Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Losses This Season Are Not Why We are Upset

Started by davglo35, September 23, 2017, 08:02:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

davglo35

Program was a dumpster fire when BB arrived. First year 3-9 0-8 SEC.

2nd season was a big improvement. Won some SEC games and Won the Texas Bowl against our most hated rival. 7-6 2-6 SEC

3rd Season was an Improvement but hould have been better. This was one of the two season where the hogs should have really had a good eecord but losses to TOLEDO and TEXAS TECH early in the season were inexcusable.  Yea I know Toledo was good but we are Arkansas. Not some also ran program. 8-5 overall. 10 wins should have happened. 6-2 SEC

4th Season was another year of good players and 9 or 10 wins were very doable. Almost lose to Louisiana Tech and then late in the year we lose to lowly Missouri in a fashion that is embarrassing. Had the game won and choked. Then we head to the  Belk bowl against a mediocre Virginia Tech team and repeat the same thing as against Missouri. 9 wins were 2 choke jobs away.

If Arkansas had won 10 in 2015 and 9 in 2016 all this talk about firing BB and JL wouldn't be happening. This would be considered a rebuilding year.

We lost all our WRs except Cornelius. Lost all our running backs except Whaley. Lost most of the OL except Ragnow.

We are in a rebuild and nobody is talking about it because of the losses to Toledo, TT and the meltdowns against MO and VT.

code red

Quote from: davglo35 on September 23, 2017, 08:02:57 pm

2nd season was a big improvement. Won some SEC games and Won the Texas Bowl against our most hated rival. 7-6 2-6 SEC

3rd Season was an Improvement but hould have been better. This was one of the two season where the hogs should have really had a good eecord but losses to TOLEDO and TEXAS TECH early in the season were inexcusable.  Yea I know Toledo was good but we are Arkansas. Not some also ran program. 8-5 overall. 10 wins should have happened. 6-2 SEC

4th Season was another year of good players and 9 or 10 wins were very doable. Almost lose to Louisiana Tech and then late in the year we lose to lowly Missouri in a fashion that is embarrassing. Had the game won and choked. Then we head to the  Belk bowl against a mediocre Virginia Tech team and repeat the same thing as against Missouri. 9 wins were 2 choke jobs away.

If Arkansas had won 10 in 2015 and 9 in 2016 all this talk about firing BB and JL wouldn't be happening. This would be considered a rebuilding year.

We lost all our WRs except Cornelius. Lost all our running backs except Whaley. Lost most of the OL except Ragnow.

We are in a rebuild and nobody is talking about it because of the losses to Toledo, TT and the meltdowns against MO and VT.
we are in a rebuild because there is too many misses in recruiting right now. Go back and look at the stats. Bret Bielema as best year recruiting was his first year. After that it's falling off significantly.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

davglo35

Quote from: code red on September 23, 2017, 08:04:35 pm
we are in a rebuild because there is too many misses in recruiting right now. Go back and look at the stats. Bret Bielema as best year recruiting was his first year. After that it's falling off significantly.
You are right...but if BB had won the games he lost to overmatched teams all this talk wouldn't be happening. He would get a pass from 90% of the fan base. 9 and 10 wins in the present SEC  would be considered a success and we would be striving for more and behind BB 100%.

davglo35

You do not lose to Toledo, and TT and have meltdowns with the caliber of players we had on tbise 2 teams.
My son is a big Hog fan and he was excited about this season but I told him this was a rebuilding year and 6 - 6 would be about right.

lahawg1

I am more concerned with the games like Auburn last year. When you are an embarrassment to your school it's time to go.

Bacons Rebellion

Yes, if won a bunch of games that we lost, we wouldn't be complaining as much. You are right.

But the problem is we did lose to Toledo and Texas Tech and Rutgers and Texas A&M, and Texas A&M, and Texas A&M, and to LSU on a desperation 99 yard drive with a freshman qb. Different coordinators, different position coaches, same result, good first half, collapse in the second half.

For a brief moment, I thought we had overcome it with OT wins against Auburn and Ole Miss, but that was short lived. We lost some seniors that had taught themselves how to overcome Bielemaitis and the disease returned.

In five years we have never had a come from behind victory. Bielema's teams play like girls in the 4th quarter. It's a disease he carries.

lasthog

Just curious, has UA ever gone winless in the SEC in other seasons? Sincere question.

DeltaBoy

He failed in 5 years to build depth and a solid Oline!  Heck this bunch we be HARD PRESSED to beat Memphis aka Tiger High this year!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: lasthog on September 23, 2017, 08:21:27 pm

Just curious, has UA ever gone winless in the SEC in other seasons? Sincere question.

No it has not. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

I usually don't pay attention to these things but has Hogville noticed how well the Georgia OC is conducting himself.  Many of these assistants were decent before getting to Arkansas and then do well after leaving but cannot do much for Arkansas and BB.

Letsroll1200

It does not take 5 years to build a quality offensive line and special teams. If special teams and the offensive line play was average than you win that game.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: 12247 on September 23, 2017, 08:24:55 pm
I usually don't pay attention to these things but has Hogville noticed how well the Georgia OC is conducting himself.  Many of these assistants were decent before getting to Arkansas and then do well after leaving but cannot do much for Arkansas and BB.

Where was Cheney good at before Georgia? 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Bubba's Bruisers

Um, average teams choke, because they're average.  BB has not put a team on the field capable of 10 wins. 

In 2015, I'll give you Toledo, but TT just straight up whipped us.  Nothing fluky about it.  And we shouldn't have beaten OM that year either, but it took one heck of a fluke miracle for it to happen.  It goes both ways.  We were 8-4 at best in 2015.

