis so their defense will take a step back IMHO, and their offense won't be much better.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

pigture perfect

Let the eliminations begain. Hopefully VaTech kicks the crap out of the Butteyes as my 4 year old lispy Nephew calls them. Then the SEC-w can commence their 6 man Battle Royal.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: scruf on August 23, 2015, 01:43:00 pm
Their fall from the Top 25 will be fun to watch but they probably won't be ranked when Arkansas beats them down on October 24th and that...that is no fun.
naw. they will be ranked until their 3rd loss, @ Fayettenam
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

GoHogs1091

Auburn and Florida State should not be in the Top 10.

Auburn has a Defensive Coordinator who is for the first time ever coordinating a Defense for a team who uses a HUNH Offense.

Florida State lost their Heisman winning QB, and lost 4 starting Offensive Linemen.

younghog

Quote from: Bacon_Bitz on August 23, 2015, 01:14:33 pm
Miss St and A&M first two out. A&M will definitely be ranked for our game if they beat Az St

they will not Beat Arizona State.. :-)
GO HOGS

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: GuvHog on August 23, 2015, 05:19:01 pm
LSU's new DC is not close to being on the same plateau with Chavis so their defense will take a step back IMHO, and their offense won't be much better.

We'll see.  Chavis isn't unlike Muschamp to me.  He has been at frontrunner programs.  As a DC, he has coached under Majors and Fulmer when UT was recruiting nationwide amongst the elite and then went to LSU whose backyard is loaded with elite defensive recruits.  Now he goes to A&M whose recruiting base is very much like LSU's.  I think he'll do well at A&M because of the resources.  Not really sure what kind of a genius he is.  We'll see if LSU goes more 3-4 and if their def front can play well.  Their secondary should be good as usual and they should have good athletic LB's. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Bigpiggin

Quote from: Hogwild on August 23, 2015, 05:11:07 pm

Of the 22 players selected 1st team All-SEC offense & defense, 7 are from LSU & Ole Miss. If either get a QB they would be serious contenders for the conference title.
LSU doesn't have a problem getting quarterbacks. They have problems coaching them.

Danny J

Quote from: Bigpiggin on August 23, 2015, 05:51:34 pm
LSU doesn't have a problem getting quarterbacks. They have problems coaching them.
AND many seem to forget what has made them great....Chavis. He is now gone. Still a lot of talent but talent without coaching is a disaster. I bet LSU completely falls off the cliff this year. Miles will be on the hot seat....

scruf

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on August 23, 2015, 05:25:32 pm
Auburn and Florida State should not be in the Top 10.

Auburn has a Defensive Coordinator who is for the first time ever coordinating a Defense for a team who uses a HUNH Offense.

Florida State lost their Heisman winning QB, and lost 4 starting Offensive Linemen.
Great points all-around, especially about the HUNH.

Atlhogfan1

QB isn't what has made LSU's offense tough to defend at times.  It has been rolling out eventual NFL wr's which they still have plus Fournette and a veteran oline.  Their defense hasn't just been Chavis.  Their defense has been great with defensive backs going back to when Saban was there that allowed them to do different things in the front 7 and dictate what happens with their secondary.  That talent in the secondary is still there.  I think LSU is being underestimated. 

tophawg19

i'm not so sure it was Chavis as much as all that talent available
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

hawg66

I've been watching the SEC Network top 20 games from last year.  I watched the LSU-Florida game last night and it made me think maybe Gus overthought this one.  The main thing I saw with Florida was the total lack of discipline and very little concept of "team".  The UF defense was eleven great players, yes, but it was far from a great defensive unit.   When someone did make a play, it was likely to be erased by a stupid penalty.  There was very little celebrating among the unit for a good play.  Most saw it as an opportunity to taunt the other team, not celebrate their buddy's great play.  Weird when you see it.  He made the tackle, so I'm going to stand over you and talk trash, flex my muscles and act like i did it. Bahh.

