Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bail out call at the end of regulation?

Started by Springfield_MO_Razorback, January 23, 2018, 09:48:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Springfield_MO_Razorback

First of all, great double OT win!  Macon happened to get the wizard sleeve late again. Loved that!

But am I the only one that did not agree with the foul on Gafford there at the end of the 4th? His feet were set out side of the circle and hands out of forcible contact. I damn near threw my glass at the tv when they called that. Should be an easy charge anywhere in the country right? Or am I blind or am I missing something here other than home bailouts?

Sorry if this has been discussed I haven't came across this yet on the forum tonight.

Springfield_MO_Razorback

Quote from: Springfield_MO_Razorback on January 23, 2018, 09:48:13 pm
First of all, great double OT win!  Macon happened to get the wizard sleeve late again. Loved that!

But am I the only one that did not agree with the foul on Gafford there at the end of the 4th? His feet were set out side of the circle and hands out of forcible contact. I damn near threw my glass at the tv when they called that. Should be an easy charge anywhere in the country right? Or am I blind or am I missing something here other than home bailouts? This game should not have went into overtime based on that call.

Sorry if this has been discussed I haven't came across this yet on the forum tonight.

rtr

If there was a foul it should have been called on Georgia.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

k.c.hawg

I looked at it again and it looked like he leaned to his right at the last second. At first I reversed to see if he was outside of the circle....then I'm like no he's out, he's out....then my son and I both said....damn he leaned towards the baseline!!
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

BannerMountainMan

What about the one where TT was blocking the guy out? What about the one where the dude spinned in the lane and nobody touched him (anticipated call) what about the one where he handed it to Macon? What about the one where Beard and Thompson were guarding Magen with the shot clock at 3 and jumped and shot it and we didn't touch him there?
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

ShadowHawg

It was clearly a foul, but when Barford blocked that layup, they blew the whistle before contact

Rawker

With the chaos in there all around..."on many sides," it should have been a no call.  It was a ticky ticky ticky crap call in that situation.  However, one could argue that there was more contact by Trey in the block on Maten, and they gave us that one.  It's amazing that they saw ANY kind of activity under the basket and DIDN'T call something on that play.  Lucky for us.  A game winning deal.  Or was that when Macon threw it away back to them on the inbounds?  Plenty of boneheadedness....on many sides....on many sides.

hogsanity

Quote from: Rawker on January 23, 2018, 10:20:39 pm
With the chaos in there all around..."on many sides," it should have been a no call.  It was a ticky ticky ticky crap call in that situation.  However, one could argue that there was more contact by Trey in the block on Maten, and they gave us that one.  It's amazing that they saw ANY kind of activity under the basket and DIDN'T call something on that play.  Lucky for us.  A game winning deal.  Or was that when Macon threw it away back to them on the inbounds?  Plenty of boneheadedness....on many sides....on many sides.

Well a no call and its still a tie cause the shot went in at least it was a and 1.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

ShadowHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on January 23, 2018, 11:29:02 pm
Well a no call and its still a tie cause the shot went in at least it was a and 1.

No. Claxton travelled so bad it would have been called. He got so excited he took 4 steps in only 3 feet of space.

JayHog

I went back and watched it while waiting on overtime. Because I thought the same thing, like, "What?!!  That was a charge!" 
In reviewing it, Gafford had his feet set, and Gafford was outside of the circle. Having said that, he did try to sell the classic Rodman flop. And Rodman was a master at it.
But even though he tried to sell it, it certainly wasn't a foul on Gafford. Like I said, his feet were set. If anything, it was either a charge or a "play on".

niels_boar

Beard got called for one foul because it is apparently against the rules to stand in the lane with your hands up and watch a guy try a spinning layup.  The most egregious bad call against us was that foul on Thompson for blocking out Maten. It could have cost us the game. 
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

pigture perfect

The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Pigasaurus

Quote from: ShadowHawg on January 23, 2018, 10:19:10 pm
It was clearly a foul, but when Barford blocked that layup, they blew the whistle before contact
Thought the same thing.
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

DeltaBoy

Officials for Basketball are Worse than those in Football and that saying something!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

rljjr

Quote from: niels_boar on January 24, 2018, 12:13:13 am
Beard got called for one foul because it is apparently against the rules to stand in the lane with your hands up and watch a guy try a spinning layup.  The most egregious bad call against us was that foul on Thompson for blocking out Maten. It could have cost us the game. 

I saw that one on Beard. There was no contact. None. I feel like there could have been a few more like that. The blocking out was a terrible call of all terrible calls. That's why I'm completely shocked there was no foul on Thompson or Thomas (they could have picked either just for giggles) at the end against Maten. Shocked. That's what's so infuriating -- the inconsistency.

bighog2255

I didn't love the call, but Gafford (for some reason) leaned to his right as he was falling down and made a little contact. I wish officials would swallow their whistle in that late game situation, but there was a little contact.

I know it's a Hogville tradition to point out all the bad calls against Arkansas, but there were a few that went in our favor as well. The "and-1" where Beard fell to the floor because he extended his elbow into the defender comes to mind.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Rawker on January 23, 2018, 10:20:39 pm
However, one could argue that there was more contact by Trey in the block on Maten, and they gave us that one.

Yes, they did.  That was an obvious foul.  Significant contact to the head and shoulder of the shooter.  The next time someone wants to start a "the refs always screw us" thread they need to watch that play over and over.  It was probably the difference between winning and losing, considering an 85% shooter would have been on the line shooting two with 2.2 seconds left in a one point game.