In 2016, the only game that was an anomaly was Mizzou.  The rest of the games resulted as expected...we pretty much beat the teams we should or could have, but lost to the teams that were better...including VT.  We were again 8-4 at best in 2016.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Bacons Rebellion

I'm not sure Alvarez's checkbook was the reason Bielema los so many assistants at Wisconsin.

go hogues

Chaney had better talent at Tenn and GA.
I know everyone gets a hard on for our "5 star heart" haul each year but it's pretty obvious we can't compete against teams with actual 5 star talent.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

lasthog

I watched some of the game and got the same feeling.

But except for Mizu, every SEC team I watched today had players all over the field that appeared to have great size and speed. The musculature of many was far more developed than what we see in many of our guys.

I don't know how much of that is attributable more to the recruitment of superior athletes or more to the S & C programs.

I didn't watch Vandy, though.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on September 23, 2017, 08:32:10 pm
I'm not sure Alvarez's checkbook was the reason Bielema los so many assistants at Wisconsin.

BB was wearing out his welcome with the fans in Madison his last couple years...as I recall.  And I'm sure Alvarez was heavily involved in the program.   I still think we were an escape for him.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

davglo35

As the OP all Im trying to say is that BB peaked in his 3rd and 4th season. We lost games we shouldnt have and his tenure here should end. I never criticized him or praised him either but now we see what we have in him as a coach. It's time to move on.

The Great Hambino

I'm pretty upset by CBB's decision to not change from his pajamas to attire fitting of a head coach. I get it, you are a fat slob, but at least dress like a fat slob of a coach.

Bacons Rebellion

Quote from: davglo35 on September 23, 2017, 08:38:26 pm
As the OP all Im trying to say is that BB peaked in his 3rd and 4th season. We lost games we shouldnt have and his tenure here should end. I never criticized him or praised him either but now we see what we have in him as a coach. It's time to move on.

I agree. CBB peaked in 2015.  It is time to move on. It's just a matter of how and when it is financed.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: davglo35 on September 23, 2017, 08:10:45 pm
You are right...but if

If a frog had wings he wouldn't bump his butt when he jumped.

Razor1997

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on September 23, 2017, 08:53:47 pm
I agree. CBB peaked in 2015.  It is time to move on. It's just a matter of how and when it is financed.

Well, none of us can afford his buyout, and the big money has better things to do with its money, so let's just enjoy being losers until the end of 2019.

Großer Kriegschwein

This is my non-signature signature.

Jek Tono Porkins

Agreed. I can take a team with underwhelming talent as long as they play to their potential. But a problem in the Bielema era is that the team lost games they really should have won, and they all had a common problem. Let's take a look at each one of those games individually.

As bad as that 2013 team was, they should have beaten Rutgers, Mississippi State, and LSU. All of those games had one thing in common: a scoreless 4th quarter.

2014, they should have beaten A&M and Mizzou. Again, scoreless 4th quarters. They could have beaten Bama and Mississippi State but with the talent level they shouldn't have even been in those games so you can't complain about that. But again, scoreless 4th quarters.

2015, definitely should have beaten Toledo. Just inexcusable. Scored a field goal in the 4th quarter so I guess that's progress of a kind but couldn't punch it in the deep red zone to lose the game. Should have beaten Texas Tech and once again, scoreless 4th quarter in that game. Should have beaten Mississippi State as well, and we did score in the 4th quarter, but we lost that game due to another chronic issue with the Bielema era: the inability to make field goals.

Now we come to 2016. Started off with a lackluster win over LA Tech, then we come to TCU. Eeked that one out, but I was at that game and I thought for sure we were going to have a standard 4th quarter meltdown. Thank goodness for all 6' 11" of Dan Skipper. Should definitely have beaten Mizzou and V-Tech. Wanna take a gander at the problems with those games? If you guessed scoreless 4th quarter, you win half a cookie. Both of those game had scoreless SECOND HALVES.

Here we are in this season. Lost to TCU. Again, scoreless second half complete with TWO PAT-difficulty missed field goals. Lost to A&M today. Actually scored 18 points in the 4th quarter but when you give up 19 in the 4th quarter that doesn't mean much.

Here's the deal; I can deal with 4th quarter meltdowns because all teams have them (except when they play us), it's just that you expect to win a couple of those. I excused them in the early couple of years because you expect that problem (along with the field goal woes) to eventually be fixed. I mean hell Petrino had field goal issues with Tejada but they were made up for and then some with Hocker.

However, unbelievably abysmal 4th quarter meltdowns have been a staple of these Bielema-coached teams for going on 5 years now. If he hasn't fixed that problem in almost 4 and a half years I don't expect they will ever be fixed. You just can't win very many games if you don't score in the 4th quarter and at the same time give up 14 points or more in the 4th quarter like these Bielema-coached teams have habitually done. My confidence in Bielema is irrevocably destroyed and I used to be one of his most strident supporters. It's time for a change.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

JaketheSnake

Quote from: The Great Hambino on September 23, 2017, 08:38:49 pm
I'm pretty upset by CBB's decision to not change from his pajamas to attire fitting of a head coach. I get it, you are a fat slob, but at least dress like a fat slob of a coach.
Plenty of things to be frustrated with besides CBB's shirt. 

jm

I don't care if we win a game all year if they can just do something about the lack of defense

The Great Hambino

Quote from: JaketheSnake on September 23, 2017, 09:23:52 pm
Plenty of things to be frustrated with besides CBB's shirt. 

But we aren't allowed to criticize anyone but the coach here...

code red

Square peg in a round hole.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

jimmur74

If if if if if

jst01

Inhogswetrust

The question thus becomes is "WHY are we rebuilding in year 5 if we had those kinds of records in 15 and 16".
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi