Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Welp, it's pretty obvious we have no depth

Started by bigpigpimpin, December 30, 2017, 12:34:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HawgnCorona

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on December 30, 2017, 12:34:18 pm
Nothing out of our bench. Absolutely nothing...except turnovers.

OP what good do you have to say for self?  In spite of the TO, they found a way to WIN...
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

sowmonella

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on December 30, 2017, 02:51:38 pm
Nah just truthful. Bench was awful, big man disappeared. Beard went full re.....well you know. Barford and Macon dropped 61. Saved us.
Can't just admit to being wrong?
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

HogFansReunited

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on December 30, 2017, 03:06:49 pm
Tickled to death with the win. But, got to get some help from the bench. We scored 95 points. Our bench scored 5 points. Tennessee bench outscored ours 33-5. Got to get some help.

Our bench had a bad game but that usually isn't the case. If you have watched the team much this year at all, you would know this.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

popcornhog

Tickled to death with the win. But, got to get some help from the bench. We scored 95 points. Our bench scored 5 points. Tennessee bench outscored ours 33-5. Got to get some help.

It was one game. We have a very talented second unit that has played an important role in getting us to 11-2.

If our bench was averaging 5 per game, turning the ball over a lot, and looking lathargic for the better part of 13 games, I'd be concerned. Fortunately that's not the case.
WPS

LJHOG

That crappy bench (they ain't that bad) takes up minutes which allows our starters to finish like they did today.  So a couple of young players didn't like All-Americans in their first college game.  The fact we won despite that indicates we are pretty fair team, IMO.

Atlhogfan1

I'm going reserve judgment on the bench.  As shown today, intensity, preparation for us and opposing talent has stepped up from most of what we have faced.

Jones can score.  Streaky.

Hall and Cook can help defensively.

Concerned about the drop off from Gafford to Thompson especially athleticism and quickness and what that does to us. 

If Beard, Barford, Macon and Gafford have to play big minutes every game, that isn't the system.

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Hook 'em Hogs

The bench has been solid all year.

When Macon turns in an 8 point game, we don't say he's a liability. It won't be perfect all the time.  The BIG thing we saw today was that we had the star power to overcome poor bench play. Earlier this season, our bench has bailed out our starters.  Well. Rounded. Team. 

Danny J

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 30, 2017, 02:54:10 pm
We didn't get much help from the bench today except they managed to keep us in reach till Macon, Barford and Gafford could bring it home.  In a way, that is their job.  But they did only contribute 5 points.  And we have a huge hole in the frontcourt without Gafford.  Teams spread us and Thompson can't cover enough.
This ^^^ topic deserves it's own thread. I know I am not the coach but IF I could make one change on this team it would be that Thomas comes in to play the 5 when Gafford goes out and start either Bailey or Cook at the 4. I would only play Trey when absolutely necessary ESPECIALLY when we play our usual switching man to man.

hoglady

WE WON!!
And I don't care who did it or how we did it.
It was fun as hell to watch that comeback.
I love this team - we found a way to win a game we probably should have lost.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

pghawg1

Some of these posts are amazing and stupid. PEOPLE we won the DAMN GAME , TENNER IS ranked in top 20. Quit Moaning about everything and enjoy the Win.

Nosboar Accubond

Quote from: sowmonella on December 30, 2017, 03:35:16 pm
Can't just admit to being wrong?
He ain't wrong... bench was out scored 33-5 (I think, close to that...)

k.c.hawg

Sure is funny to be away and look at a thread after the fact. Some of the same scum bags that only post during supposed losses throwing the coach and players under the bus. The fact is.....with #19 coming into our house for our first SEC game you were going to get a huge dose of Macon, Barford and Beard. Gafford probably goes for his most minutes this season. Our Senior guards go for 71 in a huge game  and people are screaming about depth.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

rude1

Quote from: Nosboar Accubond on December 30, 2017, 04:05:08 pm
But he would rather point that out than a team that trailed nearly the whole game, digging down deep inside with the fans driving to finally erase that deficit, get the game into overtime, then make a run that puts the game away for us, while the fans were going crazy? Yeah I think talking about how bad the bench played is appropriate right now.....

hogsmash12

That Tennessee team was the most athletic team we've played to date and that #4 RPI is for real.  That was a great team we beat.  It's not Januay yet and this team is learning to win.  Hold onto your hog hats because this is going to be a fun ride.

