Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

This team reminds me of the 96 squad

Started by makiavelli, November 11, 2017, 11:57:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

makiavelli

This team reminds me of the squad that Nolan brought in after the runner up year. Very athletic at every spot, good shooters, and has the potential to blow any team out on any night. I still say that 96 team could have been our best team ever but watching the game last night I got flashes of that squad.
Wally Hall is an angry lil guy

FineAsSwine

C'mon man. They were hot and Samford was cold. Don't read too much into it. It was just one game.

rwspear

Quote from: FineAsSwine on November 11, 2017, 12:27:20 pm
C'mon man. They were hot and Samford was cold. Don't read too much into it. It was just one game.

is that the only thing you took away from the game?

tusksincolorado

C’mon man. They were hot and Samford was cold. Don’t read too much into it. It was just one game.

Don't you dare get your hopes up and excited about this season....
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

bigred223

However, we made it very difficult for them. Our defense deserves credit.

makiavelli

The athleticism at every spot is what reminds of the 96 squad. Didnt say we were as good as them, but that jumped out at me. We were flying all over the place. We haven't had that for a while I don't think.
Wally Hall is an angry lil guy

hawgball40

if by cold you mean bothered by our defensive length and missing shots, turning the ball over, and suffering shot clock violations, then yes, they were cold. real story is we chased them off the 3 point line and funneled them to the middle for gafford to bully all who entered. and it worked great. now in the second half we saw some breakdowns allowing them to get some contested 3's off that went, and really all you can say there is that they made big shots, despite our defense. very rarely did they have an open look from 3. maybe 4 or 5 all night.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: hawgball40 on November 11, 2017, 03:24:59 pm
if by cold you mean bothered by our defensive length and missing shots, turning the ball over, and suffering shot clock violations, then yes, they were cold. real story is we chased them off the 3 point line and funneled them to the middle for gafford to bully all who entered. and it worked great. now in the second half we saw some breakdowns allowing them to get some contested 3's off that went, and really all you can say there is that they made big shots, despite our defense. very rarely did they have an open look from 3. maybe 4 or 5 all night.

We did play some solid defense and I really liked our rotations and effort in the half court. Seeing them do the same against Bucknell will be really encouraging in terms of showing that we may be able to bring that type of consistency every game so that, when our shots aren't falling, we can fall back on our defense and still win some games when our offense might not be clicking.

HogFoo

I kind of agree with you.  jesse pate was a scoring machine.  we had Bradley, reeves, hood, saxon,  and quite a few even those the top guys from that class which at the time was supposed to be 'the greatest class in basketball' at the time didn't make it to campus.  heck, what did we have 10 players ?  it was a ton!  then later we lose Adebayo and pate, and ya know, we didn't even unleash 40mins of hell that year until we got to the tourney.  And then we get to the sweet 16.   saxon left after that season and went to Memphis I believe.  which later Adebayo  ends up there as well.    but yeah that team had a lot of talent. 

I like this years team.  they have some very very good guards.  we have a big shot blocker inside who is going to erase a lot of shots this year with gafford.  we'll be even better with Hall developing and again, hopefully garland can get cleared.  itd be nice to have 2 guys 6'6-6'7    It'd be really nice once we get Cook and dustin back to give us some depth so that we can try to put more pressure on.  right now, we don't have the depth, but when our shots are falling, look out!  hopefully they'll continue to fall the rest of the season.  because there will be nights when shots don't fall and our defense will need to be on point.    tomorrow will be a good test though.  I think we'll win.  probably not as easy as Friday, but I think we'll win by at least 15pts. 

this is a good team.  like one of the other threads a guy was imploring fans to show up to the games.  I too am like that poster, not in real good physical condition, still recovering from back surgery, but I am going to try to go to all the games I can as well. 
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............