Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dish Network to lose KATV 7

Started by rhog1, August 14, 2015, 03:53:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: 1highhog on August 15, 2015, 06:44:49 pm
All I can say to guys like you is I'd hate to know how much above sticker price you pay for your cars and trucks, I've been with Dish Network since their inception and I pay 24.99 plus tax a month and have been for the last 4 years.  I get their top package plus HBO, Showtime, Max, Starz, Encore, TMC, Western Station all included.  That would cost well over $100 plus I've not missed a Razorback game yet.  Still, Dish and Direct TV are going to be out of business soon in the very next few years, you can get anything you want now off the Internet free including movies before they're released to the big screen by at least a couple of weeks now.  and it's all free and there is nothing that can be done about it.

I doubt they go out of business. Since they have been in business so long now their infrastructure is probably paid for except regular ongoing expenses. They will find a way to lower their price and still keep their margins. The best way I see them doing that is find some way to give at least some resemblance of "ala carte".
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

grayhawg

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on August 15, 2015, 08:48:24 pm
My problem with Dish (had it for 6 years) is that you have to watch them constantly. They will randomly keep jacking up the bill until you call them out on it.  If you threatened to leave they will offer to cut it back substantially but only for a few months. This gets old and makes it appear their business model is to see how far they can push it. Direct TV probably does the same but I'm going with cable for a year promotional in hopes afterwards the world of streaming will be at a point I can cut the cable cord completely.
Sounds just like what Cox Cable does after you have been with them for a few years.

rhog1

http://seekingalpha.com/news/2730886-dish-sinclair-avoid-blackout-with-contract-extension#email_lin
Like like a deal will be reached without us losing channels as they have agreed to a short extension to reach a deal.

1highhog

Quote from: sevenof400 on August 15, 2015, 07:04:16 pm
And just how did you pull this off?

Anyone can pull it off, you negotiate.  I will say it helps when you've been a customer for a long time, and don't switch back and forth.  But a few years ago I decided I was no longer going to keep a satellite service, I really didn't need one.  So I called Dish up and told them I wanted to have my service disconnected after nearly 18 years, I told them for what I was paying, it just wasn't worth paying that much for just about 10 channels, the ESPN Channels, the Fox Sports Network, local channels, history channels, and A&E.  I told them, you know as well as I the rest of the channels are nothing but crap, either religious or news channels.  So they start the wanting to negotiate, just like if you're at a car dealership, well, we'll give you 3 months of free HBO and lower your bill to $34.95 plus tax if you agree to sign up with us another two years.  I say nope, I'm through, I've made up my mind.  So they keep adding a few more things to no avail.

Soon I get their manager or whatever the hell he's called.  He can give me far  better deals and tells me I've been such a loyal customer for all these years that they do NOT like losing longtime customers and will try to do whatever they can to hold onto them, they ask about Direct TV.  I laugh, I tell them that yes, I've talked to Direct TV several times and they've never been able to match what I've had from Dish, I just am ready to quit, I tell them of the many people I've had sign up under Dish, he checks, he excuses himself.  I next find myself talking to a District or something manager, she tells me that whatever I want, she will try and do to keep me as a Dish Customer.  She then says, what if we give you our Top 120 plus package plus HBO, Showtime, Max, Starz, Encore, TMC, Western Station all included for $24.99 plus tax?  I said, well, if this includes my sports packages that I currently have and I can do this without signing  contact, I'll do it.  She put me on hold for a couple of minutes and then came back on and said, I tell you what, from today, we'll start this as the beginning of the year, she said and when the year is over, we'll revisit each other and see if you want to sign back up.  I laughed and told her, well if you're waiting on that you my as well cancel now because I'm not changing my mind.  So every year they call me and every year I tell them I'm ready to cancel still and I'm still not under a contract. 

SamBuckhart

Quote from: 1highhog on August 18, 2015, 09:31:57 pm
Anyone can pull it off, you negotiate.  I will say it helps when you've been a customer for a long time, and don't switch back and forth.  But a few years ago I decided I was no longer going to keep a satellite service, I really didn't need one.  So I called Dish up and told them I wanted to have my service disconnected after nearly 18 years, I told them for what I was paying, it just wasn't worth paying that much for just about 10 channels, the ESPN Channels, the Fox Sports Network, local channels, history channels, and A&E.  I told them, you know as well as I the rest of the channels are nothing but crap, either religious or news channels.  So they start the wanting to negotiate, just like if you're at a car dealership, well, we'll give you 3 months of free HBO and lower your bill to $34.95 plus tax if you agree to sign up with us another two years.  I say nope, I'm through, I've made up my mind.  So they keep adding a few more things to no avail.

