Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

An example of how to prove you are stupid

Started by gotyacovered, March 21, 2012, 08:49:57 am

Previous topic - Next topic

gotyacovered

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FguAOoUg3ZY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I bet it sounded like a good idea ::)

Quote:
AH-64 Apache helicopter crash in Sharana, Afghanistan. The pilot was executing a maneuver known as "return to target". No one on the ground was killed and both pilots survived, possible criminal charges were laid
You are what you tolerate.

FaytownHog

Good grief! Why did he hit the ground that hard? Was he suppose to land it? Looked like he clipped his rotor off which through him into that spin at the end there. SO many people are lucky they didn't get turned into ground beef!

GusMcRae

I know there is no way to tell exactly what was going on in the cockpit from that video, but if this happened due to some hot shot jacking around, showing off, etc,,, what a waste!  And if so, there should be charges, or dismissal from the service, or loss of all certificates held, or something. 
It ain't dieing I'm talking about Woodrow,,,, It's living!

Being a pilot isn't all seat-of-the-pants flying and glory. It's self- discipline, practice, study, analysis and preparation. It's precision. If you can't keep the gauges where you want them with everything free and easy, how can you keep them there when everything goes wrong?

gotyacovered

Quote from: GusMcRae on March 22, 2012, 12:02:58 pm
I know there is no way to tell exactly what was going on in the cockpit from that video, but if this happened due to some hot shot jacking around, showing off, etc,,, what a waste!  And if so, there should be charges, or dismissal from the service, or loss of all certificates held, or something. 

i bet it was a "hey watch this" type of deal. and i think, strictly my opinion, with the snow covered ground he got caught by the flat light and could judge how far AGL he was. just a thought.

and seeing that it is now on youtube, i bet he'll "be flying a cargo plane full of rubber dog chit out of Hong Kong!"

Quote from: FaytownHog on March 22, 2012, 11:03:19 am
Good grief! Why did he hit the ground that hard? Was he suppose to land it? Looked like he clipped his rotor off which through him into that spin at the end there. SO many people are lucky they didn't get turned into ground beef!

he was performing a maneuver called return to target, i am sure he has done it a bunch, proly not many time over a snow covered surface...

Flying Razorback

Yeah, those dudes will never touch an aircraft again.  Hope it was worth it.  They were also operating at a pretty high altitude.
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

gotyacovered

Quote from: FlyingRzrbkAF on March 22, 2012, 09:23:14 pm
Yeah, those dudes will never touch an aircraft again.  Hope it was worth it.  They were also operating at a pretty high altitude.

Good point, didn't even think about density altitude.

Ragnar Hogbrok

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

Flying Razorback

Quote from: wocraig on March 24, 2012, 02:50:52 pm
It wasn't me.  Idiots.

I was hoping it wasn't and that it wasn't your unit.  What I hate most about these kinds of things (at least in the AF) is we all have to wear diapers afterwards when one dude craps his pants.  Let's hope they just single these two dudes out and trust the rest of you to be professional and good pilots.
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

Ragnar Hogbrok

The guy was doing a pitch-back turn at low altitudes, at high DA and high gross weight.  If he didn't foresee his bird mushing at the bottom of that manuever, then he shouldn't be a pilot-in-command.

The MDR on the aircraft showed he was at 21 KTAS at the top of his turn.  You shouldn't be below 70 KTAS during the entire maneuver.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.

fdx flyer

Quote from: gotyacovered on March 22, 2012, 02:41:19 pm
and seeing that it is now on youtube, i bet he'll "be flying a cargo plane full of rubber dog chit out of Hong Kong!"

Hey now!  I've got a Hong Kong trip at the end of this week.  Not sure if we'll have any rubber dog chit on board though!   

gotyacovered

Quote from: fdx flyer on March 25, 2012, 11:36:15 pm
Hey now!  I've got a Hong Kong trip at the end of this week.  Not sure if we'll have any rubber dog chit on board though!   

HA, bet you didnt get yours b/c of you flew an aircraft into the ground though!!!!

Ragnar Hogbrok

I heard from an inside source that the two individuals involved will be stripped of their wings and possibly brought up on charges.  They are finished.

gotyacovered

Quote from: wocraig on March 28, 2012, 11:49:49 am
I heard from an inside source that the two individuals involved will be stripped of their wings and possibly brought up on charges.  They are finished.

i read that somewhere. wow... that SUCKS... stupidity that is...

Blue35

March 28, 2012, 10:37:41 pm #13 Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 04:11:52 pm by gotyacovered
Looks like what we used to call a cyclic climb with a petal turn at the top, then he could not recover because of high DA, he was pulling pitch but no lift. Very poor flying.