Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

696/496

Started by gotyacovered, February 07, 2012, 09:57:44 am

Previous topic - Next topic

gotyacovered

Who has one, what database bundle did you buy?

I have a 696 that is out of date. Looking at the databases right now trying to figure it out.
You are what you tolerate.

bvillepig

I don't have any of the portable Garmin but I do have 2 430s in the panel.

Do you have to use Jeppseson with the portables ?   If the answer is yes   "Bend Over" . 

gotyacovered

Quote from: bvillepig on February 07, 2012, 11:38:37 am
I don't have any of the portable Garmin but I do have 2 430s in the panel.

Do you have to use Jeppseson with the portables ?   If the answer is yes   "Bend Over" . 

No. From what I can tell I'm looking at a $500 database update. Is that supposed to be reasonable;D

bvillepig

I think the the Garmin 430 updates from Jepp are in the 800 range. Where they really get you are in the CMAX charts.  Those are the approach plates for an Instrument approach. If I had that to do over I would not do it.

For the $500 are you getting the whole US ?  Is it also an annual type thing?

gotyacovered

i just got off the phone with the fly.garmin support people, the guy that handled me, was very helpful. he advised that i just go with the aviation data cycle, which is $250 annually or $50 per time. he said he updates 13 times a year, but most pilots like myself will only do it 2 times a year. so that is what i did, he said if i didnt do a lot of scud running he wouldn't worry about the obstacles ($150) or terrain ($150) but every couple years.

i was surprised he suggested anything other than, buy it all. seems like a bad liability thing.  that probably the insurance in me coming out!

fdx flyer

I used to have a 496.  I have the Aera 560 now.  It's basically a skinnier, touch-screen 496.  I do the aviation database once or twice a year.  I also do a little scud running from time to time, so I usually do the obstacles once a year too.

gotyacovered

February 07, 2012, 07:42:52 pm #6 Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 04:02:39 pm by gotyacovered
Quote from: fdx flyer on February 07, 2012, 06:18:14 pm
I used to have a 496.  I have the Aera 560 now.  It's basically a skinnier, touch-screen 496.  I do the aviation database once or twice a year.  I also do a little scud running from time to time, so I usually do the obstacles once a year too.

Think I am going to follow in your footsteps.