Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

News Starting to Break out of Florida

Started by WilsonHog, November 19, 2017, 06:51:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

swineology

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on November 19, 2017, 06:51:01 pm
Looks like Chip Kelly is their man.

"As of Sunday, Chip Kelly has agreed to be the 27th head coach for the University of Florida football team. Welcome to #GatorNation Chip."

This is a tweet from the son of one of the members of the search committee.

Means we're 2 months behind

Rocket23

Let's see how Chip does without PK's help and Willie Lyles steering those kids his way!

NuttinItUp

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Rocket23 on November 19, 2017, 08:37:54 pm
Let's see how Chip does without PK's help and Willie Lyles steering those kids his way!

He won't have NIKE helping him recruit like they did at Oregon.

Also, there is now a resurgent Miami (FL) program and a usual elite recruiting Florida State program that he will be having to go up against.

Could be a tough sled for Kelly in regards to recruiting in Florida.  Also, it should be remembered that he did not have great Assistant Coaches at Oregon.  Be interesting to see if he can assemble an actual high-quality SEC Coaching Staff.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: 3kgthog on November 19, 2017, 08:21:11 pm
Perfect hire for their program, fans, and talent base. It's back to UGA and UF ruling the East.

Maybe. Have to see who Tennessee gets also.  Could be back to Florida and Tennessee again. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

SPAL

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on November 19, 2017, 07:50:07 pm
3 years?   Heck they had a crap coach take them to back to back his first and second year.  Probably better do it faster than 3 years. 

I was trying to err on the side of conservative but you're probably right .

NuttinItUp

Looks like there is NO deal between Florida and Kelly

https://twitter.com/RobbieAndreu/status/932444920018808832
https://twitter.com/RobbieAndreu/status/932445253629554689

Looks like Kelly is holding out on signing the Florida contract to see what UCLA offers.

DeltaBoy

Gator fans will be happy now! Fun n gun is back !
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

RedRazorHog

I actually am not so sure that Chip Kelly will return to the success he had at Oregon.  I think defenses have been able to figure out his offenses and that may translate itself back to college when he comes back to the collegiate game.  Yes, he'll get some really fast dudes, but basically what proved to be his downfall is hardcore blitz packages, takes the mid pass game out... but I may be entirely wrong too.
"I've found that prayers work best when you have Big Players"

--Knute Rockne

trublu4au

Thank goodness he's over there in the east. If Chip will recruit right along the O and D lines he will be a monster at Florida with all that talent. The only knock I have on chip is that he recruits small linemen and they get pushed around by bigger units.

JONAS

Quote from: Ironhawg on November 19, 2017, 07:13:07 pm
Want to really make the Huskers fans mad?  We pawn Bielema off on them and take Frost.

That would be awesome!

longpig

Quote from: NuttinItUp on November 19, 2017, 09:24:19 pm
Looks like there is NO deal between Florida and Kelly

https://twitter.com/RobbieAndreu/status/932444920018808832
https://twitter.com/RobbieAndreu/status/932445253629554689

Looks like Kelly is holding out on signing the Florida contract to see what UCLA offers.
I'd almost rather see him stymie USC instead of Tenner.
Don't be scared, be smart.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: trublu4au on November 19, 2017, 09:33:43 pm
Thank goodness he's over there in the east. If Chip will recruit right along the O and D lines he will be a monster at Florida with all that talent. The only knock I have on chip is that he recruits small linemen and they get pushed around by bigger units.

He recruited for his style and the type of conference he was in. I'm sure he would do the same in the SEC.

AirWarren

Quote from: swineology on November 19, 2017, 08:37:42 pm
Means we're 2 months behind

Behind on what?

Chip isn't ignorant enough to come to Arkansas.

Hawghiggs

Arkansas really needs him to take the Florida job. That would start the dismantling of Alabama.

rljjr

Chip doesn't believe in defense. Enjoy it.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Hawghiggs on November 19, 2017, 09:53:04 pm
Arkansas really needs him to take the Florida job. That would start the dismantling of Alabama.

Only thing that is going to start that is when Saban retires.  Kelly isn't a better coach than Saban and really I doubt he is a better coach than Meyer.

JaketheSnake

Negative ghost rider... Saban wouldnstill have the throne.  Can Kelly field a Defense?

JONAS

That may happen because I believe Nick Saban may leave if they win the national championship.  Two years ago he wanted the New York Giants job.  They hired Ben McAdoo.    I believe McAdoo will be fired after this season.  Saban could take the Giants job.  One more chance to win in the NFL.  He has done about all he can do at Alabama.

ipigsooie

Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 19, 2017, 09:57:35 pm
Negative ghost rider... Saban wouldnstill have the throne.  Can Kelly field a Defense?

Oregon held the great Gus Malzahn, the mastermind offensive mind, to 19 in the nc.  I guess he will be better than the scraps we get.

HawgnCorona

Shadow, are you serious?

Quote from: ShadowTheHedgehog on November 19, 2017, 08:02:03 pm
No, but maybe they will take him. Trying to find him a new job.

Hahaha...
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

buldozer

Based on available in-state talent, Florida should be a powerhouse nearly impossible to stop. Poor coaching has sidelined their success but Kelly should resurrect it.

moses_007

Quote from: ShadowTheHedgehog on November 19, 2017, 07:43:44 pm
I would hate to lose him but Tennessee should move on CBB now. They need to counter the Kelley hire at Florida.
You mean CBP.

ShadowTheHedgehog

Quote from: moses_007 on November 19, 2017, 10:07:07 pm
You mean CBP.

No I mean CBB. That is a perfect fit. Hard nosed football, uncommon, great OL, really close. It would be a home-run hire for Tennessee. But they have to move fast [tonight if possible] before the other powerhouses come knocking.

WilsonHog

This is why I love coaching hire season. Now a word from Stewart Mandel:

"Now would be a good time for my annual coaching carousel reminder: Nothing is a 'done deal' until they hold the press conference."

AlmaHog2011

Not worried. Everybody is running his hurry up offense now it's not anything not seen. When he was rolling he was running the hurry up no huddle and wearing teams out physically. Won't happen in the SEC.

NuttinItUp

More negative news for Florida fans:

https://twitter.com/RyanYoungSEC/status/932459273824755712

Looks like Chip is still weighing his options

sowmonella

Chip will not be competing with a really week PAC 10. Bad move if it happens.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

BroyledNutts

Would not surprise me if Kelly is hired by UCLA ... he's a west coast guy, he knows the recruiting base there.

Hogwarrior

Quote from: Oliver on November 19, 2017, 06:53:24 pm
Sucks if true.  Was really hoping he'd take the UCLA job

Doesn't matter.  We played FL last season so it'll be 4 or 5 years B4 we see them again!

longpig

Quote from: BroyledNutts on November 19, 2017, 10:55:05 pm
Would not surprise me if Kelly is hired by UCLA ... he's a west coast guy, he knows the recruiting base there.

And except out of principal the $ may not be the deciding factor with 4 seasons of nfl pay in the bank.
Don't be scared, be smart.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Broadway Rob on November 19, 2017, 07:15:45 pm
He was a damn good college football coach with a roster made up of 75% 3 star kids.  He'll pull more 4 stars than 3 each year along with some 5 stars.  He's gonna take over the East man. 
Exactly this and I am not sure why people are in denial.  They say, well the SEC shut him down.  Well sure they did, he was playing with 2-3* kids at Oregon and he is about to be "swamped" with 4-5* kids.  That will make a difference.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

BR

Florida has offered him a contract, now see if talks to UCLA today.  IF it was a Done Deal....
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 19, 2017, 10:02:26 pm
Oregon held the great Gus Malzahn, the mastermind offensive mind, to 19 in the nc.  I guess he will be better than the scraps we get.

...Auburn held Chip's mighty offense to 19. Auburn beat Oregon 22-19. FWIW.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Hawghiggs

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on November 19, 2017, 09:57:06 pm
Only thing that is going to start that is when Saban retires.  Kelly isn’t a better coach than Saban and really I doubt he is a better coach than Meyer.

I agree that Saban is a better coach. But the only real way to effect Alabama is through recruiting. If Florida hires Kelly and Arkansas somehow lures Malzahn. Then that still leaves Auburn, Ole Miss, Tennessee, and possibly Texas A&M still looking for headcoaches and assistant coaches. You've got to think that Auburn and Tennessee will be going after more established coaches.

