Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Van Horn: Blaine Knight could turn down pros, return

Started by jbcarol, June 09, 2017, 12:17:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Hawgphish

I would be very surprised if he returns.  Sure would be nice though.

NoogaHog

I would love to see him back. I love how demonstrative and emotional he is. He is fun to watch on the mound.
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

woodrow hog call

Quote from: NoogaHog on June 09, 2017, 01:16:21 pm
I would love to see him back. I love how demonstrative and emotional he is. He is fun to watch on the mound.

To me that is one of the biggest things he would need to work on if he came back, you can't let your emotions show that much, the other team will feed on that and at times it can take away from your focus. When I was going through the awesome photos that Mr Stephan had posted I started thinking about how great it would be if Blaine stayed here this summer, worked on his body (gained weight) and came back next year as the top pitcher in the SEC.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

PigWig

Talked to several scouts about Knight this year. The consensus is he would make himself a lot of money if he came back for his junior year and put on 15-20 lbs. Stamina is the concern, not his stuff, and if he filled out a little bit and put together another solid season, I think he would be a guaranteed first round pick next year.

jry04

I have been saying for weeks this very thing. Him being gone is not a done deal. If he is set on leaving, which it doesn't soundd like he is, then that is one thing.  If he wants to maximize his earnings then returning is the best. He will not lose leverage, can take out insurance, and go from a late 2nd or early 3rd to a 1st rounder which would net him over $1million. Even just going from late 2nd to earpy 2nd is a big jump. When ir is so difficult to get to the MLB, it is important to make as big of a signing bonus as you can.

Bonfield and Knight returning could be the difference in being a borderline host to a national seed and title contender.

ThisTeetsTaken

DVH said some SEC coaches told him that Knight needed to come back next year. 
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

jm

A player should never return if he is drafted high enough to meet his objectives. There is no guarantee against injury, having a tough season and falling in the draft, or simply being over taken by a younger player.
Picking baseball players is like picking a wife; if all else is equal choose the younger of the two.

thebignasty

Can't say it would hurt my feelings to see him on the bump for us next year.

Dr. Starcs

WhenPigsFly

gdumont

Maddhog

I wouldn't be shocked if he returned.  His frame could sure use some meat on it. 
"He hits from both sides of the plate.  He's amphibious."

SPAL

Don't get your hopes up. Things most certainly could have changed since April, but I'm not counting on him being back. I would love to be wrong here.

yraciv

I'll believe it when I see it. It's hard to turn down that guaranteed money whoever drafts him will throw at there, which should certainly be well over slot.

PigWig

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on June 09, 2017, 02:58:56 pm
What about Stephan? 

Could we get that lucky?
Totally different situation as Stephan would lose his leverage for contract negotiations if he came back. The reason it makes sense for Knight is because he's a sophomore with a lot to gain by just coming back and adding some weight.

Hogs49ers

DVH basically said he is fairly confident he will be back based on what Knight and his family have told him plus some reasons that he couldn't say in the interview setting (?).

That makes me feel pretty good about that, because I would like to think that a Coach (especially DVH) would not yell that out in an interview unless he was pretty confident about the matter.
SCREW Vandy!

Hogs49ers

When will we know for sure that he would be coming back or not?  How long after they get picked do they need to let a team know if they will sign?
SCREW Vandy!

thebignasty

Quote from: Hogs49ers on June 09, 2017, 06:35:35 pm
DVH basically said he is fairly confident he will be back based on what Knight and his family have told him plus some reasons that he couldn't say in the interview setting (?).

That makes me feel pretty good about that, because I would like to think that a Coach (especially DVH) would not yell that out in an interview unless he was pretty confident about the matter.

Would be huge.  Not going to cross my fingers lol

Hogs49ers

He also said he felt pretty confident and that he thinks they got pretty lucky with the 2018 recruiting class - thinking most of them will make it to campus (he mentioned Rutledge by name as one of the ones he expects on campus - ranked 170ish prospect right now).
SCREW Vandy!

jry04

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on June 09, 2017, 05:53:49 pm
Don't get your hopes up. Things most certainly could have changed since April, but I'm not counting on him being back. I would love to be wrong here.
The one thing I will say is most of the season people were saying he is an early 2nd or potential 1st round pick. It would be a shock to those who follow the draft closely if Knight was any better than a mid-2nd round pick, realistically.  He will more than likely go in the 3rd if I had to guess. Maybe early the thought was he was leaving because of how early he would be drafted, and that is not actually going to happen.

