Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Thanksgiving eve tidbits

Started by Porkatarian, November 22, 2017, 09:23:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Perkis

What's the scoop today? Anything change?

Captain Hogthrob

Quote from: ricepig on November 23, 2017, 02:29:37 pm
Scanlon is still a candidate for AD, his wife hasn't/isn't stopping him from acceptance, if he is offered the position.

That's good news
Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson

ur

Quote from: Tony Perkis on November 23, 2017, 07:27:35 pm
What's the scoop today? Anything change?
Rice delivered great news. Scanlon back in play!

HF#1

I'm not sure I buy that Scanlon is still in it.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

ricepig

Quote from: HF#1 on November 23, 2017, 07:59:11 pm
I'm not sure I buy that Scanlon is still in it.

As in a candidate, or that he wasn't willing to move?

Hog Pharm

Quote from: Paul on November 23, 2017, 01:43:53 pm
incorrect. Google Mike Norvell on 2016 recruiting class & you'll find links to Memphis Business Journal & GoTigersGo article of him discussing particulars of his recruiting his 1ST Class.

Norvell signed them but Fuentes was the HC for that season, so the majority of those players were recruited under his watch.

Hawg Life

Quote from: Hog Pharm on November 23, 2017, 08:11:21 pm
Norvell signed them but Fuentes was the HC for that season, so the majority of those players were recruited under his watch.

Just google Mike Norvell recruiter. I think you'll be impressed.

Arkansas Fan

Gus would only come here if he gets run off from Auburn and for job security.

Norvell would come here because he's a young, hungry coach wanting to prove himself in big time college football.

I'll take the second option.

Hawg Life

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on November 23, 2017, 08:48:58 pm

Norvell would come here because he's a young, hungry coach wanting to prove himself in big time college football.

Amen..me too.

Tony Perkis

Either option has unique pros and cons. I'll be okay with either.

HF#1

Quote from: ricepig on November 23, 2017, 08:04:27 pm
As in a candidate, or that he wasn't willing to move?

That he is still a candidate.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

ricepig

Quote from: HF#1 on November 23, 2017, 09:09:16 pm
That he is still a candidate.

I don't have the answer on that, just that his wife wouldn't be the hold up.

HF#1

Quote from: ricepig on November 23, 2017, 09:13:42 pm
I don't have the answer on that, just that his wife wouldn't be the hold up.

So because his wife isn't the hold up, you are assuming he is still in the mix?

HogFan219

Quote from: Tony Perkis on November 23, 2017, 08:52:32 pm
Either option has unique pros and cons. I'll be okay with either.

I find myself in this camp. Norvell is probably my first option, but both he and Gus bring total different qualities and baggage/question marks. As do others - Brown, Leach, Morris, Strong, et al.

ricepig

Quote from: HF#1 on November 23, 2017, 09:15:25 pm
So because his wife isn't the hold up, you are assuming he is still in the mix?
If he ever was. I couldn't tell you who they are looking at, I know who the various message boards say they are looking at.

SooieGeneris

Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on November 23, 2017, 01:40:10 pm
I just wonder where all the1) takes time to rebuild,wait till he has all his players in here, stepping into a trainwreck, cupboard was bare,is bare, no proven SEC QB, Did you see the pic of the stands last Sat.........
2) would Gus,Norvell,Leach.....not deserve the same grace. IE Many on here told us all we needed to shut up til year 5-6 as any coach taking over a dumpster fire deserves that.
3)Jeff Long has left us in more of a dumpster fire than any coach ever did. That Pic of our crowd last Sat. proved that.How long before most folks sour on this guy. Hopefully that propaganda machine has been terminated also.

People use that phrase all the time, but a dumpster fire would be much easier to contain and put out than a grass fire..

It just doesn't have the same ring to it.

This program is not on probation or under an NCAA investigation, the APR is good, and other than the recent situation with Kelley there have been no widespread off the field problems.

I believe there is MUCH more talent on this roster than many think, that we just haven't seen all of it on the field.

Chevin Calloway, Montaric Brown, Jordan Jones and a number of others were very highly recruited and haven't played that much. There are others in their first 2 years in the same situation.

