Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Termination Letter to Long -- SIAP

Started by NuttinItUp, November 15, 2017, 03:43:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

NuttinItUp

Sorry if already posted. I didn't see it yet.

http://www.arkansasonline.com/111517longletter/

Click to enlarge image if you cannot read:

AirWarren

ricepig

Hell, if I can't read, bigger print ain't gonna help me.........thanks for posting, saved me from doing it on this worthless kindle.

NuttinItUp

I like how they told him to return his cell phone, keys, company cars, etc. Haha.

onebadrubi

Quote from: AP85 on November 15, 2017, 03:45:50 pm
Cold as ice.

Man....

No, that letter is a formal way on how to handle the lose ends, exactly as it should be.  Cold or nice was the face to face conversation that preceded this letter.

jabberjawls

HF#1

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

hawgon

Had to turn his stuff into Clay.  Fabulous Xi representing.

247Hog

"In addition, i wish to remind you of your affirmative duty of mitigation to diligently seek and accept other employment, as described in the Employment Agreement."

OUCH
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

cjack

I don't see where it says he will be paid anything going forward?? Is that what is in the severance package?
Woooo Pig Soooie!

moses_007

Bielema's letter is coming soon from the Chancellor.

dhizzle

It basically says you need to find and accept a job right way because we don't want to pay you all of your buyout.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: jabberjawls on November 15, 2017, 03:50:59 pm
Except for the last paragraph.
that was the cold-bloodedest part! He called him Mr Integrity! Damn i love me some Joseph E. Steinmetz, P.H.D. !
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Uncommon

Quote from: moses_007 on November 15, 2017, 03:59:39 pm
Bielema's letter is coming soon from the Chancellor.
That letter has been written, signed, sealed, and just waiting to be delivered immediately the morning of November 25, 2017.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Uncommon on November 15, 2017, 04:02:43 pm
That letter has been written, signed, sealed, and just waiting to be delivered immediately the morning of November 25, 2017.

Happy Thanksgiving!

dhizzle

Quote from: 247Hog on November 15, 2017, 03:55:01 pm
"In addition, i wish to remind you of your affirmative duty of mitigation to diligently seek and accept other employment, as described in the Employment Agreement."

OUCH

Ya I thought that was kind of odd. I guess it's something in the contract that says he can't just set on his couch for four years collecting checks from the U of A.

farmhawg

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 15, 2017, 04:04:49 pm
Happy Thanksgiving!
Werent you saying Long was here to stay? Maybe just my bad memory.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

NuttinItUp

Quote from: dhizzle on November 15, 2017, 04:07:41 pm
Ya I thought that was kind of odd. I guess it's something in the contract that says he can't just set on his couch for four years collecting checks from the U of A.

I think most coaches are like that too. When Charlie Strong was let go by Texas I remember reading a bunch about the same thing of it being his "duty" to find another job. (Texas' payouts are reduced by 50% of the $$ amount of whatever he gets paid at another job for the next several years.)

I'm sure Bielema has something similar where if he finds another coaching job then our payouts are reduced to him by some %.

HoggyCat

Quote from: cjack on November 15, 2017, 03:57:00 pm
I don't see where it says he will be paid anything going forward?? Is that what is in the severance package?

Per section 15.  Read it.

What I don't understand is why people are saying it's $4.5M. His contract amendment pkaibly states $100K until June of '18. And why did his contract extebd until June of '17 if it was amended to have a buyout through June of '18?

Either way, money well spent.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: HoggyCat on November 15, 2017, 04:12:27 pm

What I don't understand is why people are saying it's $4.5M. His contract amendment pkaibly states $100K until June of '18. And why did his contract extebd until June of '17 if it was amended to have a buyout through June of '18?

I think his actual contract was much longer though, right? Someone said 2022...

ricepig

Quote from: HoggyCat on November 15, 2017, 04:12:27 pm

Because it says in here.

https://htv-prod-media.s3.amazonaws.com/files/response-khbs-4029-hamner-jeff-long-original-employment-agreement-all-6-amendments-redacted-111517-1510777380.pdf

sowmonella

Quote from: NuttinItUp on November 15, 2017, 03:49:39 pm
I like how they told him to return his cell phone, keys, company cars, etc. Haha.

Ever been fired? It's very hard on a family. I don't get the haha humor in it.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Bubba's Bruisers

I'm sure this is a pretty standard termination letter.  Probably nothing unusual about it.  When you terminate someone, you do it quickly and decisively.  It is by nature a cold task.  There are no hard feelings or hugs.  It's a business decision.  Simple as that.  The Chancellor wasn't trying to send Long some underlying message.  He just wielded his sword and ended it.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Pecos Hog

Quote from: Uncommon on November 15, 2017, 04:02:43 pm

Obvously there was a face to face meeting preceeding the delivery of this letter.   And Jeff knew what was coming.   I suspect the letter was written before the face to face meeting so it could be used immediately if Jeff refused to do what he told to do.   

TebowHater

Quote from: sowmonella on November 15, 2017, 05:29:50 pm

Ever been fired where they pay you 100K BONUS for firing you, plus another 4.4M over the next four years? He's doing alright.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: TebowHater on November 15, 2017, 05:37:52 pm
Ever been fired where they pay you 100K BONUS for firing you, plus another 4.4M over the next four years? He's doing alright.

