Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Long wouldn't fire Bret, so they fired him

Started by bigpigpimpin, November 15, 2017, 09:57:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: rljjr on November 15, 2017, 10:40:01 am
Do you have one small, tiny morsel to support this claim? I think it's complete Hogwash. We need somebody younger and hungrier, and Leach hasn't won anything anywhere he's ever been. His team's have not been known for playing defense. There are better options out there. But that's my opinion.
well it woulda happened if Jeff woulda survived, but now that pirate ship may have sailed. But, he'd still come if we offered. He only makes 2 million and is at a crap school. He knows Texas recruiting and his defense and offense are both top 20. And h's don it with 2 stars. Here he'd have 4 stars and high 3 stars. He'd win, a lot. But, it does make sense to go with a younger guy provided said guy can win 70% + and would stay 10+ years even if he does great. So, that would have to be an "Arkansas" guy, aka Norvell or Gus.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: Mike Irwin on November 15, 2017, 01:20:23 pm
No it is not that simple. There were a bunch of reasons. At no point did he tell anyone that he would not consider firing Bret Bielema. It never got to that point. They didn't want him hiring Bielema's replacement. In the coming weeks you will see big changes in the athletic deapartment and I'm not just talking about a new AD and a new head football coach.
You've been around this a long time.  Do you see this episode as a step forward or a step back?

Tony Perkis

Nothing to do with resistance to firing Bielema.

- Extension
- Rawleigh
- Plane use
- Relations with donors (from a lot of things)

The Kig

Quote from: hoglady on November 15, 2017, 10:24:59 am
Would you blame him?
Petrino is responsible for his own firing, he screwed up - but Long didn't have to just publicly destroy the man with that press conference.

Publicly destroy?  Scumbag Bobby didn't even remotely get what he deserved. 
Poker Porker

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

thebignasty

Quote from: Karma on November 15, 2017, 12:50:08 pm
You have to be elated that Long was fired and bails you out of your "Leach was already hired" nonsense.

lol

thebignasty

figure forcing the stadium expansion spent political points Jeff just didnt have to spend.

a terrible football season immediately following that and this is no surprise.

East Clintwood

Quote from: woodhog14 on November 15, 2017, 02:08:48 pm
This is exactly what happened when he left Pittsburgh. They went back to many things they did previously. Jeff changed thier "brand" and logo...now they have changed back to their old logo because fans were ticked that Jeff Long changed it.

Well, let's hope one of those changes is the reappearance of Slobberin' Hog at BWA.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

PorkSoda

Quote from: thebignasty on November 15, 2017, 03:20:03 pm
figure forcing the stadium expansion spent political points Jeff just didnt have to spend.

yeah, that was poorly timed IMO, put the program in a lot of debt for things it didn't necessarily need. 
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

LZH

Quote from: thebignasty on November 15, 2017, 03:20:03 pm

I gotta admit, though, I never saw this coming. Not like this....not today, over a week before the end of the season. I can't say I totally expected him to be back next year, but didn't really see him digging in his heels and forcing them to fire him.

Unless it was for $$$.

thebignasty

Quote from: LZH on November 15, 2017, 04:47:28 pm
I gotta admit, though, I never saw this coming. Not like this....not today, over a week before the end of the season. I can't say I totally expected him to be back next year, but didn't really see him digging in his heels and forcing them to fire him.

Unless it was for $$$.

I guess the homecoming crowd made an impression. I'm with you that the timing surprises.

And honestly- not trying to reverse prognosticate. I'm not surprised Jeff got fired, but I wouldn't have been surprised if he survived and moved on to a new gig later, either.

azhog10

Quote from: Tony Perkis on November 15, 2017, 02:52:14 pm
Nothing to do with resistance to firing Bielema.

- Extension
- Rawleigh
- Plane use
- Relations with donors (from a lot of things)
Then why not fire with cause?

HawgWild

We established the Golden Handcuffs tradition years back with HDN.

