Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

annual blues

Started by gotyacovered, April 05, 2012, 11:59:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

gotyacovered

i hate it for ya, but am curious now...

also... did you note the previous compression from the pre-buy?

completely out of curiosity, if it is determinable how far back or the cause, i wonder if the mx who did the pre-buy has any skin in the game.

there was a gentleman in Texarkana, a lawyer, who bought a BE55 from Florida. he had the pre-buy done and some week later there was corrosion and a busted wing spar, amongst a few other things. the mx who did the pre-buy had the privilege of fixing it - or i assume his insurance company did. (bet he doesnt work for lawyers anymore) ;D
You are what you tolerate.

GusMcRae

Quote from: gotyacovered on July 02, 2012, 03:55:12 pm
i hate it for ya, but am curious now...

also... did you note the previous compression from the pre-buy?

completely out of curiosity, if it is determinable how far back or the cause, i wonder if the mx who did the pre-buy has any skin in the game.

there was a gentleman in Texarkana, a lawyer, who bought a BE55 from Florida. he had the pre-buy done and some week later there was corrosion and a busted wing spar, amongst a few other things. the mx who did the pre-buy had the privilege of fixing it - or i assume his insurance company did. (bet he doesnt work for lawyers anymore) ;D

I'll have to look to see what #1 was exactly, but it was right there with the rest,,, mid 70s. 

At this point, 7 months and about 80 hours later, I wouldn't expect anyone to stand behind anything. 
I'm going back to that "fix, learn from it, move forward".
It ain't dieing I'm talking about Woodrow,,,, It's living!

Being a pilot isn't all seat-of-the-pants flying and glory. It's self- discipline, practice, study, analysis and preparation. It's precision. If you can't keep the gauges where you want them with everything free and easy, how can you keep them there when everything goes wrong?

GusMcRae

This is advice from a pilot friend of mine:
Sometimes those valves leak doing a compression check but not while running.  Depending on timing of when that engine was built, there was a rash of bad valve seats. I won't let anyone pull a cylinder until I have flown it for 1.5 hrs.  Then check it again.. You need to have the suspect cylinder borescoped.  You want it really hot when you check compressions.   
Read up on mike busch's Maintence tips on Internet.  He's the foremost authority on ga piston Maintence.  Savvy is his company.  There is tons of webinars on eaa website. 

Being a pilot isn't all seat-of-the-pants flying and glory. It's self- discipline, practice, study, analysis and preparation. It's precision. If you can't keep the gauges where you want them with everything free and easy, how can you keep them there when everything goes wrong?

GusMcRae

Looks like I'll be logging a few hours in the C-150. 
I enjoy flying it, but for xc, not ideal. 
Still beats driving.

GusMcRae

Not really any new news to post with the repairs, other than they are sending the piston off to El Reno, OK, today. 
I really needed it back together by 7-13,,, need to go to Longview.  Not looking very likely.

gotyacovered

Quote from: GusMcRae on July 05, 2012, 01:38:43 pm
Not really any new news to post with the repairs, other than they are sending the piston off to El Reno, OK, today. 
I really needed it back together by 7-13,,, need to go to Longview.  Not looking very likely.

that'll be fun in the C150 ;D

GusMcRae

Update. A Cylinder is being shipped back to my FBO, should be there tomorrow.
Price for repair or exchange was $700.  I can't get a straight answer out of the mx as to whether this is my cylinder repaired, or if it is an exchange, and they base the price off of what all was wrong with mine.  Said they replaced the exhaust valve, built up springs, couple of broken fins, exhaust studs were bad. 
Struck out on a used exhaust collector, new one is going to run roughly $500 with shipping.  It should be here tomorrow as well.
They are supposed to work on it this coming weekend.  Hopefully the labor and other parts (brakes, one new landing light) won't be too shocking.  Cylinder and exhaust were the 2 big ticket items.

gotyacovered

Quote from: GusMcRae on July 11, 2012, 02:15:15 pm
Update. A Cylinder is being shipped back to my FBO, should be there tomorrow.
Price for repair or exchange was $700.  I can't get a straight answer out of the mx as to whether this is my cylinder repaired, or if it is an exchange, and they base the price off of what all was wrong with mine.  Said they replaced the exhaust valve, built up springs, couple of broken fins, exhaust studs were bad. 
Struck out on a used exhaust collector, new one is going to run roughly $500 with shipping.  It should be here tomorrow as well.
They are supposed to work on it this coming weekend.  Hopefully the labor and other parts (brakes, one new landing light) won't be too shocking.  Cylinder and exhaust were the 2 big ticket items.

i would trade ya ;D

glad it turned out better than mine.

