Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A Question about a “Divided” or “Fractured” Fan Base

Started by WilsonHog, November 12, 2017, 07:28:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

First of all, I think the fan base is going to be divided regardless of who we hire, because 100% of the fan base will never agree. Is what it is.

So, why does it matter? What difference does it make? We're not going to win as many games? Not going to enjoy game day as much? Not going to enjoy posting here as much?

My suspicion is that this argument is just a noble front for the real reason: "I don't like that guy."

JONAS

Probably so.  I just want to win.  I don't care who the coach is.  I like Bret, but he hasn't won.  Not only that, we have not been competitive in several of our loses.  I wanted him to succeed just like every coach we have had, it just didn't happen.

Hawginj

Quote from: WilsonHog on November 12, 2017, 07:28:51 pm
First of all, I think the fan base is going to be divided regardless of who we hire, because 100% of the fan base will never agree. Is what it is.

So, why does it matter? What difference does it make? We're not going to win as many games? Not going to enjoy game day as much?
I don't agree with this. The fan base can be united will 100% agree no thats not what I disagree with. It does matter who we hire because we can win if we hire someone thats got a plan and the fire not just someone because they are a name or they are from Arkansas.

FANONTHEHILL

There will always be a fractured fan base.  Social media is a huge part of that. What used to be 5 people around the water cooler at work or sitting in the barber shop is now message boards, Twitter, and FaceBook.  Everyone with internet access is suddenly considered a credible journalist.  People become bullies when they can hide behind a keyboard.  It's not just sports it's everything. 

The only medicine for the disease is wins.  Plain and simple.  Even then, a certain percentage will still complain.   
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

rhames

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

WilsonHog

Quote from: Hawginj on November 12, 2017, 07:37:14 pm
I don't agree with this. The fan base can be united will 100% agree no thats not what I disagree with. It does matter who we hire because we can win if we hire someone thats got a plan and the fire not just someone because they are a name or they are from Arkansas.

Your last sentence has nothing to do with the question asked. What difference does it make if a fan base is "divided?"

AlmaHog2011

factchecker

Our fanbase will always be divided.

Our true rival is ourselves:

Great Stadium Debate

Pro (insert coach here) vs. anti (insert coach here)

Pro (insert AD here) vs. anti (insert AD here)

Football vs. Basketball fans (which is stupid - cheer for every Razorback team)

Razorback fans vs. state of Arkansas fans - this one is hard to define but there are Razorback fans who wait for us to struggle to try and prop their fledgling FCS or sunbelt program.  They are only Razorback fans when we are good.  When we struggle they transform into purple cub/red pup fans.  I'm sure we will see Ouachita Baptist basketball fans claim that the Hogs are scared to play them now that they beat Little Rock.  Trojan fans will blame the Razorbacks (or the swine as they call us) for the loss.

There will always be a divide.  Wins help mask the divide but even then there will be somebody complaining about how the crowd sounds quiet..... which reminds me of another divide-

Fans who attend games vs. Fans who bitch about attendance.

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on November 12, 2017, 07:39:48 pm
Not fractured when it comes to firing Brett Bielema.

This right here is the truth.  There might be a left the majority of Razorback fans are ready (beyond ready) for Bielema to be gone.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Cinco de Hogo

I've said many times I don't care what a coaches names is, nor do I care where he is from.  Above all else my first requirement for a coach is to maintain a 931+ APR.  After that it's all about winning and I expect the professionals at the U of A to know more about what we need than I do.  We spend one mil on an AD and I expect him to consider the things that make Arkansas unique when considering a new coach.  My opinion is that Long did none of that when he hired CBB. By far my biggest gripe has been the administration at the U of A based on the actual results on the field.   You can't blame a coach for jumping in an opportunity no more than you can blame a player for accepting a scholarship.  However the coaching results are in and the wins/losses pile up any fan is going to lean one way or the other.

