Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why do our fans accept mediocrity?

Started by hogwildjoshua, February 10, 2018, 11:38:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogwildjoshua

Why is it that this fan base accepts mediocre results year in and year out.  Our players deserve better than this mediocre coaching job by Mike Anderson.  And don't give me any of the "he's never had a losing season BS"...he's never made it to the SWEET 16 in 6 years and he sure as hell won't make it this year with the way he's coaching right now. 

This is why other teams fans make fun of our fanbase on twitter...because about 90% of us ACCEPT AVERAGE.  Pathetic. 

Hope you Kool-Aid drinkers come on here and start doing your thing  :puke:

waphill

What are the fans supposed to do? Last time I checked, we weren't the AD or board.

MikePiazza

Trash can, please. Maybe a ban for this guy. He literally created an account to type Mediocre Mike as much as he can until it pleases him.
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

99toLife

Quote from: hogwildjoshua on February 10, 2018, 11:38:14 am
Why is it that this fan base accepts mediocre results year in and year out.  Our players deserve better than this mediocre coaching job by Mike Anderson.  And don't give me any of the "he's never had a losing season BS"...he's never made it to the SWEET 16 in 6 years and he sure as hell won't make it this year with the way he's coaching right now. 

This is why other teams fans make fun of our fanbase on twitter...because about 90% of us ACCEPT AVERAGE.  Pathetic. 

I don't think the fans accept anything,  Just because many don't whine and cry after every loss means they accept it. Might be because most fans realize they have NO control over winning or losing games no matter how much they B**ch about it.

hogwildjoshua

Quote from: MikePiazza on February 10, 2018, 11:42:05 am
Trash can, please. Maybe a ban for this guy. He literally created an account to type Mediocre Mike as much as he can until it pleases him.

Banned for what?  Again, this team deserves better.  That's my opinion.  If you don't like it then don't say anything. 

MikePiazza

Quote from: hogwildjoshua on February 10, 2018, 11:48:40 am
Banned for what?  Again, this team deserves better.  That's my opinion.  If you don't like it then don't say anything.

Luckily I can have an opinion too and I can say your opinion sucks. Mike Anderson is one of the most respected coaches in the country and Arkansas is lucky he bailed on a good situation at Missouri to come rescue the program from the actual mediocrity it was in.

Do you not remember the Heath & Pelphrey eras? That was true mediocrity. I take it you're probably a younger fan and you just either don't remember it or you just don't know what you're watching.

HogBreath

We're not accepting this mediocrity you speak of Josh, we're just being patient and giving Coach Mike time to get his players in here.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

rljjr

Quote from: MikePiazza on February 10, 2018, 11:53:19 am
Luckily I can have an opinion too and I can say your opinion sucks. Mike Anderson is one of the most respected coaches in the country and Arkansas is lucky he bailed on a good situation at Missouri to come rescue the program from the actual mediocrity it was in.

Do you not remember the Heath & Pelphrey eras? That was true mediocrity. I take it you're probably a younger fan and you just either don't remember it or you just don't know what you're watching.

There's truth in what you say, but after 6.5 years it's obvious Mike has taken us as high as he can go. He brought us back and stabilized the program, but he's a career .650 guy and that's it. Now is the time to take that next step and move up another notch, say thank you for his accomplishments and continue the climb.

tomahawkhog

And who do you get to do that?  Ready to hear who is a realistic proven coach that will take the Hogs to the Final Four.
Go Hogs!

MikePiazza

Quote from: rljjr on February 10, 2018, 11:58:15 am
There's truth in what you say, but after 6.5 years it's obvious Mike has taken us as high as he can go. He brought us back and stabilized the program, but he's a career .650 guy and that's it. Now is the time to take that next step and move up another notch, say thank you for his accomplishments and continue the climb.

Now see, I can at least give some credence to this take. I just don't know what coach is going to come in here after the previous coach was fired for winning 2/3 of his games and making the NCAA Tourney 3 out of 4 years.

