Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Explanation from Chancellor

Started by RexMentor, November 15, 2017, 11:54:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Hawg Life on November 15, 2017, 03:27:19 pm
Get to know Mike Norvell.

I guess I misspoke...of course there's been stuff going on for a while.  It would surprise me if both an AD and a coach were hired in principle before the drama of today happened.

JL was a high profile AD...this wasn't done without a lot of diligent prep work.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Con el Cerdos

Quote from: go hogues on November 15, 2017, 11:58:44 am
"However, over the past year, Jeff has lost the support of many of our fans, alumni, key supporters, and members of the university leadership, support that I believe is critical in our pursuit of excellence."

When was the last time we've seen this level of honesty from leadership at the UA? Usually UA firings are shrouded in bs and ass kissing. This line is refreshing.

And see, as harsh at it may be, the good chancellor did not call a national press conference to announce the firing.  No one has said he cried any crocodile tears either, as he delivered the death knell.

I didn't have an opinion of Long, either way, until that dog and pony show.  Petrino had to be fired but not before a national TV audience, with all the crap Long unloaded.

I might print Long's termination letter, frame it, and hang it in my den.

hawg IQ

That was fear also, that J Long would hire another coach. I've said you just can't going hiring coaches
go hogs go !

Qui Gon Jinn

Quote from: Mellon Collie on November 15, 2017, 12:03:22 pm
My hypothesis would be that they told Jeff to fire Bret.  Jeff declined. They fired Jeff.

Make that 2.  I think he had a choice and he chose poorly.
The expert in anything was once a beginner.

hobhog

Quote from: forrest city joe on November 15, 2017, 12:42:31 pm
Jeff Long was fired because the football program is a pitiful disgrace right now.and the decisions he made is the reason.he was fired because of FOOTBALL!

Correct- The engine that drives the machine.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on November 15, 2017, 12:00:54 pm
It's still BS.  The fact that a search committee hasn't even been formed leads me to believe there was some serious poop going on behind closed doors.  Poop we will never know about.

I concur.

Trumpet, I have been saying all along that I hoped the department was audited and thorughly checked out.  No way was Jeff let go over 2 or 3 bad coaching hires.  The could easily overcome that by assuring that Jeff had assistance with hiring coaches.  There is far more to this firing than the letter mentions.  WHAT?  I don't know but suspect large cost overruns, bloated Sports department, etc..  If this was all about football, Bret would be packing out right now too.  So far , he isn't.

RebHog

Quote from: EastexHawg on November 15, 2017, 06:32:57 pm
I concur.

Not sure who the voice was but D.Ruskin and N.Mason hijacked normal broadcasting  on 95.3 at times today with tidbits and they had someone on the phone kinda sounded like Tommy but not for sure that said this was about the NEZ and how he misused some funds. I am pretty sure I seen someone post about this also before I heard it on the radio this wasn't just about wins and losses on the field.

moses_007

Quote from: cjack on November 15, 2017, 12:35:50 pm
But I thought the BOT was powerless?
They have all the power.  They can't fire the AD or head coach, but they can tell Steinmetz to or he'll be fired.

hoghearted

Quote from: Con el Cerdos on November 15, 2017, 05:55:20 pm
And see, as harsh at it may be, the good chancellor did not call a national press conference to announce the firing.  No one has said he cried any crocodile tears either, as he delivered the death knell.

I didn't have an opinion of Long, either way, until that dog and pony show.  Petrino had to be fired but not before a national TV audience, with all the crap Long unloaded.

I might print Long's termination letter, frame it, and hang it in my den.

Dilly, Dilly!
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

RexMentor

Unless there's something that is now hidden, I think firing Jeff Long is a really stupid move.