And that didn't answer your question,

If two people have ever talked about sports, religion or politics there has been a certain amount of disagreement(fracture if you will).  The difference with social media is we make more of our differences, we think they wouldn't be there if we were talking person to person.  That's not true, our opinions are  still our opinions so the fracture exist at any level.  Now as for the bullying, that would be toned down considerably but it wouldn't change you opinion.

Tusks

If a new coach comes in and wins 8 before the bowl next year, starts getting the team back in the top 25, makes a run at a 10 or 11 win season and that will cure most all the ills.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

EastexHawg

The reason for the angst in the fan base, starting a decade ago with the events that led to Nutt leaving, is that for the first time in my lifetime the fans don't believe that the administration is all in when it comes to winning.  Some of us don't trust the people running the show to do what needs to be done.

WilsonHog

Quote from: tusked on November 12, 2017, 07:46:30 pm
If a new coach comes in and wins 8 before the bowl next year, starts getting the team back in the top 25, makes a run at a 10 or 11 win season and that will cure most all the ills.

And if he doesn't, we'll begin to hear from those fans who didn't want him to begin with.

Silver Hog

Screw the feelings of the Gus and Bobby haters, I want to win.  They can pretend to give up on the hogs, but you know they will be checking their phones for the scores just like the rest of us.

SemperFi

I realize that I have zero say in this process, so I have no choice but to continue being a Razorback fan regardless who the coach is or isn't. I was initially very happy about the Bielema hire, but realized last year that he was a lost cause. I supported Nutt until he made it impossible to support him. Was loving Bobby Petrino until his true colors showed. I'll blindly support the next guy until the moment that I can't, however I am holding out hope that the next guy can put it all together.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

Sed76

In today's world don't think it's possible to have a 100 percent united fan base. Look at Alabama, all they do is win yet for some that isn't good enough. Remember back in 2014 when they only beat us by 1 point, their fans were livid and Saban had to shame them. Georgia was ranked #1 but after 1 loss some fans were ready to fire Kirby Smart. We just need someone who is going to come in and work hard. I remember that 98 season even though it ended in heart break got people excited about Razorback football again after a few down years. Gonna take some wins to get everyone back on board.

hawgon

I would like to see us put the Nutt era in our rearview.  To date, everything is still a product of that fallout.  That is the only reason that I would rather have Norvell than Malzahn.  Once Long is gone and we have a new coach not connected to it, we can move to other issues. 

ricepig

Quote from: WilsonHog on November 12, 2017, 07:48:15 pm
And if he doesn't, we'll begin to hear from those fans who didn't want him to begin with.

Damn straight.

factchecker

I think another question is what impact does message boards have on the fanbase.

Would there have been pro vs. anti Hatfield debates if Hogville existed back then?
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

hog911

So, why does it matter? What difference does it make? We're not going to win as many games? Not going to enjoy game day as much? Not going to enjoy posting here as much?

My suspicion is that this argument is just a noble front for the real reason: "I don't like that guy."
Personally, I like Bret Bielema and probably would not have liked Bobby Petrino. Doing ones job well has nothing to do with like! Until we fix the recruiting issues we will continue to struggle achieving success no matter who the coach is, and yes, this problem can be solved!

Oklahawg

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on November 12, 2017, 07:37:47 pm
There will always be a fractured fan base.  Social media is a huge part of that. What used to be 5 people around the water cooler at work or sitting in the barber shop is now message boards, Twitter, and FaceBook.  Everyone with internet access is suddenly considered a credible journalist.  People become bullies when they can hide behind a keyboard.  It's not just sports it's everything. 

The only medicine for the disease is wins.  Plain and simple.  Even then, a certain percentage will still complain.   

cosign
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Cinco de Hogo

On top of all that since I don't know you how can I hate you while if we were still around the water fountain I or you might recieve a fracture.  I'm sure it's happening, doubt it ever has on social media.

Oklahawg

As we have learned, the ability to use success as a path to "healing" or "moving on" is only surpassed by the ability of the disenfranchised to "keep their powder dry."

I wonder if there are any Mike Shula fans at Bama? Y'know, fans who felt he got screwed out of the Bama job, that he deserved "one more year."