The play on which Gafford simply backed over a defender but the foul went against Georgia was another egregious call.

The point is that in any game there are going to be questionable calls, maybe even downright bad calls.  Some go for you, some against.  Always thinking that the refs have it in for Arkansas, or even that the calls always go against Arkansas, is unreasonable.  It was hard to watch games with my dad because he always thought the refs were screwing Arkansas.  Every time, every game.  It was unreasonable then and it is now.

Cotton

Quote from: k.c.hawg on January 23, 2018, 09:56:15 pm
I looked at it again and it looked like he leaned to his right at the last second. At first I reversed to see if he was outside of the circle....then I'm like no he's out, he's out....then my son and I both said....damn he leaned towards the baseline!!
Yeah he leaned into him and then flopped... If he didn't flop I think it would've been a no-call either way.

Good block call.
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

razobak

Honestly, aside from those calls (the Gafford "block" at the end of regulation, the Thompson foul and the Beard foul), I thought it was mostly a well-officiated game. There are games where I feel like the officials interfere with the flow of the game and call too many ticky-tack fouls, and this was not one of those games. As far as road games in the SEC go, I thought the refs weren't that bad.

However, if we'd have lost due to that Gafford blocking foul, I'd have lost my sh it.
Go Hogs, Beat Refs!

rmcchris

I felt he leaned his shoulder/upper body at the last.  He was set with his feet and didn't move them or his lower body.

hogsanity

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 24, 2018, 08:31:17 am
Yes, they did.  That was an obvious foul.  Significant contact to the head and shoulder of the shooter.  The next time someone wants to start a "the refs always screw us" thread they need to watch that play over and over.  It was probably the difference between winning and losing, considering an 85% shooter would have been on the line shooting two with 2.2 seconds left in a one point game.

The play on which Gafford simply backed over a defender but the foul went against Georgia was another egregious call.

The point is that in any game there are going to be questionable calls, maybe even downright bad calls.  Some go for you, some against.  Always thinking that the refs have it in for Arkansas, or even that the calls always go against Arkansas, is unreasonable.  It was hard to watch games with my dad because he always thought the refs were screwing Arkansas.  Every time, every game.  It was unreasonable then and it is now.

Get that reasonable crap outta here. You know darn well every basketball official in college ball has it in for Mike.

Seriously, I could not believe they called GA for a blocking foul when Gafford initiated contact, no call, then the defender re-set and Gafford just trucked him.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

ShadowHawg

I thought the game was called pretty well given the physical nature game.

The only call I took issue with was a no call where Barford took an intentional shot to his throat and head while trying to steal an inbounds pass. That play should have been reviewed but was completely ignored.

The real Hogules

Quote from: hogsanity on January 24, 2018, 09:35:45 am
Get that reasonable crap outta here. You know darn well every basketball official in college ball has it in for Mike.

Seriously, I could not believe they called GA for a blocking foul when Gafford initiated contact, no call, then the defender re-set and Gafford just trucked him.

Yes, but just prior to the call Maten was all over the back of Gafford, trying to shove Gafford farther from the basket. The official should have blown the whistle then, but swallowed his whistle and that's what caused Gafford to "try" and get physical with his opponent. The initial contact prior to Gafford receiving the pass is what should have been called.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

hawginbigd1

Beard call was bad, TT call was correct you can't displace a player like he did and not be called. Blocking out does not involve moving a player.
The Gafford call should be a play on, it was definitely not a charge because DG had to lean to create contact, i just didn't think there was enough contact to warrant a foul.

USChog

Quote from: ShadowHawg on January 23, 2018, 10:19:10 pm

This is exactly what I said last night! The official blew the whistle before any contact was made. He just assumed Barford would foul him, and there was slight contact but it looked like a premature call and a pretty good block.

hogsanity

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on January 24, 2018, 11:24:42 am

The Gafford call should be a play on, it was definitely not a charge because DG had to lean to create contact,

So the defender leaned into the offensive player and created contact while he was going to the basket but you think it should have been a play on? Lets see if you feel that way the next time Macon or Barford is heading in and they get leaned into and it is a no call.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: hogsanity on January 24, 2018, 12:17:21 pm
So the defender leaned into the offensive player and created contact while he was going to the basket but you think it should have been a play on? Lets see if you feel that way the next time Macon or Barford is heading in and they get leaned into and it is a no call.
Its a contact sport, not all contact is a foul as I would think you would know.

hogsanity

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on January 24, 2018, 12:20:11 pm
Its a contact sport, not all contact is a foul as I would think you would know.

That is true, but it is if the defender leans into a guy who is in the air, shooting or driving to the basket.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: hogsanity on January 24, 2018, 12:25:41 pm
That is true, but it is if the defender leans into a guy who is in the air, shooting or driving to the basket.
Agree, but IMO there was not enough contact to impede the player, so let it go and play on.

Dwight_K_Shrute

The one with Beard was horrible.  The look on his face said it all.  Standing there still as a statue hands straight up.  I mean damn what else is a players supposed to do. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

HogFansReunited

He leaned into it a little which is why it was called against us. The blocking foul on Beard was a very bad call, I didn't see any contact at all and if there was some, Beard was completely set. The foul called on Thompson when he was blocking out was the worst call I have seen this year. I have no idea what the official saw there to even think about calling a foul.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568