Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Now that the dust has settled

Started by Hogsolo, January 04, 2018, 05:48:26 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Porknoxville

Quote from: GuvHog on January 04, 2018, 08:43:45 am
You think wrong. Norvell turned down Ole Miss and told both Tennessee and Arizona State not to bother making him an offer. Memphis offered him a 3 million dollar extension and the only job he would have left Memphis for is Arkansas. There was only 1 reason he didn't get the job and it had nothing to do with anything in his past. It had everything to do with the guy who is Chad Morris's mentor.

I'm cautiously optimistic about Chad Morris and I believe he'll do very well.
So is your glass half empty or half full?
Go hogs!

theFlyingHog

Quote from: IAMHogholio on January 04, 2018, 05:48:26 am
After the frustration and the drama of the search and misinformation, I have to admit that I'm really sad we didn't hire Norvell.   I think Morris is a really good coach and I am excited to have him, but I have to admit I really wanted Norvell.

Did Coach Morris play the right notes with the PTB's and win the interview?  Being a little older did he relate to the mucks better than the young stud?  I'd really like the skinny here if it's available.

I know we will be vastly improved after CCM finds the players who want to play for him.  Buying in will be a big hurdle with players in love with CBB.  Once any toxic attitudes are filtered out he can start flying.  That's the only reason I feel a little trepidation for 2018.   It'd be that way under any new HC, this isn't a criticism.

Probably have to wait until 2020 for us to really start rolling.   It happens when a leadership change occurs.

Only once in my lifetime of Hog HC hires have we ever hired a coach I was über excited to have the job.   Norvell would have been the second hire.  I really am disappointed we missed an opportunity to hire a young, great coach "all in" on Arkansas.

Sorry to break the momentum of the board.   Just really needed to get that off my chest to close the door on "I like Mike."

Now onto the Chad Pad.  GHG.
There was a lot in your post I disagreed with; and i considered blasting you for them. Then I saw the part about breaking the momentum of the board and I can't stop laughing. Moron

GuvHog

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on January 04, 2018, 09:18:37 am
Mentor? I assume you mean Gus, is that right? I have seen people call him a Gus clone and I have heard people say that Gus allegedly recommended him to the board (which sounds ridiculous to me) but this is the first time I have seen use of “mentor” anywhere.

Can you fill me in a bit on their shared history? Where/how did Gus mentor Morris? I really don’t know much they share other than a high school background and a spread offense that uses a lot hunh.

You are correct. Early in his high school coaching career, Morris was running the I formation and was in danger of losing his job. He then met with Gus and Gus taught the offense he ran at Springdale to Morris verbatim. Morris implemented Gus's offense at his high school to great success. Gus and Morris are still close friends and it is true that Gus recommended him for the Arkansas job. Gus Malzahn is Chad Morris's mentor.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

GuvHog

Quote from: Porknoxville on January 04, 2018, 09:45:24 am
So is your glass half empty or half full?
Go hogs!

More like three fourths full. I'm cautiously optimistic and looking forward to seeing what Coach Morris can do with this team.

Athog

After the frustration and the drama of the search and misinformation, I have to admit that I'm really sad we didn't hire Norvell.   I think Morris is a really good coach and I am excited to have him, but I have to admit I really wanted Norvell.

Did Coach Morris play the right notes with the PTB's and win the interview?  Being a little older did he relate to the mucks better than the young stud?  I'd really like the skinny here if it's available.

I know we will be vastly improved after CCM finds the players who want to play for him.  Buying in will be a big hurdle with players in love with CBB.  Once any toxic attitudes are filtered out he can start flying.  That's the only reason I feel a little trepidation for 2018.   It'd be that way under any new HC, this isn't a criticism.

Probably have to wait until 2020 for us to really start rolling.   It happens when a leadership change occurs.

Only once in my lifetime of Hog HC hires have we ever hired a coach I was über excited to have the job.   Norvell would have been the second hire.  I really am disappointed we missed an opportunity to hire a young, great coach "all in" on Arkansas.

Sorry to break the momentum of the board.   Just really needed to get that off my chest to close the door on "I like Mike."

Good honest post. I am just the opposite and think Chad Morris was the better hire. With that said both are good. I think Chad will up the recruiting quickly when he gets his staff in place. Only time will tell.

GuvHog

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 04, 2018, 09:06:54 am
False...false...false...  People like you are the reason that sources cannot be trusted.

