Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who is the next AD?

Started by BigK_HogHeaven, November 15, 2017, 09:37:39 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogeration

1highhog

Quote from: woo.pig on November 15, 2017, 11:43:37 am
Barry Switzer

He would be selling moonshine out of his office and have us under investigation by the FBI and the NCAA within two months of being on the job.

HotlantaHog

Need to hire an AD who wants to hire a football coach who is better than he was. I would be worried about Nutt as AD as he hates to hire anyone smarter than Nutt, which of course limits the filed immensely. More comfortable with Tuberville if we are going to go in that direction.

ricepig

Quote from: HotlantaHog on November 15, 2017, 12:45:46 pm
Need to hire an AD who wants to hire a football coach who is better than he was. I would be worried about Nutt as AD as he hates to hire anyone smarter than Nutt, which of course limits the filed immensely.

He could keep Bret.......

HammusArkansus

Barry Alvarez is a successful micromanager of Bret Bielema.  Alavarez makes 1.125 million at Wisky.  Offer him 2 million per and turn him lose on CBB's coaching decisions.  If CBB can't take the extreme oversight (like at Wisky), he walks and there is no buyout penalty.  If Alvarez is successful, the Hogs return to being winners and it doesn't cost the 5 to 15 million to let CBB go.  If Alvarez is unsuccessful, it only cost an additional 1 mill per year and CBB's buyout has dropped each year.  My guess is that Alvarez is the reason for much of Wisc's success and that is our best 'cheap' option at having success here.     

tolerati

"Show me a quarterback who isn't cocky, and I'll show you a quarterback who isn't worth a damn." - Darrell Royal

HoggyCat

I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on November 15, 2017, 10:01:20 am
It will never happen for a multitude of reasons, but Brad Teague seems to have done a pretty good job at UCA.

(And the anger this would cause in Conway would keep me warm all winter long)

I was going to post that they could do a lot worse than Brad Teague.  Ditto for Terry Mohajir over at ASU.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

WilsonHog

Three requirements, seems to me.

(1) Someone with ties to our program - a former Razorback, perhaps.

(2) Someone who understands the history and traditions of our program and State.

(3) Someone who understands the value of personal relationships, believes in access, and embraces an "open door" policy to his office.

Razorbackers

If it's tubbs or nutt I'll delete my account, turn in my gear, and go cheer for Kansas. lol

311Hog

Nutt is to freaking lazy to be AD.

ricepig

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on November 15, 2017, 01:13:06 pm

(2) Someone who understands the history and traditions of our program and State.

(3) Someone who understands the value of personal relationships and welcomes an "open door" policy.

Good luck on filling those shoes with someone capable of running a $120m budget.

BannerMountainMan

"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

WilsonHog

Quote from: ricepig on November 15, 2017, 01:16:49 pm
Good luck on filling those shoes with someone capable of running a $120m budget.

Don't necessarily have to. Fill the AD's spot with a man who fits those qualifications, then have him hire a finance guy who will handle the details and report to him.

1highhog

ricepig

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on November 15, 2017, 01:20:41 pm
Don't necessarily have to. Fill the AD's spot with a man who fits those qualifications, then have him hire a finance guy who will handle the details and report to him.

Well, I hope in your scenario the make the salary equal to the job description, sort of like a WM greeter?

Wooderson

Being that the president came from Ohio State, do we get someone with Buckeye ties? 
Give me liberty, or give me death!

WPS2k18

Im calling it now... Hogs 2047 National Champs.

Justifiable Hogicide

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on November 15, 2017, 01:16:52 pm
Nolan Richardson
Had to check calendar to make sure it's not April Fools Day.

azhog10

Fitz Hill or Tom Jurich.....I think Jurich would be a home run hire.

Been10Hog

Quote from: 1highhog on November 15, 2017, 12:45:06 pm
He would be selling moonshine out of his office and have us under investigation by the FBI and the NCAA within two months of being on the job.
Yeah....but we would out-athlete Bama!

BigK_HogHeaven

Quote from: WPS2k18 on November 15, 2017, 01:29:29 pm
Im In.

You really want someone with a history of NCAA violations? That's all this program needs..

isavedjazz

We need someone who understands Arkansas football. No excuses. No whining. Tubb knows. He knows Arkansas can be a good program and wont make the crybaby excuses that are so often made. We cant recruit, we have to compete against bama, waaaaaah. No. What you think is what you will become. Tubb has the balls and the knowledge to take us where he knows we can go.
Okay, I'll admit I was a bit curt. But requesting "I Ran" from a serious musician, it's just, it's too far.

HoggyCat

(3) Someone who understands the value of personal relationships, believes in access, and embraces an "open door" policy to his office.

Marvin Caston checks those off. Plus he went through a situation similar to what we're in now, minus a new AD. He would know what the players are going through. He bleeds razorback red. Currently fairly high up in the Foundation, so he knows fund raising.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

Snouty

DeltaBoy!  With over 67,000 Hogville posts, no one could be more passionate about the Razorbacks!
And maybe he could afford to go to the games!

SooieGeneris

ABH. Anybody But Hooty. No Tuberville or any other washed up coach either!
An Old OL coach who's team couldn't block a hat last season... If things aren't MUCH better this fall,  enjoy Hot Springs Sammy!