MikePiazza

Quote from: tomahawkhog on February 10, 2018, 11:59:42 am
And who do you get to do that?  Ready to hear who is a realistic proven coach that will take the Hogs to the Final Four.

Tom Crean is available. Took Marquette to one, would've taken Indiana to one eventually if he'd been given more time.

HogBreath

If we can't find that final four cat, maybe a sweet sixteen or elite eight man will do.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

rljjr

Quote from: MikePiazza on February 10, 2018, 12:00:58 pm
Now see, I can at least give some credence to this take. I just don't know what coach is going to come in here after the previous coach was fired for winning 2/3 of his games and making the NCAA Tourney 3 out of 4 years.

And i can respect your opinion. I don't know who it could be, either, but I would like to see somebody else get a shot.

I get frustrated seeing what I perceive as making the same mistakes again and again. No half-court offense, just the ISO drives. No ability to rebound. No ability to close out on the three-point shot. Poor free-throw shooting. No passion from MA (honestly this makes me more mad than bad on the court play). One game I can understand, but these are symptoms of MA game in (free throws are atypical this season), game out, year in, year out.

I honestly don't expect MA to go anywhere for at least one more year, if then at all. I do, however, think there are others who could come in and succeed.

jmark

a mike anderson coached ua tem would have made it to a sweet 16 if is was not for unclassmen leaving early.

WPS!
40/29 News Confirms Houston Nutt Will Not Return In 2008
POSTED: 3:49 pm CST November 16, 2007

Razorback_Mack

BECAUSE THE SEASON IS NOT OVER YOU IMBECILE

Dominicanhog

Why do you keep asking stupid questions?

chanhog1996

Isn't average being .500? Winning half your games and losing half seems average. Being 226-144 is not average

Razorpigg

2nd in the SEC in conference wins the last few years and it's mediocrity. Maybe at UK, Duke, Kansas, etc... But that's not mediocre at UA. Not sure where some of you get off thinking you are owed something by the flagship University of this state. Or how we are suppose to be some powerhouse Basketball program. It's been sooo long since we were even close to that, that no recruit could remember it happened. So slow your roles and support our team. Or find a new one? Choices...

Smalltownhog95

Quote from: rljjr on February 10, 2018, 11:58:15 am
Exactly how I feel +1. We've gone from dumpster fire to competitive bubble team and Mike Anderson is the reason for that. Pay him his millions and let there be no hard feelings.
Wait a minute this isn't chinese checkers.. This isn't even regular checkers!

hogsanity

Quote from: MikePiazza on February 10, 2018, 11:53:19 am

Do you not remember the Heath & Pelphrey eras?

I remember them. Got about the same results we get now. On the bubble/miss post season more times than not. Heath made the NCAAT twice in 5 years, Pel once in 4 and Mike so fare twice in 6. The same people that wanted Pel and Heath fired for those results praise Mike for the same because they like Mike for what he did here twenty years ago.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

bkjbearcat

Really? The only schools in the region that puts more resources in basketball is Kansas and KY. Yet we still have this, "Who will come to poor little Arkansas?" mantra?
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

Sow Lancelot

So much fail here.
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

bkjbearcat

Quote from: jmark on February 10, 2018, 12:21:24 pm
a mike anderson coached ua tem would have made it to a sweet 16 if is was not for unclassmen leaving early.

WPS!

I hope this was sarcastic. It's 2018...not 1985.
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

greenEGnHAWGS

Since you haven't "accepted mediocrity" like the REST of us, what is it that you're doing to NOT "accept mediocrity"? Posting on a board? Not watching ESPN? What have you as a crusader of superiority done to not accept it?

Ps...since I don't piss and moan over every loss, does that mean I have accepted mediocrity?
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

hogsanity

Quote from: MikePiazza on February 10, 2018, 12:00:58 pm

ok, 1st it is, if they make it, 3 out of 7 years in the ncaat.