As best I can tell, it basically takes a national championship to make fans forget their preference for the previous coach.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

247Hog

I, like every fan out there, has a preference on whom gets the job of representing us as the Head Hog. I'd like us to hire Norvell over Gus, Leach, etc... HOWEVER i will support whomever we end up hiring. I just want us to win. I realize we're not going to go out and win a Championship every other year. I want us to be competitive. I have never been so embarrassed as i am now, since we are now THE team everyone wants to play to get that easy win. I'm ready for teams to fear us...not mock us.

Has nothing to do "if i like the guy or not". Our coach doesn't have to be liked by me or anyone else. Saban isn't very well liked. Saban also wins so those that don't "like him" have nothing to bitch about because he wins.
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

Simple Swineman

Quote from: hawgon on November 12, 2017, 07:50:25 pm
I would like to see us out the Nutt era in our rearview.  To date, everything is still a product of that fallout.  That is the only reason that I would rather have Norvell than Malzahn.

I was of that line of thinking for a little while. But now I don't think it will ever all be in the rear view until Malzahn is hired as head coach. At that point everybody will have had their way and nobody will ever be able to wonder "what if."

If Malzahn isn't hired then we will be rehashing the Nutt era for generations and Malzahn's name will be brought up in every coaching search we have until he is 20 years retired.

Oliver

But that would be the case with any coach.

For example, I have nothing personal against Charlie Strong.  I can't say "I don't like the guy."  But I think he'd be a terrible hire for our program right now.  And i wouldn't hesitate to share that opinion the day that he was hired.  Shortly afterwards I'd shut up and give him a chance to prove himself.  But if he won 5 or 6 games in his first year, I'd start to voice my displeasure with the hire again. 

A fractured fan base means nothing.  It's everywhere.  When the fan base and the management are at odds with one another, that's when you have problems.

Mo_Better_Hogs

Oh, it will stay divided for some reason.

And that is sooooo easy. Sit back, go on record no matter who the new coach is, and say "bad hire." People would rather hear themselves talk than cheer for the Hogs. Everyone here is a freaking expert.

I am 100% sure we need a change NOW. But back when our program appeared to be on the upswing until the end of last year, it wasn't obvious. Except for all you geniuses. I remember that was a fun time to be a Razorback fan.

Atlhogfan1

No.  It is a fear raised on history of making a personal hire once again and having a segment of the fan base entrenched in that coach's corner because it is personal to them.  So entrenched that any critical commentary leads to infighting.  And it doesn't matter how well they do the job, whatever happens is satisfactory to keep them for as long as they don't massively screw up as Nutt did.  "I want an Arkansas man to be football coach and AD and in the RF."  That leads to fandom of a coach instead of it just being a coach hired to do a job. 

I do agree the fan base will never be 100% behind a coach.  People latch on to favorites.  If their favorite is hired they have to go all out protecting them. 

Quote from: EastexHawg on November 12, 2017, 07:47:24 pm

The reason for the angst in the fan base, starting a decade ago with the events that led to Nutt leaving, is that for the first time in my lifetime the fans don't believe that the administration is all in when it comes to winning.  Some of us don't trust the people running the show to do what needs to be done.

It started well before the events leading to Nutt's departure.  His hiring and the protecting of him did not show we were all in to win.  What was most important is the boy from Little Rock was coach. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

jgphillips3

There are always going to be people who think the dog is telling them to kill someone.  Wins fix almost all of it or at least keep those who speak to Satan in canine form at a whisper. 

fullfan

Whoever the next coach is will begin with minimal wins based on the "program he inherited".  Will eventually see progress up to about an 8 or 9 win season and then begin to slip to 6-7 and become the biggest villain on social media.   Not hard to see the future from the seat of experience.

Cinco de Hogo

I've got a question, along these lines when we were hearing all the negative stuff during the Petrino years dispite winning did you post concerns like this or was it that "I don't like that guy"?  Seems to me people's concern(that we are fractured)are mostly situational.

bphi11ips

Quote from: factchecker on November 12, 2017, 07:43:17 pm
Our fanbase will always be divided.

