Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Women's Basketball Luncheon

Started by LadybackBBFan, November 07, 2017, 08:24:53 am

Previous topic - Next topic

LadybackBBFan

Coach Neighbors held his first basketball luncheon at Mermaids yesterday.  What an upbeat luncheon.  Coaches spread out among the tables and talked to fans.  Brett Doan, the new director of TV who will broadcast the women's games and some of the men's games was the emcee.  He did a fantastic job and will be great on TV as you can tell that he has a lot of experience.  He also sat at a table with fans.
Coach Neighbors stressed the following for all fans:
- Be Side by Side with team by doing the following:
- Be patient and understanding as we are a process team - not results driven.
-Treat us the same - win or loose.
-Be + on social media, message boards, conversations with others as it impacts recruiting.
- Make the live experience better for all rather than watching on TV.
Other comments were on the list, but the message is clear.  This will take time to implement the change and we all need to be patient.  I am more excited than I have been since Gary Blair left which we all know was a sad day.  So I am urging all of us to be patient with this team and coach - good things will happen if we are.  It took Dawn Staley time to get her program at South Carolina and Geno at Connecticut.
Keiryn Swenson was the lone player at the luncheon and was all smiles and very positive about the program and how all the girls feel.  The next luncheon is December 4 and I encourage all fans who can to come - you need to make a reservation by Friday before by calling 479-575-2751.  For those that do not know there is a bus trip to Oral Roberts on Monday November 20 - tickets are available on line.

flippinhogmana

Even though I was not there to be impacted by what you described, I share your excitement for the team.  Down the road we are going to be better than we have been in a long time.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

psycHOGlogist

flippinhogmana

some of you probably saw this article but just in case you didnt I wanted you to be aware of some of the staffs recruiting efforts.  You have to have some bigs but as Eddie Sutton used to say 'guards win championships/  Notice the two transfers, and notice some of his recruiting emphasis.  Better days are ahead and bigs will come too.

University of Arkansas, Fayetteville women's basketball Coach Mike Neighbors and his program has the attention of one of the top junior prospects in the nation.

Guard Jayla Hemingway, 5-11 of Germantown (Tenn.) Houston has approximately 29 scholarship offers from Arkansas, Vanderbilt, Miami, Clemson, Kansas State, Texas Tech and others.

Her father, Jeff, said the Razorbacks are doing a good job of recruiting his daughter.

"I tell you things are going very well with Arkansas," Hemingway said. "Jayla and I and my family as well are big fans of the staff at Arkansas. Mike Neighbors and Coach Todd Schaefer are personally recruiting my daughter and that's a big deal for her."

Prospectsnation.com rates Hemingway the No. 12 prospect nationally in the 2019 class. She averaged 20 points, 8 rebounds, 3 assists and 4 steals as a sophomore and was a finalist last year for Class AAA Miss Basketball that went to current Tennessee freshman Anastasia Hayes.

She attended an Arkansas camp during the summer. Hemingway planned to visit Fayetteville over the weekend but wasn't able to make it.

"We're going to back and catch a few basketball games," Jeff said. "They play on Thursday and Sundays which is a good thing for us. We're just going to drive over one Saturday night and spend time with the team Saturday and get a chance to watch the game on Sunday."

Jeff Hemingway played basketball at Newberry College in South Carolina while his wife, Nicole, played volleyball at South Carolina before transferring to Newberry where the two met.

Neighbors' style of play is a big attraction to Jayla.

"Style of play, I'm just going to keep saying style of play," Jeff said. "Neighbors' style of play fits the way she likes to play and that is fast."

Goforth very familiar

Fayetteville sophomore guard Sasha Goforth is a frequent visitor to Coach Mike Neighbors' program and Saturday was her latest visit.

She's aware of Neighbors' resume at Washington that includes coaching guard Kelsey Plum, the national player of the year and 2017 WNBA No. 1 overall draft pick.

"I've been going to their practices and talking to him a lot," Goforth said. "I really like him as a coach. He just seems really genuine about his players. He coached the WNBA number one draft pick so obviously he's very smart and knows what he's doing."

Goforth, 6-0, led Fayetteville to the Class 7A state title over North Little Rock with 19 points as a freshman while earning the tournament MVP award. She received scholarship offers from Mississippi State and Texas following the game to go along with one from Arkansas.

She has since accumulated 17 other scholarship offers. Goforth averaged 13.1 points, 4.0 rebounds, 2.1 steals and 1.1 blocks to earn the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette's All-Arkansas Preps Newcomer of the Year.

Prospectsnation.com rates Goforth the No. 12 prospect nationally in the 2020 class. While she's grown up in Arkansas, Goforth said she doesn't feel much pressure to stay in-state.

"My dad went to Texas and Stanford for his masters [degree]," she said. "My family isn't one of those all-out Razorback fans. If they're playing on TV or something we would be cheering, but we're not like all out crazy like, 'Go Hogs'."

Wherever she attends college, Goforth wants to have a good vibe with the coaches and players.

"I want to get along with everybody and I want it to be a nice area to live in," Goforth said.

NLR guard visits

North Little Rock junior guard Kennedy Tucker, who's another key in-state recruit for Razorbacks women's Coach Mike Neighbors, visited the Razorbacks on Saturday

"It was [a] nice experience to be able to see what it's like up there," Tucker said.

Tucker, 5-11 has 10 scholarship offers from the Hogs, Mississippi State, Louisville and others. She averaged 12.3 points, 3.4 rebounds, 2.3 steals and 4.5 assists as a sophomore.

Neighbors' uptempo style of play is to Tucker's liking.

"I like the fast paced style of play," Tucker said. "Just getting the ball and going and doing a lot of transition stuff."

Prospectsnation.com rates Tucker the No. 24 prospect in the nation for the 2019 class. Tucker is debating how far she's willing to go for college.

"I haven't been that far away from home away from my parents, maybe like like six hours," she said.

E-mail Richard Davenport at rdavenport@arkansasonline.com

Sports on 10/27/2017
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

psycHOGlogist

Rokia Doumbia has still not committed, and Coach Neighbors and Coach Goldwire are following her activity closely on social media (along with some of her coaches at IMG Academy). No idea whether she will pick us, but it seems clear that we are hoping that she does. We should know soon. Top 100 kid, per ESPN HoopGurlz (and another guard).

hawg1221

How can one not like Coach Neighbors. He's got a very nice personality. I wish him nothing but success here. WPS!

outlawhogeywells

Did the women's Basketball team sign any players yesterday?

LadybackBBFan

Quote from: outlawhogeywells on November 09, 2017, 10:34:03 am
Did the women's Basketball team sign any players yesterday?
No they did not.  Still in the running with one player who is suppose to make her decision tomorrow - I think.

mhuff

Quote from: hawg1221 on November 08, 2017, 08:52:59 am
How can one not like Coach Neighbors. He's got a very nice personality. I wish him nothing but success here. WPS!

flippinhogmana

Quote from: LadybackBBFan on November 09, 2017, 04:45:42 pm
No they did not.  Still in the running with one player who is suppose to make her decision tomorrow - I think.

but no bigs at this time I am told

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: flippinhogmana on November 09, 2017, 10:21:42 pm
but no bigs at this time I am told

Unless they pull a rabbit out of their hats, they will have to try to get a JUCO big in the spring. At least I hope that's their strategy. Or maybe a grad transfer.