This offense is a lot more complex than the spread offenses we see so much, it takes a long time for many players to learn. When a player doesn't know what they are doing they appear slow and play tentatively.

Plus, all of Bert's rules. If a kid misses breakfast or some such offense they get in Bert's doghouse and once in there, it seems nearly impossible to get out of it.

We still play a tough schedule next season, but it is not as brutal as the ones we've had the last 4-5 years.

In 7 seasons at Wisconsin, Bert had only 22 games vs ranked teams, just over 3 per. In 5 seasons here, there have been, I think, 31 games vs ranked teams or just over 6 per season.

Bert is a not-ready-for-prime-time coach who did not know what he was in for and made the mistake of beating his chest about beating 'Bama etc. I wish him well, just glad he's headed somewhere that's he's more of a fit coaching wise.
KJ Jefferson, one of only 2 QBs in UA history to go 2-0 in Bowl Games..

Mac attack: McAdoo & McGlothern co-winners of the Thorpe Award 2023?

JaketheSnake

Quote from: seasonhog on November 23, 2017, 07:17:35 pm

To many of our fan base sure was patient with Bielema.....who has destroyed our program..
Our program is not destroyed.  We are. Or winning, but have a good program and a good core for the next coach.

Porked Tongue

Glad to see what RicePig said about Scanlon.

I have not heard at a thing about the wife being a reason he was not still in play.  They do have twin grandkids that were born in the Spring.  They were born early but are fine.

There are a TON of odd rumors flying around. A few I hope never get posted here.

Tony Perkis

Quote from: Porked Tongue on November 23, 2017, 10:08:05 pm

I have not heard at a thing about the wife being a reason he was not still in play.  They do have twin grandkids that were born in the Spring.  They were born early but are fine.

There are a TON of odd rumors flying around. A few I hope never get posted here.
Odd scoops?! I'm intrigued.

Tortfeasor

It's late night so let's hear them.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Tortfeasor on November 23, 2017, 10:59:59 pm
It's late night so let's hear them.

I got a feeling you'll see them starting about Tuesday or Wednesday. Lol.
This is my non-signature signature.

Arkansas Fan

Let's hear 'em.

Bkhardicars

Not that my opinion or hopes will matter, but I'm slowly moving away from Gus toward this way of thinking as well..

HogNTX

I'm all for Gus coming and see very little downside with him coming but he wouldn't be my first choice. Figuring that Kelly, Frost, Gruden, Jimmy Johnson, and Campbell are off the table then I'd like to see:

1) Venables
2a) Gus
2b) Norvell
3) Strong
4) Chad Morris
5) Lane Kiffin
6) Mario Christobal
7) Leach

Tim Harris

I don't get the Venables selection as anyone's top choice over other options who have proven success building a program.

Bielema had ran his own program and still failed. I don't see it ending well if we pick someone who has never been a HC.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Tim Harris on November 24, 2017, 06:34:29 am
I don't get the Venables selection as anyone's top choice over other options who have proven success building a program.

Bielema had ran his own program and still failed. I don't see it ending well if we pick someone who has never been a HC.

Your first paragraph is correct. But your reasoning in the second is wrong.

oldhawg

Quote from: Smashmouth2004 on November 23, 2017, 07:22:41 pm
If the day comes that we hire Mike Leach as our HC I will officially turn in my Razorback stuff!! We don't need another clown who does and says strange things. If they are set on hiring Gus or Norvell then fine although in my 60+ years of experience the best hire to give our program a shot in the arm would be Kiffin.

Lou Holtz, who at times did and said strange things, did fairly well at Arkansas.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: ricepig on November 23, 2017, 02:29:37 pm
Scanlon is still a candidate for AD, his wife hasn't/isn't stopping him from acceptance, if he is offered the position.
How well do you know Kevin and Vicki? Did he tell you this?
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

oldhawg

Quote from: Tim Harris on November 24, 2017, 06:34:29 am

Do you mean like once upon a time Oklahoma picked Bob Stoops, Clemson picked Dabo Swinney, Georgia picked Mark Richt?  They, and others, have faired fairly well with first time head coaches.

ricepig

Quote from: HoginMemphis on November 24, 2017, 08:21:06 am

Well enough to have heard it.   ;)

WilsonHog

There is no way to know to a certainty.

