Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sam Pittman

Started by Al Boarland, December 20, 2017, 02:06:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Al Boarland

Is a perfect example of where you are recruiting matters just as much as the recruiter. 

RazorPiggie

Pittman is an awesome recruiter. Was here for the first couple of years.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Al Boarland on December 20, 2017, 02:06:27 pm
Is a perfect example of where you are recruiting matters just as much as the recruiter.

While I don't disagree, the guy had a lot of momentum along with the rest of hte staff the first two years at Arkansas.  He was hindered by not being able to bring in as many big uglies as he wanted.  We as a forum had a lot of discussions about numbers on the O line and it was BB stopping the numbers there, then it was addressed when Sam was leaving.  So to use sam as an example here doesn't exactly fit in my mind.  He possibly could have been pulling more Kirklands/skippers/ragnows if he was allowed too.  We saw he slacked off for whatever reason after the first two season.  I am thinking it was a BB problem, as it seemed after 15 we just were on a gradual decline completely.

King Kong

December 20, 2017, 03:06:00 pm #3 Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 03:16:28 pm by King Kong
How is that? He was a fantastic recruiter here.

Went to UGA and continues to be a fantastic recruiter

If anything it shows me a great recruiter can recruit anywhere

greenie

No doubt, the guy can recruit...when he wants to.

Hopeful Hog

Quote from: Al Boarland on December 20, 2017, 02:06:27 pm

What are you talking about? Pittman has been an amazing recruiter everywhere he's been, including here. Kirkland, Skipper, or Ragnow ring a bell?

David†

Quote from: onebadrubi on December 20, 2017, 02:26:52 pm
While I don't disagree, the guy had a lot of momentum along with the rest of hte staff the first two years at Arkansas.  He was hindered by not being able to bring in as many big uglies as he wanted.  We as a forum had a lot of discussions about numbers on the O line and it was BB stopping the numbers there, then it was addressed when Sam was leaving.  So to use sam as an example here doesn't exactly fit in my mind.  He possibly could have been pulling more Kirklands/skippers/ragnows if he was allowed too.  We saw he slacked off for whatever reason after the first two season.  I am thinking it was a BB problem, as it seemed after 15 we just were on a gradual decline completely.

Lot of truth in this post.

Bret wouldn't let Pittman bring in who he wanted.

Al Boarland

Quote from: onebadrubi on December 20, 2017, 02:26:52 pm

It's safe to say he would not have ever pulled in a haul like he did today.

Hog Fan...DOH!

Haha, Pittman is awesome. 

ricepig

Quote from: Al Boarland on December 20, 2017, 03:36:07 pm

No doubt, but it doesn't diminish his recruiting abilities.

BR

Quote from: Al Boarland on December 20, 2017, 03:36:07 pm
TRUE   3 of the top 10 OL in the Country....
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

VirginiaHog

To a hot team that is in the playoff too.

Kevin

Myth. He was not great for the hogs
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Kevin on December 20, 2017, 05:19:57 pm

This could be taken 2 different ways. Are you saying he was or wasn't a great recruiter at here

bphi11ips

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

comeon

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 20, 2017, 05:27:58 pm
College football has changed. Pittman is too old to recruit.  ;)

https://www.dawgnation.com/football/watch-georgia-ol-coach-sam-pittman-best-reaction-jamaree-salyers-commitment

That's dumb and embarrassing for a man his age to be holding pom poms.

kennypig

Looks like a lot of these head coaches and assistant coaches move from one school that has an excellent recruiting base to another. Makes their recruiting and W-L record much easier. They only slip when the go to a lesser school. Pittman got Skipper and Kirkland to switch from TN to Ark when he came on board, not much after that. The coach at Georgia got SEC coach of the year ? Not unexpected, Georgia had the best team talent in the SEC East, and second only to Alabama in the SEC altogether. Their only two challengers had down years and fired their coaches, TN & FL. That's my concern if Chavis comes to Arkansas, he made his name at TN, LSU & TA&M. And rumor around TN was he didn't like to recruit.  JMO.

Al Boarland

Quote from: kennypig on December 20, 2017, 05:59:58 pm
Looks like a lot of these head coaches and assistant coaches move from one school that has an excellent recruiting base to another. Makes their recruiting and W-L record much easier. They only slip when the go to a lesser school. Pittman got Skipper and Kirkland to switch from TN to Ark when he came on board, not much after that. The coach at Georgia got SEC coach of the year ? Not unexpected, Georgia had the best team talent in the SEC East, and second only to Alabama in the SEC altogether. Their only two challengers had down years and fired their coaches, TN & FL. That's my concern if Chavis comes to Arkansas, he made his name at TN, LSU & TA&M. And rumor around TN was he didn't like to recruit.  JMO.

Your concerns are justified. We aren't going to bring in a defensive staff and start recruiting like the big boys.

Freebrd

Quote from: Kevin on December 20, 2017, 05:19:57 pm

Pittman at Arkansas 2012-2015;  2013: Denver Kirkland,Dan Skipper; 2014: Frank Ragnow, Brian Wallace, Sebastian Tretola

King Kong

Quote from: Freebrd on December 20, 2017, 07:19:58 pm

Pittman at Arkansas 2012-2015;  2013: Denver Kirkland,Dan Skipper; 2014: Frank Ragnow, Brian Wallace, Sebastian Tretola

Lead recruiter on Ledbetter as well

Athog

Quote from: David† on December 20, 2017, 03:23:44 pm
Lot of truth in this post.

Bret wouldn't let Pittman bring in who he wanted.

Based on what?? How do you know that?

Hoggish1

Quote from: RazorPiggie on December 20, 2017, 02:23:25 pm
Pittman is an awesome recruiter. Was here for the first couple of years.

Was here three years.  but maybe you mean he wasn't here mentally his third year...

Kevin

Quote from: Freebrd on December 20, 2017, 07:19:58 pm

notice you did not put the bust on that list
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Wooderson

Quote from: Kevin on December 21, 2017, 07:46:15 am
notice you did not put the bust on that list

Who are the busts?  I'm sure there were some because that's just a given.
Give me liberty, or give me death!

David†

December 21, 2017, 11:36:07 am #25 Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 11:52:56 am by David†
Quote from: Athog on December 20, 2017, 10:02:55 pm
Based on what?? How do you know that?

Personal experience