Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

...and there's your sign.

Started by gotyacovered, October 09, 2012, 04:13:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gotyacovered

i have had a couple funny things happen to me over the last few days that have displayed my over indulgence with flying...

i am in the car, just picked my kids from school, including my 7 year old daughter(Ellie), she is digging around in her lunch box for some left over Doritos and she says... "Dad... does the "E" on my lunch box stand for Echo or Ellie"

the other was in the form of a text message and my buddy and i are talking about a picture and he sent me via text and it was not directly related to the picture, but referred to it as pic... and it took a a few seconds to get my mind from pilot in command to picture...

...and finally... i got this for my bday...
You are what you tolerate.

GusMcRae

October 09, 2012, 04:36:28 pm #1 Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 04:39:52 pm by GusMcRae
Quote from: gotyacovered on October 09, 2012, 04:13:54 pm
i have had a couple funny things happen to me over the last few days that have displayed my over indulgence with flying...

i am in the car, just picked my kids from school, including my 7 year old daughter(Ellie), she is digging around in her lunch box for some left over Doritos and she says... "Dad... does the "E" on my lunch box stand for Echo or Ellie"

the other was in the form of a text message and my buddy and i are talking about a picture and he sent me via text and it was not directly related to the picture, but referred to it as pic... and it took a a few seconds to get my mind from pilot in command to picture...

...and finally... i got this for my bday...

Haha!  Very nice.

A young lady that is my middle son's classmate and friend (18, Srs in HS now) had been working on her PP immediately leading up to her Texas Driver's License exam a year or two ago.  So the story goes, the day she took her driving test, before she starts the car, she rolls the window down and says "clear prop".   :D
It ain't dieing I'm talking about Woodrow,,,, It's living!

Being a pilot isn't all seat-of-the-pants flying and glory. It's self- discipline, practice, study, analysis and preparation. It's precision. If you can't keep the gauges where you want them with everything free and easy, how can you keep them there when everything goes wrong?

gotyacovered

Quote from: GusMcRae on October 09, 2012, 04:36:28 pm
Haha!  Very nice.

A young lady that is my middle son's classmate and friend (18, Srs in HS now) had been working on her PP immediately leading up to her Texas Driver's License exam a year or two ago.  So the story goes, the day she took her driving test, before she starts the car, she rolls the window down and says "clear prop".   :D

haha... awesome.

i have been know to fumble around looking for the master switch in my car before...

we. are. crazy.

Flying Razorback

I can't think of the right words on the highway half the time.  The one that fumbles me the most is just the word "speed".  I always say "airspeed" accidentally.  Just the other day I wanted to know what the speed limit was for a stretch of road and so I asked the wife "What's the airspeed for this stretch?"  Or when she's driving "Watch your airspeed..."  At this point I've given up fumbling around for the right word and she figures out what I mean by airspeed.

Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

Flying Razorback

Oh, and the other I can't get past is every time I pull up to an intersection I say "Clear right" or "Clear left" since we're so ingrained to clear our turns prior to making them.
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

rnclittlerock

i have actually caught myself doing dangerous things in a car immediately after flying.

i don't know, maybe it's that you go out of your way to concentrate while flying, and not so much while driving, complacency.  or maybe it's just that it's ok to look away and do other things while flying and you have to remind yourself to pay attention more to the outside in a car. 

last time i landed and drove out of saline county i damn near clipped a cop car at the first red light.

gotyacovered

October 11, 2012, 11:58:13 am #6 Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 01:39:42 pm by gotyacovered
Quote from: rnclittlerock on October 11, 2012, 11:42:19 am
i have actually caught myself doing dangerous things in a car immediately after flying.

i don't know, maybe it's that you go out of your way to concentrate while flying, and not so much while driving, complacency.  or maybe it's just that it's ok to look away and do other things while flying and you have to remind yourself to pay attention more to the outside in a car. 

last time i landed and drove out of saline county i damn near clipped a cop car at the first red light.

LOL.... ya... totally understand.