Two things I took from it.  First, McElwain has his hands full.  It'll take him a while to get the focus back on the team and away from individual glory.  Second,  Muschamp is not the guy to instill discipline in an AU defense that need that more than anything.  They've had talent, getting them to show it on the field has been the problem.  Muschamp can scheme, yes, but if Auburn makes stupid penalties, and plays for their own glory instead of the team good they'll collapse defensively at key times against the quality offenses they face.

scruf

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on August 23, 2015, 06:01:27 pm
QB isn't what has made LSU's offense tough to defend at times.  It has been rolling out eventual NFL wr's which they still have plus Fournette and a veteran oline.  Their defense hasn't just been Chavis.  Their defense has been great with defensive backs going back to when Saban was there that allowed them to do different things in the front 7 and dictate what happens with their secondary.  That talent in the secondary is still there.  I think LSU is being underestimated. 
No team without a proven starter at QB in the Top 25 is being underestimated.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: scruf on August 23, 2015, 06:03:44 pm
No team without a proven starter at QB in the Top 25 is being underestimated.

I was referring to some in our fan base and not the top 25 voters who are giving LSU the benefit of the doubt. 

Danny J

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on August 23, 2015, 06:01:27 pm
Their D "as of late" has been Chavis. Saban's affect on LSU and their backfield is over a decade old. Just watch what happens over the next two years. Miles will be on the hot seat after this year. I think Chavis is one of the best coordinators in all of college football. I think he has been for a long time.

Capt. Hamm

WPS! A little respect! Woo Pig!

scruf

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on August 23, 2015, 06:05:02 pm
I was referring to some in our fan base and not the top 25 voters who are giving LSU the benefit of the doubt. 
Arkansas will stack the box and play press man and beat LSU in Baton Rouge this year. Outsiders will see it as an upset but the Hogs are the better team.

tophawg19

again the big ten is a cake walk . only 3 in the top 30 . 5 in the top 40 , we face 6 in the west in the top 27 . Pac 12 looking respectable as is the big 12 although the bottom half of both conferences are crappy . Baylor and TCU have kicked texas and oklahoma down the ladder and to the curb. texas and michigan have become jokes . only getting votes from homers ,
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Danny J on August 23, 2015, 06:07:26 pm
Their D "as of late" has been Chavis. Saban's affect on LSU and their backfield is over a decade old. Just watch what happens over the next two years. Miles will be on the hot seat after this year. I think Chavis is one of the best coordinators in all of college football. I think he has been for a long time.

We'll see.  Having DBs who can cover and tackle as well as theirs have and probably still will gives a DC a lot of options.  It is why they have been more successful recently than Bama in defending spread offenses.  They have more versatility and athletes defensively especially in the back end.  Saban and Bama has been more about being physical defensively on the back end.  This is where it has changed since Saban.  There may be a drop off but there is still a lot to work with at LSU. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: scruf on August 23, 2015, 06:10:59 pm
Arkansas will stack the box and play press man and beat LSU in Baton Rouge this year. Outsiders will see it as an upset but the Hogs are the better team.

Maybe so.  I think LSU loses a few this season and it is why I think they finish 3rd or so in the West.  We'll see what condition each team is in by the time this game gets here. 

Danny J

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on August 23, 2015, 06:20:02 pm
We'll see.  Having DBs who can cover and tackle as well as theirs have and probably still will gives a DC a lot of options.  It is why they have been more successful recently than Bama in defending spread offenses.  They have more versatility and athletes defensively especially in the back end.  Saban and Bama has been more about being physical defensively on the back end.  This is where it has changed since Saban.  There may be a drop off but there is still a lot to work with at LSU.
Yes...having the players is very important and one of the main reasons those players stay in state and come from other areas as well was Saban and then Chavis. I am not saying they were the only reasons but one of the biggest ones. Then comes scheme and the ability of a coordinator to get his players in and out of the right D and some of that happens during the game but a lot of it is done through prep. Chavis is gone. I think aTm made a very smart move. I hate the Aggies but got to give them credit here.

Miles will be on the hot seat after this year.....mark it down.

rljjr

There is a strong possibility ASU could curb stomp the Aggies unless that defense is dramatically improved.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Danny J on August 23, 2015, 06:24:34 pm
Yes...having the players is very important and one of the main reasons those players stay in state and come from other areas as well was Saban and then Chavis. I am not saying they were the only reasons but one of the biggest ones. Then comes scheme and the ability of a coordinator to get his players in and out of the right D and some of that happens during the game but a lot of it is done through prep. Chavis is gone. I think aTm made a very smart move. I hate the Aggies but got to give them credit here.

Miles will be on the hot seat after this year.....mark it down.

If nothing else, it is good for A&M because they couldn't beat Chavis with LSU's defensive players.  And Miles may be.  Again, I think they will lose a few this season.  But they are also going to be a tough out most weeks.  AU has not won in BR in years.  They get A&M in BR.  They always play Bama tough.