Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dish Network to lose KATV 7

Started by rhog1, August 14, 2015, 03:53:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rhog1

Per the KATV facebook page we will lose channel 7 Saturday. Due to Dish and Sinclair Broadcast Group disputing. Sucks with the start of football season so close, hopefully a deal is reached quickly.

rhames

They will  reach an agreement 

Always do
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

rhog1

Quote from: rhames on August 14, 2015, 04:09:01 pm
They will  reach an agreement 

Always do
True but the last Dispute they had with the Turner networks lasted over a month before a deal was reached. Hopefully a deal is reached before we actually lose channels this time. 

Hog N Bama

I wouldn't give you 50 cents for DISH.

GuvHog

Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

rhames

Also no games are on channel 7 anymore

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.

rhames

Quote from: rhog1 on August 14, 2015, 04:13:13 pm
True but the last Dispute they had with the Turner networks lasted over a month before a deal was reached. Hopefully a deal is reached before we actually lose channels this time. 

I'm going to say turner broadcasting has a more pull and bargaining power than Sinclair. I want to say the same thing happened with direct tv last year and they got a deal worked out on time.

Worst case just use an antenna.

Calling All Hogs

I cancelled Dish today unrelated to this. They know their days are numbered as internet streaming will overtake them. They had been charging me $108 per month but offered to lower it to $50 per month if I would stay for the exact same service. If you want Channel 7 and live in Central Arkansas buy a $20 antenna. The quality is 10 times better than what Dish provides on local channels.

grayhawg

Wow, I dropped COX a few months ago and tried Direct TV and hated it so much I paid my way out and switched to dish and love it.

Fanofthegame

I have direct, I have had it for about 2 years. I hate it. I will go back to dish as soon as I get time to have them come out and change it.
"He may not be in a class by himself, but it don't take long to call roll"

Augustus

Quote from: Fanofthegame on August 14, 2015, 10:22:47 pm
I have direct, I have had it for about 2 years. I hate it. I will go back to dish as soon as I get time to have them come out and change it.

Quote from: grayhawg on August 14, 2015, 09:46:25 pm
Wow, I dropped COX a few months ago and tried Direct TV and hated it so much I paid my way out and switched to dish and love it.

Guys - out of curiosity, why did y'all not like DirecTV?

And, Fan?  why do you like Dish better than DirecTV?

I only ask because I'm on the verge of moving from Direct to Dish, but solely based on pricing.  A year ago, I cut my package back to drop my bill from $150/month down to $120/month.  DirecTV has slowly but steadily increased my current package pricing (no new service), every few months, that now I'm back up to $150.

I've had both Dish and Direct over the last 15 years.  Direct for the last 8 years.  But they both seemed kind of the same?

Just curious why you think Dish is better? (that may help me pull the trigger on getting Dish)

Hog N Bama

One huge annoyance with DISH... The volume button on the remote set the smoke alarm off  >:(

FBREW000

Quote from: Hog N Bama on August 14, 2015, 11:19:00 pm
One huge annoyance with DISH... The volume button on the remote set the smoke alarm off  >:(
LOL, I am sorry, but that was just funny!  WOW

RefineryHog

Ive had DTV for probably 10 years. Just switched to dish bc Its bundled with my internet. The only real difference I see in it is dish's software is 10x faster. You can zip through the channels faster which is nice.

RedRock

If Dish drops KATV, does that mean they've breached their contract with customers? After all, the contract signing was based on the channel offering.

grayhawg

Quote from: Augustus on August 14, 2015, 10:32:58 pm

I only ask because I'm on the verge of moving from Direct to Dish, but solely based on pricing.  A year ago, I cut my package back to drop my bill from $150/month down to $120/month.  DirecTV has slowly but steadily increased my current package pricing (no new service), every few months, that now I'm back up to $150.

I've had both Dish and Direct over the last 15 years.  Direct for the last 8 years.  But they both seemed kind of the same?

Just curious why you think Dish is better? (that may help me pull the trigger on getting Dish)

Programming for one and HD was not as good as Cox and the programming guide was slow. My neighbor had just got Dish and I noticed the difference while visiting him.
I would rate Dish #1, Cox cable #2 then Direct TV.

cc

I like Dish pricing better than Directv.  And the slowness of my remote and delays in changing channels, etc on Directv like another poster mentioned got old quick.

