Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Allen under center is a bad practice.

Started by elviscat, September 25, 2017, 09:14:24 am

Previous topic - Next topic

elviscat

Notice, the amount of  time it takes for AA you take a snap and then setup, make his reads and deliver the ball. This is the major reason he is getting nail so often. Coaches are asking him to do too much. It only makes sense to direct snap the ball to QB giving him more time to make the reads and then throwing.

Tiredofhogssucking

I agree.  Our O line is a weakness.  It's better if we can get the QB away from them and let the QB start progressions or reads as quickly as possible.  It's time to DUMP, the QB under center as our base offensive set. 
It can still be used (sparingly) but should be limited to situational down and distance to gain.

arkfan81

Quote from: Tiredofhogssucking on September 25, 2017, 10:26:12 am
I agree.  Our O line is a weakness.  It's better if we can get the QB away from them and let the QB start progressions or reads as quickly as possible.  It's time to DUMP, the QB under center as our base offensive set. 
It can still be used (sparingly) but should be limited to situational down and distance to gain.

The reason we are under center is for the run play and play action. It's part of our scheme offensively.
Have faith...

Tiredofhogssucking

Quote from: arkfan81 on September 25, 2017, 10:38:51 am
The reason we are under center is for the run play and play action. It's part of our scheme offensively.
I'm pretty sure we can still run play action in the Pistol or any other offensive set where the QB carries out a fake to a RB and does not have to be under the center.  Most college offenses have moved the QB away from the O lines and they still carry out a play action fake.  Our scheme offensively doesn't fit the Oline talent we currently have on campus. 

Also, moving QB away from Oline will open the playbook to more RPOs (run-pass-options).

arkfan81

Quote from: Tiredofhogssucking on September 25, 2017, 10:43:19 am
I'm pretty sure we can still run play action in the Pistol or any other offensive set where the QB carries out a fake to a RB and does not have to be under the center.  Most college offenses have moved the QB away from the O lines and they still carry out a play action fake.  Our scheme offensively doesn't fit the Oline talent we currently have on campus. 

Also, moving QB away from Oline will open the playbook to more RPOs (run-pass-options).

That's true.. good point
Have faith...

SemperFi

Quote from: elviscat on September 25, 2017, 09:14:24 am
Notice, the amount of  time it takes for AA you take a snap and then setup, make his reads and deliver the ball. This is the major reason he is getting nail so often. Coaches are asking him to do too much. It only makes sense to direct snap the ball to QB giving him more time to make the reads and then throwing.

He's also a senior and should by now be able to read a defense or check out of a bad play and into a good one. Agreed that the OL isn't do a good enough job of providing better pass protection for him, but then again how long does he need to hold onto the ball before he should be getting rid of it? Also, instead of bouncing around the pocket and taking a sack what's wrong with tucking it and running for what you can get? As a senior I expect more, we should all expect more. He probably get's more one on one coaching than any other player on the team and that should be to his benefit, but it does not translate onto the field.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Piggfoot

I couldn't agree more. Allen is too slow coming away from center and many times his foot work is poor in doing so. He starts back with the wrong foot too often.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: elviscat on September 25, 2017, 09:14:24 am
I don't see why it's taking him so long. He's only making one read. Either that or he's just staring down his main read. Example, the last play of the game. He had plenty of room to the right to either look or take off running but instead he chooses to throw into triple coverage.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

longpig

Quote from: arkfan81 on September 25, 2017, 10:38:51 am

Yeh, it's those plays where AA takes the snap then runs it back 5 yards to hand off/pass with no receiver crossing shallow that is dumb.  The ILB stays put 2 seconds then blitzes.
Don't be scared, be smart.

hawgon

Where do you even find high school QBs these days used to going under center?  For that matter, where do you find linemen used to blocking for a traditional I formation and pass protection for a QB taking that sort of drop?

Part of our problem developing linemen could be that we are simply having to teach old dogs new tricks and some of them don't learn them very well.

Tiredofhogssucking

Yes...It seems the coaches are somewhat stubborn on this aspect of our offense.  They keep sticking with QB under center, when the Shotgun or Pistol would help both the QB and Oline.  I'm pretty sure that's why you see smaller schools (Non-Power-Five) almost exclusively use an offense where the QB is away from the Oline. 

Most shotgun QBs at the collegiate level don't have to develop the footwork and timing necessary for playing under center.  Under center takes a great deal more footwork and since you have a narrower view of the field it's harder to assess where to go with the ball and where pressure may come from.

Piggfoot

Quote from: longpig on September 25, 2017, 02:18:42 pm
Yeh, it's those plays where AA takes the snap then runs it back 5 yards to hand off/pass with no receiver crossing shallow that is dumb.  The ILB s rt ays put 2 seconds then blitzes.
too slow developing
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Atlhogfan1

I despise the playaction when the defense has no respect for it.  Waste of time and takes qb's eyes off the field.  If we had a consistently good power running game then it would work. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

PLHawg

CBB is just super stubborn and keeps trying to fit a round peg in a square hole.  The under center drop back pass IS NOT WORKING!  DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT!

theFlyingHog

Quote from: PLHawg on September 25, 2017, 05:10:43 pm
CBB is just super stubborn and keeps trying to fit a round peg in a square hole.  The under center drop back pass IS NOT WORKING!  DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT!
You're right. Scoring 43 points in an SEC game is a joke.

Youngsta71701

Do we have any 3 step drop plays with quick slants and some quick outs? I believe we do but I haven't seen much of that yet this year. May be time to bring it out. And what about some draw plays?
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

hawgon

Quote from: theFlyingHog on September 26, 2017, 06:59:38 am
You're right. Scoring 43 points in an SEC game is a joke.

With our defense, it obviously is.  We are going to have to outscore anyone with a pulse on offense.