GusMcRae

Quote from: gotyacovered on July 05, 2012, 03:44:01 pm
that'll be fun in the C150 ;D

I did wind up going to Longview in the C-150 on Friday, and returned yesterday.  In the heat pretty much every leg of the trip.  With no A/P and the thermals, that will definitely keep a rookie pilot on his toes to keep the heading and the altitude somewhere close. 
A first for me was when ATC asked me to vector 10 degrees to avoid parachute jumpers.  I heard ATC communicating with the jump plane too, letting them know where I was.  A little bit of wx was going on, 2 different ATC told me that I was about to be going through some moderate or heavy precip, once close to Commerce, and again between SPS and F05, but it turned out to be false readings on their screens both times. There were clouds but no precip, nothing really affected me in regard to wx. Just a bumpy ride and lots of thermals pushing me up at times, pulling me down others.

Have not heard from the mx but took a peek in the hangar upon returning yesterday, the cylinder is back on. Now we're just waiting on the exhaust collector to get here today.  It was supposed to be here last Thursday, that's when they told me it would arrive by going UPS ground.  After it failed to show up on Thursday, I checked on it Friday, and it was not scheduled to be here until today. I haven't seen it yet. If they would've just told me that, I could've paid more to get it here by the weekend when my mx could work on it....   Getting closer to having it all together.

gotyacovered

Quote from: GusMcRae on July 16, 2012, 01:09:53 pm
I did wind up going to Longview in the C-150 on Friday, and returned yesterday.  In the heat pretty much every leg of the trip.  With no A/P and the thermals, that will definitely keep a rookie pilot on his toes to keep the heading and the altitude somewhere close. 
A first for me was when ATC asked me to vector 10 degrees to avoid parachute jumpers.  I heard ATC communicating with the jump plane too, letting them know where I was.  A little bit of wx was going on, 2 different ATC told me that I was about to be going through some moderate or heavy precip, once close to Commerce, and again between SPS and F05, but it turned out to be false readings on their screens both times. There were clouds but no precip, nothing really affected me in regard to wx. Just a bumpy ride and lots of thermals pushing me up at times, pulling me down others.

Have not heard from the mx but took a peek in the hangar upon returning yesterday, the cylinder is back on. Now we're just waiting on the exhaust collector to get here today.  It was supposed to be here last Thursday, that's when they told me it would arrive by going UPS ground.  After it failed to show up on Thursday, I checked on it Friday, and it was not scheduled to be here until today. I haven't seen it yet. If they would've just told me that, I could've paid more to get it here by the weekend when my mx could work on it....   Getting closer to having it all together.

good deal on the 182...

was there not a TFR for the parachuters?

GusMcRae

Quote from: gotyacovered on July 16, 2012, 01:35:22 pm
good deal on the 182...

was there not a TFR for the parachuters?

No TFR.  I asked a veteran pilot about it, said that there is a common frequency on the chart that you can tune into when going near a jump zone to see if they are talking, and if so, then vector around them.  They are more likely to be active on the weekends.  Provided they are talking to ATC, flight following should assist with separation/vectoring.  If they are not, then they're taking a risk in choosing not to.

Talked to the mx.  They'll be back this weekend to finish me up. I'm going on vacation so it's going to be awhile now before I will be flying anyway.  They are saying that the valve spring was weak.  It appears that the cam shaft is getting worn as well, something to think about down the road.  And, they think one of the mags will go bad before too long. 

GusMcRae

Should have the 182 out of annual by the weekend.
However, I'll be out of pocket for the rest of the month.
Y'all fly safe. 
I'll check back in on August 1 or so.

GusMcRae

Quote from: GusMcRae on July 19, 2012, 04:57:51 pm
I'll check back in on August 1 or so.

As promised.....

I'm officially done with the annual.  The grand total was about $3,500.  I have not flown it yet, but probably will this weekend, if for no other reason than to just check it out.

bvillepig

gotyacovered

Quote from: GusMcRae on August 01, 2012, 03:18:04 pm
As promised.....

I'm officially done with the annual.  The grand total was about $3,500.  I have not flown it yet, but probably will this weekend, if for no other reason than to just check it out.

Nice, 4/1 I never thought I would say this, but, $3500 sure makes me jealous. That was less than my half of ours!!! Glad yours worked out mo betta!!!

gotyacovered

even moving this thread made me want to  :puke: