Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

AD not a done deal?

Started by RME, November 17, 2017, 11:38:42 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogwarrior

Quote from: 12247 on November 17, 2017, 05:42:18 pm
We do not need a permanent AD to hire a new HC.  I believe the next HC will not be hired by one individual.  Frank Broyles, in the good old days, could do that with success but not todays AD types.  We have a current AD.  She may or may not have any say in the next HC but she could certainly hire one tomorrow if everyone above her who matters would agree.

I doubt if we have a for sure HC chosen or a for sure AD chosen.  I would not be surprised if Peoples gets the job as AD.  I would not be surprised if Gus is the next coach or Norvell or Brohm or any of a dozen others.

What we do have is several Hogvillers doing what they do best and that is telling stores as if they were true when they are simply their opinions.  If anyone with cods actually knew, then the next step is that it is likely they would be sworn to keeping it quite so they would not b on here hinting around.  They would be trusted to honor their agreement to keep it quite.

Ever notice how if one poster says its for sure that within hours, several of the weaker minded of us is posting it as fact.  By tomorrow, Gus will have won his first 5 games as the new HC if you watch this website. 

The best we got in truth is to look at the average of how Arkansas does things.  We usually are a bit late to the table on these things.  Just look at what a mess we may have due to the early signing timetable.  If recruits aren't considering their options, then they may be too dumb to come here anyway.  Not having the AD thing in the bag is not the end of the world.  Not knowing about the HC thing can hurt us and very soon.  The question is will it help more to hurry and name a new HC or wait and maybe get a better person for the job who may do better in the long haul.

All good points but I think people on HV make too big of a deal about the early signing period.  I think we will see kids who are die hearts concerning the schools they choose, sign early.  I also think we will see over half of them wait until February.  Also, a new coach may not be sold on the class BB has assembled.  Said coach needs time to evaluate the class and decide which ones he wants and which ones he doesn't.  It's gonna happen so we may as well relax and let the process play out.

RexMentor

I believe there was a faction that has wanted Long gone for a while. I think the faction began to grow after he announced in September that he wanted a recommendation about using War Memorial Stadium in the future. I think that galvanized the anti-Long faction. CBB losing gave then the excuse to drop the axe. Honestly, I don't have any sources on this, just a gut feeling that this was the Great Stadium Debate played as a blood sport.

BR

Quote from: Hogwarrior on November 18, 2017, 07:54:20 am
All good points but I think people on HV make too big of a deal about the early signing period.  I think we will see kids who are die hearts concerning the schools they choose, sign early.  I also think we will see over half of them wait until February.  Also, a new coach may not be sold on the class BB has assembled.  Said coach needs time to evaluate the class and decide which ones he wants and which ones he doesn’t.  It’s gonna happen so we may as well relax and let the process play out.
Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby, chair of the NCAA Division I Football Oversight Committee, thinks it's possible as much as 70 percent of all FBS signees will want to end their recruitments and ink their National Letters of Intent during the Dec. 20-22 signing period...  One common refrain from coaches about the Dec. 20-22 period echoes what Texas A&M coach Kevin Sumlin said earlier this year: "If a guy doesn't sign in December, he's not committed.  In the past two winters, 39 of 49 new head coaching hires were made before Dec. 20. But that doesn't mean the head coaches had their coaching staffs in place in time for that date. The period of time between conference championship games and the new signing period is just 18 days.
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

Hogwarrior

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on November 17, 2017, 07:35:55 pm
Then if this was the plan all along why not the week after the CC game?  No one would have batted an eye, everyone was so mad.  We would have had ample time to find an AD then.  IMO it's because there was never a plan to fire Long.  It was decided either at the BOT meeting or shortly thereafter. The seat as you say has been hot for a while we could already be that much closer to a new AD.  Was the seat going to get hotter than that, I doubt it.

Just a theory, but how do we know Long didn't refuse to take action against BB and got axed for it?

jgcat4

I don't have a lot of connections but I tend to believe people like Jim Harris and a few others I know. If anyone ever thought this would be some cute little "let's fire these people and hire these people" then your wrong.

There will be a search. To what extent remains to be seen. We'll hire an AD. We'll hire a new coach. I tend to believe that there is/was some substance to the Gus talk. Is it still there? I think that remains to be seen. We've been through this with Sexton before.

We're not going to be a great team next year. It's going to take time. It's not going to be fixed overnight. However I do believe that with change there is always hope. This change does give us hope and until we have concrete reason to lose that hope, I will continue to believe that this change will be for the better of Razorback football! WPS!
Coaching Search Season-It's the most wonderful time of the year...

RexMentor

Saw a theory posted on HV that maybe a big booster offered to pay CBB's buyout. Booster was told by Long "what makes you think we're going to fire CBB?" And said booster was told "I don't need your input." It's a theory only but it could have happened.

Hogwarrior

Quote from: BR on November 18, 2017, 08:01:26 am
Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby, chair of the NCAA Division I Football Oversight Committee, thinks it's possible as much as 70 percent of all FBS signees will want to end their recruitments and ink their National Letters of Intent during the Dec. 20-22 signing period...  One common refrain from coaches about the Dec. 20-22 period echoes what Texas A&M coach Kevin Sumlin said earlier this year: "If a guy doesn't sign in December, he's not committed.  In the past two winters, 39 of 49 new head coaching hires were made before Dec. 20. But that doesn't mean the head coaches had their coaching staffs in place in time for that date. The period of time between conference championship games and the new signing period is just 18 days.

All good points but this is new in football but the best indicator to me is how it has worked out in basketball.  There are still a ton of very talented athletes still on the board after the early period.  Mix that in with the fact that there are 10-15 firings every season in late November, there's plenty of reasons for young men to wait.

BR

Quote from: Hogwarrior on November 18, 2017, 08:16:25 am
All good points but this is new in football but the best indicator to me is how it has worked out in basketball.  There are still a ton of very talented athletes still on the board after the early period.  Mix that in with the fact that there are 10-15 firings every season in late November, there’s plenty of reasons for young men to wait.
Coaches will fill slots, if they think you are playing them and not sign early.. They might feel your not committed and move on..  The Big Boys will get names on the line ASAP. 
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"