If anyone ever gave me $4.5 mil, I'd be retiring immediately.

RebHog

Ohh booohooo your boy is gone gonna be hard to survive on those millions. Do we need to donate a turkey to his family so they can eat??????sheesh! #clown

PORKULATOR

Quote from: 247Hog on November 15, 2017, 03:55:01 pm

OUCH
this part pissed me off. Classless.
" get a job so we don't have to pay you for firing you jackass", is all I hear when I read that out loud.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

phadedhawg

Quote from: PORKULATOR on November 15, 2017, 06:30:51 pm
" get a job so we don't have to pay you for firing you jackass", is all I hear when I read that out loud.

Seems like he enjoyed writing that letter almost as much as some folks enjoyed reading it.  Oh well...the cream usually rises

Tusks

Because the man made $1.2M total comp.  He probably doesnt have to work again if he doesnt want to.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

phadedhawg

Quote from: tusked on November 15, 2017, 06:32:37 pm
Because the man made $1.2M total comp.  He probably doesnt have to work again if he doesnt want to.

Just coz a person has money doesn't mean it doesn't hurt to get fired from a position you held the better part of a decade. 

Tusks

Quote from: phadedhawg on November 15, 2017, 06:37:03 pm
Just coz a person has money doesn't mean it doesn't hurt to get fired from a position you held the better part of a decade. 

snowflake
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

NuttinItUp

Yes, that is exactly what it means. If someone gives me millions of dollars I would not feel bad about being fired.

TulsaHawg

Why does the UA/Foundation provide an AD two vehicles? Isn't one sufficient?

MuskogeeHogFan

On the other hand, it appears to be an employment agreement that he agreed to when he signed his contract. It was no surprise to him. It probably didn't affect him as much as it did you.
Go Hogs Go!

NuttinItUp

Quote from: TulsaHawg on November 15, 2017, 06:50:29 pm

Wifey gotta have one, too.

MuskogeeHogFan

Yes, that is a good point. But like most people who get canned, I doubt that he was very surprised. It doesn't lessen the negativity of the moment from the standpoint of pride, but they have done way more than enough to lessen the negative financial effect and Long will get another job as an AD. Not everyone looks at things the way that we do in the SEC or at Arkansas.
Go Hogs Go!

moses_007

Bielema has two U of A vehicles to drive too.  It's in his contract.

jgphillips3

I'm guessing you are neither an employer or an attorney.  I happen to be both and you bet your ass I would remind Mr. Integrity of his obligations under the contract.  Odds are very high, in my opinion, that Long said something in private about drawing his money that led to this being included.  It didn't just happen by accident.

DeltaHog66

Quote from: NuttinItUp on November 15, 2017, 06:47:45 pm
Yes, that is exactly what it means. If someone gives me millions of dollars I would not feel bad about being fired.

This. Hell they could fire me tomorrow and give me a lot less, and I'd shake his hand and say thank you.  I was looking for a job when I found this one

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hoggish1

Wife

logic

To compare Long's firing to most ordinary people getting fired is beyond ridiculous.  After paying bills, Most people earn $20,000 to $60,000 and, after paying bills, have less than $1,000 in the bank. They don't get any severance pay or, if they are lucky, perhaps as much a month's severance pay. Unless they immediately get another job (not likely), in 3 months they are out of money and behind in their car and house payments and are barely surviving on food stamps and unemployment.  If, like Jeff Long, they would be paid over $1 million, it would not be hard on their family.  They would considered it a blessing.

ricepig

Quote from: logic on November 15, 2017, 09:50:14 pm
To compare Long's firing to most ordinary people getting fired is beyond ridiculous.  After paying bills, Most people earn $20,000 to $60,000 and, after paying bills, have less than $1,000 in the bank. They don't any severance pay or, if they are lucky, perhaps as much a month. Unless they immediately get another job (not likely), in less than 3 months they are out of money and behind in their car and house payments and are barely surviving on food stamps and unemployment.  If, like Jeff Long, they would be paid over $1 million, it would not be hard on their family.  They would considered it a blessing.

Bigger income just means bigger bills, it's still a shock to someone.

moses_007

Quote from: NuttinItUp on November 15, 2017, 06:21:36 pm
If anyone ever gave me $4.5 mil, I'd be retiring immediately.
No joke.  I would never ever be able to spend that much money.

longpig

Quote from: moses_007 on November 15, 2017, 10:45:31 pm
No joke.  I would never ever be able to spend that much money.

Most lottery winners find a way pretty quick.
Don't be scared, be smart.

HawgnCorona

Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

moses_007

I wonder why Steinmetz signature was blocked out on this copy of the letter?  Anyone can clearly see who wrote it.............

longpig

Quote from: moses_007 on November 16, 2017, 12:36:05 am
I wonder why Steinmetz signature was blocked out on this copy of the letter?  Anyone can clearly see who wrote it.............

fraud risk
Don't be scared, be smart.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: longpig on November 16, 2017, 01:40:28 am
fraud risk

Yeah, they don't want people copy/pasting his signature onto other documents.