You can throw out the names of successful coaches who had no previous head coaching experience, and someone else can meet that with just as many names of coaches with no experience who failed. Dan Mullen has done well at Mississippi State; Lane Kiffin had a mediocre first year at Tennessee and then was fired at USC.

Same thing with coaches moving up from Group of 5 schools; some are successful. Some fail. Brian Kelly has done fairly well at Notre Dame; Butch Jones got fired at Tennessee. Mike Norvell, wherever he lands next, may become one of the most successful coaches in the country. He also may be fired in five years and looking for work as an OC, amid a cloud of, "Well, the job was just too big for him. He wasn't ready."

Same with coaches who were successful elsewhere; some experience similar success at their new job, some fail. Charlie Strong and Bret Bielema come immediately to mind as two who failed.

Here's the rub: no two schools are identical in place and time. No two situations are the same. I would challenge anyone to write a profile of the Razorback football program and then go find an identical program elsewhere.

The truth of it is this. Look at our history since Frank Broyles stepped away at the end of the 1976 season. We have had seven coaches, not counting our two interim coaches:

Lou Holtz (7 years)
Kenny Hatfield (6 years)
Jack Crowe (2 years)
Danny Ford (5 years)
Houston Nutt (10 years)
Bobby Petrino (4 years)
Bret Bielema (5 years)

The average length of stay in Fayetteville has been 5.5 years.

If you were a betting man and wanted to wager on the future of our next coach, your safest bet would be "resigns/is fired after five years."

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: ricepig on November 24, 2017, 08:37:31 am
Well enough to have heard it.   ;)
I talked to him yesterday. He did not say anything about the AD's job. And I didn't ask him about it either.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

ChicoHog

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on November 24, 2017, 08:54:10 am

You can throw out the names of successful coaches who had no previous head coaching experience, and someone else can meet that with just as many names of coaches with no experience who failed. Dan Mullen has done well at Mississippi State; Lane Kiffin had a mediocre first year at Tennessee and then was fired at USC.

Same thing with coaches moving up from Group of 5 schools; some are successful. Some fail. Brian Kelly has done fairly well at Notre Dame; Butch Jones got fired at Tennessee. Mike Norvell, wherever he lands next, may become one of the most successful coaches in the country. He also may be fired in five years and looking for work as an OC, amid a cloud of, "Well, the job was just too big for him. He wasn't ready."

Same with coaches who were successful elsewhere; some experience similar success at their new job, some fail. Charlie Strong and Bret Bielema come immediately to mind as two who failed.

Here's the rub: no two schools are identical in place and time. No two situations are the same. I would challenge anyone to write a profile of the Razorback football program and then go find an identical program elsewhere.

The truth of it is this. Look at our history since Frank Broyles stepped away at the end of the 1976 season. We have had seven coaches, not counting our two interim coaches:

Lou Holtz (7 years)
Kenny Hatfield (6 years)
Jack Crowe (2 years)
Danny Ford (5 years)
Houston Nutt (10 years)
Bobby Petrino (4 years)
Bret Bielema (5 years)

If you were a betting man and wanted to wager on the future of our next coach, your safest bet would be "resigns/is fired after five years."
Really good post.  No really knows.  Have to hope whoever it is works out.  I would be fine with anyone if we win and don't have multiple off the field issues.  The only one i would say "Oh please no" would be Leach and as of now I prefer Venables, Frost or Norvell but I can handle Malzahn also. 

oldhawg

Lou Holtz (7 years)
Kenny Hatfield (6 years)
Jack Crowe (2 years)
Danny Ford (5 years)
Houston Nutt (10 years)
Bobby Petrino (4 years)
Bret Bielema (5 years)

If you want to stretch history even farther back, in the forty years preceding Frank Broyles, Arkansas had fifteen coaches.  This includes Fred Thomson who was coach for twelve of those years and posted an overall 56-61 record.
Evidently coach Broyles was an anomaly?  On the other hand there have been some successes since Broyles (which you mentioned) in Holtz, Hatfield, and Petrino.  Ironic that in all three of those cases a good portion of the fan base started  becoming dissatisfied for one reason or another around the five year mark.