Our true rival is ourselves:

Great Stadium Debate

Pro (insert coach here) vs. anti (insert coach here)

Pro (insert AD here) vs. anti (insert AD here)

Football vs. Basketball fans (which is stupid - cheer for every Razorback team)

Razorback fans vs. state of Arkansas fans - this one is hard to define but there are Razorback fans who wait for us to struggle to try and prop their fledgling FCS or sunbelt program.  They are only Razorback fans when we are good.  When we struggle they transform into purple cub/red pup fans.  I'm sure we will see Ouachita Baptist basketball fans claim that the Hogs are scared to play them now that they beat Little Rock.  Trojan fans will blame the Razorbacks (or the swine as they call us) for the loss.

There will always be a divide.  Wins help mask the divide but even then there will be somebody complaining about how the crowd sounds quiet..... which reminds me of another divide-

Fans who attend games vs. Fans who bitch about attendance.

This right here is the truth.  There might be a left the majority of Razorback fans are ready (beyond ready) for Bielema to be gone.

There was no division in the fanbase until the Nutt fiasco. 

FOTH is right, but I would add this - the fanbase is not nearly as divided as social media.  And every fanbase is divided on social media, mostly about utterly trivial things. 

Arkansas, however, is unique in that it has something very tangible and firmly rooted in it's history that will divide it unless addressed with great finesse and political genius.  The "GSD" is not some acronym wittily ascribed by keyboard jockeys.  The way Jeff Long has handled the matter publicly is mind boggling.  It is no laughing matter.  Tubberville is right, but whether he's right or not doesn't matter.  If the UofA doesn't stop sending the message to the rest of the state that they don't matter, the rest of the state will eventually get the message.  Looks like it is already sinking in.  And that needs to stop.  Yesterday.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

26.2Hog

Quote from: EastexHawg on November 12, 2017, 07:47:24 pm

Ding Ding Ding

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 12, 2017, 08:14:53 pm

FOTH is right, but I would add this - the fanbase is not nearly as divided as social media.  And every fanbase is divided on social media, mostly about utterly trivial things. 

Arkansas, however, is unique in that it has something very tangible and firmly rooted in it's history that will divide it unless addressed with great finesse and political genius.  The "GSD" is not some acronym wittily ascribed by keyboard jockeys.  The way Jeff Long has handled the matter publicly is mind boggling.  It is no laughing matter.  Tubberville is right, but whether he's right or not doesn't matter.  If the UofA doesn't stop sending the message to the rest of the state that they don't matter, the rest of the state will eventually get the message.  Looks like it is already sinking in.  And that needs to stop.  Yesterday.

Gus will be the closest thing we could do to get back into another Nutt situation.  Hope he wins more.

You want the university to have the football team play another 20 years in WMS and apologize constantly for it not being more often? 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 12, 2017, 08:14:53 pm

The GSD is only going to end one way and it's been a long time coming.  The way you keep central and eastern Arkansas connected and involved in Arkansas's team is recruiting.  We have got to stop this disrespectful treatment of the eastern Arkansas athlete.  You simply don't forget the disenfranchised and underserved in your own state.

Paulsooie

Not possible to be united on everything.  Heard a wise old man once say, " if you and I agree on everything, then one of us stopped thinking".  However, winning makes it a whole lot simpler to find something less divisive to argue over.  Much more fun to argue over whether we should run or pass more while winning, than to have daily arguments over why we should fire someone or who would have been a better fit and that we knew it all along. 
If it ain't broke, break it and see what happens!

WilsonHog

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on November 12, 2017, 08:13:25 pm
I've got a question, along these lines when we were hearing all the negative stuff during the Petrino years dispite winning did you post concerns like this or was it that "I don't like that guy"?  Seems to me people's concern(that we are fractured)are mostly situational.

