Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

We should be trying to get Macon and Barford 12 threes a game

Started by draftkings33, February 07, 2018, 12:56:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

draftkings33

Bacon_Bitz

This is a very good point.  I'd say 15 a game between Macon, Barford, and Jones. Other teams have outpaced us shooting lights out from 3 while we score 2's at the same clip.  This is how we lost the second LSU game.  If our FT shooting improved marginally and we shot more threes per game, this team would compete with nearly anybody.

Poker_hog

I would change that to open looks at three.  Both of those guys force contested 3s at times.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

jst01

If we could rebound, maybe.  But there would be too many defensive rebounds given up.

draftkings33

Quote from: jst01 on February 07, 2018, 01:47:35 pm
If we could rebound, maybe.  But there would be too many defensive rebounds given up.
You were bad at math in school I'm guessing?

draftkings33

Quote from: Bacon_Bitz on February 07, 2018, 01:35:51 pm
This is a very good point.  I'd say 15 a game between Macon, Barford, and Jones. Other teams have outpaced us shooting lights out from 3 while we score 2's at the same clip.  This is how we lost the second LSU game.  If our FT shooting improved marginally and we shot more threes per game, this team would compete with nearly anybody.
Oh Yea!

draftkings33

Quote from: Poker_hog on February 07, 2018, 01:39:18 pm
I would change that to open looks at three.  Both of those guys force contested 3s at times.
True but when you are shooting over 40 percent from 3 you get to shoot whatever you want pretty much

labb

Scoring is not our problem. Stopping the other team from scoring is our problem...If we have to score close to 90 to win, we are in trouble no matter how many threes we take.

draftkings33

Quote from: labb on February 07, 2018, 02:13:40 pm
Scoring is not our problem. Stopping the other team from scoring is our problem...If we have to score close to 90 to win, we are in trouble no matter how many threes we take.
True that's why we need more threes

jst01

Quote from: draftkings33 on February 07, 2018, 01:59:50 pm
You were bad at math in school I'm guessing?

well wouldn't you agree that we miss more 3's than we make, already?    So at the same make %, by taking more shots you would be missing more shots, and when you already don't rebound very well, you give up even more rebounds.  Not really a math calculation, just common sense.

draftkings33

Quote from: jst01 on February 07, 2018, 02:16:54 pm
well wouldn't you agree that we miss more 3's than we make, already?    So at the same make %, by taking more shots you would be missing more shots, and when you already don't rebound very well, you give up even more rebounds.  Not really a math calculation, just common sense.
No its simple math.  We average 1.2 points per possession on threes.  We average .8 ppp on twos.  So take more threes....  There is a reason the Rockets and Warriors are best teams in the NBA

Hopefully not in the last 5 seconds of the shot clock after dribbling for 20 straight seconds.

draftkings33

Quote from: Karma on February 07, 2018, 03:12:35 pm
Hopefully not in the last 5 seconds of the shot clock after dribbling for 20 straight seconds.
If it's Macon or Barford you do.  Both average over 1.1 points per possession on shots less than 4 seconds on the clock.  SO contrary to belief it would be a great strategy.  It's kind of like passing.  Everyone thinks the team that moves the ball the most is the better team.  In NBA the 6 teams that pass the most only 1 is in the top 15 teams in the NBA.  Of the 6 that pass the least all are top 10 teams. 

Cargill A. BullHog

I think Coach A proabably knows whats best for this team.  But, looking in from the outside, I think the more 3's Macon and Barford take the better.  We're only good when 1 of them is hot, we're great if theyre both hot.  But if they take more 3's it will open it up for Gafford down low, and for Miles to drive the lane.   Also, we should press a lot more, thats what our program is known for, the Fastest 40, we should take advantage of the fear that puts in opposing teams.  I think part of the problem is that Coach A is just too nice sometimes.  He doesn't have the scowl that Nolan did.  I hope he works on that mean face some this off season.  Go Hogs
I love my Razorbacks, Coach A, Coach M, Coach VH and all the players and fans.

East TN HAWG

Quote from: Poker_hog on February 07, 2018, 01:39:18 pm
I agree with this.  I would not mind seeing them take 40 three pointers per game if the shots were taking in space and and rhythm.  I don't like the one on one fade back contested threes.