Theolesnort

Quote from: Fanofthegame on August 14, 2015, 10:22:47 pm
Yep been there done that. Guv and some others must have had some bad local service way back when from Dish if they think Direct is better, especially when you count the monetary cost where Direct in many cases is much higher in cost. Still though Dish is to expensive and to have to pay for all the junk channels just to receive the few channels you really want is disgusting. Streaming seems to be the wave of the future.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

longtimeHogfan

Quote from: Hog N Bama on August 14, 2015, 04:15:33 pm

No problems with Dish in Bella Vista.  When I signed up they told me they'd let me out of my contract if Dish didn't carry the SECN.  They didn't have to 'cause they did.  I'm happy with Dish.  Probably would be just as happy with DirectTV, but Dish had a local storefront business and that swayed us. 
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

rhames

Direct vs dish is the Pepsi vs coke or Chevy vs ford argument

Fanofthegame

Quote from: Augustus on August 14, 2015, 10:32:58 pm

I know its just a preference, I don't think there is a right or wrong answer. My story is: I had dish for around 15 years, it really isn't anything big lots of little small things that make me want to change. For instance, after 2 years I sometimes still need to turn the light on to do something with the remote. The equipment is SSSSSSLLLLLLOOOOOOWWWWWW! For instance, I may hit the "skip forward" button 4 times, sit there sit there sit there, nothing, hit it 4 more times and BAM it goes 8. I may hit the "11" wait wait wait hit "11' again and BAM it tries go to "1111". It drives me crazy.
"He may not be in a class by himself, but it don't take long to call roll"

rhog1

http://about.dish.com/document-library/verified-retransmission-complaint-dish-network-llc-against-sinclair
We're asking the FCC to act on behalf of consumers to bring Sinclair back in line with the law," said Jeff Blum, DISH senior vice president and deputy general counsel. "Sinclair's 'take-it-or-leave-it' posture is in direct violation of federal regulations - they have offered a single path and are threatening that any deviation from that path will lead to a consumer blackout."

Part of Dish's complaint to the FCC. Looks like the fight is going to get ugly.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on August 14, 2015, 09:31:35 pm
I cancelled Dish today unrelated to this. They know their days are numbered as internet streaming will overtake them. They had been charging me $108 per month but offered to lower it to $50 per month if I would stay for the exact same service. If you want Channel 7 and live in Central Arkansas buy a $20 antenna. The quality is 10 times better than what Dish provides on local channels.

We cut the cord with Uverse a couple of weeks ago. We don't miss it at all! Was given one of the small over the air antennas and we receive ALL the standard networks PLUS a few more that are dual broadcast from them. We also already had netflix for movies which is cheap. We have a first-generation Google TV box and we plan to get Sling for $25 with no contract. Even if the older Google TV box will network with Sling then we simply will get Roku or similar. Streaming IS the future and the future is now. I know a LOT of younger folks that never had some sort of TV pay subscription service. Cables and satellite TV companies better get the prices right or they will lose a LOT of customers. If anyone questions whether or not they will get a strong signal over the air then there is a website out there that will show you what you can get or at least how far away you are from the networks transmitter. So what we used to watch that we paid over $120 for we now can get for around $35 and thats assuming we keep sling year round which we might not do.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

atekido

The TV industry is fixing to become very fractured.  it has been happening for several years as streaming has become more and more prevalent and with the FCC started to force broadcast companies hands and making it easier for smaller companies to get streamed and shown on tv, computers ect ect.   ESPN/Disney has already been impacted by this as had all the major networks.

razorbacker3

Channel 7 is still on today. I love Dish having had it for almost twenty years. Great service . No complaints, and that is amazing for me.

razorbacker3

The problem with streaming services is the amount of data. In a household with several devices being used constantly, you'll use 5-10 gigs of data a day, and that can get real expensive. We have a data package providing 50 gigs a month. When our grandson was here streaming movies, we would run out of data in less that 2 weeks. Since he left, we had 70% left at the end of the month and we did nothing different.

lefty08

I had dish for close to 10 years, but when my equipment started messing up, they refused to replace it. I went to Directv and ill never go back to dish.

looks like im pretty much alone on this sentiment though
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

grayhawg

Quote from: lefty08 on August 15, 2015, 10:17:15 am
I had dish for close to 10 years, but when my equipment started messing up, they refused to replace it. I went to Directv and ill never go back to dish.

Equipment policy is pretty much the same for both companies.

lefty08

Quote from: grayhawg on August 15, 2015, 10:23:20 am
Equipment policy is pretty much the same for both companies.

While that may be true, Directv was out to my place last month to replace a cable that was messing up my signal. no charge, i wouldnt have gotten dish to do that.

Most of it probably depends on service in your area, but in Hot Springs, where i live, Dish doesnt stack up
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

TDHawgs

I'm thinking about going back to DirecTV soon, simply because my contract is up with Dish and I can get the promotional deal with them again. Free Sunday Ticket, equipment, etc.. Basically the only way to win is switching every two years.. lol

GuvHog

Quote from: lefty08 on August 15, 2015, 10:17:15 am

No, you're not alone. My brother (who lives next door) has Dish but he doesn't get as many channels as I do with Directv for basically the same price. The Directv channel guide is much better than Dish's guide too.

rhog1

Quote from: razorbacker3 on August 15, 2015, 10:09:02 am
Channel 7 is still on today. I love Dish having had it for almost twenty years. Great service . No complaints, and that is amazing for me.
It is set to go off tonight unless a deal is reached.