Soon I get their manager or whatever the hell he's called.  He can give me far  better deals and tells me I've been such a loyal customer for all these years that they do NOT like losing longtime customers and will try to do whatever they can to hold onto them, they ask about Direct TV.  I laugh, I tell them that yes, I've talked to Direct TV several times and they've never been able to match what I've had from Dish, I just am ready to quit, I tell them of the many people I've had sign up under Dish, he checks, he excuses himself.  I next find myself talking to a District or something manager, she tells me that whatever I want, she will try and do to keep me as a Dish Customer.  She then says, what if we give you our Top 120 plus package plus HBO, Showtime, Max, Starz, Encore, TMC, Western Station all included for $24.99 plus tax?  I said, well, if this includes my sports packages that I currently have and I can do this without signing  contact, I'll do it.  She put me on hold for a couple of minutes and then came back on and said, I tell you what, from today, we'll start this as the beginning of the year, she said and when the year is over, we'll revisit each other and see if you want to sign back up.  I laughed and told her, well if you're waiting on that you my as well cancel now because I'm not changing my mind.  So every year they call me and every year I tell them I'm ready to cancel still and I'm still not under a contract. 
No way would I switch to Direct. Heard too many horror stories. I will remember this, sir. Thank you. Wooo Pig!
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

Calling All Hogs

I changed over to cable (Fidelity in Bryant) Friday and I am amazed at how much better it is than Dish. The picture quality is better on all channels and the local channels are in real HD, not standard or less like Dish. No rain outages and no shutoff after a couple of hours. I am also getting a year long promotion that gives me 100 mg internet which is nice. 

Hog N Bama

I negotiate with UVerse every year and just flat out tell them I am NOT going to pay their rate, that I can get better elsewhere. They always cave and lower my cell,TV, internet bundle by over $100/month. You have to call their bluff. I like UVerse. Very reliable.

1highhog

Quote from: SamBuckhart on August 18, 2015, 09:42:51 pm
No way would I switch to Direct. Heard too many horror stories. I will remember this, sir. Thank you. Wooo Pig!

It'll work, I promise you.  Especially for the longer you've been a customer.

rhog1

August 25, 2015, 05:05:35 pm #58 Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 08:40:08 am by rhog1
Katv is now gone from Dish network. Hopefully it doesn't last too long.

SamBuckhart

They should sub until agreement reached.
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

Wild Bill Hog

HogFansReunited

Why so much hate for DISH?  I had Direct TV and their prices were outrageous, before that I had cable and the service was crap.  I finally got DISH and the only complaint I have is I can't bundle my internet with it.  I could but they were upfront with me and told me that their internet service wouldn't be good for me.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

HogFansReunited

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on August 16, 2015, 12:51:14 am
Switching back to Dish once my Directv contract is up.  DishDVR "The Hopper"  has 1 Terrabyte of space and you also get a 2yr pricelock.  Their new guide just updated recently is much better than Directv.

My wife says she can't count how many time the UVERSE bundle price changed each month without altering subscription. Not even going to discuss Bright house Cable :(   Was thinking of giving Fios a shot but no-one can give a personal review.

I had Fios when I lived in LA and it was great but the price was very high.  I don't know if their prices have come down or not though cause they don't have service where I live now.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Member #3568

WorfHog

Calling All Hogs

Quote from: HogFansReunited on August 26, 2015, 09:29:27 am
Why so much hate for DISH?  I had Direct TV and their prices were outrageous, before that I had cable and the service was crap.  I finally got DISH and the only complaint I have is I can't bundle my internet with it.  I could but they were upfront with me and told me that their internet service wouldn't be good for me.
I went to Dish in 2008 because my cable service was bad. At least in my area, cable service is much better now and it has far surpassed Dish. Dish was right about their internet service. All satellite based internet is barely a step above dial up. Under something called the Fair Usage Act, they limit the amount of daily usage which makes watching streaming video (including youtube) difficult for more than a few minutes.

hogsanity

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on August 26, 2015, 11:03:59 am
I went to Dish in 2008 because my cable service was bad. At least in my area, cable service is much better now and it has far surpassed Dish. Dish was right about their internet service. All satellite based internet is barely a step above dial up. Under something called the Fair Usage Act, they limit the amount of daily usage which makes watching streaming video (including youtube) difficult for more than a few minutes.

I had Dish from 99-2010 had uverse from then until last week, now I have Cox. All had pros and cons. Dish had rain fade and no internet ( at least any good internet ). Uverse had really good dvr  interface, but low storage capacity and while they did have internet, the max speed in my area was 18 mbps download ( they do have 45 in some areas ). Good channel packages too. While I have only had Cox for a week at home, had it in my office for years but nothing above basic, the dvr is a little more cumbersome to use, but it has 2 terabyte of storage, and their internet has 150 download 20 upload ( which my 17 yr old says is great ).  As far as price, when you figure it all in, all 3 services are close to the same price for what I get. I did get 2 years "free" Hbo/Showtime and a 2 yr price lock with Cox.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

tbhogfan

Quote from: rhog1 on August 25, 2015, 05:05:35 pm
Katv is now gone from Dish network. Hopefully it doesn't last too long.
Get an indoor OTA antenna.  You don't need anything great (mine was about $20 at walmart), and you can watch KATV until they get the contract worked out.    I also use mine when the weather gets bad and DirectTv goes bye-bye.
Go Hogs!