Fan701

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 30, 2017, 03:43:48 pm
I'm going reserve judgment on the bench.  As shown today, intensity, preparation for us and opposing talent has stepped up from most of what we have faced.

Concerned about the drop off from Gafford to Thompson especially athleticism and quickness and what that does to us. 

If Beard, Barford, Macon and Gafford have to play big minutes every game, that isn't the system.
You make a very good point.  In this game Beard played 42 of the 45 minutes.  Macon 41.  Barford 35. Gafford 33.  But what can you do when you're trailing the whole game?  Those guys are the heart of this team.  When the chips are down they've got to be out there.  If we're going to be real challengers this year, it will be because of those last three, Macon, Barford, and Gafford.  That said, the supporting cast didn't help much today.  The spotlight of the big stage seemed to spook some of them like Jones and Hall.  Hopefully they'll learn from it and improve.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 30, 2017, 03:43:48 pm

Yep,

OS2 (SW) Razor Back

If averaging 33.1 points per game sucks then yeah our bench sucks. ::)
The Giants win the penent!!!!!The Giants win the penent!!!
Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the Earth.
I can't believe what I just saw!!!!
Down goes Frazier!!!! Down goes Frazier!!!
Do you believe in miricles?!?!?!

tusksincolorado

Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

tusksincolorado

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on December 30, 2017, 02:51:38 pm
Nah just truthful. Bench was awful, big man disappeared. Beard went full re.....well you know. Barford and Macon dropped 61. Saved us.

Just dropped 61 WOW....you really need to take your game somewhere else. It just eats' you up alive the HAWGs winning...but then again you walked away when the game was only 1/2 over!

Pathetic...
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

Sow Lancelot

"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

PonderinHog

Rbill

All that matters is the win. Macon, Barford, and Gafford can feel free to do that every night as far as I'm concerned. When we struggle is when Macon and Barford disappear. If one of those games comes around of course we'll need Jones to shoot more/better in particular and more points from bench. But usually when they disappear completely I find myself saying Macon and Barford need to start getting greedy because we're not coming back without them. And it is GLARINGLY obvious that Gafford on the bench at any time straight up HURTS us.
TLDR  we need Macon, Barford, and Gafford to lead us. Period.

k.c.hawg

December 31, 2017, 08:39:40 am #72 Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 09:01:23 am by k.c.hawg
To look at this game with tunnel vision the conclusion would be that the depth really does need to be examined. When I do examine it, I come away from this game saying there are no conclusions that can be drawn from the examination other than, Cook and Thompson played 13 minutes and did about what we expect them to. I actually thought Cook played very good down the stretch, bringing energy and staying in front of guys and not letting them get to the rim. CJ the shooter had a bad shooting game, still recorded 2 pts, 3 reb and a block while going 1 for 6.

Other than CJ the "bench" went 1/1 from the field, 1/2 from the line. HTH can you draw a conclusion that we have no bench or depth from a one time occurrence against an outstanding team in a very particular circumstance. They were aggressive and forced some TO's early, CMA felt we didn't have the margin for error to let these guys feel it out.

Going into this game many on this board had alluded to the fact they thought this was the biggest game we had played in The Bud in 10 years. I felt the same way but not because of it's importance as one game in an 18 game conference season. It was an opportunity to get one of the top 4 teams in the league, while ranked, in our only match up this year, on our home court, in the home opener. The stars aligned with it being a holiday weekend, an early sell out and you are going to get to expose 18,700 to the product and set the tone for The Bud for the rest of the conference season.