Hogs49ers

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on June 09, 2017, 01:46:49 pm
DVH said some SEC coaches told him that Knight needed to come back next year.

I heard that too, but why the hell would any SEC coach suggest that and have to go up against Knight next year???
SCREW Vandy!

TebowHater

Quote from: Hogs49ers on June 09, 2017, 07:00:30 pm
I heard that too, but why the hell would any SEC coach suggest that and have to go up against Knight next year???

Baseball is a gentleman's game and for the most part the coaches within this league have tremendous respect for each other. The same reason DVH said he will be on the phone a couple times a week helping TV. The same reason DVH had been on the phone a couple times over the past several weeks advising Tennessee on coaches they were pursuing at the time.

Listen to Paul Mainieri talk about DVH. Or DVH about Serrano.

Hogs49ers

Quote from: TebowHater on June 09, 2017, 08:26:15 pm
Baseball is a gentleman's game and for the most part the coaches within this league have tremendous respect for each other. The same reason DVH said he will be on the phone a couple times a week helping TV. The same reason DVH had been on the phone a couple times over the past several weeks advising Tennessee on coaches they were pursuing at the time.

Listen to Paul Mainieri talk about DVH. Or DVH about Serrano.

That is pretty awesome.
SCREW Vandy!

ucahogfan

Who is the left handed hitting recruit that could play 2B, SS, or 3B next year that DVH was talking about in the PC?  Easton Murrell is probably the switch hitter while the right handed hitter could be numerous people.

Scott7703

I'll be shocked if knight returned and how do you blame him if he goes in the 2-3 round.

thebignasty

Kind of think Van Horn saying he thinks he returns raises a signability question with some clubs and might push him down some boards to protect slot money.

felixfan

It's all a money ploy. He doesn't care if he's drafted in the 30th round. It's all about the $$$$$$. 

boaron

Quote from: thebignasty on June 10, 2017, 03:02:59 pm
Kind of think Van Horn saying he thinks he returns raises a signability question with some clubs and might push him down some boards to protect slot money.

Signability was my thought as well. That can cause a player to drop significantly below their real value.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: thebignasty on June 10, 2017, 03:02:59 pm
Do I understand your post to mean that DVH is sandbagging one of his players?

ricepig

Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 11, 2017, 09:23:48 am

I was thinking the opposite, DVH is trying to get someone to pay for him. I know he would like him back, but if he helps Blaine get a better spot by saying a certain $ amount might lead him to come back, he hasn't hurt anyone. Now, I realize the club's and agent's have a number from discussing with the families, but we've seen that number not mean as much in the end, sometimes.

thebignasty

Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 11, 2017, 09:23:48 am

No I don't think Van Horn is sandbagging and if it's something he felt comfortable saying in public like that then I'd assume it's something the teams interested in Knight were already aware of.

.....if its even a take that's on to anything. Which it probably isn't. I was just spitballing.

BigBrandonAllenFan

i said two weeks ago that my work friend from Bryant who's grandson grew up playing baseball with Blaine said the family was discussing Blaine returning next year. She would not have said it if it wasnt true.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: PigWig on June 09, 2017, 01:37:02 pm
Talked to several scouts about Knight this year. The consensus is he would make himself a lot of money if he came back for his junior year and put on 15-20 lbs. Stamina is the concern, not his stuff, and if he filled out a little bit and put together another solid season, I think he would be a guaranteed first round pick next year.

This.

Plus gain his degree. Which actually matters to some plain ol' regular folks...Like with Alex Lange.

CJ HOG

In my mind he's already gone. That way when he comes back It'll be like....Dayunmmm, we just added an ACE to the rotation. What a get! Go Hogs!

tennesseehogwild

Do you guys think Van Horn would say that, knowing it could possibly hurt Knight's draft stock, unless he was optimistic Knight was coming back? What say ye?

bulldog04

Quote from: tennesseehogwild on June 11, 2017, 06:39:29 pm
Do you guys think Van Horn would say that, knowing it could possibly hurt Knight's draft stock, unless he was optimistic Knight was coming back? What say ye?
DVH is a straight shooter. He was asked a question and answered it the best he could like he always does. I don't believe there was hidden motives in what he said.

tennesseehogwild

Quote from: bulldog04 on June 11, 2017, 07:38:14 pm
DVH is a straight shooter. He was asked a question and answered it the best he could like he always does. I don't believe there was hidden motives in what he said.

Didn't intend to imply that at all.

jry04

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on June 11, 2017, 02:11:32 pm
This.