fishes2000

Direct Tv was just bought by AT&T. http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2015/07/24/fcc-approves-ts-acquisition-directv/30626421/  Wonder what will happen to those people now. Will AT&T try to run cable to get those people on u-verse? If you live in a city and have direct have to switch to uverse. I have comcast for tv and internet and while the cost is high I like my service.

hogsanity

Quote from: fishes2000 on August 26, 2015, 01:48:23 pm
Direct Tv was just bought by AT&T. http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2015/07/24/fcc-approves-ts-acquisition-directv/30626421/  Wonder what will happen to those people now. Will AT&T try to run cable to get those people on u-verse? If you live in a city and have direct have to switch to uverse. I have comcast for tv and internet and while the cost is high I like my service.

Doubt it. Most likely they will use their increased share to leverage better prices from the programmers like ESPN, etc when the contract come up for renewal. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

GuvHog

Quote from: fishes2000 on August 26, 2015, 01:48:23 pm

The article specifically states that nothing will change for Directv customers or U-verse customers.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

HogFansReunited

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on August 26, 2015, 11:03:59 am

I disagree with you about cable being better.  I know each provider is different but in my area the cable provider is horrible and the price is outrageous.

Member #3568

hogsanity

Quote from: HogFansReunited on August 26, 2015, 02:47:32 pm
I disagree with you about cable being better.  I know each provider is different but in my area the cable provider is horrible and the price is outrageous.

Why is it outrageous for something available 24/7/365? I always get a kick out people claiming their cable is outrageous.

Augustus

Jason Pederson (sp) just announced that Dish and Sinclair (KATV) just came to terms, should be back on DISH "soon"

Danny J

Its funny....I was reading this thread and thought to myself about how slow one of my Directv DVR's are in comparison to some others in my house. So I called Directv and told them I wanted a new one. My contract is up in Sept so I told them if they don't give me a new one I am switching to Dish. So I got the new receiver, 3 months free movie(all) channels and NFL sunday ticket for free all season. Also they dropped my bill from $125 monthly to $115.

Thanks op!

sigpooie

Greedy Sinclair, wants some channel they might buy on dish's list. And dish is already catching hell over having too many crappy channels like this.  Sinclair should be found guilty of breaking fcc regs.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! Hunter "my buddy" Thompson

Eddie Goodson

The SEC network and ESPN family stations pretty much make not having KATV irrelevant to me. Living in a boarder county, I have had to do without it for years. I get to see more Hogs sports than ever now.
"I already won the lottery. I was born in the US of A, baby. And as backup, I have a Swiss passport." — Creed Bratton

rhames

Switching to direct today

Never had a problem with dish. Just got internet and the company offered a sweet deal through direct tv that was too awesome to pass up

Internet and dish was going to cost me 180 a month but now with direct it will be 89 dollars a month for two years.

4k genies in every room. Free movie channels and nfl Sunday ticket.

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

hogsanity

Quote from: sigpooie on August 27, 2015, 07:36:51 am
Greedy Sinclair, wants some channel they might buy on dish's list. And dish is already catching hell over having too many crappy channels like this.  Sinclair should be found guilty of breaking fcc regs.

Yes, but 99% of people will complain about Dish costing too much. Most people do not take into account what the programmers charge. In this case requiring Dish to add another pretty much worthless ( to most people ) channel, plus pay for KATV as well.

k.c.hawg

Quote from: sigpooie on August 27, 2015, 07:36:51 am

In that case I guess ESPN should too. How do you think they got ESPNU into so many homes, and SEC Network into areas of the country where most consumers could care less. Ultimately landing Longhorn Network on DirecTV as a package deal with SEC Network. It is leveraging your power. Dish could just say hell no.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

rhog1

Quote from: k.c.hawg on August 27, 2015, 08:37:04 am
In that case I guess ESPN should too. How do you think they got ESPNU into so many homes, and SEC Network into areas of the country where most consumers could care less. Ultimately landing Longhorn Network on DirecTV as a package deal with SEC Network. It is leveraging your power. Dish could just say hell no.
From the way I understand it, Sinclair was trying to negotiate with Dish over the price of a channel that they don't own yet. When Dish called them out on it Sinclair pulled their stations. It is why the FCC which usually doesn't get involved was willing to get involved in this case.

NaturalStateReb

I have Dish pay-as-you-go service and the Tailgater satellite setup for tailgating and camping.  I love it, got HD and SEC Network for about $65/month when it's activated (you can get service one month at a time, which is great since I've got cable at home).  Highly recommend.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.