No, what I said is true. You just can't handle it. Norvell turned Ole Miss down then told Arizona State and Tennessee not to bother offering him their jobs. He wanted only one job and that was Arkansas. It's not a coincidence that he signed his 3 million dollar extension with Memphis the day the news leak that Chad would be hired by Arkansas.

GuvHog

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 04, 2018, 09:10:54 am
Wrong...wrong...wrong

http://www.clemsontigers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=209389765

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clemson_Tigers_football

I don't care what they say. It is a fact that the run-pass option was not added until AFTER Morris left and if you'd do the research you'd know that. They are not running Morris's offense.

hogsanity

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on January 04, 2018, 09:42:20 am
So he knows things...

but does he drink?

He is like drunk uncle on SNL, " knows" the inside story on EVERYTHING, so I'd guess yes, but having never met him, it is just a guess.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

southeasthog

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 04, 2018, 09:05:58 am
Even a broken clock is right twice a day, but not you Guv, you are never right.

Riddle me this Wrong Man...How did Norvell get credit for Fuente's success, when he was at Arizona St from 2012-2015?

Fuente
2013 Memphis 3–9 1–7
2014 Memphis 10–3 7–1
2015 Memphis 9–3 5–3

Norvell
2016 Memphis 8–5 5–3 
2017 Memphis 10–3 7–1

I'm still waiting on Guv to respond to this.

MemphisBossHog

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 04, 2018, 08:04:02 am
Looks pretty close to just maintaining.

Fuente
2013 Memphis 3–9 1–7
2014 Memphis 10–3 7–1
2015 Memphis 9–3 5–3

Norvell
2016 Memphis 8–5 5–3 
2017 Memphis 10–3 7–1
yes, those numbers do make it look that way, but I can tell you this--Norvell's 10-3 team this year is much better than Fuente's 10-3 team in 2014.  The caliber of athlete that is at MEM now is higher than with Fuente and that is what I mean by building upon.  MEM went down to the wire with UCF in basically a home game for UCF for the conference championship and that was as well as Auburn did against them.  I dont want to get into "transitive properties" of college football wins and all that.  All I mean is Norvell's team this year could play with a lot of the big schools. Notice I didnt say beat.  I just said play with, be competitive with.  Fuente's 2014 team although also 10-3, could not do so.  Norvell has upgraded the talent level at MEM to a place it hasnt been maybe ever.  He is recruiting kids that normally would not come to MEM.   This is what got me excited about him for Arkansas.  As I said back when the search was going on, dont tell me a guy is a great recruiter because he can recruit to Clemson or LSU or Auburn or Georgia.   Plenty of coaches can do that.  Its easy to pick up the phone and get a recruit to talk to you if you are from one of those schools, but show me a guy who can get a player who could go to an SEC school to instead go to Memphis and that is sure fire recruiter.

But I do get the skepticism and I am becoming perfectly happy with Morris as long as he produces the recruits from Texas because that is the edge I saw him having over Norvell.  Im excited to see how CCM's system will work in the SEC with Arkansas talent.

MemphisBossHog

Quote from: GuvHog on January 04, 2018, 09:59:22 am
No, what I said is true. You just can't handle it. Norvell turned Ole Miss down then told Arizona State and Tennessee not to bother offering him their jobs. He wanted only one job and that was Arkansas. It's not a coincidence that he signed his 3 million dollar extension with Memphis the day the news leak that Chad would be hired by Arkansas.
not to get in the middle of all this but the above statement is probably pretty close to the truth.  Ole Miss did want him. I have Ole Miss fans who are friends and they will tell you they wanted him.  His wife is from Fort Smith.  We all know his bio.  His in laws have a house on Beaver Lake.  I think he might have one now.  He had told a sports writer here in Memphis a while back that Arkansas was a job that he could see himself ending up at down the line.  Lets be real. He wanted the job. He almost got it, but CCM was just a little more attractive to the Arkansas PTB and Norvell lost out, so he signed his extension on the day we all found out CCM would be the Ark head coach. For whatever reason, Ark was the only job he would leave what he was building at MEM for.

GuvHog

Quote from: southeasthog on January 04, 2018, 10:21:26 am
I’m still waiting on Guv to respond to this.