Plus gain his degree. Which actually matters to some plain ol' regular folks...Like with Alex Lange.
He is deciding between whether he wants to make $800k now or potentially $2+ million in a year. He isn't worried about his degree at the moment. He would likely have to come back for 2 more years to get his degree. If you are signing for over $2 million dollars you won't need a degree.

jbell96

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on June 11, 2017, 02:11:32 pm
This.

Jared Poche came back for his senior year. Alex Lange wasn't draft eligible last year, but he is this year, and will be entering.

woodrow hog call

Quote from: jry04 on June 12, 2017, 07:53:47 am
He is deciding between whether he wants to make $800k now or potentially $2+ million in a year. He isn't worried about his degree at the moment. He would likely have to come back for 2 more years to get his degree. If you are signing for over $2 million dollars you won't need a degree.

Another thing for him to consider is, the minor's vs Baum and the SEC. Basically he could still be called up to the majors at, or close to the same time frame, if all goes well in his development.

They are going to want the same thing from him whether it's in their system, or working out here with Wes, getting some good weight added and developing more as a complete pitcher.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

jry04

Quote from: woodrow hog call on June 12, 2017, 08:12:33 am
Another thing for him to consider is, the minor's vs Baum and the SEC. Basically he could still be called up to the majors at, or close to the same time frame, if all goes well in his development.

They are going to want the same thing from him whether it's in their system, or working out here with Wes, getting some good weight added and developing more as a complete pitcher.
Agreed. He will have less time to add that weight and develop in the minors since once he signs he will be playing a few weeks later. The offseason is coming up for him, but as a sophomore that seemed to battle some fatigue, it may benefit him more taking the summer off and staying in Fayetteville working out rather than jumping right into the minors and continuing to pitch for half the price he could demand next year. It will be interesting to see, but regardless there isn't a "wrong" choice here in my opinion. Whether he goes now or next year, he is still making a lot of money and playing professional baseball. It just sounds like depending on how this draft goes that there may be a better choice rather than a right and wrong choice.

PigWig

Quote from: jry04 on June 12, 2017, 07:53:47 am
Bingo

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: jbell96 on June 12, 2017, 08:07:29 am
Jared Poche came back for his senior year. Alex Lange wasn't draft eligible last year, but he is this year, and will be entering.

Ah. My bad. It was my thought that Lange was draft eligible last season.

SPAL

Potentially make 2 million.....

He could potentially be like other Razorback pitchers who have messed their arm up also and end up making nothing. It's a risk/reward and not as cut and dry as that.

jry04

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on June 12, 2017, 09:38:16 am
Potentially make 2 million.....

He could potentially be like other Razorback pitchers who have messed their arm up also and end up making nothing. It's a risk/reward and not as cut and dry as that.
I don't think anyone is saying it would be a bad decision to go. However, like DVH said, unless he just completely ruined his arm he is going to make the same amount next year as he would this year at a minimum because of the body of work he has. His example was Schmidt having Tommy John and still being a 1-2 round guy. The success rate of TJ surgery now days is much higher, plus he could take out a loss-of-value plan up to $5 million in baseball(obviously wouldn't need that much, but that is the max you can take out in baseball.) You rarely see a top 5 round draft pick get hurt coming back to school for one year and free fall in the draft. They still get drafted high because of their potential and the fear of TJ isn't what it used to be barring a freak accident. I definitely won't blame him either way, because he will do well for himself regardless.

PorkRyan

MLB teams are doing a better job each year of drafting guys that they know they can sign.  If Knight starts falling in the draft that is a good sign that his number is too high.  If he goes in the 2nd round he is gone.  There were only two guys in the first 10 rounds who didn't sign last year.

jry04

Quote from: PorkRyan on June 12, 2017, 10:10:38 am
MLB teams are doing a better job each year of drafting guys that they know they can sign.  If Knight starts falling in the draft that is a good sign that his number is too high.  If he goes in the 2nd round he is gone.  There were only two guys in the first 10 rounds who didn't sign last year.
No doubt. I would say if he goes in the top 3 rounds he is gone. There is a good chance a team with a 1st round pick drafts a kid that will sign under slot, and then can take a guy like Knight in the 3rd or 4th round asking for over-slot value and get him to sign for 2nd or 1st round money as a 3rd or 4th rounder.

Pig Papi

If teams don't sign a top 10 player they lose that slot money.  Teams will gamble outside the top 10 but not so much inside it.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Pig Papi on June 12, 2017, 10:20:41 am
If teams don't sign a top 10 player they lose that slot money.  Teams will gamble outside the top 10 but not so much inside it.

Top 10 overall or top 10 rounds?