Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Matt Jones in Overtime against NYJ

Started by Adam Stokes, September 25, 2005, 03:17:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam Stokes

Right now the Jags are in overtime vs. the Jets, Matt Jones has four catches for 31 yards.  Anyone disapointed with how he's started this year?  He's probably not even in consideration for the Rookie of the year the way Cadillac has been running over everybody.

Macgyver_Hawg

This has been an "up the middle" fest.

Leftwich hasn't been that good and they aren't trying to get Matt the ball as much as they should.
That last interception was all Leftwich.  Had he led Matt the game would have been over.

GrizzledHogFan

Quote from: ajs15razorman on September 25, 2005, 03:17:46 pm
Right now the Jags are in overtime vs. the Jets, Matt Jones has four catches for 31 yards. Anyone disapointed with how he's started this year? He's probably not even in consideration for the Rookie of the year the way Cadillac has been running over everybody.

I think Matt has done a fine job, considering that he's a rookie learning a new position, and that he doesn't get the ball all that often.  When he does get the ball, it's usually on a trick play (trick plays rarely work for any team), or on a short pass to the sidelines.  Either way, he doesn't get the ball in a very favorable situation.  Anyone who thought he was going to come into the NFL his first year and perform miracles was being unrealistic and unfair, in my opinion.
Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.

Buff

the playcallers are the only reason he's not performing miracles - unless he can make the ball appear out of thin air

razorback44

September 25, 2005, 04:50:12 pm #4 Last Edit: September 25, 2005, 05:11:14 pm by razorback44
Quote from: ajs15razorman on September 25, 2005, 03:17:46 pm
Right now the Jags are in overtime vs. the Jets, Matt Jones has four catches for 31 yards. Anyone disapointed with how he's started this year? He's probably not even in consideration for the Rookie of the year the way Cadillac has been running over everybody.

You might not be happy with his performance, but the announcers of the Jaguars games sure are.  It seemed like half the game was spent talking about Matt Jones.
"No force and no man can abolish memory"  FDR

Biggus Piggus

Who the crap would be disappointed in MJ?  He has exceeded expectations.
[CENSORED]!

Fletch

Maybe he would be doing better if Arkansas would have had an offensive coordinator when he was here. (sarcasm)
I feel like $100

lonehoggie

probably racism ,, Leftwich doesnt wanna give any glory to the very , very, talented white man....

Adam Stokes

Oh come off it.  It's simply because he's a rookie and the #3 receiver.  We know Jones is the number receiver on that team but he has to prove to Leftwich and the team.

PorcineSublime

Quote from: lonehoggie on September 26, 2005, 10:49:46 am
probably racism ,, Leftwich doesnt wanna give any glory to the very , very, talented white man....
Actually everything I have read says that Byron enjoys having a former QB to throw to. He even made a reference to a "slow black guy throwing to a fast white guy" and how that he has no problem with that. Matt isn't "the man" yet, but he is moving along as fast or faster than anticipated, and the team has no problems with him from what they are saying publicly anyway. Still think he will be a good NFL receiver if not great. Just takes time.

BTW did anyone see Matt's response on that int. He was kind of frozen for a second then realized what had happened. The guy had a five yard head start and he still got there just as the other guy tackled him, ten yards down field. Speed kills. He will do well.
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

lonehoggie

if Jones was a black guy on a prodominately white football team and he didnt get the ball much, The black people would be screaming racism.  So i figured I would reverse it lol.

Can't we all just get along
Rodney King                                                 :razorback:

ReturnToDynasty?

A blind man can see that Matt needs to get the ball!  He goes deep 1 time this year and has the corner BEAT and Bryon "What you talking bout Willis" Leftwich can't get Matt the ball.  Stupid.  Del Rio is clearly not committed to winning as evidenced by his decision to not get MJ the ball.   

John Futrall

Two words.....Jimmy Smith..

.Leftwich has his receivers (J.S. and that other guy, I think it was #11 or #21 or something close to that).  Give Matt and Byron some time...It'll work out

Matt WILL be a star in the NFL, but it will take TIME.....

LoHog

The Jags clearly are not using Jones the way he needs to be used. Even as a rookie he is better than Reggie Williams. And by the way can anybody tell me how HDN still has a job?

socalhogcaller

Watching the Jags game was like watching a Razorback team under HDN with a good defense.  They pounded the ball up the middle the whole day and every third down and long was a draw play...I nearly pulled my hair out.

MJ2

It's actuall time for Del Rio to step in and say "I'm doing what I need to do to win games and get this team to the Super Bowl.   As of today, you will see MJ used all over the field including QB.  If he's the best QB we've got, then Byron can learn to play receiver".

LoHog

I just think that MJ is better at this point than Reggie Williams.

BigPapaHawg

MJ is going to be a great receiver in the NFL, it's just going to take a little time. It just seems that leftwich has the confidence in the veteran Jimmy Smith at this point and MJ is doing his part, by taking away some of the double coverage Smith usually receives! MJ will eventually gain leftwich's confidence and get a lot more balls thrown his way and make the big plays we all know he can!
WOO PIG

Ben Steiger

The Jags are smart. Takin' it easy on MJ, and not trying to make him the white Randy Moss.
Si vis pacem, para bellum.