It's really quite simple. Norvell taught Fuente the offense he ran at Memphis and the offense he now runs at Virginia Tech Verbatim.

d3maybe

Quote from: MemphisBossHog on January 04, 2018, 10:24:08 am
yes, those numbers do make it look that way, but I can tell you this--Norvell's 10-3 team this year is much better than Fuente's 10-3 team in 2014.  The caliber of athlete that is at MEM now is higher than with Fuente and that is what I mean by building upon.  MEM went down to the wire with UCF in basically a home game for UCF for the conference championship and that was as well as Auburn did against them.  I dont want to get into "transitive properties" of college football wins and all that.  All I mean is Norvell's team this year could play with a lot of the big schools. Notice I didnt say beat.  I just said play with, be competitive with.  Fuente's 2014 team although also 10-3, could not do so.  Norvell has upgraded the talent level at MEM to a place it hasnt been maybe ever.  He is recruiting kids that normally would not come to MEM.   This is what got me excited about him for Arkansas.  As I said back when the search was going on, dont tell me a guy is a great recruiter because he can recruit to Clemson or LSU or Auburn or Georgia.   Plenty of coaches can do that.  Its easy to pick up the phone and get a recruit to talk to you if you are from one of those schools, but show me a guy who can get a player who could go to an SEC school to instead go to Memphis and that is sure fire recruiter.

But I do get the skepticism and I am becoming perfectly happy with Morris as long as he produces the recruits from Texas because that is the edge I saw him having over Norvell.  Im excited to see how CCM's system will work in the SEC with Arkansas talent.

Nobody I've seen post has said Norvell isn't a "good" coach and recruiter... and it doesn't matter if his team is better than the Fuente's teams or not the point is he stepped into a program that was doing quite well when he got there. To say Norvell has "Built" anything is beyond a stretch... SMU on the other has....as has been pointed out MANY times...was a smoldering pile of ashes and while not 10-3 SMU also went toe to toe with UCF this year and TCU. So to say CCM can "build" a program is NOT a stretch...he has done it.

As far as the "mentor" thing...There are several video's on You Tube with Chad himself explaining the relationship with Gus. I've watched them all several times and I don't get "Mentor" out of it at all... Chad came to Springdale to talk football with Gus and used what he learned to shape his own offense. Its certainly not a carbon copy...or verbatim at least that's what CHAD said...but apparently Guv was in on the conversations between Gus and Chad back then and remembers better than Chad does.

HeathWimp

We definitely took the safe way out with Morris.  We are going to regret this hire, sooner rather than later I think.  SMU was not in as bad a condition as people are saying.  June Jones won there at a higher level than Morris ever did.  Also, Morris did absolutely squat with the recruiting opportunity he had.  I know, I know, it was only 10 days or so, but if he was a great recruiter, I think we would have seen him sway at least some high-level guys.  We'll see what he does in the spring, but I'm not hopeful.  Lastly, I don't think I even need to bring up his defenses, lol.

Norvell may have had some baggage, but hard to believe it is anything that crippling, or Memphis would not have extended him.  At a school like Arkansas, we have to take some chances to be successful, and we missed our chance with Norvell.  I guess our brand is still "Integrity Above All," so we couldn't take any risks at all with this hire.
11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"

GuvHog

Quote from: MemphisBossHog on January 04, 2018, 10:30:50 am
not to get in the middle of all this but the above statement is probably pretty close to the truth.  Ole Miss did want him. I have Ole Miss fans who are friends and they will tell you they wanted him.  His wife is from Fort Smith.  We all know his bio.  His in laws have a house on Beaver Lake.  I think he might have one now.  He had told a sports writer here in Memphis a while back that Arkansas was a job that he could see himself ending up at down the line.  Lets be real. He wanted the job. He almost got it, but CCM was just a little more attractive to the Arkansas PTB and Norvell lost out, so he signed his extension on the day we all found out CCM would be the Ark head coach. For whatever reason, Ark was the only job he would leave what he was building at MEM for.

Thanks for the back up, I appreciate it but it will no doubt fall on deaf ears because some on here can't accept the truth.

Paul

Norvell was my 1st choice by a long shot.  I've watched him since he got to Memphis.  I think he'll be a star at a P5 school.  I believe the PTB wanted CM for whatever reason(maybe the rumors about JJ & his grandson are true).  Might makes Right.  Whatever the reason they chose CM over MN the result is we have a coach & I hope he's so successful that he stays here the rest of his career.

Hardcore Hoggy

farmhawg

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on January 04, 2018, 07:32:54 am
Glad we didn't get Norvell. 
This And he couldn't pass vetting. We don't need that here.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GuvHog on January 04, 2018, 08:34:27 am
Yes, it does look that way if one ignores the fact that Norvell is directly responsible for Fuente's success. Norvell taught Fuente the offense he ran at Memphis and currently runs at Virginia Tech verbatim.