Probably not going to be around for too many more five year cycles, so I hope that the Razorback leadership picks well this time, and there are a couple of good ones in store for fans.

bphi11ips

Quote from: ricepig on November 23, 2017, 07:24:24 pm
Daly does it......

If you want to argue simply for the sake of arguing, use a better example. 

John Daly is 5'11".  That's ideal height for building a repetitive swing.  You could have said Dustin Johnson and made sense.  There are exceptions to every rule.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

ricepig

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 24, 2017, 09:45:35 am
If you want to argue simply for the sake of arguing, use a better example. 

John Daly is 5'11".  That's ideal height for building a repetitive swing.  You could have said Dustin Johnson and made sense.  There are exceptions to every rule.

Dustin has a flat belly, the point was repeating the swing with a keg for a belly, try to keep up.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: oldhawg on November 24, 2017, 08:20:09 am
Lou Holtz, who at times did and said strange things, did fairly well at Arkansas.

On a 1 -10 scale of strangeness he is about a 5. Leach is about a 12+.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: HoginMemphis on November 24, 2017, 08:21:06 am

My wife doesn't tell me what to accept or not job wise. However I do appreciate her advisement and feelings. IF we had a chance to move to NWA and maintain our lifestyle we would do so in a heartbeat and she would love to as well.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: oldhawg on November 24, 2017, 08:25:54 am
Do you mean like once upon a time Oklahoma picked Bob Stoops, Clemson picked Dabo Swinney, Georgia picked Mark Richt?  They, and others, have faired fairly well with first time head coaches.

It's a gamble no matter who is hired and what their prior coaching experience is. However some gambles are bigger than others. Case in point, ND hiring Gerry Faust.

Inhogswetrust

I'd bet that is about the same average for a majority of schools including some traditional high profile places. For example look at Texas, USCw and to some extent even Bama after the Bear and before Nick.

sigpooie

Any real coach will do us good. All of these guys have proven better than butters on his best day.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! Hunter "my buddy" Thompson

bphi11ips

Quote from: ricepig on November 24, 2017, 10:12:53 am
Dustin has a flat belly, the point was repeating the swing with a keg for a belly, try to keep up.

You think 6'4" 225 sounds like keg belly?  You're dreaming.  Wake up. 

ricepig

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 24, 2017, 10:53:25 am

Ok, I'll try to go slow for you, the poster said he didn't believe he would be able to repeat that swing because a previous poster said he had a keg for a belly. I stated Daly can repeat that swing with a keg belly. I hope you understand, if not, then there is no hope.

HogNTX

Most exciting things in the next few days:

1) Razorback basketball
2) Porktarian's next update
3) CBB's impeding departure

moses_007

Quote from: HogNTX on November 24, 2017, 11:13:48 am
Most exciting things in the next few days:

1) Razorback basketball
2) Porktarian's next update
3) CBB's impeding departure
And, Gus announced Monday.

HF#1

Trey Schaap is the first to jump the gun.

Tweeting his sources have confirmed that Bielema is coaching his last game as HC of the Razorbacks today.

ricepig

Quote from: HF#1 on November 24, 2017, 11:24:49 am
Trey Schaap is the first to jump the gun.

Tweeting his sources have confirmed that Bielema is coaching his last game as HC of the Razorbacks today.

In other news, water is still wet.....

Tortfeasor

Let's trash this thread and start a new one with Post Thanksgiving tidbits....with new information.

Hawg Life

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 24, 2017, 10:53:25 am

I'm 6'3 and 220. I've got a Coors Party Ball.

bphi11ips

Quote from: ricepig on November 24, 2017, 11:01:21 am
Ok, I'll try to go slow for you, the poster said he didn't believe he would be able to repeat that swing because a previous poster said he had a keg for a belly. I stated Daly can repeat that swing with a keg belly. I hope you understand, if not, then there is no hope.

My, my.  Haven't we been grouchy since our hero got canned?  PMS is affecting your vision.

Check out post #363 above again.  golf2day says he's 6'4" 225 with a six pack.  If you want to pick a fight don't bring a pillow with you.