Inhogswetrust

IF I were choosing between Gainesville and LA I'd choose Gainesville.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 20, 2017, 05:59:26 am

If I had to pick a job based on being able to recruit the kind of athletes I needed to run my offense, I'd have to evaluate the competition in both recruiting and on the field. Would I pick Florida, where I had to recruit more often against the likes of Miami, Florida State, Georgia, Alabama, Auburn and others? Or would I choose southern California where I basically had to compete against USC and to a lesser extent, Stanford, Cal, Oregon, Utah and Washington?

I think I would have to pick UCLA. Hot bed of recruiting, less competition in recruiting and on the field. JMO, but not everyone wants to put their job on the line every week against SEC competition on the field and in recruiting.
Go Hogs Go!

Pyotr Tchaikhogsky

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 20, 2017, 05:59:26 am

I don't wear jorts, so I'd probably go with LA.
"I feel sorry for people who don't drink.  When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."  -Frank Sinatra

King Kong

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 19, 2017, 10:02:26 pm

It was 22 but whatever. The mastermind Kelly had 19

Cinco de Hogo

There is no comparison between the resources at Florida and UCLA, UCLA is known for it history of underfunding its athletics.

Ucla didn't pay a $12 million buyout to mora to go cheap on the next coach. I think they get chip.

NaturalStateReb

Definitely nothing solid out of Florida, but Florida is a much better job than UCLA.  The East isn't all that good, and Florida State's on a down cycle.  That Free Shoes U downturn might continue if Jimbo Fisher decides he wants to try his hand elsewhere.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Peter Porker

Quote from: Oliver on November 19, 2017, 06:53:24 pm
Sucks if true.  Was really hoping he'd take the UCLA job

Real good for us if true. We were never going to Kelly so it makes our chances of getting a coach we really can get more possible. Hopefully, Tennessee gets Gruden too.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

hogginbama

Quote from: SooieGeneris on November 19, 2017, 07:57:12 pm
I hate 'em too, but they just go a lot better than they've been since Meyer faked the heart attack and got outta town.

With that recruiting base and the defenses they've had, all they have needed was a running game and a QB.

It's hard to understand how a program like that in such a talent rich area could have been so bad at QB for so long.

He will find one, and they will run the ball. He never had the overall talent at Oregon like he's about to have and he won't be foolish enough to mouth off like BB coming in, but he will not bow down and kiss Saban's rings either.

The balance of power in the SEC could shift a bit, the East could definitely use a boost. Hope we don't have to play them soon..

What did you expect BB to say when he came in..."Thank you to all the folks who hired me, while I think most of you want to beat Alabama, I must sadly tell you that is never gonna happen". All coaches come in with a speech to fire up the base, talk about the good things they want to accomplish...similar to what you did when you went on your last job interview. You told them what you could bring to the company and how they would benefit from it.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

HogPokerPlayer

There have been so many rumors about Chip to FL in the past few days, I think it would be done by now if that's where he wanted to go.  I think he will end up at UCLA.

HF#1

Quote from: HogPokerPlayer on November 20, 2017, 10:37:24 am
There have been so many rumors about Chip to FL in the past few days, I think it would be done by now if that's where he wanted to go.  I think he will end up at UCLA.

I hope so. I think you combine his coaching with the talent pool available to UofF and he could win a crap load of games.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

WalHog2018

"Nothing to gain by firing Bret two weeks ago."

rljjr

Quote from: HF#1 on November 20, 2017, 10:38:25 am
I hope so. I think you combine his coaching with the talent pool available to UofF and he could win a crap load of games.

I respectfully disagree. I think he cheated to get where he was, isn't that great, and is also a better fit out West. If he went to Florida he'd be out by year 4-5.

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: rljjr on November 20, 2017, 10:58:17 am
I respectfully disagree. I think he cheated to get where he was, isn't that great, and is also a better fit out West. If he went to Florida he'd be out by year 4-5.

Wherever Kelly lands, they will need to be prepared for much tighter scrutiny from the NCAA after the "show cause" penalty against Kelly at Oregon.  $25,000 paid to Will Lyles to funnel his 7on7 players to Oregon.  This is also an issue that could gain more scrutiny from the FBI, since these actions are similar to what is currently being investigated in the basketball programs. 
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

jackflash