Oh really? Then explain to us how that happened when they NEVER have coached together anywhere.................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Al Boarland on January 04, 2018, 09:24:15 am
The people who sat in on the interviews and vetted CCM don't know if they got it right either. The wrong coaching hire is made much more often than the right one.

Yet they sure as heck have more information to go on than a bunch of internet posters.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hogsanity on January 04, 2018, 09:37:49 am
Nope and I don't claim to either. Guv claims to be be an authority on EVERYTHING and EVERYONE. He KNOWS Norvell will only leave Memphis for Arkansas. He KNOWS who will be the next governor, senator, potus, dali lama. He KNOWS where Hoffa is buried. 

At this point i'm starting to think Guv IS Hoffa. It's a strategy to hide out. Disappear, make people think you are dead, post stuff on the internet so dumb nobody would ever think you are the same person. Actually Guv might be brilliant with that strategy.

GuvHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 04, 2018, 12:00:35 pm
Oh really? Then explain to us how that happened when they NEVER have coached together anywhere.................

I've explained it 3 times in this thread alone, for cryin' out loud.

When Fuente first arrived at Memphis, He went to Arizona State to meet with Norvell and Norvell taught Fuente his offense verbatim. Fuente ran Norvell's offense at Memphis and is now running it at Virginia Tech. Fuente recommended Norvell for the Memphis HC job to return the favor when he left for VTech.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: GuvHog on January 04, 2018, 12:30:00 pm

When Fuente first arrived at Memphis, He went to Arizona State to meet with Norvell and Norvell taught Fuente his offense verbatim. Fuente ran Norvell's offense at Memphis and is now running it at Virginia Tech. Fuente recommended Norvell for the Memphis HC job to return the favor when he left for VTech.

Well, this does seem simple enough.

GuvHog

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on January 04, 2018, 12:32:39 pm
Well, this does seem simple enough.

It is simple. The Virginia Tech offense that beat Arkansas in the Belk Bowl after the 2016 season was Mike Norvell's offense.

Tusks

Not to get in the middle of this but I heard an interview with CM on the radio and he said he talks to Gus once a week.  He said he counseled with Gus before he took the job and that Gus was thrilled CM got the job back in GM home state.

CM learned what he knows about offense from GM.

sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

kp72204

January 04, 2018, 12:45:05 pm #75 Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 01:13:09 pm by kp72204

Who was the coach? Also after the fact I think I would have liked Scott Frost.

Tusks

Quote from: GuvHog on January 04, 2018, 12:30:00 pm

This can be confirmed with anyone who knows of the googles.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

racinghog

Quote from: kp72204 on January 04, 2018, 12:45:05 pm
Who was the coach? Also after te fact I think I would have liked Scott Frost.
Scott Frost was the best hire this silly season.

Hardcore Hoggy

Quote from: kp72204 on January 04, 2018, 12:45:05 pm
Who was the coach? Also after te fact I think I would have liked Scott Frost.

I'm gonna go ahead and say that anyone who claims they weren't excited when Nutt was firest announced is probably lying as well. MOST people thought he was going to work out well when he was hired.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hardcore Hoggy on January 04, 2018, 12:48:52 pm
I'm gonna go ahead and say that anyone who claims they weren't excited when Nutt was firest announced is probably lying as well. MOST people thought he was going to work out well when he was hired.

Some people were furious......................

MasterChiefHog

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on January 04, 2018, 09:42:20 am
So he knows things...

but does he drink?
I got this one! I need to get one of those shirts!
Quote from: oldman1015 on December 28, 2017, 11:40:00 am
Having a bad day or always a dick?
Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on December 06, 2019, 09:39:55 am
Sorry fo any misspells or paragraph s. I m on a scaffold.
Quote from: Hogwild on October 18, 2018, 08:23:47 amSince we are being optimistic, let's go full tilt boogie! If we win out, Ole Miss wins out, and Bama loses out. Then all we need is Miss. State to win against LSU & Texas A&M, and then have the Aggies upset LSU. 
And then we are hanging an SEC WEST Champion banner.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 04, 2018, 12:50:54 pm
Some people were furious......................

Absolutely I was.  My posting history on whatever board was up and going at the time will show it.