HiggiePiggy

Well this shows him that he should never fire a guy that is making everyone happy and then hold onto a guy that is making everyone angry. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

hog911

Quote from: Deep Shoat on November 15, 2017, 10:01:22 am
No, there's not more than that.  Stop believing stupid message board BS planted by prj and his roving band of shills for the GOBN.

We'll see if Mr Integrity was on the up and up! I never trusted Jeffy since he let slip he knew about BP and the volleyball player at a banquet prior to the public finding out!

hog911

Quote from: The Kig on November 15, 2017, 02:57:15 pm
Publicly destroy?  Scumbag Bobby didn't even remotely get what he deserved.
Since you are throwing stones, what exactly did he deserve?

MuskogeeHogFan

It's fun...speculatin, ain't it? In reality he has been demoted but they are still paying his contract. You have to wonder if that is just to get him out of the way of the process and give him time to find another job? If he had really done anything credibly wrong that would actually "stick", they wouldn't have gone to this much trouble in keeping him on the payroll. He would have just been fired. This way he is out of the way quickly, he has no financial penalty and no legal monetary recourse against Arkansas for just wanting to get rid of him.

All they did was remove his power while protecting themselves from legal action. Which seemed to be the goal. He'll be gone soon enough, on his own.

See, I can speculate too. ;)
Go Hogs Go!

I doubt if the poor football HC hire had even 20 percent to do with Jeff getting fired.  I suggest there was many more reasons most that we will never know about.  I suspect huge cost overruns, bloated sports department, attitude, but I don't know.  The GOBN would not fire the AD over something fixable such as letting an idiot hire the coaches.  They could provide him assistance for that small job.  I ma personally glad hi is gone.  Now Bret, please.

thebignasty

Quote from: 12247 on November 15, 2017, 06:47:35 pm
I doubt if the poor football HC hire had even 20 percent to do with Jeff getting fired.  I suggest there was many more reasons most that we will never know about.  I suspect huge cost overruns, bloated sports department, attitude, but I don't know.  The GOBN would not fire the AD over something fixable such as letting an idiot hire the coaches.  They could provide him assistance for that small job.  I ma personally glad hi is gone.  Now Bret, please.

I bet guv knows

Every football heavy school has a GOBN.  It is actually different to not have a GOBN that lords influence over the programs.  That is why you see a FLA firing a somewhat decent coach midseason, TN dismssing their coach so as to be seen as needing a coach and being ready to hire and AUB being ready to can a pretty decent coach.  Aub didn't hire with the intention of being decent, they expect championships and BAMA wins.  Us, we just happy to be here.

And another thing, Long would have fired Bret before noon if that would have saved his job.

longtimeHogfan

Kick back, relax, prop your feet up, pour a cold one....it's gonna' be fun.
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

DoubleReedHawgCaller

Bret has other problems than just eating and the bottle......
A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: Deep Shoat on November 15, 2017, 10:01:22 am
No, there's not more than that.  Stop believing stupid message board BS planted by prj and his roving band of shills for the GOBN.

LMAO. Did I not tell you Long was out the door...? My roving band of GOBN shills, as you call them...well....they got rid of an albatross around the neck of the cash cow called our football program. In the next couple of weeks, they will remove the growth on the program.

It is folks like you who got duped by a con artist and a charming lush...

The GOBN finally had enough of them wizzing on the state and telling us it was rain.

I wouldn't expect someone who wears Cherokee scrubs and Crocs to grasp that though.

Take Care Shoat....I know you are struggling today.

PRJ

Pork Twain

Quote from: hogsanity on November 15, 2017, 10:10:03 am
So, something 99% of the posters here seemed to want to happen, Long being fired, appears to have happened, so now said posters are going to argue about the reason Long was fired............................
Hogville
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

bondhue

We are not a continue to employ someone at any cost program.
That's a pretty girl.  I caught her twice.  12.5 pounds.  I hope she's still alive.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Athog