I think our coach felt the same way. Obviously he would prefer we play from in front and play his 10 man rotation and coast home. That was not going to be the case. How many times in the past have we been behind when the 2nd 5 was playing in a game where we did not match up and the game starts getting away. All too often we have played teams that go 7 or 8 deep and and our 7-10 guys do not match up against what are essentially starters. CMA shortened the bench, Cook and Thompson didn't get in the way of the guys scoring efficiently and we won a game that had everything you could ask for. Our starting line up was 31/54 from the field and averaged 1.7 pts per shot attempt. Our 3 starting guards scored 71 points and went 17/19 from the line, most down the stretch. Our coach played this game exactly as I would have been pleading for him to, if he hadn't. I couldn't ask for more. The crowd could not have asked for more. The team couldn't have asked for more from the crowd. Everytime the tried to start a run the crowd got behind them.

Obviously if we get into game 7 of the conference season and this is the model, we are going to have some guys that are spent. But looking at the season stats to this point Macon, Barford and Beard are on the same minutes per game pace as Portis, Qualls, Madden from 14 or even Corliss, Scotty, McDaniel, Beck of 95. I will state right now that in tight games I have no problem with these guys going 35, other teams do it all year. You just have to shorten their minutes when you can. We all want to see more out of Jones, Bailey and Hall and I think we all know we will. I certainly don't see any reason to panic.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

Athog

Wow great assessment on one game!! Let's fire Anderson! (Sarcasm off)

Razorod

One subtle shift I wouldn't be surprised to see is Cook going in for Thomas rather than Bailey as the first substitute at the four spot.

Cook had his best game this season yesterday and may be rounding into form after the suspension. He also brings a bit more size and experience to the table. In the past, that's always been important to Anderson.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

HawgsPolo

Go Cubs Go!!!!!

Kevin

lot of guys playing their first meaningful minutes in the sec. they will settle down
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

opineonswine

CJ will get his groove back and that will help a ton.

HawgsPolo

This team is showing they can win many ways and that's a good thing.  The bench had ONE bad game and the Hogs still managed to get a victory in a game where they lead only the last 27 seconds of regulation time.  That's not easy to do..
Go Cubs Go!!!!!

rtr

Quote from: HawgsPolo on December 31, 2017, 09:10:17 am
This team is showing they can win many ways and that's a good thing.  The bench had ONE bad game and the Hogs still managed to get a victory in a game where they lead only the last 27 seconds of regulation time.  That's not easy to do..
That is such an important point, that is easily overlooked.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

LRHog

Stop lying to us, and stop lying to yourself. You're not a hog fan. You're just a miserable sack to be around, and your family got tired of hearing it so now we're stuck with you.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: GA reddiehog on December 30, 2017, 12:55:43 pm
Typical Hog team that can't play against a good defensive team.  They don't look inspired.  This is the problem I have with CMA, if they can't run and gun they get beat.  They will be lucky to win 40% of their conference games.

😂
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

KlubhouseKonnected

The anti-Mike Anderson crowd is possibly the most butt-tarded demographic of Arkansas.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

farmhawg

Quote from: LRHog on December 31, 2017, 11:50:20 am
Stop lying to us, and stop lying to yourself. You're not a hog fan. You're just a miserable sack to be around, and your family got tired of hearing it so now we're stuck with you.
+1
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

JLaHawg

It sucks being wrong and having to back peddle.  You would probably feel better about yourself if you just said, "I was wrong".  Yes, you were right about the bench in this one game, but you tried to extrapolate that stat to the entire season which is entirely invalid.   I do have to admit that it is enjoyable to see you squirm like a weasel , but it's also just kind of sad for you.

popcornhog

Quote from: Nosboar Accubond on December 30, 2017, 04:05:08 pm

In one game, the bench struggled to score.

That does not mean we don't have depth.
WPS

PonderinHog

Bring Barford and Macon in off the bench after the first made basket!  Problem solved!

Queen Hog

I love your optimism. 
I lub me some HOGS!!!

Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence.
Helen Keller

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Smallie Bigs

Welp! We got the W! Are bench has played great in all but a couple games. We will be fine.
Watchdog defending all things Razorback.