MasterChiefHog

Quote from: racinghog on January 04, 2018, 12:48:29 pm
Scott Frost was the best hire this silly season.
+1. I can't wait to see Nebraska get back to making waves. Not a fan but to watch anyone beat OU/Texas is good TV for me.
Quote from: oldman1015 on December 28, 2017, 11:40:00 am
Having a bad day or always a dick?
Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on December 06, 2019, 09:39:55 am
Sorry fo any misspells or paragraph s. I m on a scaffold.
Quote from: Hogwild on October 18, 2018, 08:23:47 amSince we are being optimistic, let's go full tilt boogie! If we win out, Ole Miss wins out, and Bama loses out. Then all we need is Miss. State to win against LSU & Texas A&M, and then have the Aggies upset LSU. 
And then we are hanging an SEC WEST Champion banner.

hobhog

Quote from: GuvHog on January 04, 2018, 09:59:22 am

Complete conjecture. So Norvell is going to stay at Memphis and wait for the job at UA to open up in 4-10 years?

I think the next year or two will show how wrong you are but no one will care....

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: MasterChiefHog on January 04, 2018, 12:54:39 pm
+1. I can't wait to see Nebraska get back to making waves. Not a fan but to watch anyone beat OU/Texas is good TV for me.

You do know Nebraska is in the B1G now.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: hobhog on January 04, 2018, 12:57:27 pm
Complete conjecture. So Norvell is going to stay at Memphis and wait for the job at UA to open up in 4-10 years?

I think the next year or two will show how wrong you are but no one will care....

I didn't read all of Guv's posts in this thread, but I didn't see where he said anything about Norvell waiting on the Arkansas post to open up in the future.

Guv may be full of crap but I believe he is at least in the neighborhood of being right about Gus and Chad.  BELOW IS THE BASIS OF WHAT I LEARNED FROM AN INTERVIEW I STUMBLED ONTO SEVERAL WEEKS AGO.

I saw an interview on my computer, (it was bouncing around Hogville, because I am too computer stupid to find it by myself), with a Guy that looks just like Chad Morris and claimed to be Chad Morris.  Morris said he was the HC at Stephenville HS in Stephenville, Texas where football success is demanded.  He was having success but then fell off.  He believed his system needed changes.  I do not recall if he said what offense he was running, just that change was needed.  He had heard about some coach in Arkansas who operated the HUNH and a different offense with that.  He and his staff, at their own expense, went to a playoff game in Arkansas where this coach, Gus Malzahn, was coaching the game.  He liked what he saw and was able to meet Gus after the game for a minute.  Said Gus was busy and wasn't warm in the meeting.  He went back to Texas a bit disappointed, only to return the next weekend for the next game Gus coached.  Still not a warn relationship.  Finally he called Gus and he believed Gus finally took him serious about changing to his offense.  Following that, Gus filled him in, he utilized the Gus system, added a few things of his own and indicated he then started winning again at Stephenville. 

Then in another article, also bouncing around Hogville, Dabo said when Chad decided to leave Clemson for SMU, he had to make a decision and his decision was to upgrade 2 of the offensive assistants who had worked under Chad because he wanted to keep the ideas Chad brought to the offense.  They took Chad's playbook and started going through it.  Confused, they decided to just work on the first 200 pages of the book because they just didn't have time to absorb the other 400 pages at that time.  Anyway, according to Dabo, the roots of what they do on offense is pure Chad Morris.

BEFORE YOU ASK, NO, I DON'T KNOW HOW OR WHERE TO FIND THIS INFO.  BUT BOTH STORIES WERE ASSOCIATED WITH HOGVILLE A FEW WEEKS AGO.  YOU MIGHT TRY GOOGLING MORRIS OR SWINNEY IF YOU ARE REALLY INTERESTED.

It has been my personal opinion that Gus recommended Chad to Arkansas.  I have no basis other than they are friends it would seem.

GuvHog

Quote from: hobhog on January 04, 2018, 12:57:27 pm

It is not conjecture. The only job Norvell wanted was the Arkansas job. Besides, making 3 million a year plus incentives and perks at Memphis is nothing to sneeze at. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him leave Memphis for more money in the next few years because Memphis can't afford to go much higher on his salary to keep him. I just hope he doesn't end up at another SEC school that the Hogs have to play.

Hogindasticks

Too Bad, it wasn't Norvell.......Sorry...you lost.  It wasn't Norvell......