I don't remember posting much about Petrino. I removed a lot of posts that were critical of him. I definitely think the "divided fan base" argument is situational, and also unavoidable, and also irrelevant.

ballz2thewall

everyone likes headset bret.

he's a blustering con man. he's lazy and isn't good at what he professes. he puts consistent crap on the field.

he's the type of guy that's acting busy and knowledgeable, but hasn't done jack shiit at the end of the day.

yeah....i love him.
The rest of the frog.

hassettsportsman

Much of the divided fan base scenario falls squarely on AD Jeff Long.  He created most of the drama regarding Broyles loyalists and the anti-Frank regime.  His hiring failures and poor handling of the Petrino incident place him at the forefront as the name/face of the Athletic Dept.  The stadium expansion and cost over runs are on his doorstep.  Paying for loyalty regarding ticket pricing is in his domain too!  Obviously, a new head coach will bind the wounds of the Hog nation.  But, a new AD would give us a total makeover!

VBHOG

Message board posters tend to be extremists one way or another and should not be considered as representative of the entire fanbase.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hassettsportsman on November 12, 2017, 08:23:58 pm
Much of the divided fan base scenario falls squarely on AD Jeff Long.  He created most of the drama regarding Broyles loyalists and the anti-Frank regime. 

No. 

ricepig

Quote from: hassettsportsman on November 12, 2017, 08:23:58 pm
Much of the divided fan base scenario falls squarely on AD Jeff Long.  He created most of the drama regarding Broyles loyalists and the anti-Frank regime.  His hiring failures and poor handling of the Petrino incident place him at the forefront as the name/face of the Athletic Dept.  The stadium expansion and cost over runs are on his doorstep.  Paying for loyalty regarding ticket pricing is in his domain too!  Obviously, a new head coach will bind the wounds of the Hog nation.  But, a new AD would give us a total makeover!

What cost over runs, the general contractor gave a GMP.

PossumFan

Another divide: "We aren't a win-at-all-costs program" vs. "If you aren't cheating, you aren't trying."   

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: VBHOG on November 12, 2017, 08:25:00 pm
Message board posters tend to be extremists one way or another and should not be considered as representative of the entire fanbase.

But when bloggers, who suddenly have earned the title of journalist, go to message boards and use quotes that they use in their blogs which are ridiculously considered articles, the extremists have a voice.  That's a major part of the problem.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: PossumFan on November 12, 2017, 08:30:14 pm
Another divide: "We aren't a win-at-all-costs program" vs. "If you aren't cheating, you aren't trying."

No divide.  Stupid childish message board trolling which I suspect will change to something else after Bielema is gone. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on November 12, 2017, 08:30:33 pm
But when bloggers, who suddenly have earned the title of journalist, go to message boards and use quotes that they use in their blogs which are ridiculously considered articles, the extremists have a voice.  That's a major part of the problem.

SECCountry is awful.  I don't even consider that site Andy Hodges on as a legit blog. 

factchecker

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on November 12, 2017, 08:30:33 pm

Great point.   When was it deemed acceptable to use hogville or facebook as a source?  There have been some articles written that you can tell the material was ripped directly from a thread here.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on November 12, 2017, 08:19:57 pm
We have got to stop this disrespectful treatment of the eastern Arkansas athlete.  You simply don't forget the disenfranchised and underserved in your own state.

This is a serious question:  Who are you referring to?

It seems like we've missed out on some players from Central Arkansas (Crockett), River Valley (Norwood), and even NWA (Byers, Powell).  Who did we not offer or disrespect from eastern Arkansas?
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

hoglady

The fan base was pretty darned united when Bobby Petrino was hired.
There were a few detractors but I don't recall very many.
Excitement by most everyone is what I remember.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Pigstie

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on November 12, 2017, 07:37:47 pm

Couldn't agree more. Especially the disease part. If we are winning, all of a sudden Bert is Bret, being overweight is not even noticed, the blank look on his face is just calm solitude. Winning changes everything.
The views and opinions of this poster are personal only, and are not one of a professional coach or X Box player.  Beware the Mall Cop.

From Tusk Till Dawn

So does this mean we are hiring a new head coach?  ;)