Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dumb Question.....?

Started by hogsgolfpro, November 15, 2017, 09:24:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsgolfpro

If all the Gus jibber jabber is remotely true and getting him meant JL had to go, what's the beef between him and Jeff Long? This is not an advocation for either one of them or related to who we hire for AD or HC, just not sure I know of why they may have a past worth remembering?

SPAL

One has nothing to do with the other.

Hawginj

Quote from: hogsgolfpro on November 15, 2017, 09:24:55 pm
If all the Gus jibber jabber is remotely true and getting him meant JL had to go, what's the beef between him and Jeff Long? This is not an advocation for either one of them or related to who we hire for AD or HC, just not sure I know of why they may have a past worth remembering?
more than likely for passing him up while at A state.

hogsgolfpro

Quote from: Hawginj on November 15, 2017, 09:26:52 pm
more than likely for passing him up while at A state.

I considered that, but didn't seem like at the time it would have been a well-timed hire that we would offer or GM would even accept.

DoubleReedHawgCaller

I'm pretty sure Tim Horton and a few others have gave Gus an ear full about ole Jeff over the last several years.
A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

Hawginj

Quote from: hogsgolfpro on November 15, 2017, 09:29:14 pm
I considered that, but didn't seem like at the time it would have been a well-timed hire that we would offer or GM would even accept.
I don't think it would have happened anyway. I believe Gus had a deal in place when he left Auburn for A State.

HeyHogs

Maybe Gus has demanded he be both AD and Head Coach?

Hawg Life

It's not remotely true!!

HoggyCat

Gotta fire BigBoy to have an opening for Gustav. Long wasn't gonna fire his boy.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

hogsgolfpro

Quote from: Hawg Life on November 15, 2017, 10:44:38 pm
It's not remotely true!!

I would agree with you...thus why I said my question doesn't pertain to what's going on. I just genuinely wanted to know if something HAD ever occurred between JL and GM regardless of whether it mattered or not.

I believe Gus waited until Jeff and Arkansas made their decision to hire Bret before he said yes to Auburn.  I think that hurt Gus down deep.  Gus had come to Arkansas in 06 and immediately our offense got twice better, he went to Tulsa and they got triple better on offense and lead the nation in offense for the 2 years he was OC at Tulsa.  He then went to Aubbie as OC and won a NC and then went to ASU and won the conference with the youngest team in conference and in his rookie year as a college HC.  Gus had done his part to justify getting a shot as the HC of Arkansas but hell no, we intentionally passed him up for Bret Bielema, Mr ground and pound and pounds and more pounds.  Likely Gus hasn't forgot that crap.

Sundog

Quote from: 12247 on November 15, 2017, 11:07:15 pm
I believe Gus waited until Jeff and Arkansas made their decision to hire Bret before he said yes to Auburn.  I think that hurt Gus down deep.  Gus had come to Arkansas in 06 and immediately our offense got twice better, he went to Tulsa and they got triple better on offense and lead the nation in offense for the 2 years he was OC at Tulsa.  He then went to Aubbie as OC and won a NC and then went to ASU and won the conference with the youngest team in conference and in his rookie year as a college HC.  Gus had done his part to justify getting a shot as the HC of Arkansas but hell no, we intentionally passed him up for Bret Bielema, Mr ground and pound and pounds and more pounds.  Likely Gus hasn't forgot that crap.

This is a true and accurate summary of the Gus situation.  For those who want a brief history lesson;  this is it.

Hog-Corleone

Gus is an Arkansas guy, born here, raised here, loves the state, deep down, loves the hogs.  Regardless of his qualifications, or his resume, that one fact alone eliminated him from even being considered for employment for any position at the U of A as long as JL was AD. 
This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation.

factchecker

Quote from: Hog-Corleone on November 16, 2017, 05:08:15 am
Gus is an Arkansas guy, born here, raised here, loves the state, deep down, loves the hogs.  Regardless of his qualifications, or his resume, that one fact alone eliminated him from even being considered for employment for any position at the U of A as long as JL was AD.

Gus was not born here.

He was born in Irving, Texas.

Beyond that, Jeff Long had no problem hiring Mike Neighbors.  You know, a coach that was actually born in Arkansas (Greenwood) and graduated from THE University of Arkansas.

Hate on Jeff all you want but he didn't have bias against Gus because he was from Arkansas.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

60 Minutes of Hell

I figure the BOT instructed JL to either go after Gus or get out. JL, aware of GSD resentment, fears that Gus will permanently fracture the fan base.  JL didn't fall on his sword for CBB, he did it for the future of our program. If we somehow land Gus, don't be surprised if we're signing a contract with A-State in 5 years.
What a fool I used to be.

1highhog

There is or was no beef between Jeff Long and Gus Malzahn, this I know for certain.