Rocky&Boarwinkle

Here is the problem for many of us that live in very rural areas.  Frequently the streaming speed and availability is very poor and the pricing for internet streaming is just as cost prohibitive as a dish (Dish or Direct).  But if I lived in a place with cheap reliable internet streaming, Direct would be dropped like a hot potato.  My biggest complaint is what some of you have said about the price creep with no new programming or even less for more money.

Hogfan1660

I had direct TV for 4 years and liked it Ok. I switched to dish about 7 years ago and love it.

OLDHOG

I have u-verse from ATT. I have no complaints other than price, about 120 a month, but it hardly ever goes out unlike the satellites in the weather. 

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

GuvHog

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on August 14, 2015, 09:31:35 pm

I disagree. I believe cable TV will cease to exist but not Satellite TV. They'll make it well worth while for Networks like ESPN to stay with them.

razorbacker3

Quote from: lefty08 on August 15, 2015, 10:26:23 am

While that may be true, Directv was out to my place last month to replace a cable that was messing up my signal. no charge, i wouldnt have gotten dish to do that.

Most of it probably depends on service in your area, but in Hot Springs, where i live, Dish doesnt stack up
Dish has replaced 2 receivers, and I have had them adjust the dish several times, and they have been jonny on the spot every time. Came out on a Saturday morning so I wouldn't miss any games. Couldn't ask for better customer service. I did have to threaten to switch to direct, once, about 12 yrs ago when I got a smart azz cs rep. Don't think he kept his job though.

TomasPistola

Had dish for 10 years plus. Still would if I hadn't bought a house in the woods. Now I have to deal with Comcast. Oh boy!
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

Pigasaurus

The Dish Remote App is what I really like.  Watch anything I can at home including DVR stuff on my devices.
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

Hog N Bama

Quote from: TomasPistola on August 15, 2015, 03:56:45 pm
Had dish for 10 years plus. Still would if I hadn't bought a house in the woods. Now I have to deal with Comcast. Oh boy!
Oh man. Comcast is really bad customer service at all levels.

wupigsuey

I like the way Direct has like channels together. Thats about the only difference I see in the two
A Hogville member since July 24, 2004<br /><br />The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes, <br />the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

sigpooie

At least we won't have to listen to ned talk about weather in kansas or the history of temps for the past five days in twenty towns that  i really dont care what even the current temp is.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! Hunter "my buddy" Thompson

1highhog

August 15, 2015, 06:44:49 pm #44 Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 06:58:20 pm by 1highhog

All I can say to guys like you is I'd hate to know how much above sticker price you pay for your cars and trucks, I've been with Dish Network since their inception and I pay 24.99 plus tax a month and have been for the last 4 years.  I get their top package plus HBO, Showtime, Max, Starz, Encore, TMC, Western Station all included.  That would cost well over $100 plus I've not missed a Razorback game yet.  Still, Dish and Direct TV are going to be out of business soon in the very next few years, you can get anything you want now off the Internet free including movies before they're released to the big screen by at least a couple of weeks now.  and it's all free and there is nothing that can be done about it.

younghog

I LOVE dish..

direct is overpriced and over-rated
GO HOGS

hogsanity

every provider has these kind of disputes with programmers from time to time, so dropping one because of that is crazy. Last year uverse had a dispute with our local abc affil, year before that it was the cbs affil.  They always get worked out.

I had dish for 10 years, never had a problem, went with uverse when we moved 5 years ago because I wanted to bundle everything. Never had a problem with uverse, but going to cox next week because i can gea  2 yr price lock, free hd, and 150mbps speed on the internet when uverse top was 18 and hd cost $10 per month.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Calling All Hogs

My problem with Dish (had it for 6 years) is that you have to watch them constantly. They will randomly keep jacking up the bill until you call them out on it.  If you threatened to leave they will offer to cut it back substantially but only for a few months. This gets old and makes it appear their business model is to see how far they can push it. Direct TV probably does the same but I'm going with cable for a year promotional in hopes afterwards the world of streaming will be at a point I can cut the cable cord completely.

The_Bionic_Pig

Switching back to Dish once my Directv contract is up.  DishDVR "The Hopper"  has 1 Terrabyte of space and you also get a 2yr pricelock.  Their new guide just updated recently is much better than Directv.

My wife says she can't count how many time the UVERSE bundle price changed each month without altering subscription. Not even going to discuss Bright house Cable :(   Was thinking of giving Fios a shot but no-one can give a personal review.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Augustus

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on August 15, 2015, 08:48:24 pm
My problem with Dish (had it for 6 years) is that you have to watch them constantly. They will randomly keep jacking up the bill until you call them out on it.  If you threatened to leave they will offer to cut it back substantially but only for a few months. This gets old and makes it appear their business model is to see how far they can push it. Direct TV probably does the same but I'm going with cable for a year promotional in hopes afterwards the world of streaming will be at a point I can cut the cable cord completely.

This is exactly what Direct has been doing to me. A year ago, I cut my packages/movie channels to get my bill down, and they have jacked up the price on incremental basis to the point that I'm paying just as much as I was for LESS channels!

Bastages.