Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

AP Top 25: Week 2

Started by Next1_04, November 13, 2017, 01:59:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: Fan701 on November 14, 2017, 12:58:08 pm
Funny how things work out.  When Babb left one year and Whitt the next, people were wringing their hands and moaning "woe is us."  But look how things worked out.  MA quickly changed tack, decided to cover the losses in the backcourt by bringing in immediate impact JUCO's, and, wow, has it paid off.  In effect, I think Barford and Macon are what we got in exchange for Whitt and Babb.  Who wouldn't make that trade?

Oh 100% and as experienced as CMA is, I think he learned quite a bit from Babb and Whitt.

Hawg Red

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on November 14, 2017, 01:36:22 pm
Oh 100% and as experienced as CMA is, I think he learned quite a bit from Babb and Whitt.

I was extremely high on Babb and Whitt, as many of us were, but comparing them to the kind of guard/wing currently on the team and coming in, they just seem like good fits now. They both seem more like half-court players to me and both lack the edge and intensity needed to be thrive in Mike's system. To your point, I'm sure Mike sees this as well because he hasn't really recruited players like this since. I could be completely off base there, but there seems to have been a shift in the kind of player the staff is targeting.

Fan701

Quote from: Hawg Red on November 14, 2017, 02:46:10 pm
I was extremely high on Babb and Whitt, as many of us were, but comparing them to the kind of guard/wing currently on the team and coming in, they just seem like good fits now. They both seem more like half-court players to me and both lack the edge and intensity needed to be thrive in Mike's system. To your point, I'm sure Mike sees this as well because he hasn't really recruited players like this since. I could be completely off base there, but there seems to have been a shift in the kind of player the staff is targeting.
If we turn out to be as good this year as I think we are, it will be due in large part to the fabulous guard play of Macon and Barford, and neither would be here if Babb and Whitt were here, I think.  Babb and Whitt are good players, but we replaced them with two real gems, a clear upgrade whether it turned out that way by luck or design.