HogginUp

Quote from: HeathWimp on January 04, 2018, 10:53:04 am
We definitely took the safe way out with Morris.  We are going to regret this hire, sooner rather than later I think.  SMU was not in as bad a condition as people are saying.
June Jones won there at a higher level than Morris ever did.  Also, Morris did absolutely squat with the recruiting opportunity he had.  I know, I know, it was only 10 days or so, but if he was a great recruiter, I think we would have seen him sway at least some high-level guys.  We'll see what he does in the spring, but I'm not hopeful.  Lastly, I don't think I even need to bring up his defenses, lol.

Norvell may have had some baggage, but hard to believe it is anything that crippling, or Memphis would not have extended him.  At a school like Arkansas, we have to take some chances to be successful, and we missed our chance with Norvell.  I guess our brand is still "Integrity Above All," so we couldn't take any risks at all with this hire.
Chad took over a team that won one game the previous season. Didn't June give up and walk after Week 2? He had put zero effort into recruiting his final 1-2 years. SMU had numerous players whose sole DI offer was from June. That's the mess Chad inherited.

GuvHog

Quote from: HogginUp on January 04, 2018, 01:08:02 pm
Chad took over a team that won one game the previous season. Didn't June give up and walk after Week 2? He had put zero effort into recruiting his final 1-2 years. SMU had numerous players whose sole DI offer was from June. That's the mess Chad inherited.

Look at SMU's record the year before June Jones left. The program wasn't in the mess that you want to believe it was in.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GuvHog on January 04, 2018, 01:04:00 pm
It is not conjecture. The only job Norvell wanted was the Arkansas job. Besides, making 3 million a year plus incentives and perks at Memphis is nothing to sneeze at. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him leave Memphis for more money in the next few years because Memphis can't afford to go much higher on his salary to keep him. I just hope he doesn't end up at another SEC school that the Hogs have to play.

Except he is not making $3 million a year and he sure as heck didn't before the contract extension and raise he just signed. Here it is straight from the Memphis Commercial Appeal:

"Mike Norvell agreed Tuesday to a five-year, $13 million contract extension to remain the Memphis football coach. According to two people with direct knowledge of the agreement, Norvell's new contract runs through the 2022 season. He signed the new deal Tuesday. The extension also increased his salary pool for assistant coaches and football staff by $250,000 to $3.01 million. That $3.01 million is divided between Norvell's nine assistant coaches and additional members of the program's staff."

The only thing I see there that mentions $3 million is the assistant coaches pool. And just so you'll know the math Guv that 5 years for $13 million is $400,00 per year short of $3 million per year. That's a fairly large amount.

ricepig

Quote from: Hardcore Hoggy on January 04, 2018, 11:48:43 am
VERBATIM

that settles that.

Guv's new word for the day, probably picked it up watching AETN today.

Hardcore Hoggy

Quote from: ricepig on January 04, 2018, 01:21:59 pm

He's still a better poster than 50% of the guys in the politics forum.............

PonderinHog

Or he opened his A: drive and there it was!

Inhogswetrust

Naw he doesn't watch that. He watches Oprah.

GuvHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 04, 2018, 01:17:17 pm
Except he is not making $3 million a year and he sure as heck didn't before the contract extension and raise he just signed. Here it is straight from the Memphis Commercial Appeal:

"Mike Norvell agreed Tuesday to a five-year, $13 million contract extension to remain the Memphis football coach. According to two people with direct knowledge of the agreement, Norvell’s new contract runs through the 2022 season. He signed the new deal Tuesday. The extension also increased his salary pool for assistant coaches and football staff by $250,000 to $3.01 million. That $3.01 million is divided between Norvell's nine assistant coaches and additional members of the program's staff."

The only thing I see there that mentions $3 million is the assistant coaches pool. And just so you'll know the math Guv that 5 years for $13 million is $400,00 per year short of $3 million per year. That's a fairly large amount.

With incentives and perks, he'll make at least 3 million a year.

GuvHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 04, 2018, 01:24:18 pm
Naw he doesn't watch that. He watches Oprah.

When Hades freezes over. I can't stand that woman.

I'm not an AETN watcher either.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GuvHog on January 04, 2018, 01:24:34 pm
With incentives and perks, he'll make at least 3 million a year.

That's NOT what you said. You said $3 million PLUS incentives and perks. Even if it is that much there is no guarantee he will get all those incentives and perks.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GuvHog on January 04, 2018, 01:26:08 pm
When Hades freezes over. I can't stand that woman.

I'm not an AETN watcher either.

OK. Maybe it was Ellen then. You might try AETN. It's educational....................It'd be good for you.