But to the coach question. Eddie nor Nolan were very proven or established when they came here. The built their careers here. You have to go try to find the next guy, the next young coach that is going to turn into a guy like that. And, as with any coaching hire, it is a crap shoot. But the idea that they would have to get a guy who has already been to a final 4 or multiple sweet 16's is false.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: hogwildjoshua on February 10, 2018, 11:48:40 am

Then tell us who right now would we hire that is better?  There are many coaches out there that are better, but you are talking about firing a head coach that has taken over a program that was not very good for almost a decade and has had only 1 losing season in sec play which was his first year. 

Yes a lot of the play has been mediocrity and very frustrating at times, but he now has taken the Razorbacks to 2 NCAA tournaments in his last 3 and probably will make it to one this year also which would be 3 times in 4 years which would mean our program has taken the next step to being a consistent team in the tournament and start moving toward competing and getting further in the tournament.

It is frustrating to watch the Razorbacks because there is so much inconsistency on the court, but if he is able to get into the tournament then that is what majority on here asked for.  Get to the tournament. No one knows what we will do in the tournament. Most likely win our first and lose our second, but with this team it could be the sweet 16 if Macon and Barford light it up like they are capable of doing.

Now if he does not make the tournament this year then yes I agree with others on here that he should be fired.  He has a lot of experience on this team and to not make the tournament means it's a huge failure and very unacceptable.

I like Mike Anderson. He came back to Arkansas when the program was in bad times and has slowly changed it back to being respectable.  I do think if we fired him for not making the tournament this year then it would be easier to find a decent coach to replace him that could be much better.  Now if we fire him after he makes the tournament and has little success in the tournament then I think our chances of a decent head coach goes down a lot more. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Rome26

Quote from: hogsanity on February 10, 2018, 12:59:08 pm
ok, 1st it is, if they make it, 3 out of 7 years in the ncaat.

But to the coach question. Eddie nor Nolan were very proven or established when they came here. The built their careers here. You have to go try to find the next guy, the next young coach that is going to turn into a guy like that. And, as with any coaching hire, it is a crap shoot. But the idea that they would have to get a guy who has already been to a final 4 or multiple sweet 16's is false.

I'd much rather have CMA than gamble on another unproven coach.

Sweet Feet

Where were you when Arkansas made the 2nd round twice in the past 4 seasons, including getting hosed vs the eventual national champs last year?

hogsanity

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on February 10, 2018, 01:01:09 pm
Then tell us who right now would we hire that is better? 

Who knows. There are 350 d1 coaches, not to mention assistants, other divisions, or nba. Is not knowing what the results will be reason to not try to do better?

hogsanity

Quote from: Rome26 on February 10, 2018, 01:08:31 pm

Why? Because he is Mike Anderson?

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Rome26 on February 10, 2018, 01:08:31 pm

I agree unless he doesn't make the tournament this year with the team he has.  To me it's very unacceptable to have so many seniors and not make the NCAA tournament. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Rome26

Quote from: hogsanity on February 10, 2018, 01:11:59 pm
Why? Because he is Mike Anderson?

I feel there's a much better chance an unproven coach would do worse than what CMA is currently doing especially if we make the tourney this year.

bkjbearcat

Quote from: Rome26 on February 10, 2018, 01:25:03 pm
I feel there's a much better chance an unproven coach would do worse than what CMA is currently doing especially if we make the tourney this year.

I'm the opposite. I'd rather take a chance on a unproven HC then a coach who has proven to be mediocre.

hobhog

Quote from: bkjbearcat on February 10, 2018, 01:37:59 pm
I'm the opposite. I'd rather take a chance on a unproven HC then a coach who has proven to be mediocre.

Dominicanhog

I hear Pelphrey and Heath are available...