Kevin

Quote from: HoggyCat on November 15, 2017, 01:59:28 pm
Marvin Caston checks those off. Plus he went through a situation similar to what we're in now, minus a new AD. He would know what the players are going through. He bleeds razorback red. Currently fairly high up in the Foundation, so he knows fund raising.

I am ok with him
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

SooieGeneris

Would Derrick Gragg be considered? He has a connection both to the SEC and us having been here a few years in the early 2000s, having played at Vandy and is now AD at Tulsa, so he has experience.
An Old OL coach who's team couldn't block a hat last season... If things aren't MUCH better this fall,  enjoy Hot Springs Sammy!

jvanhorn

Quote from: jacobp on November 15, 2017, 09:38:37 am
Terry Don Phillips is almost 80 freaking years old

Wow, you talk abut age prejudice!  So what.  If he doesn't have dementia and his faculities are still sharp that is all that matters.  Do you think all he knows about being an AD just disappeared when he reached a certain age.  I realize he is not long term, but he is probably the guy in the short term to find a coach and get the program back to running properly.  And he will probably get to name his successor--and he certainly would know what kind of person would be a good fit the this particular program.

jvanhorn

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: jvanhorn on November 15, 2017, 02:31:47 pm
Wow, you talk abut age prejudice!  So what.  If he doesn't have dementia and his faculities are still sharp that is all that matters.  Do you think all he knows about being an AD just disappeared when he reached a certain age.  I realize he is not long term, but he is probably the guy in the short term to find a coach and get the program back to running properly.  And he will probably get to name his successor--and he certainly would know what kind of person would be a good fit the this particular program.
Since the world changes rapidly, especially the world of the college sports business, yes it is entirely possible that everything he knew about being an AD may not be applicable at all.

GolfnHog

Quote from: isavedjazz on November 15, 2017, 01:58:52 pm
We need someone who understands Arkansas football. No excuses. No whining. Tubb knows. He knows Arkansas can be a good program and wont make the crybaby excuses that are so often made. We cant recruit, we have to compete against bama, waaaaaah. No. What you think is what you will become. Tubb has the balls and the knowledge to take us where he knows we can go.

So riddle me this; why did he walk out of dinner  and leave TTU if he's all that? I don't see anything about TT that gives me warm fuzzies about his ability to be an AD.

I don't necessarily buyin to the next AD having AR connections. What I do want is an AD that understands SEC football,  coaches, traditions etc... and that doesn't require being from AR but it requires someone with experience from the SEC footprint.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

GuvHog

Dr. Fitz Hill would be a good one.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

311Hog

rzrbak4life

GuvHog

Quote from: tolerati on November 15, 2017, 12:59:20 pm
No to both.

Why don't you think Fitz Hill would make a good AD??

BoogaHog

Quote from: GuvHog on November 15, 2017, 02:41:35 pm

Fitz gets it...all of it..you might say he fitz the bill...

seriously, he's got my vote.

TOM "tbw1"

Who has been athletic director before that meets these qualifications in today's world?
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: GuvHog on November 15, 2017, 02:41:35 pm
Would he be a yes man for the BOT? Because that's exactly what they're looking for. A return to the GOBN is straight ahead.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

GuvHog

Quote from: BJJHog on November 15, 2017, 02:47:15 pm
Fitz gets it...all of it..you might say he fitz the bill...

seriously, he's got my vote.

No doubt.

He used to be a College assistant coach and a college head coach.

He coached at the U of A and lives in Arkansas.

He's now an Administrator with a Doctorate degree at a Private school

He's very qualified.

dayofthehawg1

Terry Don Phillips for the next 3 to 5 years.  He is very experienced.  He has Arkansas ties.  He knows how to succeed.  Let's get him in here, get all programs on a good base, then turn it over to someone much younger who will be here for awhile. 

moses_007

Quote from: COWPOKENHAWG on November 15, 2017, 09:41:10 am
Tommy Tuberville
Bingo!  Tommy has been campaigning for the job.  He grew up in Arkansas and he's always wanted to be a part of our football program.  I say give it to Tommy......

JJHog

Tulsa AD Derrick Gragg
Has worked here before under JFB
" Think Right, Do Right"

BoogaHog

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on November 15, 2017, 02:49:33 pm
Would he be a yes man for the BOT? Because that's exactly what they're looking for. A return to the GOBN is straight ahead.

In many instances yes.  But he does have integrity (think in terms of real character and integrity, not just a selling slogan).  Deep love, experience and understanding of what it IS to be a Razorback.  He gets the culture, is persuasive, but not in a shlarmy way.  He has the relationships and understands the inextricable connection between Razorback culture and our state.  He also understand and has deep relationships in Texas, Eastern Oklahoma, Memphis, Northern Louisiana, and KC (he understands that these are annexed Razorback territories and extensions of our state,  LOOK AT OUR STUDENT BODY versus our football roster makes me want to :puke:) and that we MUST take them back.  Oh, how about the rejuvenation of our Razorback Clubs, remember those....they will come back.

Hawg Life

razorhead94

"Primetime is whenever we play" - Jack Kenley 2019 OmaHogs

Ex-Trumpet

Good.  I'm looking forward to wielding some power again.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

WilsonHog

Outstanding.

In the rush to rid ourselves of the problems surrounding Houston Nutt, someone apparently decided that what we needed was to rid ourselves completely of people with Razorback connections, hire all outsiders, and adopt a bunker mentality.

To quote one of my favorite songs from my youth, "The Boys are Back in Town."

GoldCoastHog