Pigsear

Quote from: HogBreath on February 10, 2018, 11:55:39 am
We're not accepting this mediocrity you speak of Josh, we're just being patient and giving Coach Mike time to get his players in here.
If he hasn't got his players in 6 years, doubt seriously he ever will. Actually fans are excepting mediocrity, he's had 6 mediocre seasons and most keep making excuses for him.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: bkjbearcat on February 10, 2018, 12:50:17 pm
Really? The only schools in the region that puts more resources in basketball is Kansas and KY. Yet we still have this, "Who will come to poor little Arkansas?" mantra?

They just got a practice facility. Stop it!

hogsanity

Quote from: Dominicanhog on February 10, 2018, 01:47:57 pm
I hear Pelphrey and Heath are available...

they got to the ncaat here at about the same rate as CMA.

Letsroll1200

Tried that

hogsanity

bkjbearcat

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on February 10, 2018, 01:59:39 pm

But they HAVE one. The university still puts a lot of time and money in basketball. Yet to many are just poor little us. It's you who needs to stop it.

bkjbearcat

Quote from: hogsanity on February 10, 2018, 02:12:26 pm
they got to the ncaat here at about the same rate as CMA.

And didn't they recruit a little bit better?

hogsanity

Quote from: bkjbearcat on February 10, 2018, 02:17:17 pm
And didn't they recruit a little bit better?

Hard to say on that. My feeling would be it was about the same, and the results are about the same too. None of them tore it up recruiting.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: MikePiazza on February 10, 2018, 12:01:29 pm
Tom Crean is available. Took Marquette to one, would've taken Indiana to one eventually if he'd been given more time.

Wait... Crean was at Indiana for 9 seasons and you think he needed more time there. Indiana>Arkansas in basketball right now so how long would he need here 15 years?

I say we go ahead and give CMA a lifetime contract and be done with it. If Crean couldn't make it at Indiana with all of those recruiting advantages and basketball tradition, what makes you think he could make it here?

hogsanity

Quote from: FineAsSwine on February 10, 2018, 02:37:40 pm
Wait... Crean was at Indiana for 9 seasons and you think he needed more time there. Indiana>Arkansas in basketball right now so how long would he need here 15 years?

I say we go ahead and give CMA a lifetime contract and be done with it. If Crean couldn't make it at Indiana with all of those recruiting advantages and basketball tradition, what makes you think he could make it here?

The quote you replied to was talking about making a final 4. Crean made 3 sweet 16's at Indiana. Also won the Big10 twice.

MikePiazza

Quote from: FineAsSwine on February 10, 2018, 02:37:40 pm

He made three Sweet 16s though and has a Final Four on his resume. Plus he's not a nostalgia hire and he's not Mike Anderson so hogsanity would be happy.

bkjbearcat

Quote from: MikePiazza on February 10, 2018, 02:53:16 pm
He made three Sweet 16s though and has a Final Four on his resume. Plus he's not a nostalgia hire and he's not Mike Anderson so hogsanity would be happy.

Hogsanity? More like I'd be happy.

3of5-2

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on February 10, 2018, 01:59:39 pm
Just think if Nolan had gotten a practice facility, he could have won a National Champio.... oh wait.

From Tusk Till Dawn

Just thinking out loud here, seems like most fans would be more than happy winning >65% of the games in football [8] but in basketball we think that's mediocre.  We went to the SEC title game just last year and had the eventual nat champs on the ropes at the dance.  Maybe I'm just an eternal optimist concerning the hogs but I never count losses before they happen and I'm hopeful for each game.  Just feels like many think this season is over for some reason and take it out on MA but the reality is that none of our goals are out of reach.  Will we get to the big dance and make a run?  Maybe, maybe not, I don't know but thats why I watch.

elksnort

Quote from: HogBreath on February 10, 2018, 11:55:39 am
Oh the relentless under current!

Subtle and smooth. Like a cold Budweiser.